Inception (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 228 Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

Stuntman, thanks so much for your informative rant.

I haven't seen the movie yet but from what I have read and heard you are surely in the minority.

IMDB.com gives it a 9/10 with 250,000 votes counted and Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 87% aggregate score.

True, Inception is a great movie, but it isn't a great "sci-fi" movie, and it should stop being tag-lined as such on just about every site, including IMDB. Part of my "slight" disappointment was my expectations of it being a "sci-fi" movie that will change my life, relate to my life, show me new concepts, and give me something new to think about from the world of film, much like many sci-fi movies have done. Did it do that? No, it didn't. That's not to say I didn't "enjoy" it though, but I would be careful about your assumptions of it being an "almighty" movie, because it isn't, and that everyone who doesn't think it is is "in the minority' and somehow wrong.

It's surely a GREAT crime/drama thriller movie, and personally, I didn't get "touched" by it, and I didn't sit around and "think" about the ending like some others did because I simply didn't care. See "Triangle" for a much better thinker film IMO.

Even still, I'll go ahead and say that 9/10 is a bit of an overrating, and it should continue to fall in the lower 8s were it belongs. This isn't Star Wars, Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, The Matrix, etc. This is a fantastically "contained" movie in itself, but nothing else.

Thanks Ralph for the review. I'll be picking this one up when the price is right.
FendersRule is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 228 Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Member
 
stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alright....I missed rating criteria....it has nothing to do with the movie itself and only the quality of production.

I will go hang my head low for 10 minutes while muttering "that movie was way over rated"
:P
stuntman is offline  
post #33 of 228 Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Member
 
bryn987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
this is such a great movie and I felt Ralphs review was spot on, especially the audio. Too bad my system couldn't do it justice

Betting this movie will clean up at the Oscars, especially for editing and musical score
bryn987 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 228 Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
LowBudget5.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: D/FW, Texas
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great review. Have it in my Netflix queue. Looking forward to it.
LowBudget5.1 is offline  
post #35 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,300
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebzur View Post

sorry but i totally disagree with your rating.
ive seen both DVD and Bluray of this movie and the Bluray is often not even better than the dvd.
the black levels are not good at all and there is compression artifacts. many scenes lack detail and are soft.
the audio may be dynamic but there is too much bass always.
clearly you have received a special copy with better transfer, because the one you can buy is a big dissapointment. in my country its out already and i know that its the same video as anywhere else in the world.

That's exactly what I thought. Skin tones were bad, shadows looked boosted and compressed, and there was either grain or noise throughout many scenes. The audio was good, except for the bass, which was very monotone and didn't go low at all. I don't know how this received 100 for audio. Even listening to the DTS-MA track I was disappointed with the LFE quality. It was an excellent movie, but hardly reference material like this review makes it out to be.

EDIT: never mind, someone upgraded my video drivers when using steam on my HTPC. It clobbered all my settings (specifically, all the video enhancement settings I had disabled). Video looks good, just a little grainy sometimes, but not annoyingly so like I was seeing before. Sorry to crap in your thread.
notnyt is offline  
post #36 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Ronan51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebzur View Post

sorry but i totally disagree with your rating.
ive seen both DVD and Bluray of this movie and the Bluray is often not even better than the dvd.
the black levels are not good at all and there is compression artifacts. many scenes lack detail and are soft.
the audio may be dynamic but there is too much bass always.
clearly you have received a special copy with better transfer, because the one you can buy is a big dissapointment. in my country its out already and i know that its the same video as anywhere else in the world.

And I have to disagree with you...This movie is already released in the Netherlands and we watched it last night.
The video was fantastic, and the black levels were as described by Ralph.
I've also heard people say the video is "soft" and I also have to disagree with that as well.
Perhaps your display could use some calibration.
As for Stuntman's comments...It may not be an original concept and yes, after the first 30 minutes you know where its heading, but a great ride with stunning visuals none the less.
Ronan51 is offline  
post #37 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 4,121
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
People need to understand that not every display is the same. Each resolves blacks, detail ect. differently. Im not saying the video is reference but someone with a calibrated display (as im sure ralphs PJ is) will probably see a better picture than one thats not.

