X-Men First Class (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

BTW, I'd assume these comments should be in spoiler tags. How does one do that anyway?

Max

[$poiler]Replace this text with text you want hidden[/$poiler]

You can use the method above just replace the $ in $poiler with a "S"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

[$poiler]Replace this text with text you want hidden[/$poiler]

You can use the method above just replace the $ in $poiler with a "S"

Ah, thanks.

Max
post #33 of 42 Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 2281
A superb review. I'm a fan of the series and I find this to be the best-written of the five--not to mention the best in terms of overall audio presentation. It's always a pleasure to get mental AND audible enjoyment out of a film. Quick question--I noticed your replaced the Anthem D2v with the new Onkyo processor. Now, I have the Integra DHC-80.2 (close cousin of your processor) but am (or was) considering upgrading to the D2v. Do you find the Onkyo a better processor for movies than the Anthem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched this 2.15 hour movie and I must say that I did NOT like it. The first 30 minutes were good but after that, the move fell apart. Some of the characters (the guy with hands as feet, the stripper who had dragonfly wings, etc) were really lame, even their acting was bad.

I almost turned this movie off at the 1.30 hour point. I've had enough and I enjoy sci-fi and action movies but this one really was pushing my limits. I was not enjoying this movie at all. It was just lame. The other X-Men I liked, but this one stunk.
post #35 of 42 Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This was the best x-men movie
post #36 of 42 Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I bought this one a week ago and watched it last night. From all the positive reviews I was expecting more. I enjoyed it for it's 60s kitch, but Fassbender was the only character that I felt any attraction for...and while he was exercising Magneto powers, I couldn't help feeling how silly he must have felt sticking his dirty hands out, making a face, giving it a couple of jerks then expecting the fx to fill in for his masterful performance . Prof. X only had to put his index finger to the side of his head and let his eyes water . The performances of the other mutants were over the top silly. Anyway, I couldn't overcome the disbelief factor and it took some of the enjoyment away for me. That said, it was a decent X Men film. I expected to enjoy this one more than the other 2 Marvel films this summer, but found Thor more fun and Cap more emotionally compelling. Still a good Marvel crop. I wanted to like Green Lantern more than any of them, but it was a polished turd.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #37 of 42 Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I bought this one a week ago and watched it last night. From all the positive reviews I was expecting more. I enjoyed it for it's 60s kitch, but Fassbender was the only character that I felt any attraction for...and while he was exercising Magneto powers, I couldn't help feeling how silly he must have felt sticking his dirty hands out, making a face, giving it a couple of jerks then expecting the fx to fill in for his masterful performance . Prof. X only had to put his index finger to the side of his head and let his eyes water . The performances of the other mutants were over the top silly. Anyway, I couldn't overcome the disbelief factor and it took some of the enjoyment away for me. That said, it was a decent X Men film. I expected to enjoy this one more than the other 2 Marvel films this summer, but found Thor more fun and Cap more emotionally compelling. Still a good Marvel crop. I wanted to like Green Lantern more than any of them, but it was a polished turd.

As I said in my other post, I did NOT like this latest X Men film. Even Roger Ebert gave this thing 2 thumbs down. He hit on all the points you just mentioned above. Read Ebert's review, it is spot-on with what you & I said. If you got your receipt, take the movie back.

I am in the my 30's and I honestly believe MANY of the movies that are being pumped out by Hollywood today with over the top CGI, dull characters, bad acting, bad scripts, etc., are being praised by sites like Rotten Tomatoes but in reality, the movie stinks.

Paranormal Activity got high reviews on RT (82%) but the movie was ATROCIOUSLY BAD. Yet, a movie that was VERY GOOD like 'Book of Eli' only got 48% on RT. You got to be kidding me. PA got almost double the positive movie critic feedback over 'Book of Eli'. 'Book of Eli' was an awesome movie. There is NO DOUBT some very serious payoffs are going on and bias. I believe 'Book of Eli' got negative reviews not because of the movie itself but because of the plot/message the movie was based on. When God was brought in and put on in a positive light, the leftists, agnostics, atheists and liberals got bent out of shape and slandered the movie because it went against their political/religious beliefs.

I watch all movies, even those that attack my political/religious beliefs but if the movie is good, I don't disparage it because it went against my beliefs. The same can't be said for a lot of movie critics, especially those on Rotten Tomatoes.

But back to XMen, the movie was really bad. I still can't believe the character who had hands for feet and the flying dragon-winged stripper!?!?! Wow, even the acting was bad. I thought I was watching some lame movie on the SCI-FI channel.
post #38 of 42 Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Most movie lovers have strong opinions about the movies they love--or hate--but for me, the best route to movie enjoyment is to take ALL reviews with a grain of salt. I don't really care what critics think but I do enjoy reading reviews--and always look at the RT meter. But those reviews and rating seldom influence me as far as movies I really want to watch. I enjoyed X-Men First Class for what it was--an entertaining movie with great PQ and AQ. I also enjoyed Book of Eli--and I own both of them. Two of my favorite movies of the year are Sucker Punch and Hanna.

Bob

post #39 of 42 Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone notice in a few scenes where areas of white (bookshelf/wall/painting) in the sub seemed to have some grain in the white. I've seen this effect in other movies, just wondering what causes it. Samsung 2011 plasma and oppo 93.
post #40 of 42 Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
If the other x-men films had been this good, I'd be a bigger fan than I am. I wasn't exactly dying to see this, but the reviews were excellent and I liked the idea of the origin stories being played out...well, the 2+ hrs flew by. I didn't get to watch it on my HT rig, but still very enjoyable...
post #41 of 42 Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
I thought this was a great movie. Easily my favorite X-men movie thus far.

Amazing audio and video experience as well.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #42 of 42 Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I've now sat through all of the X-Men films and simply remain pretty unmoved.

I suppose some of it stems from a general malaise from the unrelenting ambush of superhero films that seems to only grow more obtuse (and pathetic) every year.

9 out of 10 of them are just a slight deviation from the formula with the subtlest spin on the players, powers, and problem. Yawn.

Spiderman. Batman. Iron Man. Superman. Captain America. Hulk. Green Lantern. X-Men. Fantastic Four. Hancock. The Green Hornet. Hellboy. The Punisher. Daredevil. And a billion sequels.

I think there's prolly 5 good films amongst them.

Just like the re-trashing of 70's and 80's campaigns that were better off dead (see Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, A-Team, Charlies Angels, Miami Vice, Transformers, and on). And on.

Just goes to show just how bankrupt hollywood is on original, entertaining ideas and a public willing to digest 2hrs of captivating eye canding, ear bombardment, and staid, predictable story-telling all in lieu of a film with any real merit.

The bad ones now only get middling to decent reviews because they're so out numbered by the insufferably terrible.

Bring on Voltron and GoBots, right?

Gross. Rant over.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page