Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #211 of 360 Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion54 View Post
Thanks, but I'm curious; what is "odd" in that extremely short review, the bass (LFE) content?
... "Deep Sub-25 Hz .1 LFE energy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 360 Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post
I enjoyed the sound mix in War of the Worlds better than Godzilla.

Interesting; in all honesty, I'd put them at about the same in terms of ranking -- what it comes down to, as others hinted in this thread a few times, is the way individual people have their systems set up and what gear they're running.

Quote:
Godzilla 2014 has a very good soundtrack, but, considering the genre, it doesn't rank as one of the all time greats in my opinion.

I agree -- but what's sad (and I think I speak for many enthusiasts here) is that when I left the theater after seeing it on opening night, I was convinced it would be once the Blu-ray was released...the disappointment factor over that is what's rubbing many the wrong way.

Quote:
Now, of course I don't have the 7.1 channel setup that Mr. Potts has, so I'll trust his score of "100" based on his experience with his awesome setup. On my 5.1, I'd give it about a 93.

I too am running a 5.1 setup so my system "collapsed" or matrixed the surround back information into my standard surrounds -- did you have any issues with surround placement or overall track "impact" taking the LFE out of the equation? Seems on my AVR, when a 7.1 track is played back in 5.1, there's some kind of "dumbing down" that occurs wherein track volume seems to get "lower" requiring me to jack the master volume way up to compensate. This happens with a handful of DTS-HD MA-encoded titles I own such as Avengers, Thor, both Captain Americas, World War Z...

Quote:
My issue is the "unclean" bass in a couple of segments. 1. The atomic blast on Godzilla in the beginning of the film could have had a little cleaner bass. 2. Some of the MUTO's EMP blasts could have been a little cleaner.

I pretty much agreed with you on that, and yes that nuclear blast on Godzilla in the opening flashback sequence could have been emphasized in a more "cleanly rendered" fashion; there was kind of a "poppy boom" and then the debris flies towards us and the stunning silence (which made me think my system had died the first time I watched it) before the opening "GODZILLA" title came on screen (which could have been a bit more dramatic IMO).

With regard to the MUTO EMP "throbs," these made my walls resonate with an odd "delayed frequency rattle" (along with decorations on them) and my sub sits on an Auralex Subdude, but I see what you mean about the "could have been a little cleaner" thing -- there are some examples I've already given in this thread of tight, clean bass done right such as that scene in Live Free or Die Hard (DTS MA) in which Justin Long and Bruce Willis are in the tunnel in D.C. and that car comes flying at them and they duck before it crashes just forward from their position...during that scene, as the car is flipping, the audio silences out and there's a WALLOP of deep, almost oxygen-sucking LFE that's difficult to describe in words. It made my pant leg move the first time I watched it cranked up...

Quote:
Godzilla's roar could have hit me in the gut a little better (like the 2 T-Rex's from JP, the Lost World). But, I believe it's filmmaker sound design, room acoustics and equipment all at play here. I hate to keep bringing up P Rim, but that was clean sounding bass from beginning to end in my setup. The other though is that perhaps I take this all too seriously...(I do)....

I completely agree about Godzilla's roar, and commented about it a page or two back to someone else -- it didn't pack quite the wallop through the center channel that I expected. With regard to Jurassic Park's T-Rex roar, I had commented about this too in the same post (inevitable to compare them I guess) and stated that many enthusiasts back in the day reported having their drywall get actually cracked during the sequences involving the T-Rex's roaring if their system was up high enough (I believe they were referring to the DVD's DTS edition, which I own as well) though that never happened to me. I was one of the ones who thought HIS roar could have made us crap our pants better too...
willymo likes this.
post #213 of 360 Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I watch this last night on my 7.2 system in my dedicated HT room with a 125in 2.35 screen and Epson 5020ub. The movie itself is dark as most know. I thought the overall colors were slighty muted, Not alot of pop. But I watch the How The West Was Won just a few days ago and the colors in that Older Cinema scope movie were breath taking. They just cant get colors like that in movies any more.
But the pic was sharp with much detail. I saw the movie in the theather opening day and the sound their was excellent. And I was very please with the BD sound. It rocked the room. The muto EMP were my favorite. Godzillas roar was good also. But after owing every Godzilla movie made they just cant get the Roar right compared to the original roar. Small thing to pick but I know that roar. They just cant get the last part of it right. But over all a great Sound track and fun movie. Yes I could pick it to death but I injoy movies for what they are' just a fun 2 hours and a great treat for the LFE fans. Tnaks
willymo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 360 Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I too am running a 5.1 setup so my system "collapsed" or matrixed the surround back information into my standard surrounds -- did you have any issues with surround placement or overall track "impact" taking the LFE out of the equation? Seems on my AVR, when a 7.1 track is played back in 5.1, there's some kind of "dumbing down" that occurs wherein track volume seems to get "lower" requiring me to jack the master volume way up to compensate. This happens with a handful of DTS-HD MA-encoded titles I own such as Avengers, Thor, both Captain Americas, World War Z...
IntelliVolume, I have no such issues with the surround placement or overall track "Impact" as you described. Thanks!!!
post #215 of 360 Old 09-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there!

I suppose none of you have noticed the following.. In two specific scenes there is distortion/artifacts imbedded in the mix.. There may be more. Thankfully I haven't noticed any other, because once heard, it can not be unheard... The two scenes in question are:

When the two MUTO's make contact for the first time - they sorta kiss, the female moans(?), which distorts.. And the other is right before Godzilla blows the females head off with his atomic breath.. He bites her shoulder and she makes a grieving sound which ends with distortion..

Me and two of my friends are all experiencing this.. 4 different speaker systems, 4 different receivers/processors/intergrated amp's, 4 different players, headphones, computer speakers, MacBooks, iPhones, you name it.. It is apparent in stereo, DTS Core and DTS Master.. Even downloaded a REMUX, same thing there.. It almost sounds like static. We have also discovered these "sound artifacts" in Noa, Edge of tomorrow and Need for speed aswell.. It is not the equipment..

So what gives? All of them are DTS Master.
post #216 of 360 Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM

I forgot to add in my comments that even though I am a Godzilla fanatic' For me Pacific Rim was better. Sound was just as good or better' and the colors and just plain quailty of the video was 100 times better. Way cleaner looking and colors that pop. Blacks were some of the best I have seen. Even the night time scenes were clean and you good see detail. I was really disapointed in Godzillas over all muted' dim' look. While I wish Pacific Rim was 2.35 like Godzilla ' Pacific Rim is way better Demo quaility material all way around. As far as plot' well
post #217 of 360 Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therien View Post
Hello there!

I suppose none of you have noticed the following.. In two specific scenes there is distortion/artifacts imbedded in the mix.. There may be more. Thankfully I haven't noticed any other, because once heard, it can not be unheard... The two scenes in question are:

When the two MUTO's make contact for the first time - they sorta kiss, the female moans(?), which distorts.. And the other is right before Godzilla blows the females head off with his atomic breath.. He bites her shoulder and she makes a grieving sound which ends with distortion..

Me and two of my friends are all experiencing this.. 4 different speaker systems, 4 different receivers/processors/intergrated amp's, 4 different players, headphones, computer speakers, MacBooks, iPhones, you name it.. It is apparent in stereo, DTS Core and DTS Master.. Even downloaded a REMUX, same thing there.. It almost sounds like static. We have also discovered these "sound artifacts" in Noa, Edge of tomorrow and Need for speed aswell.. It is not the equipment..

So what gives? All of them are DTS Master.

As mentioned in this thread, there is quite a bit of clipping in Godzilla which is what you are hearing. I just watched this again and it is blatantly obvious in a number of scenes. I still thought this was a blast in the HT, but it has it's issues for sure.
willymo likes this.
post #218 of 360 Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
great review !
post #219 of 360 Old 09-27-2014, 12:49 PM

About the film; you liked it?
post #220 of 360 Old 09-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post
IntelliVolume, I have no such issues with the surround placement or overall track "Impact" as you described. Thanks!!!

Interesting; and what kind of receiver or processor are you runnin'?
post #221 of 360 Old 09-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
I watch this last night on my 7.2 system in my dedicated HT room with a 125in 2.35 screen and Epson 5020ub. The movie itself is dark as most know. I thought the overall colors were slighty muted, Not alot of pop. But I watch the How The West Was Won just a few days ago and the colors in that Older Cinema scope movie were breath taking. They just cant get colors like that in movies any more.
But the pic was sharp with much detail. I saw the movie in the theather opening day and the sound their was excellent. And I was very please with the BD sound. It rocked the room. The muto EMP were my favorite. Godzillas roar was good also. But after owing every Godzilla movie made they just cant get the Roar right compared to the original roar. Small thing to pick but I know that roar. They just cant get the last part of it right. But over all a great Sound track and fun movie. Yes I could pick it to death but I injoy movies for what they are' just a fun 2 hours and a great treat for the LFE fans. Tnaks

While I'm not, seemingly, as fanatical a Godzilla fan as you, I thought the roar in this version was pretty spot-on -- now, that may be because I am mentally comparing it to Roland Emmerich's mess of a film back in 2000, but I could swear this is how Godzilla is supposed to roar...

Seems everyone is in agreement, pretty much, with the "dialed down" color and "pop" scheme of the video encode here -- very much like softish look they gave World War Z and the first Captain America, though I thought it was totally appropriate with The First Avenger given the World War II time period. That said, while Godzilla was kind of muted and soft looking, the visuals still had some eye-opening clarity in certain scenes, such as in the beginning when Ken Wanatabe is flying in the helicopter with his assistant and they're going to investigate the mine in 1999 -- this sequence, as well as the scenes depicting the family leaving for the nuclear plant on the father's birthday, were rendered with great visual clarity and detail.
post #222 of 360 Old 09-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I forgot to add in my comments that even though I am a Godzilla fanatic' For me Pacific Rim was better. Sound was just as good or better' and the colors and just plain quailty of the video was 100 times better. Way cleaner looking and colors that pop. Blacks were some of the best I have seen. Even the night time scenes were clean and you good see detail. I was really disapointed in Godzillas over all muted' dim' look. While I wish Pacific Rim was 2.35 like Godzilla ' Pacific Rim is way better Demo quaility material all way around. As far as plot' well

You have to understand, as well, that sometimes what we are seeing is a result of a filmmaker's photographic or stylistic intention or decision, and not necessarily the result of a video encode/transfer "problem" -- depending on what the filmmaker is going for to accompany a story's emotion, feel, etc., he or she sometimes gives the film a certain look. Zack Snyder is a director notorious for giving his films a gritty, dirty look while injecting intentional film grain elements into the frames -- you can see it in his Man of Steel, 300 and Dawn of the Dead films.

That said, with Godzilla, there is a definite softness and "hazy structure" to the images that reminded me of what was done in World War Z and the first Captain America, though I still say that with The First Avenger, this was appropriate given the story's time frame which was World War II.
post #223 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 06:22 AM

I fully agree Intell' This muted colors ' soft whatever look was deliberate by the Director. I just did not like the look. I prefered the look of Pacific Rim. Also the director has a problem with everything happens at night. Godzilla wasn't a Vampire.
post #224 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I fully agree Intell' This muted colors ' soft whatever look was deliberate by the Director. I just did not like the look. I prefered the look of Pacific Rim. Also the director has a problem with everything happens at night. Godzilla wasn't a Vampire.

LOL, fair enough pepper...
post #225 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I fully agree Intell' This muted colors ' soft whatever look was deliberate by the Director. I just did not like the look. I prefered the look of Pacific Rim.
Also the director has a problem with everything happens at night.

<<< Godzilla wasn't a Vampire. >>>
Exactemente! ...What was it with that director?
...Afraid to show some Godzilla's skin with the sun (suntanning)?

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-28-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: ...
post #226 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I just turned up the sub volume a tad while watching just a few moments in the middle of "Godzilla" and wow, that bass came up through my legs and danced on my chest...I'm impressed!

Can't wait until tomorrow to see I from the beginning.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #227 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
I just turned up the sub volume a tad while watching just a few moments in the middle of "Godzilla" and wow, that bass came up through my legs and danced on my chest...I'm impressed!

Can't wait until tomorrow to see I from the beginning.
Some people prefer watching their movies in the nude, especially for that reason.
post #228 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Bob...

I don't even want to know where that comment is going...
post #229 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 149
...me neither, and I was there!

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #230 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
...me neither, and I was there!

What do you mean, inspector?
post #231 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 PM

I see you. ...'Avatar's (movie) line.
post #232 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 PM

What???

Am I missing something here?
post #233 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM

We are simply having a humorous exchange.

* Some people like Godzilla's roar, others less.
Some people are very pleased with the bass content, others wish for more.
Some people found some audio clipping segments; I agree with them people.

All in all, we all are having our own opinion, and our own ways to express them.
...Life is beautiful.

And some people luv that flick, others don't (me included).

As for the picture and sound; it is beyond the scope of my liking or disliking when the film itself doesn't rock my intellectual/emotional sailing ship.

♦ And I very rarely watch movies totally nude; but it happened few times before.
post #234 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

All in all, we all are having our own opinion, and our own ways to express them.
...Life is beautiful.

As for the picture and sound; it is beyond the scope of my liking or disliking when the film itself doesn't rock my intellectual/emotional sailing ship.

THAT'S what he meant when he said "...and I was there..."??

Quote:
♦ And I very rarely watch movies totally nude; but it happened few times before.

Oh man...that's something I didn't need to know...
post #235 of 360 Old 09-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Well, now you know.

* And yes; he was there in real life when Godzilla saved the world of nuclear/radio active catastrophe.
post #236 of 360 Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Quote:

...Life is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
THAT'S what he meant when he said "...and I was there..."??

Oh man...that's something I didn't need to know...
Quote:
Well, now you know.

* And yes; he was there in real life when Godzilla saved the world of nuclear/radio active catastrophe.
Greetings,

Northsky and IntelliVolume, while I don't mind a personal exchange or off topic quip here and there you two seem to hold personal conversations within review threads too often. I have made mention of this type of discussion before and asked that members kindly refrain from it. Going forward it will be edited and or removed.

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #237 of 360 Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 911
For those that noticed clipping, does it sound like crackling? While watching this movie at high SPL, I thought there was something wrong with my speakers during certain scenes.
post #238 of 360 Old 09-29-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For those that noticed clipping, does it sound like crackling? While watching this movie at high SPL, I thought there was something wrong with my speakers during certain scenes.
Greetings,

Yes, that is what clipping sounds like.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #239 of 360 Old 09-29-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
For those with a OPPO 83SE, there was a problem in the audio decoding from about the 36 minute mark, through all of the action scenes. OPPO is working on a fix, hopefully a firmware fix.
post #240 of 360 Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Northsky and IntelliVolume, while I don't mind a personal exchange or off topic quip here and there you two seem to hold personal conversations within review threads too often. I have made mention of this type of discussion before and asked that members kindly refrain from it. Going forward it will be edited and or removed.

Regards,
My fault, only mine Ralph; sorry about that. ...It won't happen no more; I guarantee.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page