True Grit (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
attachment.php?attachmentid=194026&d=1292250933
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1969
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 127 minutes
Genre: Western

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: John Wayne, Kim Darby, Glen Campbell, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Strother Martin, Jeremy Slate
Directed by: Henry Hathaway
Music by: Elmer Bernstein
Written by: Marguerite Roberts based on the novel by Charles Portis
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 14, 2010

"Three unlikely companions. One shot at justice"

Film Synopsis:

In 1970, John Wayne won an Academy Award. for his larger-than-life performance as the drunken, uncouth and totally fearless one-eyed U.S. Marshall, Rooster Cogburn. The cantankerous Rooster is hired by a headstrong young girl (Kim Darby) to find the man who murdered her father and fled with the family savings. When Cogburn's employer insists on accompanying the old gunfighter, sparks fly. And the situation goes from troubled to disastrous when an inexperienced but enthusiastic Texas Ranger (Glen Campbell) joins the party. Laughter and tears punctuate the wild action in this extraordinary Western which features performances by Robert Duvall and Strother Martin.

My Take:

If asked I would readily admit to being a John Wayne fan. In reality it would be more accurate to say that I enjoy his films because a true fan would probably have seen most if not all of them which is a claim that I unfortunately cannot make. Prior to receiving True Grit for review I had recollections of seeing it when I was younger but couldn’t recall any specifics about it other than knowing the plot and being familiar with the character of Rooster Cogburn. That was fine with me because seeing it again after all these years made it feel very much like the first time. John Wayne is a movie icon that I find to be charismatic and engaging especially in a role like this that plays to his strengths. Watching it today, True Grit isn’t really much like I remember it. It is most definitely a genre piece but the screenplay by Marguerite Roberts, which is based on the novel of the same name by Charles Portis features a subtle moral flavor, light air of levity and well integrated action that is rarely ostentatious and helps to drive the film’s dramatic elements. We’ve all seen hangings depicted in westerns before. Here I found it interesting how the hanging scene at Fort Smith showed peanuts being sold to the crowd as well as children playing on swings etc. in an area within the hanging square. Many period westerns employ an abundance of long winded shootouts and dramatic standoffs that seem to define them. I didn’t have that impression with True Grit (Rooster’s showdown with Ned Pepper and his gang notwithstanding).

Character development is excellent and provides an enriching connection to them that grows over the course of the film. I love the dialogue used and thought that it alone added something special. The characters and story evolve while the focus remains constant. Tom Chaney is going to pay for what he did come hell or high water. The first couple of scenes with Kim Darby had me a little concerned as I felt that she might be overacting. As the film progressed I was impressed at her composure and authenticity as she invoked the passionate desperation that Mattie would need to persevere under such conditions. Glen Campbell isn’t much of an actor but I don’t think he took anything away from the film. John Wayne was larger than life a quality that seemed to transcend every role I have seen him in regardless of the time period. His performance here is memorable and justly deserving of his Golden Globe/Academy Awards. True Grit is a frontier fable that successfully blends action/adventure with evocative themes that have a timeless appeal. I thoroughly enjoyed it due in large part to the wonderful performances of John Wayne and Kim Darby. I am not so sure it is an American Classic but there is no denying that it is special film. Like many of you reading this I am thrilled that it has come to Blu-ray Disc and am happy to add it to my collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for western violence and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

True Grit comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

I am pleased with the overall quality of this high definition presentation. Images are fairly resolute with appreciable dimension during brightly lit scenes. Fine detail is apparent during close ups and some of the long range camera shots of the beautiful shooting locales showed off the rustic textures of the landscapes and structures. Resolution isn’t absolute and there are instances where the video takes on a flatter perspective which limits depth. Colors are rendered cleanly and appear satisfying with no signs of bleeding or over saturation. Predominantly warm skin tones leave some complexions appearing pinkish but not unnatural. Blacks are a bit muddy and shadow detail is just average. Grain is intact and presented with variable texture that rarely rises to objectionable levels. This is my first experience with this film on home video. My opinion is that it trumps standard definition and would more than likely be an improvement over any previous versions currently available.

There are audio options in both mono and lossless surround sound. I opted to use the DTS-HD Master Audio surround track which has no trouble handling the film’s recorded elements. The front three channels carry the majority of the film’s audio. The mix is spread across the front three channels with primary focus on the center channel with ambience bled to the right/left speakers. The orchestrated music score is spread to the rear channels which mildly broadens the sound field. Clarity and detail are excellent which pays dividends during the film’s active and quieter moments. Bass frequencies are held to the upper registers which doesn’t leave much work for the subwoofer but I never missed them. The dated components in the recording are apparent but I thought it sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook

• True writing featurette – 4 minutes

• Working with the Duke featurette – 10 minutes

• Aspen Gold: The locations of True Grit featurette – 10 minutes

• The law and the lawless documentary – 5 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

