Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #1 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of this summer blockbuster and fourth installment in the popular film franchise based on the Hasbro Toy series that revolves around the age old battle between the Autobots and Decepticons from the distant planet of Cybertron and their epic struggle which continues on Earth.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 164 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1/1.90:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, TJ Miller, Kelsey Grammer, Nicola Peltz, Jack Reynor, Titus Welliver, Voices: Peter Cullen, John Goodman, Ken Wantanabe,
Directed by: Michael Bay
Music by: Steve Jablonsky
Written by: Ehren Kruger
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 30, 2014

"This is not war it’s extinction"

My Take:

Transformers: Age of Extinction begins after an epic battle left a great city torn, but with the world saved. As humanity picks up the pieces, a shadowy group reveals itself in an attempt to control the direction of history…while an ancient, powerful new menace sets Earth in its crosshairs. With the help from a new group of humans, Optimus Prime and the Autobots rise to meet their most fearsome challenge yet while an old nemesis waits in the wings. In an incredible adventure, they are swept up in a war of good and evil, ultimately leading to a climactic battle.

Whether you like Michael Bay or don’t like him there is no denying that he knows how to make an action film. I tend to like his work, probably because I am an action junkie that loves to see and hear stuff blow up, and few do it better than him. I was a teenager when the Transformers toys/animated TV series was all the rage among young kids in the eighties. I honestly never once watched the cartoon but I can recall the theme pretty well. When the first Transformers film hit theaters in 2007 I had little interest in taking the plunge and decided to wait and see what it offered on home video. As it turned out Transformers was a big hit which spawned two sequels. Each of the films revolves around a continuing/age old battle between the Autobots and the Decepticons from the distant planet of Cybertron. After their war decimated Cybertron their epic struggle came to Earth, where the Autobots joined forces with humans to combat the global threat.

Of the first three films the original remains my favorite as neither of the sequels added anything of significant value to the overall thematic rendering. Needless to say when I heard that a fourth installment was on the horizon I didn’t hold out any hope despite the new cast. As alluded to earlier I am an action film junkie and can be pretty forgiving of minimalist storytelling especially when there’s plenty of high octane production value. Transformers: Age of Extinction is largely contrived both in concept and execution, although as you would expect from Michael Bay, a few of the effects laden set pieces and stunt work are pretty cool. In most respects though the film offers a shoestring plot, hollow characters and predominantly repetitive action sequences that make its bloated 164 minute runtime interminable.

I like Mark Wahlberg, T.J. Miller, Kelsey Grammer and Stanley Tucci but there were times where I laughed out loud at their dialogue. Grammer and Tucci are actors capable of serious role playing and listening to them stumble through some of their lines was at times a little painful. Words like campy and mawkish came to mind as I watched Wahlberg’s character interact with his teenaged daughter (Nicola Peltz) which only served to add another layer to the ineptly written script. The attempt at humor was equally abysmal which is a shame because Tucci/Grammer are equally adept at being funny. The lines written for T.J. Miller’s “Lucas” were just plain terrible and again failed to capitalize on a guy that can add a viable element in the chuckle department.

The action was exactly what you’d expect but frankly nothing that we really haven’t seen from the first three films, save for a few nips and tucks that were decent. The door was left wide open for number five and judging from how well Transformers: Age of Extinction did at the box office I would say that fans are certainly ready for more. I don’t have any allusions that it will reinvent the series wheel but I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t hopeful.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, language and brief innuendo.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and Dolby Atmos sound that includes the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD lossless core which has an average bitrate of 5.6 Mbps.

Transformers: Age of Extinction is one of those high definition presentations that looks as good in 3D as it does in 2D. Shot natively in 3D detail is well preserved as the video retains its high level of clarity with objects, people and backgrounds within the frame appearing delineated and sharp. I was impressed by quality of the three dimensional imagery. The spacing of objects/ people in the foreground/background is lifelike which imparts a natural sense of scale as things of various shapes and sizes occupy the virtual world onscreen. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. The cinematography utilizes near field camera perspectives that enhance proportional correlation. There are a variety of sequences that utilize the 3D platform to reach beyond the borders of the screen and the effects are excellent. Contrast is spot on, blacks are inky with excellent dynamic range and colors are deeply saturated and beautifully vibrant. Comparing these elements to the 2D presentation I saw no difference. The rendering of detail and clarity is the same and I didn’t observe any overt instances of crosstalk/ghosting.

The integrated IMAX segments (which are only available in the 3D version) beginning with the opening sequence and shifting back and forth between 1.90:1 and 2.40:1 aspects look terrific. In examining segments of each I didn’t notice any issues with fidelity and saw no perceivable difference in resolution. The aspect ratio shifts are done perpetually throughout the film, even during segments where it isn’t thematically beneficial. At times I found it to be a bit of a distraction but not to an egregious level. Overall Transformers: Age of Extinction makes for a solid 3D experience that looked terrific on my big screen.

Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first home video release to include a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. This is exciting news for home theater fans that have been waiting to see what Dolby Atmos has to offer in the home environment. Unfortunately my system has not yet been upgraded for Atmos playback although I do plan on doing so later this year or early next depending on hardware availability (I am planning on upgrading to the Marantz AV8802). For now all I can attest to is the lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel core which played back without a hiccup.

I had high expectations for this soundtrack and this audio presentation didn’t leave me wanting. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, powerfully dynamic, and demonstrative surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet never overstated. The mix makes effective and aggressive use of the surround channels to extend the soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a tight correlative blend during panning sequences. Dynamics are potent and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an engaging surround mix that utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate its already extended dynamic range. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency detail. Dialogue has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. Transformers: Age of Extinction makes for an entertaining home theater experience on Blu-ray. I can only imagine how good this track will sound in Dolby Atmos. I can’t wait to check it out.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Transformers: Age of Extinction comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute with appreciable sharpness, crisp detail and discerning subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although this appears related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast is dynamically applied without being overpowering and blacks are respectably deep with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent. It should be noted that the 2D Blu-ray presentation doesn’t include the expanded IMAX rendering.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Transformers: Age of Extinction 2D Blu-ray
    Disc 3:Special Features:
  • (HD) Bay On Action—In-depth interview with Michael Bay about his vision and approach to the film’s mind-blowing action sequences – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) Evolution Within Extinction (8 segments totaling 123 minutes):
    1. Generation 2—A look at where the fourth film picks up as we meet new faces—both man and machine—and a Transformers world after the Battle of Chicago.
    2. Drive Like Hell—Two entirely re-envisioned models of OPTIMUS PRIME and BUMBLEBEE appear in the film, along with an intimidating new nemesis, LOCKDOWN, as a Lamborghini Aventador plus other incredibly cool cars including a sophisticated Bugatti Veyron and a sleek Pagani Huayra. Check them out and see how actor Jack Reynor learned how to drive his Sonic rally car for the intense chase sequences.
    3. Small Town, Big Movie— When Transformers rolls into some small Texas towns, the normally quiet and picturesque countryside is suddenly alight with explosive action. Explore the different locations with members of the show's art department and hear from robotics students whose designs appear as part of Cade’s lab.
    4. Shadow Protocol Activated— Follow the production to Detroit with unprecedented access to GM's Lansing plant and Milford Proving Grounds test track; watch an impressive indoor car chase created in an auto parts factory; return to Chicago where location managers discovered a historical movie theater that served as the backdrop for Cade’s fateful first encounter with OPTIMUS PRIME; and finally travel to Washington state and the unlikely site of a never-used nuclear power plant.
    5. The Last Stand—A vacant lot in downtown Detroit is turned into a square block of Hong Kong. Watch as it literally takes shape from the ground up—then marvel as the crew blows it up piece by piece.
    6. The People’s Republic— China plays an extremely prominent role in the film both on-screen and behind-the-scenes; in fact, four Chinese actors were chosen from thousands of applicants on a reality TV show to appear in the movie. In addition, the production traveled to Hong Kong, the beautiful valley of Wulong Karst National Park in Chongqing and the Great Wall in Beijing to capture breathtaking footage.
    7. Rise of the DINOBOTS—Several new TRANSFORMERS characters make their live-action debut in this film. Get a brief history of the new recruits and then go inside Industrial Light & Magic to see how they were designed and conceptualized for the film.
    8. The Finishing Touch— Watch Michael Bay work like you’ve never seen him before. The director connects virtually with his Santa Monica headquarters, visits the editing bay and then checks in on the visual effects house in San Francisco—all from the comfort of his Miami home office. Also, get an in-depth look at the music contributions of Imagine Dragons as they collaborate with the film's composer Steve Jablonsky. Finally, get exclusive red carpet access to the film's world premiere in Hong Kong.
  • (HD) Just Another Giant Effin’ Movie—Discover the fun, frenetic and amazing way a movie like Transformers: Age of Extinction gets made – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) A Spark of Design— Enjoy an exclusive look inside Hasbro's creation of TRANSFORMERS: Age of Extinction Stomp and Chomp Grimlock action figure from concept and development to sculpting and painting, and then ultimately to the assembly line – 15 minute featurette
  • (HD) T.J. Miller: Farm Hippie — Actor/comedian T.J. Miller never imagined he’d be part of a massively successful franchise like Transformers so he sets off to personally thank the people who made it possible. Come along as he visits Bay Films, gets some pointers from Kelsey Grammer, and even stops by Mark Wahlberg’s house in this funny piece – 19 minutes
  • (HD) KRE-O TRANSFORMERS: Take Us Through the Movies! – OPTIMUS PRIME will bring you up to speed on all of the TRANSFORMERS movies one by one in this hilarious, animated short where the TRANSFORMERS KREON figures act out the movies while building and rebuilding each scene…brick by brick.
  • (HD) The Angry Birds TRANSFORMERS: Origin Story - Bonus content tells the origin story of how the EggSpark has landed on Piggy Island causing the eggs on the island to turn into evil Egg-bots, wreaking havoc across the whole island. The EggSpark has also caused the Birds and Pigs to turn into Autobots and Deceptihogs, who must team up in order to stop the Egg-bots before it's too late!
  • (HD) 2 Theatrical trailers
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Transformers: Age of Extinction is the fourth installment in the popular film franchise. Unfortunately it fails to capture the freshness and engaging thrills of the original film and feels flat, boringly formulaic and overlong. On a positive note it looks and sounds great on Blu-ray in this 3D Combo Pack that sports excellent high definition video, room shaking lossless surround sound, a solid 3D rendering and comprehensive supplemental package. Home theater enthusiasts that have been waiting for Dolby Atmos to makes its debut on Blu-ray can take solace in knowing that the wait is over as this is the first release to contain an Atmos surround mix. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to audition it but if the core Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel track is any indication we should all be in for a treat. As a film Transformers: Age of Extinction is tough to recommend but as a home theater experience it’s not to be missed.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 09-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
As a film Transformers: Age of Extinction is tough to recommend but as a home theater experience it’s not to be missed.[/b]
Ralph,