By the way ralph i love the way you review video/audio for movies. You sound like a damn scientist .

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #38 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Stormshadow4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan51 View Post

It may not be an original concept and yes, after the first 30 minutes you know where its heading, but a great ride with stunning visuals none the less.

Wow, really? How is it even remotely possible to know where the movie is going based on the first 30 minutes....I call Shenanigans !!!!

Did you also know The Sixth Sense's secret within the first 5 minutes?
Stormshadow4life is offline  
post #39 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tbase1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: medina Ohio
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks Ralph.... I did not see this in the theater and can't wait to see over the holidays.

tony4k
tbase1 is offline  
post #40 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for your comments and you're more than welcome.

As for those who have expressed problems with the audio/video I don't know what to tell you..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #41 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Member
 
Moork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

That's exactly what I thought. Skin tones were bad, shadows looked boosted and compressed, and there was either grain or noise throughout many scenes. The audio was good, except for the bass, which was very monotone and didn't go low at all. I don't know how this received 100 for audio. Even listening to the DTS-MA track I was disappointed with the LFE quality. It was an excellent movie, but hardly reference material like this review makes it out to be.

So notnyt, did you receive an early blu-ray release or are you basing this off what you saw in the theater?

If it was an early release was it the official blu-ray or some sort of transfer?
Moork is offline  
post #42 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
iontyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

True, Inception is a great movie, but it isn't a great "sci-fi" movie, and it should stop being tag-lined as such on just about every site, including IMDB. Part of my "slight" disappointment was my expectations of it being a "sci-fi" movie that will change my life, relate to my life, show me new concepts, and give me something new to think about from the world of film, much like many sci-fi movies have done. Did it do that? No, it didn't.

What movie were you watching? Not sci-fi? Oh, I guess people are inhabiting other peoples dreams all the time, nothing new about that concept...NOT!!! This was as sci-fi as sci-fi can get!

Wow, sometimes you really have to wonder...

Proud Galactic Imperialist
iontyre is offline  
post #43 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post


What movie were you watching? Not sci-fi? Oh, I guess people are inhabiting other peoples dreams all the time, nothing new about that concept...NOT!!! This was as sci-fi as sci-fi can get!

Wow, sometimes you really have to wonder...

And that's just the point -- a movie about inhabiting people's dreams solely for the purpose of inhabiting other people's dreams -- not an interesting sci-fi concept and it doesn't extrapolate for me. It's an interesting drama - thriller, but not sci-fi. Trust me that if it was, I would have man-juiced over it in theaters because I'm a nerd for that stuff.

I'll stick with 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Dark City, Blade Runner, Moon, Westworld, and hell, even Total Recall for actually engaging sci-fi concepts that actually make me think "outside the box" instead of a story that involves dreams within dreams for the sake of dreams within dreams. Sure, it's a very interesting way to tell an interesting story, but it wasn't sufficient enough for me.

Sorry, but my expectations were not met, and your patronizing is not going to change that. Also, nowhere did I say Inception was not a great movie but if you are trying to argue it being a great sci-fi just because of its completely self contained dream-engineered story, you will fight a losing battle.
FendersRule is offline  
post #44 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
iontyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

And that's just the point -- a movie about inhabiting people's dreams solely for the purpose of inhabiting other people's dreams -- not an interesting sci-fi concept and it doesn't extrapolate for me. It's an interesting drama - thriller, but not sci-fi. Trust me that if it was, I would have man-juiced over it in theaters because I'm a nerd for that stuff.

I'll stick with 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Dark City, Blade Runner, Moon, Westworld, and hell, even Total Recall for actually engaging sci-fi concepts that actually make me think instead of a story that involves dreams within dreams for the sake of dreams within dreams.

Sorry, but my expectations were not met, and your patronizing is not going to change that. Also, nowhere did I say Inception was not a great movie but if you are trying to argue it being a great sci-fi just because of its completely self contained dream-engineered story, you will fight a losing battle.

