Draft Day (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Cal1981
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By jhughy2010
  • 1 Post By Deja Vu
  • 1 Post By JDLIVE
  • 1 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 2 Post By Cal1981
  • 2 Post By Summa
  • 1 Post By Woobieizer

post #1 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Draft Day (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

At the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver has the opportunity to rebuild his team when he trades for the number one pick. He must decide what he's willing to sacrifice on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with NFL dreams.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: LionsGate - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 110 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner, Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Sami Elliott, Chadwick Boseman, Ellen Burstyn
Directed by: Ivan Reitman
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Rajiv Joseph & Scott Rothman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 2, 2014

"The greatest victories don't always happen on the field"

My Take:

It’s NFL Draft Day. A day that can change the lives of athletes and the fortunes of football teams forever. After pulling off a blockbuster trade, General Manager Sonny Weaver Jr. (Costner) controls the #1 pick. Up against fan pressure, an ambitious owner (Langella) and a hard-nosed coach (Leary), Sonny faces the biggest decision of his life as the lines between his personal and professional left become blurred. Should he go with the consensus #1 pick or trust his instincts and risk losing it all?

Set against the backdrop of one of the biggest days in American professional sports Draft Day is more or less a personal snapshot that explores the life of a guy as he struggles to maintain balance. Both his career and personal life are at a crossroads and if he plays his cards right he just might be able to achieve the level of success in both that has eluded him. The film is clearly designed to appeal to football fans as it aims to be an authentic conveyance that portrays the politics associated with the NFL Draft. However, along with that the screenplay incorporates elements of supporting drama/melodrama that revolve around the interpersonal relationships and professional conflict that can come with it.

Draft Day doesn’t bring anything new to the genre table but like any good formulaic film it strikes the right chords as you root for the outcome that is clearly coming. Knowing how things will turn out isn’t a problem especially when you like the story’s thematic tone and characters. Much of what makes Draft Day work is owed to the charismatic everyman quality of Kevin Costner. I am a fan and have been for years. My son commented that he is getting old and while that may be true he hasn’t lost the ability to portray strong likeable characters while sharing solid chemistry with those around him (in this case Jennifer Garner and Denis Leary).

Draft Day is probably more human drama than dyed in the wool sports movie but its engaging insights into the elements of its subject have an authentic essence that makes it entertaining enough for fans of both. My wife, who isn’t a football fan watched it with us and she enjoyed it as well. ‘Nuff said….

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief strong language and sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Draft Day comes to Blu-ray Disc from LionsGate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

Draft Day looks excellent on Blu-ray Disc and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibit high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is bold applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites with washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine encoding and reference quality presentation that looks great.

The front loaded lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discernable level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) On the clock: The making of Draft Day (2 segments totaling 59 minutes)
  • (HD) Welcome to Prime Time – 9 minute featurette
  • Filmmaker audio commentary featuring writers Rajiv Joseph and Scott Rothman
  • (HD) 5 deleted scenes totaling 8 minutes
  • (HD) Theatrical trailer
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Draft Day is a paint by the numbers sports drama that strikes all the right chords when you’re in the mood for a bit of rousing entertainment. It comes to Blu-ray from LionsGate Home Entertainment featuring sparkling high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound quality and a decent supplemental package that features cast/crew discussion and a look behind the scenes. I enjoyed Draft Day and recommend that you toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
I loved this film! If you're a football fan and sit watching ESPN on NFL Draft Day, this movie is a must see. Kevin Costner has made a seamless transition from the likable, somewhat naive, romantic lead to older, grittier and sometimes not so likeable leading or supporting characters ( 3 Days to Kill, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit). And you're right about his "everyman" quality when the role calls for it. Add Draft Day to Costner's excellent catalog of good sports movies.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I loved this film! If you're a football fan and sit watching ESPN on NFL Draft Day, this movie is a must see. Kevin Costner has made a seamless transition from the likable, somewhat naive, romantic lead to older, grittier and sometimes not so likeable leading or supporting characters ( 3 Days to Kill, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit). And you're right about his "everyman" quality when the role calls for it. Add Draft Day to Costner's excellent catalog of good sports movies.
Greetings,

There's nothing I can add to your comments Cal..

