Man of Steel 3D/2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 196 Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Thanks for the review Ralph. I love your reviews and find them enjoyable more for your commentary than the information about the technical aspects. I just want to watch good stuff and you write very thoughtful articles. I recommend you ignore the snobby remarks above as they don't represent the bulk of your audience.
Bukley likes this.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 196 Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This was my favorite movie of the summer, probably of the year. biggrin.gif
post #33 of 196 Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Liked: 18
REALLY enjoyed this one, and I'm also a fan of the Reeve/Donner films. This is a Superman story for the 21st century, and it totally delivers on all fronts. Epic moments (Pa Kent's final scene, the Krypton sequences, the battles on Earth) and some damn fine casting (only exception may be Lois as she hasn't grown on me and I will probably forever see Margot Kidder as the go-to for that role) and a brilliantly understated score by Zimmer make this a day one purchase. Can't wait for the next installment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 196 Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 124
hopefully there's a steel book, you cant buy a movie called man of steel in plastic packaging. shame there isnt a version that has the score isn't bundled with the movie

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #35 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

hopefully there's a steel book, you cant buy a movie called man of steel in plastic packaging. shame there isnt a version that has the score isn't bundled with the movie

It looks like the special edition Ralph listed in his OP has a steel "S" display but not the case I don't think. But a good deal right now and you can bet there will be other ways to buy this in the coming months. As for me I want it now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ENXBUR2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3/181-6322623-1796324?qid=1383830594&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
post #36 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Awesome can't wait to get this, have had it on pre-order for months.

Does anyone think that the 3D/2D Combo Pak price will drop substantially during Black Friday?

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9Ch. Network Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #37 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
There's a -3dB limiter in the english DTS-HD Master Audio track of the italian edition. Does it happen to be in the US version too?
I find it appalling that this got 100 when it's clearly not powerful like The Dark Knight Rises on the first flight of The Bat, where all the channels peaks go beyond 0dBFS.
post #38 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just ordered the collectors edition. For 10 bucks more I'll have something to pass along to my kids smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ENXBUR2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3/181-6322623-1796324?qid=1383830594&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
post #39 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post

There's a -3dB limiter in the english DTS-HD Master Audio track of the italian edition. Does it happen to be in the US version too?
I find it appalling that this got 100 when it's clearly not powerful like The Dark Knight Rises on the first flight of The Bat, where all the channels peaks go beyond 0dBFS.

Greetings,

Appalling, really?? I have to tell you that my tolerance for this type of posting is growing very short. I find it appalling that someone that hasn't HEARD this soundtrack has decided to post in the review thread to complain about the shortcomings of the track/review.

There are many many supportive members in this community and I am very very appreciative of that but posts like this are wearing thin...

luca_frontino, I can't speak as to the merits or lack thereof of the Italian Edition. If you have a complaint regarding that release please go and find a review thread for that one and have at it. Once you have heard this release I would be more inclined to listen.

Sorry for the rant guys. It might be time for me to pick up my toys...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #40 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post

I don't think anyone is reading these blu-ray reviews for a review of the movie. The rest of the review, though, is helpful.

I do and I'm sure many others do as well. I had no intention of watching Jack Reacher until I read Ralph's review and I'm glad I did. If you don't like "his take" don't read it, skip to the technical aspects.

Ralph - keep it up... all of it smile.gif
MANiaC3173 likes this.

My living room budget build: Vizio e65-f1/ Denon S640H / DefTech PC1000 / DefTech D7 / DefTech ProSub 60 / Dayton Sub1200
post #41 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1193
Looks like a weak 3d offering. Thanks for the warning. Look forward to renting this one.
post #42 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have to discount someone's opinion that thinks going 'beyond 0dBFS' is a good thing...
post #43 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
It's in real time, there's no clipping at the master level. Only if your amplifier has no headroom at reference level you may encounter problems.
Anyway, I wasn't expecting apologists of the dynamic range compression, even if as slightly as in this track. Mind you, I'm not stating the audio sucks, but it's totally not a 100 because it doesn't retain the original peak levels.
mo949 likes this.
post #44 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 94
When a new movie comes out for rent, the first review I always read is Ralph's. It usually indicates whether I will buy it or not. I have agreed so many times with his review. I like a good picture and sound but sometimes that cannot help the script, plot, etc, so a review of the movie itself is very warranted. I say that those that don't want to read at another site or skip that section. Long live Ralph the wise!
post #45 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It's in real time, there's no clipping at the master level. Only if your amplifier has no headroom at reference level you may encounter problems.
Anyway, I wasn't expecting apologists of the dynamic range compression, even if as slightly as in this track. Mind you, I'm not stating the audio sucks, but it's totally not a 100 because it doesn't retain the original peak levels.

