Inception (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Pudding View Post

This film truly is epic..... Kept my girlfriend quiet for hours as her brain slowly caught up to the plot

That's funny, gotta love movies like these for that same reason.

Man I pre ordered this from Amazon, but my GF just showed me the Target insert with a nicely priced.

DJoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post

97% rating???!!! No way!!!! that is a BS number and not believable.

Don't get too pumped up about this movie. I am a sci-fi fan and none of this was original and the suspense was lacking. I did not have any feeling or worry for the characters in the movie.

The concept is a nice one to think about while day dreaming but the movie just does not pull it off.

Shutter island is along the same lines and I did not like that one either....maybe because it too was predictable.

sm

Inception was just a movie created around a concept. Its not meant to be anything more amazing than the idea of creating something in your dream and sharing it with people. After that it is just a kick-ass heist movie.

Shutter Island on the other hand is a mindf*ck. Two stories told simultaneously and not revealing their true nature or even presence until the story that precedes it has finished... WTF. The A story is predictable (can totally see it in the trailers) the B story is where you don't know whats going to happen even though you've already finished the movie once. Crappy acting turns into truly Oscar worthy performances & the music cues actually make sense and all of a sudden you realize the true tone and atmosphere of the movie.

The predictable nature of Shutter Island was deliberate. IMO it was a masterpiece of juggling two different movies at the same time. Inception was just another Christopher Nolan eccentricity project with a huge budget.
post #63 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

97% rating???!!! No way!!!! that is a BS number and not believable.

Don't get too pumped up about this movie. I am a sci-fi fan and none of this was original and the suspense was lacking. I did not have any feeling or worry for the characters in the movie.

The concept is a nice one to think about while day dreaming but the movie just does not pull it off.

Shutter island is along the same lines and I did not like that one either....maybe because it too was predictable.

sm

Quote:

alright....I missed rating criteria....it has nothing to do with the movie itself and only the quality of production.

I will go hang my head low for 10 minutes while muttering "that movie was way over rated"
:P

Speechless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Hi Ralph,

Did you happen to listen to the 5.1 soundtrack that is in the extras? How is it if so? Is it all instrumental or are there vocals on some of the songs?

Thanks
post #65 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hi Ralph,

Did you happen to listen to the 5.1 soundtrack that is in the extras? How is it if so? Is it all instrumental or are there vocals on some of the songs?

Thanks

AHH!! +1 on that question. I know you don't do this often but I was wondering if you could further examine the audio on the 5.1 soundtrack. Can you tell us the bit rate and format of the soundtrack portion of the blu-ray?

If you have time, thank you and if you don't have time, thank you for another concise review. I personally appreciate it.

My personal favorite Christopher Nolan films in numerical order:

1: Memento
2: The Prestige
3: Inception
4: The Dark Knight

Oh, Christopher Nolan was inspired by this movie: Paprika
post #66 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM

post #67 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Well Ralph after seeing all the posts here ,
This is to be expected as the movie Inception was a Very Polarizing release when it came out last summer
As I was reading every movie review site I could find after seeing it, just to hear how people were reacting to this movie , and it was either 5 stars 0r 1 star reviews no middle of the road opinions at all . in other words people hated it with a passion ,felt it was dumb,contrived ,a complete waste of money OR They gushed on what a masterpiece they had just seen.
But as any great film does it started people talking & arguing , the movie then grew legs & it was off to races in box office returns .
Anyway I expected the same here when you did your review & that has happened
I myself can't wait for Amazon to deliver my Blu-Ray as I do have a 7.2 system that will handle this movie better than the theater I seen it in last summer .
I'm one of those new breed's who has a Home Theater that is a better experience than going to the local Cinema ,like the above poster I wait to see the new releases till they are out on Blu-Ray ,but Inception was the exception to that rule of mine . when asked by my sister-in-law @ the end of the Movie ,what I thought of what we just seen ; I gushed "I can't wait to see agin 4 more times !"

