Neverland (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
attachment.php?attachmentid=240266&d=1331585441"
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: RHI Entertainment - 2011
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 169 minutes
Genre: : Fantasy, Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English
Starring: Rhys Ifans, Anna Friel, Charles Dance, Bob Hoskins, Keira Knightley
Directed by: Nick Willing
Music by: Dan Gross
Written by: Nick Willing
Region Code: Region Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 13, 2012

"Journey Back To Where It All Began."

Film Synopsis:

Neverland introduces us to a young lad named Peter and his streetwise gang, who are mysteriously transported from turn-of-the-century London into an enchanting parallel world where time stands still and an adventure awaits like nothing you’ve ever seen before. In Neverland, no one ever ages and lost souls have been plucked out of time.

My Take:

In Neverland, a prequel to J. M. Barrie's classic Peter Pan, Mr. Jimmy Hook is mentor to a group of young pickpockets led by orphaned Peter. A job comes along where they are to snatch a mysterious item and they are accidentally transported to another world when they find this treasure, a mysterious orb. They end up in Neverland, a world inhabited by a band of 18th century pirates and a Native American tribe, as well as the Tree Spirits. The Tree Spirits are what we know as fairies, and of course Tinkerbell is one of them. The Indians are protecting the Tree Spirits and their secret, which the pirates desperately want. Hook, Peter and is "lost Boys" get caught up in this struggle for the power the Tree Spirits have, leading up to how the world of Peter Pan began.

Writer/Director Nick Willing seems to love re-imagining others works. He is behind Syfy's "Tin Man", as well as "Alice". I am usually not a fan of tinkering with classic stories and especially balk at the idea of some new guy writing a new chapter to a classic story. I went into this with a bit of trepidation but Neverland won me over and was the best of the Syfy produced mini-series I have seen. No it's not great, it has a coat of made for TV fluff all over it and some of the dialogue is abysmal as is some of the acting. Fight scenes are horribly choreographed and edited, and the green screen work is quite obvious. With that said, the story kept me entertained, even with its many unanswered questions and silly decisions, especially the time travel situation. Rhys Ifans plays James Hook (Get it? He will become Captian Hook), and is great as always, holding the whole Neverland universe together. I forgave a lot of its shortcomings as its a Made for TV mini-series, and because the story/idea is actually pretty good. This is worth a viewing, especially for its near reference A/V marks.

Parental Guide:

Sex, Nudity, Extreme Violence, Drug Use and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Neverland comes to Blu-ray Disc from RHI Entertainment featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24.6 mbps and DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has a average bitrate of 4.0 mbps

From the opening notes of the tribal soundtrack, percussion is crisp and clear, and the low end is deep, smooth and very impressive. This was the beginning of a reference soundtrack that had me excited the whole way through. Dialogue was articulate and I never had an issue understanding some of the heavy English accents. Surround effects were used right, never too much, but always when needed, and the sound-stage was always completely immersive. The video continues these high marks with inky blacks and natural colors that help the viewer sink in. Being made for TV, the effects are not state of the art and most of "Neverland" itself shows a separation between foreground and the green-screened in backgrounds. This is a double edged sword because the live action foreground shows such details that it really stands out. This is worth checking out for the audio alone.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary By Writer-Director Nick Willing

• (HD) The Story Behind the Story: Cast Interviews

• (HD) Green Screen to Scene

• (HD) Journey into Neverland: Art Gallery

• (HD) Neverland: Access All Areas

• (HD) Trailer

Final Thoughts:

Neverland is a decent made-for-TV mini-series, and the best of the Syfy produced movies I have seen. The A/V presentation is superb with the DTS-HD Master Audio being quite the stand out. Neverland has a few shortcomings like abysmal dialogue and terribly choreographed and edited fight scenes. What is has going for it is good pacing for a nearly 3 hour watch and a interesting story behind it all. If the idea presented here intrigues you then this is worth a watch, however, I suggest a rental before a blind buy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK S-150MKII LCR
MK S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK MX-350MKII Subwoofer
Xpand X104 3D Glasses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 6106
Greetings,

Thanks Lee.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally thought this was going to be a "sci fi" quality movie... Guess I was wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Watched this last week over the air. I think your review is right on. It came close and just misses being excellent. Very watchable, but just not quite satisfying. As you stated, it was much better than the adaptions Tin Man and Alice.

Home Theater Man Cave: Onkyo 7.1 Klipsch LaScala Mains, Shortened LaScala Klone Center, Klipsch Academy Surrounds and Rears; Panasonic AE8000, Panasonic BDP 460, 117" DIY Screen.
Garage Man Cave: LaScala Industrial Splits; Second hand Denon Amp
post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Good review, Lee.

I watched this 2-part mini-series when it aired, and after viewing the first night's episode I thought it was going to be a pretty good show. Then, it started to unravel quite a bit the second night, with the bad script and acting showing through in many places, some parts even cringe-worthy. But, even though I was disappointed with the quality of the 2nd half of the show, the very original storyline was exceptionally good and imaginative. If it just had some help with the dialogue and acting in the second part, it would have been a very good miniseries.

Lee, if you want to see the very BEST miniseries that the SciFi Channel ever aired (IMO), get yourself a copy of "The Lost Room", a 3-part miniseries that unfortunately has only released on DVD. I'm REALLY hoping that miniseries eventually gets ported over to Blu-ray, as it is one of those kind of shows you can't even get up to go to the bathroom until the entire 4 1/2 hours is over...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie with ButtKicker seating in the FreyMAX™ 3D Theater
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Good review, Lee.

I watched this 2-part mini-series when it aired, and after viewing the first night's episode I thought it was going to be a pretty good show. Then, it started to unravel quite a bit the second night, with the bad script and acting showing through in many places, some parts even cringe-worthy. But, even though I was disappointed with the quality of the 2nd half of the show, the very original storyline was exceptionally good and imaginative. If it just had some help with the dialogue and acting in the second part, it would have been a very good miniseries.

Lee, if you want to see the very BEST miniseries that the SciFi Channel ever aired (IMO), get yourself a copy of "The Lost Room", a 3-part miniseries that unfortunately has only released on DVD. I'm REALLY hoping that miniseries eventually gets ported over to Blu-ray, as it is one of those kind of shows you can't even get up to go to the bathroom until the entire 4 1/2 hours is over...

Thank you. I have heard good things about The Lost Room and have wanted to see it. Lets hope for a blu release!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Neverland Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page