The Last Airbender (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow

Hope you like it. We finally watched the whole thing Saturday night. Just the family. The kids got bored half way through. I ended up enjoying it. The acting is horrible and they really messed up the spirit of the characters, compared to the tv show. But it surprised me that I ended up enjoying it. I bought into it just enough to appreciate the absolutely fantastic AV. This might be the best audio and video track I have had in the theater this year.
Have to agree with the audio. The audio is amazing. I agree the acting isn't the best I'll have to re watch it as I started to nod off also.

I prefer this than the golden compass.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard this is one of James Newton Howard's best score, particularly the track "Flow Like Water."
post #33 of 43 Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I thought this movie was pretty decent with the audio (DTS-MA) enhancing the viewing. I rented it from blockbuster, but I may buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3149
I had to chuckle at Ebert's comments about this video release:

Quote:
An agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. .... Bad casting, wooden dialog, lousy special effects, incomprehensible plot and boring, boring, boring. 1/2 star

LOL, don't mince words, Roger.
post #35 of 43 Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I have only seen about 15 min of this, but I will say that the audio is AMAZING. I finally got some Magnepan surrounds to match with my Maggie front stage, and the scene in the beginning where the kid cracks open the ice is just sick! I have had a lot of great experiences with my Maggies, but that scene was so amazing that I felt like I was standing on the ice as it was cracking. The dynamics and clarity of that soundtrack is really something. I will probably watch the rest of it just for the audio, even if the movie itself sucks
post #36 of 43 Old 11-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post

This is the kind of movie you put on the TV and then go about doing your work/chores while occasionally looking up during a special f/x sequence. Totally forgettable.

Edit: There was a dragon in the movie?

After reading this and other reviews (rotten tomatoes, imdb). This apparently is the kind of movie I shall put back in the Netflix envelope and send on it's way unwatched.

Bob

post #37 of 43 Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I have only seen about 15 min of this, but I will say that the audio is AMAZING. I finally got some Magnepan surrounds to match with my Maggie front stage, and the scene in the beginning where the kid cracks open the ice is just sick! I have had a lot of great experiences with my Maggies, but that scene was so amazing that I felt like I was standing on the ice as it was cracking. The dynamics and clarity of that soundtrack is really something. I will probably watch the rest of it just for the audio, even if the movie itself sucks

Greetings,

The attack sequence in the finale is even better..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #38 of 43 Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

The attack sequence in the finale is even better..

Regards,
Oh really? Cool, thanks Ralph! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it...also looking forward to replaying that ice breaking scene

BTW, Ralph....this is probably a GREAT weekend for you to get around to watching "you know what' lmao
post #39 of 43 Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It must have been my extremely low expectations going into this one, but I liked it!

I didn’t know anything of the Avatar TV series, and the whole idea of these element “benders” is pretty cool, and fun.

Sure, there were things wrong with the film, but it didn’t have me yawning, or thinking how ridiculous the film was. The acting was just o.k., but I don’t expect a whole lot out of child actors. There were portions where the special effects didn’t quite seem big budget, and the writing was corny in places.

The story did jump all over the place as well.

So yes, there were things wrong with this one, but for some reason, I’m very glad to have watched it, and my wife like it a lot. I would like this series to continue.

The sound was exceptional, and overall the picture quality was top notch.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 3 out of 5

Dan
post #40 of 43 Old 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Liked: 18
If you appreciated the live-action adaptation of it, you should really give the animated series a go. It's significantly better on all fronts, and will give you more of what you liked about the movie with less of what made it suck so bad.

post #41 of 43 Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think some of you are overly critical of this particular film. It's a fantasy film. You have to make concessions. I felt it was fairly entertaining story and the DTS MA soundtrack was phenomenal. One of the best I've heard thus far. Not just in terms of LFE, but in clear dialogue and strong use of the rear channels. 5 stars on the soundtrack. I don't feel this feel warrants the criticism it has received.

- Tim
post #42 of 43 Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

I think some of you are overly critical of this particular film. It's a fantasy film. You have to make concessions. I felt it was fairly entertaining story and the DTS MA soundtrack was phenomenal. One of the best I've heard thus far. Not just in terms of LFE, but in clear dialogue and strong use of the rear channels. 5 stars on the soundtrack. I don't feel this feel warrants the criticism it has received.

- Tim

I totally agree regarding the criticism. The movie is quite entertaining with some fantastic special effects. And yes, the audio is great.
post #43 of 43 Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

It must have been my extremely low expectations going into this one, but I liked it!

I didn't know anything of the Avatar TV series, and the whole idea of these element benders is pretty cool, and fun.

Sure, there were things wrong with the film, but it didn't have me yawning, or thinking how ridiculous the film was. The acting was just o.k., but I don't expect a whole lot out of child actors. There were portions where the special effects didn't quite seem big budget, and the writing was corny in places.

The story did jump all over the place as well.

So yes, there were things wrong with this one, but for some reason, I'm very glad to have watched it, and my wife like it a lot. I would like this series to continue.

The sound was exceptional, and overall the picture quality was top notch.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 3 out of 5

Dan

I thought the last half of the movie was pretty good. The ending was especially fun and intense. I think the opening sequences, with the bad acting and dialogue, soured the movie for many and could not get past that to enjoy the ending. I too would love to see the series continue as it was supposed to be three movies to complete the arc of the tv show.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page