can you confirm if the 3D disc is locked, as in, it cannot be played in 2D with both 2D and 3D player?

I noticed in screenshots on the web that the 3D version has less white crush in some scenes, but a bluer color timing throughout all the feature.
post #3 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked: 3585
Thanks Ralph. Curious to see how this will look at a constant 2.40 when I mask the 3d version for my 2.35 screen. Wish a constant aspect 3d option was available.

Curious to hear the audio. Part three had my overall favorite audio of the three, so curious how this 4th one will fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Right on mister Ralph; I will sure get that one...for the Audio, for the prestige, for the premiere (Dolby Atmos), for my collection (all Transformers movies), for the Pictures (various screen's aspect ratios), for Michael Bay, for his cinematic art, for his vision's interpretation, for the way he deals with cars, his contrasts, his colors, his blacks, his dynamics, his flamboyancy, for the brilliant vibrancy, for the 3D effects, for the CGI transformations, for the classic comics, for the entertainment, for fun, and for everything else that comes with it. ...Without extreme prejudice.

...And forget the rest; acting, dialog, and all that jazz.
Taranteacher likes this.
post #5 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Another great review Ralph. I agree with your assessment of the film too. I will end up getting this as I can still enjoy the film for what it is. And my home theater is just waiting for another beating

P.S. I noticed you have a double post in your writeup with regards to the audio on the disc and Dolby Atmos.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #6 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Using Ralph's "by the numbers rating system", i suggest those who have Atmos to include a rating # with their posting for just the Atmos.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Ralph, I found your review much more entertaining than the movie. Great review and I especially loved your words here:

"I like Mark Wahlberg, T.J. Miller, Kelsey Grammer and Stanley Tucci but there were times where I laughed out loud at their dialogue. Grammer and Tucci are actors capable of serious role playing and listening to them stumble through some of their lines was at times a little painful. Words like campy and mawkish came to mind as I watched Wahlberg’s character interact with his teenaged daughter (Nicola Peltz) which only served to add another layer to the ineptly written script."

Great video and audio and that's it! I believe that having sat through this movie has permanently lowered my IQ by at least twenty points. I only have myself to blame.
post #8 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Great review Ralph!! I saw this in a smaller theater and did not enjoy the A/V experience Micheal Bay films are known for but I believe my 2nd viewing at home will change that.
post #9 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
hello ralph, i allways look forward to your reviews. this is a great review
cant waite to get this moive
post #10 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Another one for the bin. Where did the movies come to? Absolute trash like this makes millions (billions) worldwide and the good scripts have a hard time to find financing.
Just been binge-watching Criterion movies and except 2 or 3 really weird ones, I enjoy all of them for their great film-making and story-telling.
Dolby Atmos' first or not, none of these idiot movies make it into my collection.
post #11 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I can't get past how the transforming animation is simulated; not exacting in how the parts convert from a robot to a car and vice versa. I have Dark Side of the Moon, but will pass on this one. Dark Side of the Moon was also overlong. I found the scenes to be cumulatively headache-inducing if watched in one sitting.
post #12 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I own the first 3, mostly just to occasionally re-watch some action scenes, but after seeing this in theaters I will pass on buying this and probably won't even watch any more if they make them.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
post #13 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks to those that caught and pointed out my double post in the review. I have made the correction...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Ralph,

can you confirm if the 3D disc is locked, as in, it cannot be played in 2D with both 2D and 3D player?

