Blu-ray Reviews that are on deck - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 633Likes

post #931 of 958 Old 08-23-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

The studio rarely provides 4K UHD review copies of their catalog release titles. I requested Waterworld but, wasn't sent a copy. I am a fan and picked it up though. If time permits I may put something together.

Regards,
While this movie was a flop at Theater. I really like-it.
Coming out on the 24th of Aug, unfortunately no info on the specs from Amazon.
If it come with a new Atmos/DTS:X sound track, it will be a definite double dipping for me.

And for the Studios not providing a 4K, is a real bummer for you and everyone here who rely on your reviews. To either buy or skip, and firmly believe it is a mistake on their end. Since a 4K release is not much more expensive, than a regular BD.

Darth
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 08-23-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 958 Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 5990
New Arrivals

Greetings,

These are in hand and will post soon:

Regards,
CalJake likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #933 of 958 Old 08-25-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:

Greetings,

I wasn't solicited by the studio for review coverage so, at this point I don't expect to cover.

Regards,
You should buy it for yourself, Ralph. 6 discs, including 2 UHD, $23 retail. Includes 3 versions of the film in UHD. (1979, Redoux, Final) The HDR (DV) and WCG have made a pretty big improvement in the PQ. I can safely say that THIS is the only release version that anyone needs.
Ralph Potts and TravisPNW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 958 Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You should buy it for yourself, Ralph. 6 discs, including 2 UHD, $23 retail. Includes 3 versions of the film in UHD. (1979, Redoux, Final) The HDR (DV) and WCG have made a pretty big improvement in the PQ. I can safely say that THIS is the only release version that anyone needs.
Greetings,

Roger that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #935 of 958 Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Greetings,

Roger that.

Regards,
Wow. I pre-ordered Apocalypse Now 4K UHD a while ago with no idea it was a six disc set including redux.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #936 of 958 Old 08-26-2019, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Wow. I pre-ordered Apocalypse Now 4K UHD a while ago with no idea it was a six disc set including redux.
One UHD disc contains the theatrical and redoux versions, one contains the final cut.
post #937 of 958 Old 08-26-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Sampled about 20 minutes of the final cut last night. PQ is drop-dead beautiful! Best 'Apocalypse Now' has ever looked! I've watched this movie over a dozen times, various formats, all 3 versions.
Ralph Potts and TravisPNW like this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #938 of 958 Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

New Arrival

Greetings,

This arrived today:

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #939 of 958 Old 08-27-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

New Arrivals

Greetings,

These arrived this morning:

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #940 of 958 Old 08-30-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/63...t_b_prod_image
Apocalypse Now 4K UHD
Charles Nordlander
"August 21, 2019
Format: Blu-ray
This review is based on my August 2019 screening of this completely restored, remastered and recut 40th Anniversary "Final Cut" edition of Apocalypse Now. I will not waste time on reviewing the film, itself--if you're even considering buying this 4K version, you're likely a fan of it already, and the question is whether investing in this latest release of MANY versions is worth your money? In a word, YES!!!

This is totally different from many 4K releases of older films, which are often little more than studio money grabs that involve minimal investment is a poorly done uprez of the existing print. For this "Final Cut" of Apocalypse Now, Coppola went back and did a meticulous restoration of the film from the original negative (first time ever), then a 4K remastering with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos sound. (It's worth remembering that Apocalypse Now was groundbreaking in its time for its use of a 5.1 soundtrack.) The results of all this work are absolutely stunning, and so much more than just a higher pixel count. HDR reveals a depth of details, especially in highlights and shadows, that have never been seen before, giving the film a whole new level of visual richness.

As for this "Final" cut of the film, what it amounts to is a shortened version of Redux, but still significantly longer than the original theatrical release. Two scenes added for Redux were cut from this Final version: sex scene with the Playboy Bunnies and the ghost sampan filled with wild monkeys. The plantation scene that first appeared in Redux is still in, but shorter. And that's about it. But this Final Cut release also includes a bunch of new extras that fans of the film will want.