Agin a Great review Ralph keep up the Good work !

Mike

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #68 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 106
Well said Mike and I must agree on every point , it seems the same went for Avatar you either loved it or hated it. I wasnt a hater on that one either I actualy loved it . I to try to wait for them to be released on BD and enjoy the movies much more on my mini HT Although it is nice to sneak out to the movies once in a while when I cant wait lol . I really enjoy reading Ralphs reviews and there always spot on imo .
post #69 of 228 Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

AHH!! +1 on that question. I know you don't do this often but I was wondering if you could further examine the audio on the 5.1 soundtrack. Can you tell us the bit rate and format of the soundtrack portion of the blu-ray?

If you have time, thank you and if you don't have time, thank you for another concise review. I personally appreciate it.

My personal favorite Christopher Nolan films in numerical order:

1: Memento
2: The Prestige
3: Inception
4: The Dark Knight

Oh, Christopher Nolan was inspired by this movie: Paprika

Maybe Ralph or someone else can confirm, but I think I read that the soundtrack portion is DTS-HD-MA.
post #70 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hi Ralph,

Thanks

Greetings,

Todd, the 5.1 soundtrack is Hans Zimmer's music orchestrated score in DTS-HD MA. It sounds amazing...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #71 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Well, I only bought several BR this year, this will be a very worthwhile addition. Can't wait till tomorrow night.

Last one was Sound of Music, also highly rate here. Thanks.
post #72 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This movie was definitely a "mind bender" to say the least. lol Saw it on IMAX and just totally blew me away. One of the best part about this movie is it kept the audience thinking which was a reality and which was not.

The scenes were just astounding and remarkable. The background music were also great along with the cast of characters.

Definitely a collectors items!

Cheers
post #73 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 831
This sounds like a winner!

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #74 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Release date of 1/4/11 from Netfilx. That sux!!!
post #75 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Wow, really? How is it even remotely possible to know where the movie is going based on the first 30 minutes....I call Shenanigans !!!!

Did you also know The Sixth Sense's secret within the first 5 minutes?

If you're paying attention, it's pretty obvious. And I figured out Sixth Sense when Bruce came home and the basement door was locked. About halfway through?

Still, both very satisfying movies. This one is definitely worth a watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it in theaters and can't wait to see how the blu-ray looks on my home theater.
post #76 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
I pre-ordered this today for tomorrow - Loved it in the movies, can't wait to see it on my newly setup system!

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #77 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Asking for this for Christmas so I'll have to wait a little while. One of the only movies I didn't pickup on black friday.

Love my BDP-09!
post #78 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Liked: 19
The soundtrack was unpleasant. So I searched for a few minutes for collaboration:

SOUNDTRACK
"Nolan depends on Hans Zimmer to deliver an overblown score for an overblown movie. Since Nolan forgot to properly develop characters and give them any legitimate tension, he depends on Zimmer to fill nearly ever second of the movie with music to drive home how we're supposed to feel in certain scenes. Look, music can be a great element in enhancing the emotion in certain scenes, but when you're depending entirely on it to drive home certain scenes, that's just unprofessional."

Who can recall the driving, merciless "music" that went on forever? I could not stand this cheap, unintelligent, manipulative heart-attack muzak. Its really a horror movie.
post #79 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I watched this for the first time last week, imo, definitely worth a blind buy. I honestly think it was the best movie I've seen this year, and I've seen a lot of films this year.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #80 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post
The soundtrack was unpleasant. So I searched for a few minutes for collaboration:

SOUNDTRACK
"Nolan depends on Hans Zimmer to deliver an overblown score for an overblown movie. Since Nolan forgot to properly develop characters and give them any legitimate tension, he depends on Zimmer to fill nearly ever second of the movie with music to drive home how we're supposed to feel in certain scenes. Look, music can be a great element in enhancing the emotion in certain scenes, but when you're depending entirely on it to drive home certain scenes, that's just unprofessional."