I have been a sci-fi fan and aspiring writer for 40 something years. Don't try to tell me what sci-fi is! I've taken and taught classes on what sci-fi is! No purpose to inhabiting the dreams? Um YEAH, there was plenty of reason for inhabiting the dreams...it was a totally novel concept for influencing individuals and society. THAT IS WHAT SCI_FI IS!!!!!

Good grief.

Oh, and frankly I don't care whether you thought it was a great movie or not, but it certainly was sci-fi!

Proud Galactic Imperialist
iontyre is offline  
post #45 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I for one am very, very glad that Nolan made this movie exactly as he did, in other words it had a sci-fi element but strayed as far away from the genre as possible. That's just me though, I much prefer this tailored toward a more general audience in a "realistic" sense.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #46 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post


I have been a sci-fi fan and aspiring writer for 40 something years. Don't try to tell me what sci-fi is! I've taken and taught classes on what sci-fi is! No purpose to inhabiting the dreams? Um YEAH, there was plenty of reason for inhabiting the dreams...it was a totally novel concept for influencing individuals and society. THAT IS WHAT SCI_FI IS!!!!!

Good grief.

Cool story bro, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Relax, people are indeed different and perceive the world differently. I've also taught classes as well, and this fact alone is something that should have been learned early on. Inception is NOT a fulfilling "sci-fi" movie, I'm just not going to budge on that. Here's something for you to think about -- After the movie ended, do you think audiences were thinking about their own dreams, or do you think audiences were thinking about Cobb's dreams? The answer would be Cobb's dreams, and not their own dreams. Think on this for awhile, because my main point is engineered and subconsciously placed within this statement...you must read it over and over again until it gets deeper for the sake of it getting deeper....and then once you realize it on the subconscious level, you will wake-up on a closer level of consciousness further away from a limbo state...and then -- oh wait...

Last thing you want to do is come off as a snobby Inception fan that think it's the greatest film ever -- which is what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I for one am very, very glad that Nolan made this movie exactly as he did, in other words it had a sci-fi element but strayed as far away from the genre as possible. That's just me though, I much prefer this tailored toward a more general audience in a "realistic" sense.

Correct. I agree with you 100%, even though I don't necessarily prefer a tailored movie for general audiences, even though they can be obviously enjoyable via many examples. Additionally, that is in-part, why Inception was so successful. Its "sci-fi" dream engineering was just a mask for the crime/drama/thriller/action/ theming in which the movie was about -- a big fat engineered self-contained heist. If it really had mind-twisting nerd-inducing sci-fi concepts like the other movies I mentioned, it probably wouldn't have been popular (however, we must remember that popularity is a poor criterion for a good movie).
FendersRule is offline  
post #47 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,986
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for your comments and you're more than welcome.

As for those who have expressed problems with the audio/video I don't know what to tell you..

Regards,

Great review Ralph. I agree with you on the audio and video. Also I agree with the other posters about how great of movie this is. It ranks up there with the best films of this century and I can't wait to view it again.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #48 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Correct. I agree with you 100%, even though I don't necessarily prefer a tailored movie for general audiences, even though they can be obviously enjoyable. Additionally, that is in-part, why Inception was so successful. If it really had mind-twisting nerd-inducing sci-fi concepts like the other movies I mentioned, it probably wouldn't have been popular. It had other themes that it heavily relied on, and did a very great job at them.

Basically, I like Nolan's ability to take a genre movie and give it a "realistic" aspect, meaning if the technology exists it becomes legitimate enough in a physical sense, and the people are very real as well. Not resorting to too much CGI. It was very good. The whole general audience idea I was talking about was in reference to that.

I wouldn't have minded an extra seven minutes in this movie with the characters talking about dream psychology and the like, or anything about lucid dreaming, being able to control yourself, etc. It would have been kind of cool and more "through-provoking."

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #49 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
iontyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Cool story bro, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Relax, people are indeed different and perceive the world differently. I've also taught classes as well, and this fact alone is something that should have been learned early on. Inception is NOT a fulfilling "sci-fi" movie, I'm just not going to budge on that.