So what about that "one exception" that I mentioned in the headline for this review. It's harder to say if this new version is worth your money if your 4K set lacks Dolby Vision HDR capability (most sets sold do not have it) and if you don't have at least a "good" sound system. For the "completist" fan of this film who wants to have all versions of Coppola's vision, it's still an obvious yes. But for others without a high end 4K set or sound system, you'll still get to see the great restoration work on the film and, of course, the increased resolution of 4K--but you won't see the incredible visual and sound improvements from Dolby Vision HDR and the remastered soundtrack. Well, at the current $22-ish Amazon price, I still think it's worth it, especially with the new extras--but that decision can only be made by you.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, and I hope you find it helpful in making a buying decision. As time allows, I do try to respond to questions in the comments section."
TravisPNW likes this.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 08-30-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #941 of 958 Old 08-31-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My copy of Apocalypse Now just arrivedl

I recommend watching the documentary Hearts of Darkness. The title comes from a script of Joseph Conrad's novella that Orsen Wells never shot. But Coppola used the script including the name "Captain Kurtz". Hearts of Darkness is the making of Apocalypse Now. "Initially set to be a five-month shoot, the film became noted for the problems encountered while making it for over a year, as chronicled in the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991). These problems included Brando arriving on the set overweight and completely unprepared, expensive sets being destroyed by severe weather and Sheen having a breakdown and suffering a near-fatal heart attack while on location. Problems continued after production as the release was postponed several times while Coppola edited over a million feet of film."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now When Martin Sheen returned to the shoot as Captain Willard he is barely recognizable.

Apocalypse Now is an expose' of film making genius and this documentary shows the process of capturing serendipitous moments- often atmosphere or a mood- and editing them in.

Also, watch Redux. Learn the meaning of the military term "FUBAR"
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-03-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #942 of 958 Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

New Arrival

Greetings,

Coming up:

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #943 of 958 Old 09-08-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hello Ralph, Will you be doing 'Dark Phoenix" 4K UHD?

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #944 of 958 Old 09-08-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
Hello Ralph, Will you be doing 'Dark Phoenix" 4K UHD?
Greetings,

I am planning on it. I requested a review copy but, Fox typically doesn't send out product that arrives much before street date. I will post here when I have it in hand.

Regards,
morphinapg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #945 of 958 Old 09-08-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Greetings,

I am planning on it. I requested a review copy but, Fox typically doesn't send out product that arrives much before street date. I will post here when I have it in hand.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph,

I will look forward to your review and really enjoy all the great reveiws you have done!
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #946 of 958 Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
Fox is just doing you a favor TBPH

Josh
post #947 of 958 Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/63...t_b_prod_image
Apocalypse Now 4K UHD
Charles Nordlander
August 21, 2019
Format: Blu-ray
This review is based on my August 2019 screening of this completely restored, remastered and recut 40th Anniversary "Final Cut" edition of Apocalypse Now. I will not waste time on reviewing the film, itself--if you're even considering buying this 4K version, you're likely a fan of it already, and the question is whether investing in this latest release of MANY versions is worth your money? In a word, YES!!!

Meh. Possibly the most over-hyped 4K release this year. Yes, there are many version of the film on different media. This is the 8th release (VHS, Beta, Laserdisc...). Yes, it's a good transfer and the best picture of any previous format but folks, the film is 40 years old, shot on 35mm so a 4K disc should be able to faithfully reproduce the source, which it does. Dolby Vision does a nice job with the famous napalm scene, colors are crisp and bright, one of the disc's highlights.

The sound didn't live up to my expectations. Yes, the Atmos mix is better than previous versions but I found the bass disappointing. For the Final Cut release this summer in theaters, Meyer Sound developed a new technology called Sensual Sound which is basically a sub-woofer that goes down to 13Hz. They were installed in a few theaters around the country and with the newly remixed soundtrack they supposedly created an awe-inspiring low-end experience. I figured the same extended range response would be on the 4K disc. Nope. The bass is typical with good booms that most will enjoy but it's not the ultimate demo disc I was hoping for.

I enjoy the movie and the UHD release is the best yet but it's not the technical tour de force I was expecting. I'll never watch most of the six discs in the box. I wish I had rented it.
Panson likes this.
post #948 of 958 Old 09-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3161 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post
Meh. Possibly the most over-hyped 4K release this year. Yes, there are many version of the film on different media. This is the 8th release (VHS, Beta, Laserdisc...). Yes, it's a good transfer and the best picture of any previous format but folks, the film is 40 years old, shot on 35mm so a 4K disc should be able to faithfully reproduce the source, which it does. Dolby Vision does a nice job with the famous napalm scene, colors are crisp and bright, one of the disc's highlights.

