Iron man 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

Target has it on sale for $17.99 for the one Disc Bluray if you don't need or care for the Digital Copy and DVD combo pack.

Wow! That's an awesome price for a BR! Did you by any chance notice how much it is for the 3-disc combo pack? Hope it's on sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Wow! That's an awesome price for a BR! Did you by any chance notice how much it is for the 3-disc combo pack? Hope it's on sale.

Yes, the 3 Disc Combo Pack is $29.99 and a Target Exclusive Metal Case 3 Disc Combo is $36.99.
post #33 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7330 Post(s)
Liked: 16695
Quote:

Yes, the 3 Disc Combo Pack is $29.99 and a Target Exclusive Metal Case 3 Disc Combo is $36.99.

My metal case version just arrived in the mailbox! Whoo-hoo!

Let the carnage begin.

Advertisement

post #34 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Target has it on sale for $17.99 for the one Disc Bluray if you don't need or care for the Digital Copy and DVD combo pack.

Keep in mind that all of the special features listed under Disc #2 above will also be missing.

Ralph,

Your listing makes it appear as if the DVD version and the digital copy are also on the second disc. They're on a third disc, correct?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #35 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Your listing makes it appear as if the DVD version and the digital copy are also on the second disc. They're on a third disc, correct?

Correct.

Disc 1 is the film and some special features.
Disc 2 is the BD special features (all HD)
Disc 3 is the DVD & digital copy.

The single disc BD consists of only disc 1.
post #36 of 99 Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Bestbuy online has the $17.99 for the single Blu-Ray disc. Pick-up in store and the price tag was labeled $27.99 but still received one disc. Maybe that was the intro price.

Anyway, the movie was good. This is the first time I've seen it. I don't know why they replaced Terrence Howard? I thought he did a great job and preferred him over Don. To tell you the truth, I was a bit confused at first. Rick was the perfect person to play the character but seeing him type with those rusty fingers is weird.
post #37 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Keep in mind that all of the special features listed under Disc #2 above will also be missing.

Ralph,

Greetings,

Correct. I have edited the review to properly reflect that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #38 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
I watched this last night. The subwoofer got a real workout during several scenes. Though I will say the surrounds weren't engaged as much as I had thought they would be. I even went back to watch the final (high action) scene to confirm by standing right by my surround speaker that it really wasn't that active. I thought the video was very good. Overall, I enjoyed the movie.
post #39 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Liked: 19
I'm glad I rented this for a buck as the screenplay is right up there with SpeedRacer and Transformers II.

Comic book plots give a good excuse to rationalize shallow superficial movie plot and call it good. Expect to see new types of tattoos. Mickey Rourke needs to take a shower for his next role.
However Garry Shandling (the senator) had a classic line when he pinned the medal on your hero.
Who is going to identify with Robert John Downey Jr's new egotistical, arrogant, drunken personality?
This genius then discovers a new element. Is the drivel written at a forth grade level?

Samuel L. Jackson's patch and secret agency was not believable.

Scarlett Johansson role was interesting not being cast as a sex kitten.

The best movie I've watched recently is Baraka, $15 at BestBuy. Several people have asked for it to be reviewed, but to no avail.
post #40 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Is the drivel written at a forth grade level?

Oh the Irony
post #41 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM

I, like others here (I suspect) like to read reviews at various other BD/HD related sites in addition to this one. The overall consensus of the quality of the video/audio on the Iron Man 2 BD is good (4.5 & 5 out of 5 star reviews). I personally can not comment on this as I won't be watching mine until Saturday however, I found these discrepancies concerning the video to be amusing:

From highdefdigest.com's review:
Quote:

"While there isn't a single speck of grain, the transfer has a wonderfully lush, film-like appearance, thanks largely to the sleek and layered cinematography by Matthew Libatique."

From hidefdiscnews.com's review:
Quote:

"There is a substantially visible amount of film grain present in some scenes more-so than others; in darker scenes especially."

From blu-ray.com's review:
Quote:

"A handsome layer of film grain is retained over the image, and the print is meticulously clean and free of any distracting hairs, scratches, or pops."

So, did these guys all watch the same disc? I guess maybe what they saw depends on the quality of the display gear they were using but if you're writing BD reviews I would assume your gear is pretty good. It seems however, that picture grain present vs picture grain not present would be fairly cut and dry. It's not really an opinion thing. It's either there or it isn't.

I should also mention that I'm fine with either (some grain/no grain) as long as it looks good (and as intended) . This is merely an observation and as I said, I just found it amusing. Just thought I'd share it.
post #42 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohlich View Post

oh the irony

And in an Iron Man thread of all places.
post #43 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
In chapter 10, when Rhodes flys to the airforce base there is a wall shaking amount of bass

Colton

My Home Theater
post #44 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

In chapter 10, when Rhodes flys to the airforce base there is a wall shaking amount of bass

Greetings,

Yup. Best described as a sonic boom..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #45 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

And in an Iron Man thread of all places.

You guys make my point exactly about the fourth grade level.

2010 has been a terrible year for creative movies. Every script seems has super powers or hallucinations. Did you know Persians speak with a British accent?

I don't follow the hype. Who wants to own a bunch of movies that no one will want to watch ever again?
Most reviewers warn and say rent first!
Incidentally, I enjoyed the first Iron Man movie.
post #46 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Here is an excellent review from an Iron Man fan:
"I've loved Iron Man ever since my first Tales of Suspense comic, so I might not be the most unbiased person to write a review. Still, I'm going to try and be as honest as I possibly can. In some ways, Iron Man 2 improves on the original. For instance, the brawl between Iron Man and War Machine was perfect, and RDJr was even better this time around. However, there were some weak moments. For example, Pepper Potts is almost absent from the movie, and is shrill and unpleasant during her brief appearances. Whiplash has never been a particularly compelling villain, and the movie doesn't do much to make him any more exciting. Also, they really need to STOP with the "Iron Man fights someone who has the same technology" plots. It's already boring. Plus, I couldn't help but wonder where a drunken hobo managed to get the equipment to build an Arc Reactor. Stark did it in the first movie because he had several billion dollars worth of his own weaponry to cannibalize. How does a homeless Russian manage it? Furthermore, the character of Justin Hammer was silly and played for laughs, which was the wrong move. It had a real "Jim Carrey in Batman Forever" vibe to it.

Others have mentioned the unnecessary plot lines, and they're right. We could have done entirely without the "Palladium Poisoning" and the "Under House Arrest by SHIELD" plots, since neither of them really went anywhere, and felt like padding in a movie that didn't need any. I didn't mind the Black Widow showing up, but eventually it felt like we were tripping over minor characters. Also, they're not fooling anyone with the whole "The Avengers don't want Tony Stark" subplot. None of us believe for a moment that they'd do an Avengers movie without the only Avenger that's proven to be a box-office success.

Still, it was a good movie. Perhaps not a GREAT movie like the first one, but at least it wasn't a franchise-killing fiasco like Spiderman 3 or Batman and Robin. Honestly, if none of us had ever seen the original Iron Man, we'd all be talking about how this movie was one of the best Comic Book movies ever. But as it is, it's over-shadowed by it's phenomenal predecessor."

In other words, the next incoherent movie will do this series-in. That, dear friends would be a shame.

Scuttlebutt has it that Depends will sponsor Iron Man III.
post #47 of 99 Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

You guys make my point exactly about the fourth grade level.

We make your point? How so exactly?

Do you not see the irony in the fact that you labeled the film drivel, accused it of being written at a fourth grade level, and yet you spelled fourth incorrectly?

Forget iron. That's comedy gold!
post #48 of 99 Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
HiFiFun - 1. I think you've made your point quite adequately. 2. Why certain people look for Shakespeare in escapism entertainment is something I've never been able to fully understand. 3. When you watch movies based on Comic book heroes, you have to go in with a certain suspension of belief. And John Favreau is no Spielberg.
post #49 of 99 Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RDJ signed on for 2 IM films & at least the 1st full on Avengers flick-all part of Marvel's master plan. Supposedly ScarJo is also a lock for Avengers as are the THOR/CAPT. AMERICA actors + Sam Jackson.

Of course, Ed Norton was tossed as Hulk for Mark Ruffalo come Avengers time

Awesome news. Thanks.

Blows about Norton not returning as Bruce Banner, though. Hopefully, they don't change the way Hulk looks again -- I thought he was perfect in the 2008 movie. Captured the comic style.
post #50 of 99 Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
There is a lot of LFE in this.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #51 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 78
I rented this blu a few weeks ago. The first one is definitely better. The soundtrack does not disappoint though. Even the non-action sequences are just well engineered and have lots of nice ambient sounds and the bass is nice. You really can't complain about the sound or the audio quality.

The movie was just not that great IMO. The action I found a bit lacking as mentioned, and when it does come it is too short, or just ends stupidly.

Still undecided on the buy because I don't feel like watching it again. I have enough reference material so no need to buy it for that. There are other releases I am looking more forward to in October.
post #52 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

I rented this blu a few weeks ago. The first one is definitely better. The soundtrack does not disappoint though. Even the non-action sequences are just well engineered and have lots of nice ambient sounds and the bass is nice. You really can't complain about the sound or the audio quality.

The movie was just not that great IMO. The action I found a bit lacking as mentioned, and when it does come it is too short, or just ends stupidly.