Who can recall the driving, merciless "music" that went on forever? I could not stand this cheap, unintelligent, manipulative heart-attack muzak. Its really a horror movie.
I didn't find it distracting at all, are you using Bose speakers

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #81 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thank you Dave; I've been reading the rants back and forth today on this film and it's come close to almost flaming in some cases and have really enjoyed how fired up people can get. But your comment on Bose speakers topped them all for "funniest comment of the day". I loved it, thank you.

I'm one of the select few who haven't seen this movie in the theaters and I cannot wait to pick it up tomorrow. Had it on pre order with an online company, but when I called to make sure I would get my pre order price guarantee, they told me they can make an exception this once and just credit my account the $7, then I heard it wasn't going to ship until 12-13 to 12-16, so I had to cancel the order (at least it helped me get over $25 for free shipping on my other product ) and I plan to buy at the store tomorrow; hopefully for $17.99. Cannot wait, I already have plans to kick the women and children out of the house to listen to this loud.
post #82 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh's HT View Post

Thank you Dave; I've been reading the rants back and forth today on this film and it's come close to almost flaming in some cases and have really enjoyed how fired up people can get. But your comment on Bose speakers topped them all for "funniest comment of the day". I loved it, thank you.

Just trying to lighten the mood.

Quote:

I'm one of the select few who haven't seen this movie in the theaters and I cannot wait to pick it up tomorrow. Had it on pre order with an online company, but when I called to make sure I would get my pre order price guarantee, they told me they can make an exception this once and just credit my account the $7, then I heard it wasn't going to ship until 12-13 to 12-16, so I had to cancel the order (at least it helped me get over $25 for free shipping on my other product ) and I plan to buy at the store tomorrow; hopefully for $17.99. Cannot wait, I already have plans to kick the women and children out of the house to listen to this loud.

Hopefully you get a good price.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #83 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

No, Samsung!
post #84 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Just trying to lighten the mood.
Hopefully you get a good price.
That's really an objective critique of the movie. An outstanding example for a Home Theater Magazine professional reviewer.

The soundtrack is flawed and not pleasant to listen too as the pre-climax drowns on and on and on. Has anyone timed this endless loop?

I remember seeing extremely long fight scenes in Matrix III or Lord of the Rings. People raved initially then the series died as the movie makers did not have a story.
post #85 of 228 Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The opinions I make on this forum are mine alone, not the magazine's. As to your critique, I disagree with you, but I'm not trying to change your opinion.

post #86 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post
That's really an objective critique of the movie. An outstanding example for a Home Theater Magazine professional reviewer.

The soundtrack is flawed and not pleasant to listen too as the pre-climax drowns on and on and on. Has anyone timed this endless loop?

I remember seeing extremely long fight scenes in Matrix III or Lord of the Rings. People raved initially then the series died as the movie makers did not have a story.
Greetings,

Timed the loop?? No. Lord of the Rings. No story?

If you find it bothersome don't watch the film. Dave is right to try and lighten the mood. I sometimes grow weary of those who feel the need to negatively focus on one aspect of a body of work in order to convince everyone that their opinion is the correct one. You made your point now lets move on.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #87 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
If there anymore attacks on individuals, then you will be banned from this thread.
post #88 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks as always for the review Ralph! I enjoyed Inception a lot. Everything about the movie was fantastic IMO. But, to really enjoy this movie you have to watch it in peace with no kids creating a distraction IMO.
post #89 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik View Post
Thanks as always for the review Ralph! I enjoyed Inception a lot. Everything about the movie was fantastic IMO. But, to really enjoy this movie you have to watch it in peace with no kids creating a distraction IMO.
Greetings,

I couldn't agree more Haroon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #90 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On the fence? Inception at $17.99 for the combo set on release day = no brainer. Trust me folks when I say you have blind bought others not nearly as good as this movie and for some of those you paid more and didn't get a combo set besides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page