Killer Elite (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
attachment.php?attachmentid=233120&d=1325773483
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109939&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal Studios - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Action/Crime/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jason Statam, Clive Owen, Robert DeNiro, Dominic Purcell, Yvonne Strahovski
Directed by: Gary McKendry
Music by: Johnny Klimek & Rheinhold Heil
Written by: Matt Sherring
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 10, 2012

"May the best man live"

Film Synopsis:

When two of the world's most elite operatives , Danny, a retired contract killer (Statham), and Hunter, his longtime mentor (De Niro) go up against the cunning leader of a secret military society (Owen), their hunt takes them around the globe from Australia to Paris, London, and the Middle East. As the stakes rise along with the body count, Danny and Hunter are soon plunged into an action-packed game of cat-and-mouse where no one is what they seem. Based on a shocking true story, it's an explosive, no-mercy thrill ride where the predator ultimately becomes the prey.

My Take:

Based on the 1991 book (and true story) The Featherman by Ranulph Fiennes Killer elite is a sort of espionage actioner with a solid star heading that features Clive Owen, Jason Statham and Robert DeNiro. Supposedly based on a true story the plot revolves around a dying Oman sheik in the early 1980s seeking revenge for the deaths of three of his sons at the hands of the British SAS during covert military operations in the desert during the Dhofar Rebellion. The sheik strong arms mercenary Danny Bryce into identifying and hunting down the members of the SAS responsible. Danny must extract confessions from each and make their deaths look accidental. Once underway Danny and his team encounter resistance from a secret society of retired SAS and their operative muscle, a man code named Spike. Danny and his team are operating just one step ahead of Spike however a misstep leads to a head on confrontation that directly pits the two men against one another. Unbeknownst to them there is more going on than either realizes. Before it is over men will die, trusts will be betrayed and payback will come at a high cost.

Judging by the trailer this one didn't look to promising, despite its headlining cast. If this is based on a true story I would say that is must be loosely based. The action is derivative and palpably lacking although I must admit that Jason Statham is always entertaining to watch. Robert DeNiro could have phoned in his role and Clive Owen just seemed miscast as Spike. The inclusion of a romantic subplot proved nothing more than a formulaic diversion which ultimately wasted the talents of Yvonne Strahovski. Looking at Killer Elite from a total perspective it isn't necessarily a bad film, it just isn't a memorable one. I haven't read the book but a bit more creative writing could certainly have made for a better film especially in light of the subject matter and cast.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, language, and some sexuality/nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Killer Elite comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This video presentation has a filmic quality that doesn't always lend itself to razor sharp images however resolution is excellent as both people and objects are rendered with clear definition that at times is meticulously resolved. The color palette isn't a diverse one and sticks mainly to sepia and de-saturated neutral tones that render a cooler appearance. Flesh tones are on the bland side but fit right in with the visual style of the video. Contrast is bold which adds dynamic emphasis to sequences containing bright elements. Blacks are dynamic, inky and slightly crushed. Scenes containing uneven and/or dim lighting reveal discernible but occasionally limited detail in shadowy backgrounds and darkened areas. These segments don't have the dimensional perspective of the brighter scenes and tend to appear flat by comparison. Images have a pristine quality that when coupled with the video's high resolution makes for a good looking presentation.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a nice job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that occasionally engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn't extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion. The chase and extended fight sequences are empowered by near field sound effects and robust dynamics. The LFE channel is active and reproduces the film's music and extended lower bass frequencies with visceral impact that has excellent tactility.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 13 deleted scenes

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• BD- Live

• pocket BLU

Final Thoughts:

Based on the 1991 book The Featherman by Ranulph Fiennes Killer elite is an espionage action/thriller with a solid cast that is hampered by regurgitated action and a middling script. On a positive note its high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios looks and sounds great. Unfortunately if you're a fan that enjoys bonus supplements you're out of luck as this offering is at the bare minimum. Killer Elite held my interest however there is nothing about it that makes it remarkable. If you typically like action/thrillers it's probably worth an rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, Ralph. I'll probably give this one a chance for Clive Owen and Robert De Niro, though it doesn't sound like they're enough to save it--and I honestly thought it was a semi-rehash of Sam Peckinpah's The Killer Elite before reading this.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl Toyota lady!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I honestly thought it was a semi-rehash of Sam Peckinpah's The Killer Elite before reading this.

So did I. But because of the cast, and my fondness for Statham, I'll give it a watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

So did I. But because of the cast, and my fondness for Statham, I'll give it a watch.

Hopefully, it is better than Statham's last movie The Mechanic. What a bomb that movie was.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have to give this one a rent based on the cast alone and I also have been looking forward to it. Hopefully I will enjoy it more than Ralph.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, I was planning on buying, but after reading Ralph's and other respected reviews think I will just give it a rent.
cheers
post #7 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thought this movie was great!

Never read the book but being this is an action flick with high calibered casts it's a definite collect for me.

I believe this was a true story is it not?

Best part was the going back and fourth between Clive and Jason tracking each other and how they got each others info. Thought that was pretty clever and wells startegized.

Cheers
post #8 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was expecting to read some good things about this film because of the strong cast, but from the review it seems like a mediocre movie at best. I guess I'll eventually give it a rent just because I enjoy action films.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundnexx View Post

I was expecting to read some good things about this film because of the strong cast, but from the review it seems like a mediocre movie at best. I guess I'll eventually give it a rent just because I enjoy action films.

As one who can sit through even the most Z-grade stuff to the end, I shut this off after about 40 minutes. This is about as Generic (with the capital G) as a movie can get. Completely by-the-numbers. You've seen it all before...and much better. Even THE MECHANIC was more entertaining than this. But if you suffer from insomnia, this might be a good alternative to Ambien. (Even the shoot-outs were boring!)
post #10 of 20 Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

As one who can sit through even the most Z-grade stuff to the end, I shut this off after about 40 minutes. This is about as Generic (with the capital G) as a movie can get. Completely by-the-numbers. You've seen it all before...and much better. Even THE MECHANIC was more entertaining than this. But if you suffer from insomnia, this might be a good alternative to Ambien. (Even the shoot-outs were boring!)

Well said. I watched this and hated it. Guys running around with ear prices saying rodger while you walk by and you don't notice? Poorly directed below b grade movie.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
I'll give it a go. Hopefully I would like it.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #12 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'll give it a go. Hopefully I would like it.

Greetings,

Be sure to post back with your thoughts Frank.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Be sure to post back with your thoughts Frank.

Regards,

Will do Ralph.

God Bless,
post #14 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM

I've just finished watching this film and would have to say it wasn't the best. Good actors used but I started to become bored. I've had a few good blind buys in the past but this one doesn't fall into that category.

God Bless,
post #15 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I've just finished watching this film and would have to say it wasn't the best. Good actors used but I started to become bored. I've had a few good blind buys in the past but this one doesn't fall into that category.

Greetings,

Yup. Hopefully the next blind buy will be a winner Frank.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Yup. Hopefully the next blind buy will be a winner Frank.

Regards,

That will be Drive. Should be receiving it today Ralph

God Bless,
post #17 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked: 5798
Just watched the Killer Elite BD and was disappointed, despite my low expectations going in. Let me get the good stuff out of the way first. The film looked good and sounded better, and its large cast were uniformly excellent. But there the good news ends.

Despite the film's claim that it was based on a true story, if it was, as Ralph observed in his review, the connection must have been loose indeed. The twists and turns were action movie formulaic, in fact the chases and fights seemed endless. Keep in mind that what I just said comes from a guy who never met a loud, stupid action film he didn't like. Killer Elite by comparison to The Mechanic made The Mechanic's quality seem to be akin to Casablanca.

I recommend Killer Elite only if you are really, really bored. 6 Stars out of 10. What a waste of money and talent!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #18 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I recommend Killer Elite only if you are really, really bored. 6 Stars out of 10. What a waste of money and talent!

I agree there gwsat.

God Bless,
post #19 of 20 Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked: 5798
Quote:

I agree there gwsat.

Yeah, who would have thought that a film with the likes of Robert De Nero, Jason Statham, and Clive Owen, not to mention the beautiful and talented Yvonne Strahovski, would turn out to be such an utter dog. It just goes to show that low expectations sometimes aren't low enough.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #20 of 20 Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah, who would have thought that a film with the likes of Robert De Nero, Jason Statham, and Clive Owen, not to mention the beautiful and talented Yvonne Strahovski, would turn out to be such an utter dog. It just goes to show that low expectations sometimes aren't low enough.

Robert de niro surprised me for getting into a role as this same as Clive Owen.

God Bless,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Killer Elite Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page