Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 71 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Adrian Pasdar, Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore
Directed by: Ed Radomski & Leo Riley
Written by: Henry Gilroy
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 3, 2013

"Brute force teamed with high-tech"

Film Synopsis:

Marvel makes history again with one of the greatest Heroic team ups in the universe. Hulk’s brute strength and Tony Stark’s high-tech intellect come together to create a powerful duo necessary to face off against one of the most dangerous enemies.

When “Zzzax,” a seemingly invincible, energy devouring monster threatens to destroy the planet, these two Avengers are mankind’s only hope. Alone, neither can defeat the awesome power of Zzzax. As a team, they just might have a chance – if they can find a way to work together without smashing heads before time runs out!

My Take:

When two HYDRA scientists try to supercharge a Stark Arc Reactor with Hulk's Gamma Energy, they unleash a being of pure electricity called Zzzax--and he's hungry for destruction. Together, Iron Man and Hulk are the only force that stands in the way of Zzzax's planetary blackout. But first the super heroic duo will have to get through snarling Wendigos, deadly robots and the scaly powerhouse, Abomination.

Iron man & Hulk: Heroes United is a brand new post-Avengers animated film from Marvel that pairs the duo against a formidable foe. Written by Henry Gilroy the script is on the elementary side eschewing threaded story development and jumping right into the action. There are few characters so there is lots of familiar/chummy banter/dialogue between Tony and Hulk as they first knock heads then realize that it will take a combined effort to dispatch Zzzax. To me it felt very much like an extended episode of the type of superhero programming you see on TV. The action is a bit repetitive but certainly supportive of the narrative’s context. I found it mildly entertaining and believe that younger audiences will probably derive more from it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action violence and brief mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Iron man & Hulk: Heroes United comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

Animation can sometimes be difficult to thoroughly judge when evaluating its video quality. This video presentation looks quite good and features colors that are reserved in saturation and consists of tones that are not especially bright but mate well with source material. Resolution is very good with refining clarity as the video had tack like sharpness with crisp edges and no obvious signs of edge enhancement. Contrast is stable which provides plenty of pop to the image during scene transitions that blend light and dark onscreen elements. Blacks don’t have an infinite sense of depth but they are solid black and stand out well when onscreen with mixed content. Dark scenes have excellent contrast with discernible gradational stages and delineated color within backgrounds.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack is well articulated with excellent headroom and crystal clear rendering across the board. The well balanced presentation features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music. The results offer a dynamically satisfying, relatively enveloping surround sound mix that delivers punchy bass, and plenty of action based sounds/effects to make the experience fun.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Marvel Team-up with Ryan Penagos & Joe Q: Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada, joins Ryan Penagos (Agent M) in an intimate and lively one-on-one conversation about these Marvel Team-Ups

• Marvel “Intermissions” - Puts a humorous twist on their old-school original animated series. What better way to take a break from fighting villains than hitting pause and enjoying a little comedy with Marvel Mash-Ups.

• Marvel Mash-ups – Shield, Betty Ross, Lil’ Hulk

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Iron man & Hulk: Heroes United is a brand new post-Avengers animated film from Marvel that pairs the duo against a formidable foe that is hungry for world destruction. I found it to be mildly entertaining however its mix of surface level storytelling and colorful hero interplay make it a good choice for younger Marvel fans. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video and a light supplemental package. This makes for a solid rental for the young Iron man/Hulk fan in your house.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Always glad that you cover the comic book character stuff Ralph! I buy every Marvel or DC Bluray I come across and Ill be getting this one too. Thanks.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #3 of 3 Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Always glad that you cover the comic book character stuff Ralph! I buy every Marvel or DC Bluray I come across and Ill be getting this one too. Thanks.

Greetings,

You're very welcome Reddig... smile.gif

Regards,
Reddig likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags