Machete Kills (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 108 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Danny Trejo, Michelle Rodriguez, Amber Heard, Charlie Sheen, Jessica Alba, Lady Gaga, Vanessa Hudgens, Antonio Banderas, Sofia Vergara, Cuba Goodin Jr., Walt Goggins, William Sadler, Mel Gibson
Directed by: Robert Rodriguez
Music by: Carl Thiel & Robert Rodriguez
Written by: Kyle Ward
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 21, 2014

"Trained to kill. Left for dead. Back for more…"

Film Synopsis:

Danny Trejo (Grindhouse, Machete) returns as legendary ex-Federale Machete Cortez in this action-packed thrill ride from innovative director Robert Rodriguez. In his latest mission, Machete is recruited by the U.S. President (Charlie Sheen/Carlos Estevez; Anger Management, Two and a Half Men) to stop a crazed global terrorist (Mel Gibson; Braveheart, Edge of Darkness) from starting a nuclear war. With a bounty on his head, Machete breaks all the rules as he faces death at every turn from an all-star cast of deadly assassins.

My Take:

Machete kills is the sequel to 2010’s Machete and is an expansion of the “fake” trailer that was released together with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's 2007 Grindhouse series. It continues in its B movie and exploitation film style revolving around a save-the-world plot. Like the first film and other movies in the Grindhouse series this isn’t a “literal” action film. It’s a satiric play on the exploitive action films of yesteryear and features purposefully over the top action, tons of bloodletting, sexy ladies, and a lightly veiled wink and nod expose on border control. Robert Rodriguez’s flair for flamboyance shines through however the unimaginative plot overdrives the weak characters and occasionally stifles the pace.

Whereas Machete had a freshness that belied its manic quality Machete Kills overplays its hand in a bombarding fashion that feels less like satire. Be that as it may there is daft humor, sexy ladies and gratuitous violence which mates well with the Grindhouse theme. Danny Trejo along with several Robert Rodriguez staples return to the cast. The new faces in Sofia Vergara, Amber Heard, and Mel Gibson do well enough to add to the B movie fun. Machete kills doesn’t ring as true as its predecessor but if you can overlook its shortcomings you’ll probably get a kick out of it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence throughout, language and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Machete kills comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.

This is a great looking presentation that looks terrific on my big screen. Shot in high definition fidelity is never in question as images are transparently rendered with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. Colors are pleasing, vivid and kept within the scope of the film’s theme which means various shades of red, brown, green and black with splashes of bright secondary hues. Sepia toned colors have a succulent quality that reveals plenty of subtle delineation and blood is an appropriately dark shade of crimson. Facial features among the principal cast reveal excellent textural nuance while fleshtones appear a bit balmy and exhibit similar complexional characteristics. Blacks are inky, dynamic and stable. Contrast is bold and punchy without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. Overall this is a clean and dimensionally satisfying video presentation that appears faithful to the source.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers smooth, sibilant free treble, tonally rich, crystalline dialogue, and diffused, room filling ambience. The front channels are seamlessly integrated with surrounds tightly infused which creates an immersive, stable soundstage. This mix creates an enriching sound field that comes alive during action based segments as the sounds of obliterated thugs, slashing metal, growling engines and flying bullets invigorate the listening area while being augmented by punchy low frequency response. It made for a fun surround sound experience that mated perfectly with the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 6 Extended/deleted scenes

• (HD) The making of Machete kills – 20 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Machete kills is an expansion of the faux trailer that was released together with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's 2007 Grindhouse series. Like the other movies in the Grindhouse series including its predecessor Machete it isn’t a “literal” action film. It’s intended to be a satirical play on the exploitive action films of yesteryear and features purposefully over the top action, tons of bloodletting, sexy ladies, and a lightly veiled wink and nod expose on border control. It fails to deliver the freshness and appeal of the first film however its merits make it worth checking out especially if you enjoyed Machete. Universal Studios Home Entertainment consistently delivers some of the best high definition presentations on new release Blu-ray titles and this is no exception. I found its pristine video and high quality lossless sound to be excellent. Fans will find the sparse bonus features to be a let down. If you appreciate this style of filmmaking Machete kills is mindlessly entertaining so feel free to give it a spin on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the review, Ralph! I'll be watching this one for sure... cool.gif

oz
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thx for the review.

My wife and I didn't like it at all. The first part was kind of funny because it was so over the top. This one is simply stupid. We can only hope that RR will not make that previewed Machete in Space sequel. That would be ridiculous. From here an "absolute not recommended" rating. Too bad.
zeruck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I like Danny Trejo just fine, he just doesn't seem to carry a movie like a lead should.

The first Machete I thought really sucked just because the whole time I'm watching it, I can't get past the fact that there was no appeal for me whatsoever with Danny as the lead. He's more of a supporting actor in my book. cool.gif
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks for the review Mr. Potts, but not for me.............
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The first one sold me at the "Introducing Don Johnson" credit. And somehow I get the feeling that I'm going to enjoy seeing Mel Gibson in this over EXPENDABLES 3. A guaranteed rental for me.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Thank you Ralph, but will pass on this one.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #8 of 10 Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I think many people found the "over the top" theme within the first movie to be too far over the top, but that was what made it fun for me. smile.gif

oz
post #9 of 10 Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 699
I thought Machete Kills was much more entertaining than the first one. It took itself less seriously than the first one, and really had fun with its theme. Unfortunately, it was a lot less successful than the first one, so I doubt we'll see a Machete 3.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Nice review Ralph. A guilty pleasure for sure:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Machete Kills Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet