Barry Munday (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
attachment.php?attachmentid=193946&d=1292171663
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Magnolia - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Patrick Wilson, Judy Greer, Chloe Sevigny, Shea Whigham, Cybil Sherpard, Jean Smart, Malcolm McDowell, Missy Pyle, Billy Dee Williams, Mae Whitman
Written & Directed by: Chris D'Arienzo based on the book Life is a strange place by Frank Turner Hollon
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 7, 2010

"A comedy that hits you right where it counts"

Film Synopsis:

Barry Munday, a wanna-be ladies man wakes up in a hospital after a freak accident to discover he's missing his "family jewels." Making it worse, he then faces a paternity lawsuit from a woman he doesn't even remember. Follow this hilarious and heart-warming tale of a guy who finds it took losing his manhood to be a better man.

My Take:

Based on the novel Life is a Strange Place by Frank Turner Hollon, Barry Munday tells the story of a guy who tries his hardest to pursue every good-looking woman in sight. Unfortunately, one failed attempt at a date leads to an emergency hospital visit, where Barry wakes up without his testicles. In addition to losing his ability to procreate, Barry discovers that he inadvertently fathered a child with a homely, socially awkward girl named Ginger. Seeing this as his only chance at fatherhood, Barry decides to take responsibility for his actions and comes to learn that it's never too late to become a better man.

At first glance this looked like just another formulaic stupid funny comedy with a decent cast and overly contrived situations. While I wouldn't call it original, in many ways it succeeds in its depiction of familial dysfunction, social ineptness and the awkward humor that can sometimes be found in life's mundane situations. Watching as Barry transforms from a thirty something horn-dog into a conscientious, affable and decidedly optimistic guy is probably what I enjoyed most about the story. Like Barry, Ginger also evolves as she allows the social barriers she has built and maintained all of her life to come down. Coming from dysfunctional familial backgrounds which stunted them, Barry and Ginger together discover the fruits and responsibilities of mature adulthood/commitment. The tone of the film changes along with them as it goes from what appears to be a bland situational comedy to more of an offbeat comedic romance that I ultimately found rewarding. I thought that Judy Greer and Patrick Wilson worked well together. Greer does a great job portraying Ginger's pervasive melancholy and one note perspective on life especially early in the film. I appreciated Wilson's take on Barry's amiable doofiness and genuine deportment. The supporting cast features a host of well known actors, including Jean Smart, Shea Whigham, Cybil Shepherd, Malcolm McDowell, Billy Dee Williams and Chloe Sevigney. Shepherd and McDowell had hardly any screen time although I did enjoy McDowell's introductory scene. Billy Dee Williams makes the most of his brief moments but like the others has little screen time. Jean Smart and Shea Whigham were probably the standouts among the supporting players as I felt that their performances were the strongest outside of Wilson and Greer. Barry Munday isn't a particularly strong film but it has an abstract romantic charm and ostentatious wit that won me over. After becoming invested in the characters I couldn't help but root for them. Being a feel good movie guy I had high hopes for a happy ending..

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Barry Munday comes to Blu-ray Disc from Magnolia Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

This video presentation offers little in the way of highly polished, razor sharp images that resemble the best that high definition has to offer on Blu-ray but it seems to represent the film's elements well. Primary colors are tonally satisfying with deep reds and an inviting palette that mates well with the film's subject matter. Complexions are texturally revealing with natural coloring that varies among the cast. Resolution is good but softer definition leaves the mid level and wide angle views appearing less resolvable in terms of fine detail. Close ups are more revealing of subtle refinement but lack defining clarity. Blacks are not especially deep but I thought that they stood out nicely when onscreen with mixed content. Contrast can be uneven but empowers colors and brighter elements without negatively impacting overall fidelity. Grain is evident and occasionally takes on heavier emphasis that can be a bit of a distraction.