The sound didn't live up to my expectations. Yes, the Atmos mix is better than previous versions but I found the bass disappointing. For the Final Cut release this summer in theaters, Meyer Sound developed a new technology called Sensual Sound which is basically a sub-woofer that goes down to 13Hz. They were installed in a few theaters around the country and with the newly remixed soundtrack they supposedly created an awe-inspiring low-end experience. I figured the same extended range response would be on the 4K disc. Nope. The bass is typical with good booms that most will enjoy but it's not the ultimate demo disc I was hoping for.

I enjoy the movie and the UHD release is the best yet but it's not the technical tour de force I was expecting. I'll never watch most of the six discs in the box. I wish I had rented it.

Just saved me from buying it cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #949 of 958 Old 09-12-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Just saved me from buying it cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i disagree strongly. But Charles Nordlander wrote in his review; 'So what about that "one exception" that I mentioned in the headline for this review. It's harder to say if this new version is worth your money if your 4K set lacks Dolby Vision HDR capability (most sets sold do not have it) and if you don't have at least a "good" sound system. For the "completist" fan of this film who wants to have all versions of Coppola's vision, it's still an obvious yes. But for others without a high end 4K set or sound system, you'll still get to see the great restoration work on the film and, of course, the increased resolution of 4K--but you won't see the incredible visual and sound improvements from Dolby Vision HDR and the remastered soundtrack. Well, at the current $22-ish Amazon price, I still think it's worth it, especially with the new extras--but that decision can only be made by you.'

I have a pair of 1980's Vandersteen IIC speakers which have instead of bass speakers what they called acoustic couplers capable pf realistically reproducing an earthquake. Combined with the lg oled 65 e6p's dolby vision and 4k i got my more than my moneys worth. But then i was drafted in 1969 during the Vietnam war and I saw the boondoggle close up.

So I repeat that for those who appreciate Apocalypse Now or just want to see how an old movie can be brought close to today's standards the movie is worth far more that 22 dollars. However this is my subjective opinion and i realize that other can be justified in disagreeing.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-12-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #950 of 958 Old 09-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Just saved me from buying it cheers.
Quote:
I disagree strongly.....

Personally, not every disc I own has to be reference quality. I mean this is "Apocalypse Now" we're talking about.

Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by meli; 09-12-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #951 of 958 Old 09-12-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Personally, not every disc I own has to be reference quality. I mean this is "Apocalypse Now" we're talking about.
Obviously, there is no one "correct" answer for all with any disc purchase. For me, Dolby Vision and Atmos don't matter. For others, they wouldn't be without either.

A no-brainer for me can be a 4K UHD version of a film that I don't have a disc for, and it's a film that I want in my collection. Things get stickier if I already have a disc that I'm happy with. That's the situation with Apocalypse Now. I have a fine Blu-ray.

With 4K UHD, a little HDR10 bang three or four times during the film isn't going to rock my world. Any resolution plus that isn't fighting grain would simply mean I'd have to move my seat four to six feet closer to appreciate. That I'm not too thrilled about.

One thing I found odd when reading this film's 4K UHD critique at bluraydotcom, is that the best Blu-ray available isn't included in this package. It's far inferior. Some collectors are rankled by this. Can't say I blame them, even though the star of the show is supposed to be the 4K UHD disc.

Extras? I've never been much interested in them, but people coming to this for the first time probably would be.

I still may pick it up, if it's cheap enough.
meli likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 09-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #952 of 958 Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3161 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

Great film but I have it on Blu ray already.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #953 of 958 Old 09-13-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

New Arrivals

Greetings,

These are coming up:

Regards,
morphinapg and Gorilla Killa like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #954 of 958 Old 09-14-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Hey Ralph - Surprised Casino not on list - really enjoyed the 4k upgrade - great looking disk
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #955 of 958 Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Hey Ralph - Surprised Casino not on list - really enjoyed the 4k upgrade - great looking disk
I'll pass.

GPBURNS likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #956 of 958 Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm going to pick up Apocalypse Now 4K UHD as it's a classic that has to be owned.....again. Yes like most of you I am switching out the BR's for the 4K's.
post #957 of 958 Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblkkat View Post
I'm going to pick up Apocalypse Now 4K UHD as it's a classic that has to be owned.....again. Yes like most of you I am switching out the BR's for the 4K's.
I'm all alone.

post #958 of 958 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

New Arrivals

Greetings,

These are in hand:

Regards,
morphinapg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
<<. , Blu Ray Movies , Down The Shore Blu Ray , Jack Reacher Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Rise Of The Guardians Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Smashed Blu Ray , The Guilt Trip Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , This Is 40 Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Veep The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Wreck It Ralph Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Zero Dark Thirty Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page