Bad Teacher (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 5860
attachment.php?attachmentid=225375&d=1318790453
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 2011
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 92/97 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby
Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel, Justine Timberlake, Lucy Punch, John Michael Higgins
Directed by: Jake Kasdan
Music by: Michael Andrews
Written by: Gene Stupnitsky & Lee Eisenberg
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 18, 2011

"She doesn’t give an “F”…"

Film Synopsis:

An opportunistic, foul-mouthed seventh grade teacher who is dumped by her sugar daddy sets her sights on a colleague, which stirs up a hornets nest involving the school's model teacher.

My Take:

Elizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) is a foulmouthed, ruthless, and inappropriate teacher. She drinks, gets high, and can’t wait to marry a meal ticket to get out of her bogus day job. When she’s dumped by her fiancé, she sets her sights on a rich, handsome substitute (Justin Timberlake) while shrugging off the advances of the school gym teacher (Jason Segel). The consequences of her wild and outrageous schemes give her students, coworkers, and even herself an education like no other!

Bad Teacher isn’t a conceptually new film but it turned out to be better than expected. We have all seen the self serving “A Hole” with an agenda who is in dire need or their comeuppance, as well as the cynical, impudent “employee” who comes to work with everything on their mind BUT work scenarios. Bad teacher combines these oft used formulas in a quasi romantic comedy that has a distinctly politically incorrect edge that tickled my funny bone on more than one occasion. To be honest I have never found Cameron Diaz to be all that appealing as a lead however she is the reason Bad Teacher works. There are aspects of this that “kinda sorta” reminded me of School of Rock however it never takes on that warm, fuzzy feeling you got by the final act of that film. Diaz’ Elizabeth Halsey is as hard as they come, non-repentant, with the right blend of sassy, nasty and sexy. Speaking of sexy, if you’re a Cameron Diaz fan you’re going to want to see the car wash fundraiser sequence. What entertained me about the film was the character interaction, most of which centered around Diaz and her portrayal of the shenanigans perpetrated by Elizabeth Halsey in pursuit of a means to end involving her scheming. This character is pretty unlikable yet somehow you couldn’t help but root for her. Second to Cameron Diaz was the bubbly Amy Squirrel played to near perfection by Lucy Punch, who is a hoot. The remaining cast, most notably Justin Timberlake, Jason Segal, and John Michael Higgins did quite well as did Eric Stonestreet and Thomas Lennon in bit parts that gave me a chuckle. Bad Teacher isn’t original or hilariously funny but its entertaining throughout thanks to a solid turn by star Cameron Diaz who takes a mediocre script based on a pretty despicable character and makes it funny. Both the extended and theatrical versions are included in this unrated edition.

Parental Guide:

This film contains sexual content, nudity, language and some drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Bad Teacher comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.7 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast was dynamic without being overpowering and blacks were respectable in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent. The lossless soundtrack competently delivered the elements present in the recording. Dialogue was well intonated with crystal clarity and good room penetration. The presentation offered an open soundstage across the front with definitive channel separation and good dynamic range. Surround use was limited to spatial cues and occasional panning effects that enhanced dimension. There weren’t any sub bass frequencies contained in the mix however the subwoofer was used to provide low bass emphasis that extended the low range content associated with the soundtrack’s elements.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) JAMS Yearbook: Hidden moments - interactive feature that contains character info/clips/behind the scenes glimpses

• (HD) 5 minute gag reel

• (HD) 6 deleted scenes

• (HD) Way behind the scenes with Jason and Justin - 5 minutes

• (HD) Raising more than funds - 3 minute look at the car wash fundraiser sequence

• (HD) A very odd blacksmith story - 2 minutes with writer Lee Eisenberg

• (HD) Swimming with the dolphins - 3 minutes

• (HD) Good teacher - 4 minutes with the cast and crew discussing their thoughts on what compromises a good teacher

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

I went into this review with low expectations and was surprised to find that Bad Teacher turned out to be an entertaining way to spend an hour and a half. Much of this is owed to star Cameron Diaz who takes a mediocre script based on a pretty despicable character and makes it work. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony in exemplary fashion by offering excellent high definition video, clear lossless sound quality and a fan friendly set of bonus supplements that take a fun look behind the scenes. When you’re in the mood for a little sassy, sexy and politically incorrect humor give Bad Teacher a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yep... Just because ! Another great review by you...thanks King P !
post #3 of 21 Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I had low expectations as well, but it was actually pretty funny. It's a good one to watch with a couple of friends and slam some beers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used to like C. Diaz and her movies a lot but over the years there were just way too many bad movies...I will pass on this one for sure.

----------------------------------------------
I owe too much to retire! :-(
post #5 of 21 Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Blu-Ray looks great and is extremely entertaining. I only watched the unrated version. If it was rated PG in the theaters, it was a lot shorter or different. It is sort of like watching everything you wanted to happen in high school happen in spades. Cameron Diaz is a lot of fun and her charachter stays relitively raunchy. Redemption in movies is overated.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Starring: Cameron Diaz, Jason Segal, Justine Timberlake, Lucy Punch, John Michael Higgins

Just a typo - its Jason Segel not Segal. Seagal is the dude of Under Siege fame.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Saw this at the theater using a free pass. Still payed too much. Didn't find it enjoyable at all.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #8 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I liked the beginning of the film when she came running home to her boyfriend & said Im going to _ your _ like Im mad at it & her boyfriends mom was there!
post #9 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A buy for sure.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thought this was a decent funny film and a good well blended story to go with it. Definite buy for me.

