The Hangover part III (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 6104
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, John Goodman, Ken Jeoung, Heather Graham
Directed by: Todd Phillips
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Craig Mazin, Todd Phillps
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 8, 2013

"The End…."

Film Synopsis:

It's been two years since Bangkok and disaster-magnet Leslie Chow is supposedly locked up in prison. Phil, Stu and Doug are finally living blissful uneventful lives – until their best friend Alan goes off his meds and off the rails triggering a final odyssey of comic mayhem.

My Take:

It’s been two years. Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and Doug (Justin Bartha) are happily living uneventful lives at home. Tattoos have been lasered off, files purged. The last they heard from disaster-magnet Leslie Chow (Ken Jeong), he’d been tossed into a Thai prison and, with him out of the way, the guys have very nearly recovered from their nights prowling the seamy side of Las Vegas in a roofie’d haze, and being kidnapped, shot at, and chased by drug-dealing mobsters in Bangkok.

The only member of the Wolfpack who’s not content is Alan (Zach Galifianakis). Still lacking a sense of purpose, the group’s black sheep has ditched his meds and given in to his natural impulses in a big way – which, for Alan, means no boundaries, no filters and no judgment – until a personal crisis forces him to finally seek the help he needs.

And who better than his three best friends to make sure he takes the first step. This time, there’s no bachelor party. No wedding. What could possibly go wrong? But when the Wolfpack hits the road, all bets are off.

So here we are again. The Hangover captured lightning in a bottle and elevated the buddy/road trip flick to new heights. The sequel was simply a wet noodle that attempted to do the same by re-hashing the elements of the first film. This third installment in the franchise eschews the doped up formula of the first two films and is set more to the action/comedy theme bringing back the same primary cast and including many familiar characters. I went into this viewing with extremely low expectations. While there is little to elevate The hangover part III beyond its odiously derivative narrative which primarily sticks to one note humor that staunchly relies on Zach Galifianakis’ quirky buffoonery I have to admit that I found it more entertaining than its predecessor. Derivative or not there were a few instances where we chuckled out loud and there is no denying the workable chemistry between Helms, Galifianakis, and Cooper. I don’t find Ken Jeong to be funny and wished that John Goodman’s character had a larger part as I enjoyed the scenes he was in.

Alas this third installment lacks the original’s pervasive funny bone tickling dialogue, fresh, situational hilarity and mystery machine style comedy. I didn’t much care for the treatment of the animals depicted in the story either although I can keep that in perspective. In the end the occasional laughs were overshadowed by an uninspired and shallow script that fails to live up to the better action/comedy bro flicks out there.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for pervasive language, sexual references including graphic nudity, drug use and some violent content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Hangover part III comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and gratifying dimension. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation tonal warmth and vibrant textures. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. I found this to be a pristine rendering that looked great on my big screen.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. There are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This comes in the form of low frequency effects, atmospheric ambience/directional sounds and musical enhancement. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Replacing Zach: The Secret Auditions – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Outtakes – 8 minutes

• (HD) The Wolfpack’s Wildest Stunts – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) ach Galifianakis in His Own Words – 2 minutes

• (HD) Pushing the Limits – 3 minute feature

• (HD) Action Mash-Up

• (HD) Inside Focus: The Real Chow – 5 minute “documentary”

• (HD) Extended Scenes – 2 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

As a fan of the original The Hangover I was sorely disappointed in The hangover part II and held out hope that The Hangover part III would return with some of the original’s freshness, engaging wit and uproarious laughs. While I do think that this improves upon the second installment its uninspired script and tedious direction result in a subpar action/comedy that fails to resonate. On a positive note it comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home video with a great looking high definition video transfer and excellent lossless sound quality. The bonus features do little to enhance the experience but are worth a look if you enjoyed the film. If you’re a fan of the franchise and haven’t seen The Hangover part III it’s worth a rental. For those that liked it this offering from Warner Home Video is solid enough to add to your collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
I haven't seen this. Sorry you had to Ralph
post #3 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 412
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have to admit I do not make it to the theatre often to watch movies. I also don't buy BD's anymore until I read your review and check it out on IMDB. So I appreciate your reviews and will rent this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Thanks Ralph. I will throw it in the Netflix que and give it a spin. I also thought part 1 was much better vs part 2.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 2140
Definitely will be picking this up thanks Ralph smile.gif

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #6 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 29
Pure cash grab.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I have one and two on bluray but never seen part 3. I might just buy it on bluray regardless to complete my collection.

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 AM

Picked this up as a weekly rent will be watching sometime this week. If it's good will buy.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Pure cash grab.

That's exactly why I have yet to rent it...just like grown ups 2, It just came off like they were focused only on pooping out another sequel as fast as possible. There's too many good movies out there to watch, IMO....
post #10 of 12 Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM

Watched this tonight, fantastic! Will definitely be picking this up.

God Bless!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks Ralph. I will throw it in the Netflix que and give it a spin. I also thought part 1 was much better vs part 2.

I think it's pretty much safe to say the rest of the world would agree with you on that one. biggrin.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I finally got around to seeing this, and I reacted to it pretty strongly. First of all, Im not a PETA guy, but I am very much anti-animal cruelty. To start a comedy off with no less than four scenes/comments/references involving animal cruelty was beyond disappointing. It took me out of the film immediately and I nearly turned it off. To me, this film was an insult to both the viewer AND the cast.

The only time I laughed during the entire film was...well, actually never. But there was a scene after the credits began that did make me laugh...aside from that, Todd Phillips should be ashamed of himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hangover Part Iii Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page