AVSForum Blu-ray Spotlight: Fiddler on the Roof - 40th Anniversary Edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6120

Fiddler on the Roof - 40th Anniversary Edition

Overview:

The heartwarming scenes and uplifting songs of a timeless musical masterpiece meet the spectacular sound and picture quality of Blu-ray for the first time ever to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary - bursting with hours of extras that will keep you entertained from sunrise to sunset! Nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Topol) and Best Directing (Norman Jewison), Fiddler On The Roof tells the life-affirming story of a poor Jewish milkman whose love, pride and faith help him cope with the challenges of raising a family in czarist Russia.

attachment.php?attachmentid=208752&d=1302610979

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

My Thoughts:

Fiddler on the Roof is the 1971 film adaptation of the 1964 Broadway musical of the same name. It takes place in the Jewish village of Anatevka, in Tsarist Russia in 1905 and centers on the character of Tevye, a poor milkman. He and his wife have five daughters and cannot afford to give them dowries so they have to rely on the village matchmaker to find them husbands. Life in 1905 Russia is hard and the film depicts the difficulties associated with not only being poor but being Jewish during the time period. Tradition is an important part of their culture and the story conveys that as well as the familial conflict that arises when his daughters resist the ways of old.

Fiddler on the roof is a classic piece of filmmaking that features beautifully crafted music that is integrated into the story with heartwarming elocution as delivered by the outstanding ensemble cast. Nominated for eight Academy Awards and winner of three, it is a timeless and rewarding film experience that holds a special place in the hearts of its fans. I haven't seen it in years but watching it in high definition felt like a new experience thanks to this wonderfully restored Blu-ray offering from MGM.

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

This re-mastered 1080p AVC encoding appears to remain faithful to the film's original elements and looks terrific. By design colors have a muted level of saturation and those used are rarely bright which keeps the palette limited. I would say that overall they are naturally rendered and appear to fall within the visual range intended. Fleshtones have complexional distinction but in some cases look drab, a little flat and lacking in texture. Blacks offer fair depth and above average delineation. Shadow detail is quite good which enhances visual perception and dimensionality during the scenes shot at night or in limited lighting. Resolution is discerning so that distinguishing levels of detail are appreciable although I wouldn't describe the video as razor sharp or dimensionally strong. The film also isn't very bright which when coupled along with the reserved palette of colors gives it a dull finish. I think that this coincides with the creative decisions of the filmmakers which results in satisfying imagery that lacks the eye popping high definition that some may expect from Blu-ray. Grain is preserved and appears naturally rendered. Video = 86

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack delivered crisp, full bodied dialogue in a mostly front oriented presentation that offered a few splashes of light ambience through the surround channels. There was some low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer but its effects never reached authoritative levels (in this film there little call for it). The blend of music, voices and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with excellent clarity, limited but fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the elements in the recording sounded just fine. 80

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary by Director/Producer Norman Jewison and Actor Topol

• Norman Jewison, Filmmaker

• Norman Jewison Looks Back

• John Williams: Creating A Musical Tradition

• Songs Of Fiddler On The Roof

• Deleted Song: "Any Day Now"

• Tevye's Daughters

• Set In Reality: Production Design

• Storyboard-to-Film Comparison

• Tevye's Dream Sequence (In full color with side-by-side comparison and an introduction by Norman Jewison)

• Trailers, Teasers and TV Spots

• Bonus DVD of Fiddler on the roof

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 5, 2011

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 155
If I already have the DVD, is this a worthy upgrade?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If I already have the DVD, is this a worthy upgrade?

Greetings,

In terms of video quality (and to a lesser extent audio quality) this is definitely worth the upgrade.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Last week I contracted some rough food poisoning and laid myself up on the couch, letting whatever was on TV play. I'd never seen Fiddler on the Roof before that night. I was an hour in before I decided to just buy it. What a film. Beautifully done. So much fun. I will be ordering this in mere days!

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't consider this a "restored" version. Probably a new transfer and encoding of the best print in the vault. I think this title should get a real restoration at some point. And my biggest disappointment was the sound. Where was the bottom of the orchestra? It was a clean, clear sound of mid and upper frequencies, but where were the cello's and basses of John William's orchestrations for example? Even the tympani had a restricted low end. I don't know how it sounded in 70mm when it originally was released, maybe this is it. But it's disappointing to me, especially in comparison to "Sound of Music" and "A Star Is Born" that were recently released and are older - much older in "Star is Born" case.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

considering some of MGM's recent efforts, imo it is somewhat of a miracle that this turned out so well.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My family just watched this on laserdisc yesterday; one of my sons is performing a medley of FOTR tunes with the youth symphony he plays in. Laserdisc presentation still looks great, and with full letterboxing, you get the entire screen image.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Some of the reviews on Amazon seem to question if this release is presented in OAR or if it was cropped to 1.85:1 (as Amazon lists it).

Is this release in OAR?

Anyone have issues accessing the menu or lipsync problems as some have reported on Amazon?

Thanks.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Some of the reviews on Amazon seem to question if this release is presented in OAR or if it was cropped to 1.85:1 (as Amazon lists it).

Is this release in OAR?

Anyone have issues accessing the menu or lipsync problems as some have reported on Amazon?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Fiddler On The Roof Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page