True Grit is a frontier fable that successfully blends action/adventure with evocative themes that give it a timeless appeal. After not seeing it in years I found this revisit to be thoroughly entertaining due in large part to the wonderful performances of John Wayne and Kim Darby. I am not so sure True Grit qualifies as an American Classic but there is no denying that it is special film. Those who have been awaiting its arrival on Blu-ray Disc should be pleased with its satisfying high definition video quality and clearly rendered lossless sound. The bonus features from the 2007 Collector’s Edition DVD have been ported over to this release and are time well spent if you enjoy the subject matter. If you already own the Collector’s Edition DVD the decision to upgrade to this version will depend on how important the improvement in video quality (based on its score) is to you. If you don’t already own it this is definitely the preferred way to experience True Grit at home. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
So, not the low bitrate DNR disaster that has been proclaimed in the other forums?
post #3 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
So, not the low bitrate DNR disaster that has been proclaimed in the other forums?
Greetings,

Far from perfect but I wouldn't qualify it as a "low bitrate (?) disaster". Rent it and check for yourself.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny when i saw the title before actually clicking into this thread i thought to myself....True Grit is already out and it hasn't even hit the theatre yet? LOL!

Didn't realize this was the original and the Jeff Bridges one is the remake. Might check this one.

Cheers
post #5 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Funny when i saw the title before actually clicking into this thread i thought to myself....True Grit is already out and it hasn't even hit the theatre yet? LOL!

Didn't realize this was the original and the Jeff Bridges one is the remake. Might check this one.

Cheers

When I walked into BB and asked for a pick up a copy the csr said the same thing.
Great flick, I am looking forward to seeing it in HD for the first time.
Thanks Ralph, cheers.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have never seen it so I will definitely give this one a rent in light of the remake coming to theaters soon.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Right on, Ralph! Your notes on the Blu-Ray quality are right on target. I was suprised about Kim Darby's performance being much better than I remembered. John Wayne is wonderful, much broader than he usually was, but quite moving in scenes like the one in which Rooster describes the end of his wedded life. It's also fun to see him interact with other icons like Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper. Just another opinion, but Wayne's work in "Red River" and particularly in "The Searchers," contain his best performances.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Far from perfect but I wouldn't qualify it as a "low bitrate (?) disaster". Rent it and check for yourself.

Regards,

LOL, if only Netflix would consider stocking the BD. I'm waiting for my copy from Amazon to ship. This is a blind buy for me.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Thanks again Ralph ! I've found your reviews to be the best available.

Art
post #10 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have seen the trailers for the new True Grit and as much as I love Jeff Bridges, I kind of cringed when I saw him in the trailer. I hope I am wrong. I also don't think the new Maddie Ross will measure up either. Again I hope I am wrong. I guess I just see Wayne as more of a western film icon. If you like this one you should see the sequal Rooster Cogburn. While not quite as good and a little more formulaic it does costar Katherine Hepburn and is a lot of fun to watch the two icons play against each other.

Dave
post #11 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Thanks again Ralph ! I've found your reviews to be the best available.

Art

Greetings,

Thanks Art. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a hardcore John Wayne fan, as well as a hardcore lover of western movies. True Grit is among my favorite list of westerns and will be replacing the dvd with the blu-ray. On the other hand, True Grit is not my top favorite Wayne flick. That goes to The Searchers, followed by Red River. Still, he did win an Oscar for True Grit so it is right up there in my western collection. I hope todays younger generation ( who are mostly unfamiliar with many of those great westerns of yesteryear ) see this great John Wayne film, especially since the Coen brothers are doing a remake that's quite a departure from the original. Despite my respect for Jeff Bridges as an actor, in my view, Wayne's Rooster Cogburn will be hard shoes to fill.

Thanks for reviewing this Ralph and introducing it to a newer and younger audience.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I'm a hardcore John Wayne fan, as well as a hardcore lover of western movies. True Grit is among my favorite list of westerns and will be replacing the dvd with the blu-ray. On the other hand, True Grit is not my top favorite Wayne flick. That goes to The Searchers, followed by Red River. Still, he did win an Oscar for True Grit so it is right up there in my western collection. I hope todays younger generation ( who are mostly unfamiliar with many of those great westerns of yesteryear ) see this great John Wayne film, especially since the Coen brothers are doing a remake that's quite a departure from the original. Despite my respect for Jeff Bridges as an actor, in my view, Wayne's Rooster Cogburn will be hard shoes to fill.

Thanks for reviewing this Ralph and introducing it to a newer and younger audience.

Greetings,

The pleasure was all mine George. Thanks for sharing your perspective on True Grit.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM

I'm intimately familiar with the areas where True Grit was filmed. Wayne owned a lot of land in SW Colorado (San Juan Mtns). It's always fun to watch this flick and see the familiar landmarks. As I recall there are some interesting stories about Wayne forcing the production to film in some pretty inaccessible spots, which some of these are. Anyhow, there are still lots of stories in that area about the Duke and the times he spent there.
post #15 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I'm intimately familiar with the areas where True Grit was filmed. Wayne owned a lot of land in SW Colorado (San Juan Mtns). It's always fun to watch this flick and see the familiar landmarks. As I recall there are some interesting stories about Wayne forcing the production to film in some pretty inaccessible spots, which some of these are. Anyhow, there are still lots of stories in that area about the Duke and the times he spent there.