Most films on Blu-Ray are usually "remixed" to a Nearfield Home theater version, a separate Printmaster for disc releases. They often don't contain the original dynamic levels of the theatrical version anyway, although I agree -3 as a peak level is holding it back a bit too much.
mo949 likes this.
post #46 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Appalling, really?? I have to tell you that my tolerance for this type of posting is growing very short. I find it appalling that someone that hasn't HEARD this soundtrack has decided to post in the review thread to complain about the shortcomings of the track/review.

There are many many supportive members in this community and I am very very appreciative of that but posts like this are wearing thin...

luca_frontino, I can't speak as to the merits or lack thereof of the Italian Edition. If you have a complaint regarding that release please go and find a review thread for that one and have at it. Once you have heard this release I would be more inclined to listen.

Regards,

For every one person that likes to talk trash there's 20 of us that appreciate what you do Ralph. Thank you for everything!
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #47 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

I wish these reviews would stick to the technical aspects of the transfer (audio, visual) and the features of the blu-ray package. Having a review of the movie is fine, but it seems rather pretentious to include a rating of the movie itself, unless you're including your credentials (e.g. "I studied film at Yale"). I don't think anyone is reading these blu-ray reviews for a review of the movie. The rest of the review, though, is helpful.
The folks with the 'credentials' as you call them, are the ones who don't understand the concept of reviewing movies for what they are, as opposed to reviewing them for what the reviewers would prefer them to be. I mentioned this in another review thread, but THOSE types of reviewers tend to review everything, including movies about giant robots fighting giant monsters in comparison to 'The English Patient' and 'Driving Miss Daisy'.

The great thing about Ralph is that he can differentiate between summer popcorn entertainment vs stuff that is meant to be a little deeper and review each for what it is.

The other simple fact is, people's opinions about movies vary. Some folks may find a particular movie absolutely worth the purchase price, while others would turn down the exact same movie if it was offered to them for free (This Is The End falls in the latter category for me, though I know folks who found the movie an absolute riot).

The simple bottom line that I've learned from having read many movie critics reviews over years and years is a simple concept: Read as many reviews as you can, as some folks may concentrate on some points that are interesting to you vs what other reviewers concentrate on. After reading numerous reviews from various reviewers, you'll come to find that some reviewers in particular share a lot of similar opinions and tastes to your own about various movies. Once you find reviewers that share these similar opinions to your own, they can be a very good gauge as to how much you might like a movie you have yet to watch.
Quote:

Movie making in general and audio mixing in particular are art forms. As such reviewing these works of art is subject to personal interpretation. Some folks like Mondrian, some prefer Rembrandt, some prefer Van Gogh to Monet. Some like the vibrant colors of Renoir, while others prefer more muted tones etc.

Reviewing is based on preferences and is not an empirical science. There are various qualities that various opinions prefer. As with the advice in response to the post above, if you don't agree with a particular person's views on something, find a reviewer whose opinions and references coincide with your own. I personally don't like ULF bass filtering in action movies due to being a basshead who's spent money to obtain ULF capability, but I don't go about criticizing a reviewer's Soundtrack scoring if they don't particularly share those same views. I can still appreciate those reviews with the understanding that in some specific areas, our preferences may differ. Meanwhile, I can look elsewhere to find the reviews and measurements by the people who DO value ULF reproduction for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

Don't do that. There are always contrarians and nitpickers. In contrast, there are for more of us who appreciate your reviews and the time you take to do them. Thanks for the review. I'll be looking to rent this one first as I'm still undecided on purchasing it.

Max
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #48 of 196 Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

I wish these reviews would stick to the technical aspects of the transfer (audio, visual) and the features of the blu-ray package. Having a review of the movie is fine, but it seems rather pretentious to include a rating of the movie itself, unless you're including your credentials (e.g. "I studied film at Yale"). I don't think anyone is reading these blu-ray reviews for a review of the movie. The rest of the review, though, is helpful.

I appreciate the desire to get the info on the facet of transfer to disc medium. However, Ralph goes much further and provide a good review that covers multiple facets of the movie. I may agree or disagree with Ralph but by the time I have read the review, I have a starting point to make a decision. I am lucky in that much of Ralph's subjective in his reviews are similar enough to my own that it affords me a great opportunity to take a step forwards or back from a blu ray purchase.

As for pretentious - why the H3LL would anyone think that the opinion of someone who studied film at Yale would lend value to this thread? It seems the only thing offered that is pretentious is your own comment and measure. I don't like to go into flaming on line but at times a dolt offering of a post lends it self to telling the poster to keep their proverbial tongue in check.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #49 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks very much for the supportive comments guys. Generally I am not thin skinned but had a long hard day at work. In my line of work perspective is something you are faced with daily. His comment, specifically the being appalled remark, in the grand scheme of things just struck a nerve.

You guys are the reason I enjoy my role in this community. It's all good... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #50 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Excellent review Mr. Potts. I agree pretty closely with your general movie review. I recently saw this on BD, but unfortunately it was a portable BD player, so I didn't really get a chance to check out the audio or visual quality to its fullest. I'll rent it (or just buy it maybe. I liked it enough to justify a purchase I think) and play it on my system at home so I can get a better feel for the audio mix.

Storywise, it wasn't quite as good/deep as i'd hoped. i loved what they showed of Krypton and the situation happening there, but I felt that much of the background story of Clark's upbringing fell flat. It didn't really have much impact for me. The 70's Richard Donner film had a hundred times the impact in the single scene of toddler Kal El lifting the truck to save Pa Kent from getting his legs crushed. Nothing in the Snyder version stood out like that scene did in the 70's film.

The action and effects were fantastic though, as expected from a Zack Snyder film. The man knows how to craft an action scene and make them gorgeous to behold. As much flack as Sucker Punch gets for being a bad film, it is absolutely beautiful, even breath-taking in some scenes. Man of Steel almost reaches Sucker Punch levels of flair at times.

The vast majority of my issues with this film, stem from the writing/script and not at all from Snyder's direction, which I feel is one of the best in the industry. The man has undeniable talent. I just hope that next time, he's given a superior script to work from. (i think I'm over David Goyer's screenplays. he had some good stuff in the 90's, particularly the 1st two Blade films [the second of which was backed up by Guillermo del Toro's incredible filmaking skills] but lately i feel he's been more miss than hit. Man of Steel wasn't terrible as scripts/stories go, but it could have been a LOT better)
Ralph Potts likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #51 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I appreciate the desire to get the info on the facet of transfer to disc medium. However, Ralph goes much further and provide a good review that covers multiple facets of the movie. I may agree or disagree with Ralph but by the time I have read the review, I have a starting point to make a decision. I am lucky in that much of Ralph's subjective in his reviews are similar enough to my own that it affords me a great opportunity to take a step forwards or back from a blu ray purchase.

As for pretentious - why the H3LL would anyone think that the opinion of someone who studied film at Yale would lend value to this thread? It seems the only thing offered that is pretentious is your own comment and measure. I don't like to go into flaming on line but at times a dolt offering of a post lends it self to telling the poster to keep their proverbial tongue in check.

I agree 100%
The reason each of us read these reviews is because we are AV and film buffs. I honestly do not purchase a BD until I read Ralph's review first and because I don't seem to make it to the movie theatre much anymore what a great reference I have at my fingertips. As far as Ralph giving his take on the movie I think that comes with the territory. How could you do an AV assessment and movie review without giving your opinion of the movie? I have to add to this and say if people took the time and actually looked to see how many of these reviews he has done they might not be so quick to say stupid things.
post #52 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

A film review is just one person's opinion. Everyone is entittled to their opinion, educated in film school or not. I find that i am not at all in line with the vast majority the supposed 'expert film reviewers" opinions, as oftentimes the films the experts lament, I celebrate. So a guy like Ralph Potts...a fan of films in general who happens to have a lot of technical knowledge on the A/V aspects of film and video...his reviews are a lot more useful to me than the so-called "experts".

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #53 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

I hate to keep the off topic going but had to add my 2 cents.

Your statement about not thinking anyone is reading the reviews for a review of the movie is absolutely ridiculous. It wouldnt have taken you more then 5 minutes to read through some of the past reviews and comments to educate yourself and see for yourself just how many of the posters here do in fact read his reviews for a review of 'the movie'.

(Whether you realize it or not, his rating and discussion of the technical aspects of the movie are his 'opinion' just like his rating of the movie.)

Ralph, Thanks for all you contribute to this forum.
old corps likes this.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #54 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Ralph, you and your reviews almost solely keep me hooked on AVSF. Many thanks for your time and work, and for standing up for yourself! We salute you!

Man Of Steel IMAX 3D for me. Loved it and agree with your review of the movie itself fully. Great to hear you give it 100 audiowise! Your 3D score sounds right as well, compared to other stuff I've seen at the theater this year, and is good enough for me! Very much looking forward to this 3D combo pack!

Again, thank you, Ralph! cool.gif
post #55 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Ralph, you and your reviews almost solely keep me hooked on AVSF. Many thanks for your time and work, and for standing up for yourself! We salute you!

Man Of Steel IMAX 3D for me. Loved it and agree with your review of the movie itself fully. Great to hear you give it 100 audiowise! Your 3D score sounds right as well, compared to other stuff I've seen at the theater this year, and is good enough for me! Very much looking forward to this 3D combo pack!

Again, thank you, Ralph! cool.gif

Greetings,

Thanks Taranteacher. smile.gif

Be sure to post back once you have seen it...cool.gif

Regards,
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #56 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
When i look at Rotten Tomatoes lots of reviewer articles come across as a book reviewers take on movies. As far as i am concerned a movie is primarily visual/audio and secondary a story. If it was up to me most movie reviewers would be fired smile.gif

Its a good thing that Ralph includes a movie review as part of the technical review and its a good thing that folk can comment on technical aspects as well on the movie itself IMO
post #57 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Just came back to this after some days away. What a laugh that folks will complain about something offered up that they can so easily ignore/not read. I have faced this type of commentary all throughout my posting history here at AVS. Hey folks, if it not useful to you, move on. But of course that is not why people post such silly things -- they have agendas so clearly outside of what they're pretending to post about, you really have to wonder if they think they have successfully fooled anyone.

As to Ralph's film notes -- I can't recall or cite a reviewer who so aptly captures my exact reaction to a film after having seen it. I don't read any of the movie/story/theme/content stuff before viewing, but instead look at the audio appraisal, rent or buy, then come back for the movie comments. Time after time Ralph distills the perfect assessment, were I to have applied the time effort energy thought creativity insight required to churn out his reviews. Even when we disagree, he is providing enough to critically weigh my own opinions, which is all I would want, ever. This is how Ralph wins his bona fides -- he is sharp accurate insightful knowledgeable with a sensitive eye to nuance as well as sweeping vision. His degree is awarded in the realm of achievement -- making it happen and proving in the doing.

Ralph, don't ever doubt these facts, friend. No real need to address some detractors -- you and I can skip over their gratuitous junk posting as easily as they could (but curiously don't evidently) skip anything they really objected to. I respect your opinion and admire your ability to plainspeak it without pretentious embellishment. You are the only reviewer I consider essential for either film content OR anything technical.
Ralph Potts and Taranteacher like this.
post #58 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 266
By the way, knowing how much I trust Ralph in this, his other main area of expertise -- protecting and serving the AVS viewing community -- I am greatly looking forward to the audio on this one. Day one purchase on Ralph's say so alone. Experience in this lets me know I won't be disappointed.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #59 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I thought this was C+ movie at best but will still buy it. Superman is my favorite superhero by far and I'm a sucker for the lore.

Also, the actress who played Faora was incredible. She stole every scene she was in. Her and Benedict Cumberbatch (from Star Trek) had the best performances of the summer.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #60 of 196 Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Nice review Mr. Potts. 

Just wondering, do you (or anybody else) know if the Bonus Features portion of the of the BD is exclusive only to the 3D retail version of the movie?

I'm reading other reviews that state the 2D only version of the retail BD have an extremely limited amount of bonus features.

If this is true, that would stink for those that do not have 3D capabilities - to have to pay more for the 3D version just to enjoy the more extended bonus features.  :confused: 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page