Regards,
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
I'm going to preface this with, I hate football, I don't think I've ever watched a full game, nor do I care to. truth is I'm not a fan of any pro sports, I love to play, but I hate to watch. I'm also not the least bit interested in the fantasy leagues, or anything like that, including draft days. I do occasionally watch the highlights.

this movie was AWESOME. just the right amount of suspense, drama, and twists. while some things were somewhat obvious, I never felt like I knew for SURE it was going to happen, so I was always on the edge of my seat when those decisions were announced, wondering which way it was going to go. I can't comment on the quality of video or audio, this was a movie I was actually involved in, and couldn't take myself out of the moment to assess how the surround channels were mixed in or anything like that. definitely a top quality 'sports' movie

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
post #6 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Ralph, your review got me interested and I've now watched Draft Day (thanks for that). I don't particularly like football but you don't need to to enjoy this movie as stated in the review. KC may be getting older but so is everyone else and he still looks pretty good. I feel he made a couple of bad choices back in the Postman days; however, he's managed to redeem himself and I enjoy his movies -- good for him. There are certain actors who in my opinion are nearly always in "good" movies and I think KC is again in that category.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Ralph, your review got me interested and I've now watched Draft Day (thanks for that). I don't particularly like football but you don't need to to enjoy this movie as stated in the review. KC may be getting older but so is everyone else and he still looks pretty good. I feel he made a couple of bad choices back in the Postman days; however, he's managed to redeem himself and I enjoy his movies -- good for him. There are certain actors who in my opinion are nearly always in "good" movies and I think KC is again in that category.
Greetings,

Agreed! Thanks for offering your thoughts Deja Vu..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I loved this film! If you're a football fan and sit watching ESPN on NFL Draft Day, this movie is a must see.
When I first saw the ads for this film on TV, I thought it was some kind of slick promo for ESPN's draft coverage.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Another generic movie with stale aftertaste. To give a comparison of quality and likability, this runs neck and neck with "Sweet Home Alabama." You'll forget about it 5 minutes after you've watched it.

Last edited by morbidcorpse; 08-27-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
My wife and kids know virtually nothing about football but really enjoyed this movie a lot. I liked it as well. Very good review Ralph...I agree with your assessment.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #11 of 14 Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
My wife and kids know virtually nothing about football but really enjoyed this movie a lot. I liked it as well. Very good review Ralph...I agree with your assessment.

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I am glad to hear it was popular in your house as well..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 14 Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Of course the movie's premise would be extremely difficult to achieve in the real NFL world but watching Sonny pull of a perfect four cushion draft billiard shot was just loads of fun. The real life guys from ESPN really did their part to sell the story line as well.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
What the heck is with all the dudes in here saying they don't like football? I guess while some of us were knocking heads on Friday nights and making out with cheerleaders, the rest of you were sitting home practicing your tuba solos and discussing Dungeons and Dragons strategies with other nerds! (haha j/k guys...sort of)

I was really excited for this film, but it was just a little too cheesy and I'm too much of a football fan to have enjoyed it more than I did. I didn't feel it was a bad film at all, just not quite as legit as I'd hoped. I was hoping more for the equivalent of Moneyball, and this wasn't it. I enjoyed it for the most part though.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Ralph. Another great movie to watch and review and like clockwork you've got the timer running....

I'm not too sure this is 'color by numbers' material just because it's laced with Sport. I think myself a fan of KC also, but to me it is a typical KC woman by number where he's concerned.
I don't know if that makes sense. Maybe it's that 'everyman' quality fantasy of being IT and winning the girl.

Draft Day was too much like real life for those that like football like Summa does. Right Dude!!
Cleveland Browns Trade Up For QB

I had Johnny sign a ball for ya Summa!
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page