Lost in Thailand (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6125
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Well Go USA - 2012
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Mandarin DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English
Starring: Xu Zheng, Wang Bao Qiang, Huang Bo
Written & Directed by: Xu Zheng
Music by: Zhao Ying Jun
Written by: Shu Huan & Ding Ding
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 25, 2014

"The highest-grossing film in China’s history"

Film Synopsis:

Two rival businessmen (Xu Zheng and Huang Bo) must track down their boss at a Buddhist temple to secure a patent on a revolutionary new fuel additive. Xu catches the first plane to Bangkok, where his plans are delayed by the happy-go-lucky Wang (Wang Bao Qiang), an unexpected travel companion who sidetracks Xu’s search, but opens his eyes to life’s true priorities.

My Take:

Lost in Thailand tells the story of struggling scientist, Xu Lang, who invented a solution he calls "Supergas" which has the power of increasing the volume of any liquid to which it is added. Supergas has great potential profitability if applied to gasoline or any precious liquid. However, he needs to obtain the power of attorney of the company’s the biggest shareholder, in order to get further funding to continue development of Supergas. Gao Bo, is a rival at work who was once best friends with Xu, wants to sell Supergas to a French company instead. Either way the first man to obtain the power of attorney has the right to control the product’s future.

Upon the discovery that the shareholder is in Thailand, Xu immediately embarks on a trip to Thailand. Xu’s wife and young daughter have taken a backseat to his devotion to work which has left his marriage on the rocks. His decision to go to Thailand rather than spend time with them is the straw that broke the camel’s back and she demands a divorce. Hoping to make quick work of getting to Thailand, obtaining the power of attorney and returning Xu boards a plane, unwittingly tailed by Gao. On the plane, Xu meets a young man named Wang Bao, who is going to Thailand with a tour group in the hopes of completing a bucket list which consists of things such as visiting a Thai spa, fighting a Muay Thai master, and planting a “heart tree” (really a cactus) he carries with him. Wang is a bit odd but seems harmless enough as he tells Xu that he owns a scallion pancake store in Beijing, and that the famous actress Fan Bingbing is his girlfriend.

Having had enough of Wang during the flight Xu tries to get rid of him when they land, however that turns out to be easier said than done as events unfold that leave Xu reliant upon Wang who continually gets in the way, bungles at every turn but ultimately helps Xu realize what is truly important.

Lost in Thailand is a follow up to the 2010 film “Lost on Journey”, and features writer/director/co-star Xu Zheng in his directorial debut. I wasn’t familiar with either film going into this review but was hoping for a respectable experience which is exactly what I got. This is a funny bone tickling road trip comedy that has a heartwarming center that while formulaic and a bit schmaltzy works quite well thanks to a decent script and excellent chemistry between leads Wang Bao Qiang and Xu Zheng. The situational humor and dialogue/interplay among the principle characters makes for affably goofy fun as the screenplay relies upon a little imagination and stirring themes. I had a good time with Lost in Thailand</> and plan on checking out its predecessor “Lost on journey”.

Parental Guide:

The film contains mild thematic material/language and brief violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Lost in Thailandcomes to Blu-ray from Well Go USA featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 channel Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 1.8 Mbps.

A variety of visuals are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the director’s vision. Colors can vary from being sullen and inanimate to vivid with warm vitality. Skin tones are lifelike with natural tonality and descriptive variation but this can also be scene dependent. Images onscreen are primarily detailed and sharp especially during close up and mid level pans. There are occasions where sharpness wavers, particularly during long rage camera shots, however it appears to be innate to the photography. Contrast is a bit uneven with certain scenes, especially bright exteriors appearing a bit blown out with overdriven whites, while others look just fine. Black levels are slightly elevated while discerning shadow delineation provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. I found this to be a fair yet unremarkable high definition presentation that seemed a good match for the source material.

** CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area.**

The Mandarin lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as sound effects, music and voices are rendered with enriching clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discernable level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement. If I had one minor nit to pick is that the music, which occasionally takes center stage, is mixed on the high side which can be distracting. Otherwise I found the presentation to be enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Making of featurette – 16 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Lost in Thailand is a follow up to the 2010 film “Lost on Journey”, and features writer/director/co-star Xu Zheng in his directorial debut. It’s a funny bone tickling road trip comedy that has a heartwarming center that while formulaic and a bit schmaltzy, works quite well thanks to a decent script and excellent chemistry between leads Wang Bao Qiang and Xu Zheng. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA featuring fair high definition audio/video quality and a light supplemental offering that consists of a making of featurette and trailer. I found Lost in Thailand to surprisingly good and recommend it to genre fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hmm... With the lack of places to rent from now a days this one maybe tough for me to check out but I'm going to take a look for it. I'm not a real fan of buying comedies, for me I can only watch the same funny thing so much before it loses it's impact.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought it was good and gave it a 4 out of 5 today. I think its worth the buy when the price come to its OG price when released around $14.99.

My Website - soreelflix.com
For the latest Movie News, Reviews by a Ninja, a Podcast and Giveaways
My None Family Only Facebook- David Chiang
(Not my Real Name, Just a fan of Shaw Brothers Films)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Lost In Thailand Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page