Last thing you want to do is come off as a snobby Inception fan that think it's the greatest film ever -- which is what you are doing.

Ok, so a story about a science concept that enhances and creates new opportunities for altering the direction of individuals and society is NOT science fiction? Forget it, you are just WRONG, totally WRONG!

Snobby Inception fan? I did not actually say ANYTHING about how good a movie Inception, I just said it was science fiction, which shows just how clearly you are reading my posts. Enough from you...ridiculous.

Proud Galactic Imperialist
iontyre is offline  
post #50 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great review Ralph. I agree with you on the audio and video. Also I agree with the other posters about how great of movie this is. It ranks up there with the best films of this century and I can't wait to view it again.

Greetings,

Your input is always welcomed and appreciated Dave. I am glad that you enjoyed Inception as much as I did.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #51 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Ok, so a story about a science concept that enhances and creates new opportunities for altering the direction of individuals and society is NOT science fiction? Forget it, you are just WRONG, totally WRONG!

Snobby Inception fan? I did not actually say ANYTHING about how good a movie Inception, I just said it was science fiction, which shows just how clearly you are reading my posts. Enough from you...ridiculous.

Greetings,

FendersRule and iontyre, there is a film discussion forum here on the site for those who wish to debate the merits or lack thereof etc. of movies. While I welcome light discussion on the films in my review threads I want to avoid back and forth debates which is where this is headed. Please refrain from continung this and move it to the other forum or PMs.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #52 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks Ralph -- I'll move my latest reply there.
FendersRule is offline  
post #53 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 137
(i did not read this thread)

i saw it at the theater. i did not like it.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
Fabricator is offline  
post #54 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

I kind of find it amazing at how many "blind buys" there are for this movie. I would have thought that anyone who frequents this kind of website would have seen this movie by now.
I guess some people don't care about film as much as they do demo material?

I guess Ralph's reviews are even good for movies that I assume don't need one! Thanks for spreading the word Ralph!!!!!!!!

A lot of people who frequent this forum have extremely high end HT's. I always tell people I know, that I'll wait till a new movie comes out on blu ray before I'll watch it. They never understand why until they see a movie in my own HT. Now they would rather see a new movie in my HT than at the theaters. Don't have to deal with all the crowds and all that sort of thing as well.

Believe me, I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I first heard about it almost 18 months ago or so. It's gotten to the point where new movies are in stores within 6 months of being in theaters. Who knows, maybe a few years from now you'll be able to have your choice of seeing brand new movies at home, or at the theaters. And there will be no wait at all between the 2.
yadfgp is offline  
post #55 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Newbie
 
Milambian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be a blind buy, can't wait for my preorder. I've gone through a lot of effort avoiding reading or hearing spoilers for this movie, and have been amazingly successful, so I apologize but I had to skip your impressions of the movie, to be on the safe side. I am excited hearing about the high quality sound and video, even though my current system will not do it justice.

Thanks for the review!
Milambian is offline  
post #56 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Cant wait to pick this one up when its released !! Thanks again for another outstanding review Ralph !!
TheFactor is offline  
post #57 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I tested on two calibrated displays. It was harder to see on the smaller screen, but on the 120" screen it was more apparent. Even the wife noticed it and said something.

I think this counts as calibrated, yeah? I'll take some screenshots if I can eventually, but I don't really care that much at the moment.

Greetings,

Do not post any screenshots in my review threads. As I have stated I can't and don't care to speculate as to what you are seeing/hearing on your particular setup. I am willing to take your word for it. My findings are clearly outlined in the review and stand as is.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #58 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Large_Pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This film truly is epic..... Kept my girlfriend quiet for hours as her brain slowly caught up to the plot
Large_Pudding is offline  
post #59 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Just reserved my Steel Book copy
TheFactor is offline  
post #60 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Pudding View Post

This film truly is epic..... Kept my girlfriend quiet for hours as her brain slowly caught up to the plot

LMAO !!
TheFactor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off