Extraordinary Measures (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
attachment.php?attachmentid=173936&d=1272221906
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 2010 - CBS Films
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Harrison Ford, Brendon Fraser, Keri Russell
Directed by: Tom Vaughan
Music by: Andrea Guerra
Written by: Robert Nelson Jacobs
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 18, 2010

"Don't hope for a miracle. Make one."

Film Synopsis:

In the tradition of great inspirational dramas like the Academy Award nominated film 'Erin Brockovich' and 'The Pursuit of Happyness,' 'Extraordinary Measures' is inspired by the true story of John Crowley, a man who defied conventional wisdom and great odds, and risked his family's future to pursue a cure for his children's life threatening disease.

My Take:

From what I had heard about 'Extraordinary Measures' I was expecting a hardcore tearjerker. Well I didn't cry, not once. It did try, and yes it almost got me...but it was not made with that intent and that was the only refreshing thing about it. It could have focused on the terrible nature of Pompe disease and what the family was going through but instead it followed the father of 2 children with the disease and his personal crusade to do whatever it takes to help them.

The night John Crowley's (Brendan Fraser) daughter Megan ‘almost’ died changed his life. Without the knowledge of his wife (Keri Russell), he jumps on a plane to track down a college professor who is doing cutting edge research. The eccentric Dr. Robert Stonehill (Harrison Ford) just might have a treatment for the untreatable Pompe disease (a form of muscular dystrophy); He just doesn't have any funding for his research. Together they throw caution to the wind; leave there cushy jobs and lives behind to join the sharks of the Bio-Tech world with their new start-up. We are then treated to an hour of the obligatory ups and downs of trying to make a drug with big business breathing down you neck, buy outs, personality clashes and of course a final product.

'Extraordinary Measures' does take a different path than expected; unfortunately it still hits every cliché on the road along its way. I felt the film was just a bit off balance; it needed a bit more puppeteering of the heart strings to get the viewer more involved in John’s plight with less focus on the business aspect of the story. Harrison Ford was perfectly comfortable playing ‘Dr. Robert Stonehill’, the stubborn, classic rock blaring, rebel scientist and Brendan Fraser was believable (though slightly wooded as always) as ‘John Crowley’, the determined father who goes to “extraordinary measures” for his children. A really good cast and a promising ‘inspired by a true story’ story doesn't make a great movie. In this case digging deeper inside these people would have. It missed a sense of true-life emotion and frustration. It missed being pissed off and screaming and banging fists on the desk…I just missed really making me care deep down. Unfortunately missing that mark is a big failure to a film with this type of subject matter.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG for thematic material, language and a mild suggestive moment.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373696

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

'Extraordinary Measures' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

Sony, Sony, Sony...again you make it impossible to give your treatment of a non-catalog title low marks. 'Extraordinary Measures' is an almost flawless looking Blu-ray. The limited dark scenes seemed right on as did its shadow details. Colors and flesh-tones are life-like and transfer well from outdoor lighting to fluorescents of the laboratory or hospital room. Details like pores and lines on a face to the wood of the Crowley's new house were resolved and visible, adding to making this a top-tier video experience. There is a healthy dose of film grain that did at times peek its head a bit more than I like to see, bordering on 'noise'. Remember boys and girls, film grain should be there...especially if its filmed on film!!

The DTS HD Master Audio track could have easily been 3.1 as the effect channels had hardly any activity. Did they need then, no...so I am not going to penalize the track for that. Did it have gut wrenching low frequency extension, no as it didn't have moments that called for it. It did have a crisp and clear track of dialogue and some loud classic rock. Everything that was supposed be heard and comprehended was, there were no glaring issues and it complimented the film just fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Meet John Crowley

• (HD) 'Extraordinary Measures:' The Power to Overcome

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Trailers

• movieIQ+sync

• BD-Live Enabled

Final Thoughts:

'Extraordinary Measures' is an easily forgettable film that was just good enough not to be a complete and utter waste of time. At least Sony made it look good; Now if the movies can be as great as these transfers we would be the luckiest geeks alive! The 2 special featurettes on this release were pretty run-of-the-mill stuff, though it did have a bunch of HD trailers. I hate to say it, but this is a 'catch it on cable' type of film. If it wasn't for its cast, it could have easily been mistaken for a made for TV movie.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5850
Greetings,

Thanks Lee.

Check the formatting. The jacket pic is above the ratings..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #3 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Going into this I saw mixed reviews (some very good - some bad) and I was hoping for the best, if for no other reason than the cast. But I couldn't agree more with Lee, this one was disppointing and very forgettable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Come on Lee, it wasn't that bad...although I agree with your ratings...

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Thanks Lee.

Check the formatting. The jacket pic is above the ratings..

Regards,

Oy! Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Come on Lee, it wasn't that bad...although I agree with your ratings...

I liked Dear John more!! Thats saying something...
post #6 of 12 Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'll guess I will pass this one all together... I was in Movie Stop and they had
2 used copies already... I did pick up Falling Down and Brothers @ 13 bucks
each roughly.

I'll save my money on this one...
post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm not quite as harsh as Lee on this one, but it really could have been much, much better. Harrison Ford was the only thing halfway holding it together. The entire production felt low budget, and Brendon Fraser was just horrible. I honestly feel that if Brendon Fraser would have been recast by someone more fitting, this film could have been respectable.

The extras were nice to watch, seeing the real family behind the movie.

Felt more like a made for TV movie.

PQ was very nice. Nothing to complain about in that department. The soundtrack is not dynamic (nor should it be for a film like this), so there isn't much to comment on. Dialogue was nice and clear.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 3.5 out of 5, Film 2.5 out of 5

Dan
post #8 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sorry that I rented it as I enjoyed it to tell the truth (especially when the price was right) and I didn't feel it a waste of time. Buying it would be a different issue as it offers no replay value for me.

To reiterate the previous post, the BD quality was very good especially the PQ. There isn't lots to the audio as mentioned and the only thing that would be a distraction to me therefore would be a low and muffled dialog in a talk fest movie and there was no concern with that at all with my equipment.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought the story was amazing, wonderful and very inspirational. Although it was kind of lagging at times but the ending was just priceless!

Looking for hope and inspiration? Then check this movie out.

Collect!

Cheers
post #10 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Lee, you liked Dear John more?? WTF lol

Actually, I thought the acting in this film was borderline bad, and I do agree that it was heavy on the cliches, but the saving grace for me was that it was based on a true story. I think it was very interesting to see how things got done, so assuming this was close to the actual real life scenario, I enjoyed it from that perspective.

Dear John was crap! lol
post #11 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Lee, you liked Dear John more?? WTF lol

Actually, I thought the acting in this film was borderline bad, and I do agree that it was heavy on the cliches, but the saving grace for me was that it was based on a true story. I think it was very interesting to see how things got done, so assuming this was close to the actual real life scenario, I enjoyed it from that perspective.

Dear John was crap! lol

I know! Id rather look at Seyfried then sit through this drivel!
Something just didn't sit right for me. My wife liked it more than Dear John.

Its based on a book based on a true story. I assume it got smoothed out, tweaked to fit the mold and lost its overall heart. Plus it even said "inspired by a true story".
post #12 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

I know! Id rather look at Seyfried then sit through this drivel!
Something just didn't sit right for me. My wife liked it more than Dear John.

Its based on a book based on a true story. I assume it got smoothed out, tweaked to fit the mold and lost its overall heart. Plus it even said "inspired by a true story".

You do make a good point about Seyfried...her character was a total flake, but not her fault
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Extraordinary Measures Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page