Greetings,

Nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 PM

They filmed the remake around here in Central Texas (Granger, Blanco, and Austin). Bridges has some huge shoes to fill, but if anyone can pull it off it would be the Coen Brothers.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ralph

When I first saw True Grit (senior in High School 1969 when released) I thought at the beginning the dialog seemed both stilted and sparse. Ten years later and married, saw in on VHS with my wife and enjoyed it even more. When commenting to her on the dialog/screenplay she mentioned that she had read the book in high school even before the movie was released and that the movie sounded exactly like reading the book. This made me curious so I purchased a copy of the book and sure enough, the book was written in the same sparse manner as the screenplay.

It is probably hard for many of us today to realize that our nineteenth century predecessors used much better English in both their casual conversation as well as thier written word.

Great review. I agree with the earlier poster about Wayne's characters and acting in both "The Searchers" and "Red River", still two of my favorite movies. However, as I have aged, I appreciate Wayne playing the straight John Wayne roll even more than the more difficult roles. And probably "True Grit" is currently at the top of my list. And, I am a John Wayne fan with close to thirty of his movies starting with "Stagecoach". His movies from the early 30's while interesting, were for the most part, not the "A" movies of his career after "Stagecoach".

Thanks for your reviews. I do not believe I have taken the opportunity to comment in the past, but I feel you do a very well balanced job reviewing content, production, Blu-Ray quality, etc.

David Freeman
post #18 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Ralph

When I first saw True Grit (senior in High School 1969 when released) I thought at the beginning the dialog seemed both stilted and sparse. Ten years later and married, saw in on VHS with my wife and enjoyed it even more. When commenting to her on the dialog/screenplay she mentioned that she had read the book in high school even before the movie was released and that the movie sounded exactly like reading the book. This made me curious so I purchased a copy of the book and sure enough, the book was written in the same sparse manner as the screenplay.

It is probably hard for many of us today to realize that our nineteenth century predecessors used much better English in both their casual conversation as well as thier written word.

Great review. I agree with the earlier poster about Wayne's characters and acting in both "The Searchers" and "Red River", still two of my favorite movies. However, as I have aged, I appreciate Wayne playing the straight John Wayne roll even more than the more difficult roles. And probably "True Grit" is currently at the top of my list. And, I am a John Wayne fan with close to thirty of his movies starting with "Stagecoach". His movies from the early 30's while interesting, were for the most part, not the "A" movies of his career after "Stagecoach".

Thanks for your reviews. I do not believe I have taken the opportunity to comment in the past, but I feel you do a very well balanced job reviewing content, production, Blu-Ray quality, etc.

Greetings,

Thanks very much David. I appreciate your comments as well as your thoughts on the film/John Wayne.

Happy Holidays.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 AM

this bd isn't a "total dnr disaster" by any means--as some have claimed--
but it would have been appreciably better had Paramount sprung for a new master instead of using the previous master prepared for the 2005-2007 dvd release.
this bd is a solid advance on that dvd, but medium and long range shots definitely show the appearance of earlier dnr.
of course I would never have expected paramount to go the full distance for this bd, but it sure would have been nice.
If they will just release the rest of the Wayne films that they have the rights to in quality equal to this bd I will be satisfied.
That's about all my expectations can reach since we're talking Paramount and older catalogs.
post #20 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

if anyone can pull it off it would be the Coen Brothers.

I read the Portis book way back before I saw the John Wayne film version which strays considerably from the novel. My recollections of the novel are a bit fuzzy but I do recall that it was somewhat of a quirky western with far out dialogue. In fact, when I think of the Portis book I can see how the Coen brothers would be interested because it is very similar to what they do in their films. I am going to view the Coen remake as a non-remake and I got a feeling I will enjoy it much better that way.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Finally got my copy. I can't argue with any of Ralph's assessment of the over-all PQ. The beauty of Technicolor really comes through nicely. Excellent set of bonus features too. This is a keeper.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Finally got my copy. I can't argue with any of Ralph's assessment of the over-all PQ. The beauty of Technicolor really comes through nicely. Excellent set of bonus features too. This is a keeper.
Greetings,

Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #23 of 24 Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Georgeb: > ... a quirky western with far out dialogue.

My recollection of the studio promotional material at the
time of the Wayne version was that Portis had done
extensive research to learn just how people spoke in
everday life in that time and place.

Perhaps the studio was trying to [re]set expectations.
______
We might then expect the new Coen version, reportedly
closer to the book, to be even further out, dialogue-wise.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I agree, except I put "the Shootist" at the top, I guess because I like the roles of the other actors, and I thought that is a great way to leave your mark as Wayne left us....
What was great about Wayne, is that in his bettter movie roles, I got the feelings that he was NOT playing some character, he was being himself, and expressing himself about how he really felt and would have acted in real life in those same situations

and perhaps The Shootist may have come the closest to that at the end...better to burn out than fade away, and to youngsters, violence ain't always best answer, toss that gun away

and yes, I can point to some books about how people spoke of that time period....there is a book by Teddy Roosevelt about western life about the same time period, and if you read his writing carefully, you see the same style, in both True grit as well as the Shootist..

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
True Grit Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page