Cheers
post #11 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
A decent movie.

However, Cameron Diaz should not be seen in HD. Maybe back in the day aka Theres Something About Mary, but otherwise father time has not treated her well.

Cheers
post #12 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the heads up on the car wash scene Ralph. That kind of detail is always appreciated
post #13 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

The Blu-Ray looks great and is extremely entertaining. I only watched the unrated version. If it was rated PG in the theaters, it was a lot shorter or different. It is sort of like watching everything you wanted to happen in high school happen in spades. Cameron Diaz is a lot of fun and her charachter stays relitively raunchy. Redemption in movies is overated.

I'm pretty sure the theatrical version was rated R, when it was in the theaters....they were selling the rauch factor and seeing Diaz in a different kind of role.

IMDB: Rated R for sexual content, nudity, language and some drug
post #14 of 21 Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Liked: 11
This movie was terrible. I contemplated shutting it off half way through but I forced myself to finish it. The story doesn't make any sense, it's not funny and nothing was ever resolved. Maybe it's just Cameron Diaz that ruined it for me. The rest of the cast was great their time could have been better used somewhere else.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

A decent movie.

However, Cameron Diaz should not be seen in HD. Maybe back in the day aka Theres Something About Mary, but otherwise father time has not treated her well.

Her legs and a$$ say otherwise..
post #16 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked: 5794
Watched Bad Teacher last night and tried to post here. For some reason, though, my post didn't make it so I'll start over.

Like Ralph, I approached Bad Teacher with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. In fact, I loved it. Bad Teacher was the best thing I had seen Cameron Diaz in since her breakout role in There's Something About Mary. She was perfect as a thirty something sexpot who, while still beautiful, was showing some evidence of high mileage. Diaz's Bad Teacher was cynical, dishonest, disloyal, an equal opportunity substance abuser, and all round rat, but, boy she was funny!

The PQ and AQ of the BD were just fine for a film like Bad Teacher but certainly fell short of demonstration quality.

I loved Bad Teacher primarily because I bought its meanspirited premise that the bad teacher really was a bad person but an endlessly entertaining one, despite her many shortcomings. I often laughed uproariously at her antics. Highly recommended for those with a sense of humor twisted enough to not be so turned off by the bad teacher's nastiness they can just laugh at her antics. 8 Stars out of 10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #17 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
This is the type of review that shows why King Ralph is my #1 source for movie reviews. The critics were very mixed on this film (45% rating on RT), but typically when Ralph puts up a 3-star (or higher) review I usually end up agreeing with it. That was exactly the case with this movie. I watched the unrated version via Amazon streaming and thought it was very funny. I didn't like it as much as Horrible Bosses, but it was close. That makes three pretty good comedies I've seen in the last month - Horrible Bosses, Bad Teacher, and Bridesmaids. I hope they keep em comin, cause I enjoy films like this!

Great review, as always, Ralph!
post #18 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I too was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie! There were a lot of LOL moments...maybe the best was when JT was dry-humping Diaz!

The supporting cast was great as well especially Lucy Punch as Diaz's rival. The PQ was excellent and made the move that much more enjoyable.

In terms of recent comedies, I would still place this 3rd after Horrible Bosses and Bridesmaids, but it is definitely worth a rental at the least.

AV equipment: Sony XBR65X930E, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-X800 UHD, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
post #19 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

In terms of recent comedies, I would still place this 3rd after Horrible Bosses and Bridesmaids, but it is definitely worth a rental at the least.

Much to my surprise, I liked Bad Teacher as much as Bridesmaids and better that Horrible Bosses. Much of that was no doubt due to Diaz's bravura performance in Bad Teacher and its short runtime, only 97 minutes for the Unrated Edition. I also enjoyed the film's cynical, tough minded, point of view, which only served to make it funnier for me.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #20 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

This is the type of review that shows why King Ralph is my #1 source for movie reviews. The critics were very mixed on this film (45% rating on RT), but typically when Ralph puts up a 3-star (or higher) review I usually end up agreeing with it. That was exactly the case with this movie. I watched the unrated version via Amazon streaming and thought it was very funny. I didn't like it as much as Horrible Bosses, but it was close. That makes three pretty good comedies I've seen in the last month - Horrible Bosses, Bad Teacher, and Bridesmaids. I hope they keep em comin, cause I enjoy films like this!

Great review, as always, Ralph!

Greetings,

You're more than welcome Summa. I am glad that you enjoyed this one also.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #21 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I normally enjoy most raunchy and vulger type comedies, but for some reason this movie did not provide the laughs I'd hoped. There were some decent moments throughout,but overall I found myself bored with this film. I will give Diaz credit for making her character believable, but the complements stop there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Bad Teacher Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page