The DTS-HD MA audio presentation is solid and renders dialogue that is centrally focused with lucid intonation and requisite clarity. Surround activity is limited to subtle ambience that occasionally offers some spatial dimension that broadens the sound field. Low frequency presence is intermittent and primarily supports the sequences featuring the films music. This is an adequate albeit unremarkable sound mix that delivers the elements in this dialogue driven film with aplomb.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Chris DArienzo, Patrick Wilson, and Judy Greer

• 12 deleted scenes with optional commentary by director Chris DArienzo, Patrick Wilson, and Judy Greer

• Gag reel - 6 minutes

• Outtakes: can't stop laughing - 4 minutes

• Your penis and you - 3 minute faux infomercial

• (HD) HDNET: A look at Barry Munday - 4 minutes

• BD-Live option (no content)

Final Thoughts:

Barry Munday is just an average Joe until an accident takes away his manhood, literally. Based on the novel Life is a Strange Place by Frank Turner Hollon, this is a better film that I initially gave it credit for. It succeeds in its depiction of familial dysfunction, social ineptness and the awkward humor that can sometimes be associated with life's mundane situations. Barry Munday isn't a particularly strong film but it has an abstract romantic charm and ostentatious wit that eventually won me over. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Magnolia HE featuring clear lossless sound quality and adequate high definition video that appears faithful to the film's original elements. The bonus supplements are highlighted by a decent audio commentary and a brief look behind the scenes via HDNET. Barry Munday is an offbeat comedy/romance that is certainly worth a rental. Toss it in your queue and take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would you even choose to review this movie?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid_vibe View Post

Greetings,

Because the studio forwarded it for review and I have come to learn that one man's meat is another man's poison. While you may not care for the movie or want to see it perhaps there are others who feel or may feel differently. It would be unfair to regularly make decisions about which movies to review based upon my own preferences.

Sometimes my review schedule is so busy that I can't review every disc I receive however when time permits I try to cover what I get unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 AM

Liked: 15
Ralph, thanks for the review.

I'll add this one to my Netflix queue. Sounds like a fun, quirky comedy. I love the premise.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm glad Ralph did find time to review this, or any other film for that matter. I trust his judgement and he has saved me a lot of time and money in the past. He has also pointed me to many films I may otherwise have overlooked, and Barry Munday is a good example. Thanks, Ralph.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I'm glad Ralph did find time to review this, or any other film for that matter. I trust his judgement and he has saved me a lot of time and money in the past. He has also pointed me to many films I may otherwise have overlooked, and Barry Munday is a good example. Thanks, Ralph.

While I might not always agree with a reveiwer's thoughts on a movie, I'm glad we have people like Ralph who review the little-known films like this one. I'll be renting it for sure
post #7 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid_vibe View Post

The fact that Ralph reviews the big budget popcorn flicks AND the lesser known indy films is a huge plus, IMO. I am 99% satisfied with my system right now, so quite literally the only reason I come back to this site every week is because of Ralph. I enjoy the big studio films for sure, but I've come to truly love the indy film scene. Until a few mins ago I had no frickin idea this film ever existed, but if Ralph gives it three stars then that means I'll probably enjoy it.

Before I discovered the genius that is Ralph "can't believe he still hasn't seen True Romance" Potts, Harry Knowles (AICN) was the reviewer who best matched my taste in movies....but honest to God, there have literally been less than three films I can think of where my enjoyment of the film differed to any significant degree from Ralph's. He's like my movie brother from another mother, and as long as he's here reviewing films, I keep coming back.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
While I might not always agree with a reveiwer's thoughts on a movie, I'm glad we have people like Ralph who review the little-known films like this one. I'll be renting it for sure
Greetings,

Thanks SS4life.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
The fact that Ralph reviews the big budget popcorn flicks AND the lesser known indy films is a huge plus, IMO. I am 99% satisfied with my system right now, so quite literally the only reason I come back to this site every week is because of Ralph. I enjoy the big studio films for sure, but I've come to truly love the indy film scene. Until a few mins ago I had no frickin idea this film ever existed, but if Ralph gives it three stars then that means I'll probably enjoy it.

Before I discovered the genius that is Ralph "can't believe he still hasn't seen True Romance" Potts, Harry Knowles (AICN) was the reviewer who best matched my taste in movies....but honest to God, there have literally been less than three films I can think of where my enjoyment of the film differed to any significant degree from Ralph's. He's like my movie brother from another mother, and as long as he's here reviewing films, I keep coming back.
Greetings,

Thanks for a great and supportive post Summa. It's the people like yourself that make the time and effort put in by Lee and myself worthwhile.

True Romance, I KNOW !! I will I will I will..soon.

Happy Holidays.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Barry Munday Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version