Still undecided on the buy because I don't feel like watching it again. I have enough reference material so no need to buy it for that. There are other releases I am looking more forward to in October.

How did you rent it a few weeks ago when it was just released 4 days ago?
post #53 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

How did you rent it a few weeks ago when it was just released 4 days ago?

I live in Germany :P

It has been available for rent here since September 6th or so...
post #54 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

I live in Germany :P

It has been available for rent here since September 6th or so...

That's strange. According to Amazon Germany it hasn't been released there yet. They have the street date listed as October 7. Do things work differently there? Are discs usually available for rent a month before they are available for sale? I'm not doubting your story, I'm actually asking because it hasn't been like that in the US since the days of VHS ended.
post #55 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

That's strange. According to Amazon Germany it hasn't been released there yet. They have the street date listed as October 7. Do things work differently there? Are discs usually available for rent a month before they are available for sale? I'm not doubting your story, I'm actually asking because it hasn't been like that in the US since the days of VHS ended.

Yup, we get them for rent three weeks to a month prior to official release. Sure has helped me avoid some bad releases. Sorry for OT Ralph!
post #56 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
As far as sequels go, this one rates high. As good as the original? No, but few rarely are. The audio was pretty good, although, i thought the dialogue reproduction should have been a little better. LFE was great, my quad 18's had my basement vibrating. PQ seemed a little below the first movie-i'll have to revisit it to be sure. Overall a great comic book sequel movie-and that's the standard it should be rated on.
Cheers to Ralph on the review, it was spot-on.
post #57 of 99 Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post

As far as sequels go, this one rates high. As good as the original? No, but few rarely are. The audio was pretty good, although, i thought the dialogue reproduction should have been a little better. LFE was great, my quad 18's had my basement vibrating. PQ seemed a little below the first movie-i'll have to revisit it to be sure. Overall a great comic book sequel movie-and that's the standard it should be rated on.
Cheers to Ralph on the review, it was spot-on.

Greetings,

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed IM2 in Blu....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #58 of 99 Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Tank you Ralph! You just convinced me into bying this one.. but there is one issue i have not seen the first one yet so i have to buy them both..
post #59 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Just finished watching and what a complete disappointment. Not only did it pale to the 1st one it wasn't even in the same zip code.

Did the creative (or lack of) team behind the Transformers series become involved with this somehow because that's what it felt like. The action lacked any imagination, the climax was anything but and everyone from RDJ on down just seemed like they were mailing it in. And what's with Favreau's ego, the guy gave himself way more screen time than was wanted or needed. A cameo was more than enough like the 1st movie.

While Scarlett looked fantastic I'm not sure why she was in this movie. She served no purpose whatsoever other than along with Sam Jackson making the movie feel like an Avengers trailer rather than an Ironman sequal. The plot, well I'm not even sure what the plot was besides forgettable.

The only thing I could gather from watching this was that it was rushed into production because the story and action was generic and the actors looked bored. Instead of Downey getting a chest transplant the movie itself should have gotten a heart transplant because the heart from the 1st movie is nowhere to be found. I would definately not recommend blind buying this if you were a really big fan of the 1st one because alot of the charm that made that one so enjoyable is missing here.

I even preferred the PQ and AQ of the 1st movie, the picture for IM2 at times I found soft and while the AQ had booming bass and had some great moments it was a little too bass heavy and overcooked at times. I found the original movie to have a better balance and mix overall.
post #60 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Just finished watching and what a complete disappointment. Not only did it pale to the 1st one it wasn't even in the same zip code.

Did the creative (or lack of) team behind the Transformers series become involved with this somehow because that's what it felt like. The action lacked any imagination, the climax was anything but and everyone from RDJ on down just seemed like they were mailing it in. And what's with Favreau's ego, the guy gave himself way more screen time than was wanted or needed. A cameo was more than enough like the 1st movie.

While Scarlett looked fantastic I'm not sure why she was in this movie. She served no purpose whatsoever other than along with Sam Jackson making the movie feel like an Avengers trailer rather than an Ironman sequal. The plot, well I'm not even sure what the plot was besides forgettable.

The only thing I could gather from watching this was that it was rushed into production because the story and action was generic and the actors looked bored. Instead of Downey getting a chest transplant the movie itself should have gotten a heart transplant because the heart from the 1st movie is nowhere to be found. I would definately not recommend blind buying this if you were a really big fan of the 1st one because alot of the charm that made that one so enjoyable is missing here.

I even preferred the PQ and AQ of the 1st movie, the picture for IM2 at times I found soft and while the AQ had booming bass and had some great moments it was a little too bass heavy and overcooked at times. I found the original movie to have a better balance and mix overall.

I take it you didn't like the movie (LOL!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page