I noticed in screenshots on the web that the 3D version has less white crush in some scenes, but a bluer color timing throughout all the feature.
Greetings,

The 3D disc doesn't include both 2D/3D options (in other words the only encoding on Disc 1 is the 3D version).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
I wonder why they did not include the I-max picture ratio with the 2D version?

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #16 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
...When the first Transformers film hit theaters in 2008...
The first film hit theaters in 2007
Ralph Potts likes this.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #17 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Another one for the bin. Where did the movies come to? Absolute trash like this makes millions (billions) worldwide and the good scripts have a hard time to find financing.
Just been binge-watching Criterion movies and except 2 or 3 really weird ones, I enjoy all of them for their great film-making and story-telling.
Dolby Atmos' first or not, none of these idiot movies make it into my collection.
Amen brother! Criterion anything goes in my collection - They have a love of fine cinema and are truly craftsman at their work. Oh, and also many films are in mono - great writing, directing, and all the departments working at their A game - don't need loud, boring, and stupid! There are still independents being made but absolute crap like this drowns good work in the din of adding more and more gimmicks!
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #18 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6296
Quote:
For now all I can attest to is the lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel core which played back without a hiccup.
Anyone playing this disc on legacy gear is still testing something Atmos related: backwards compatibility. That's what Dolby promised and it is good to see that there were no playback glitches.

Sanjay
post #19 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Anyone playing this disc on legacy gear is still testing something Atmos related: backwards compatibility. That's what Dolby promised and it is good to see that there were no playback glitches.
Greetings,

Absolutely and hence my reason for making a point to mention it.

Regards,
tazz3 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #20 of 213 Old 09-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Great Review! I heard that this is Michael Bay's first time to use a IMAX DIGITAL 3D CAMERA so the 3D shots came out really good. Cant wait to watch it!
tazz3 and Taranteacher like this.
post #21 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked: 4258
was the movie filmed with IMAX cameras?...if so I would have loved a 2D shifting aspect ratio version...the 2nd Transformers IMAX (2D) shifting aspect ratio version was a Walmart exclusive...why are studios refusing to release these movies the way it was shown in the theatres?...MI: Ghost Protocol was another Blu-ray that came with fixed Aspect ratio even though it was filmed with IMAX cameras...I'll take a movie filmed with IMAX cameras over 3D any day of the week...so much more immersive
post #22 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
was the movie filmed with IMAX cameras?...if so I would have loved a 2D shifting aspect ratio version...the 2nd Transformers IMAX (2D) shifting aspect ratio version was a Walmart exclusive...why are studios refusing to release these movies the way it was shown in the theatres?...MI: Ghost Protocol was another Blu-ray that came with fixed Aspect ratio even though it was filmed with IMAX cameras...I'll take a movie filmed with IMAX cameras over 3D any day of the week...so much more immersive
I love IMAX cameras, and reproduced on our screens as well. ... 'The Dark Knight' ...The few scenes.
post #23 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
This is my favorite of the Transformers movies to date - I actually liked the story quite a bit - and have had it preordered since the day I walked out of the theater.

Really, I don't get all the hate thrown this film's way.

For me the series ranks as 4, 1, 3, 2.
Franin likes this.
post #24 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Amen brother! Criterion anything goes in my collection - They have a love of fine cinema and are truly craftsman at their work.
So then you had no problem with the Criterion DVD releases of Armageddon or The Rock, correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40_box_348x490_original.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	274482   Click image for larger version

Name:	108_box_348x490_original.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	274490  
thehun and Cal68 like this.
post #25 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
I ordered my bluray thru Amazon a while back, they said estimated delivery date is: Monday, October 6, 2014....
I missed this in the cinema, but figured what the heck for home viewing these are simply fun....will post our family review afterward
Ralph Potts and Taranteacher like this.
post #26 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 53
THANKS RALPH. I love at times DUMB and dim witted LOUD movies...that looks awesome in 3D.
Ralph Potts and Taranteacher like this.

PS3+4---> CHiNGOBLiNG ; XB1X -->cata1= RUBEN...YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!... "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER".7/22/16....just a KLIPSCH NUT..>7/22/16...2new videos show..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWO0YtCWQxI.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIen05Wcg9w. u can even look from when I started about to present day.... i stutter sometimes....
post #27 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
This is my favorite of the Transformers movies to date - I actually liked the story quite a bit - and have had it preordered since the day I walked out of the theater.

Really, I don't get all the hate thrown this film's way.

For me the series ranks as 4, 1, 3, 2.
Greetings,

No worries kucharsk, one man's meat is another man's poison etc. I am glad to hear that you liked this one. For the record I didn't hate it and will be adding it to my collection alongside the other three...

Regards,
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #28 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Another great and accurate review Ralph. Gracias.

I do so wish the story and characters were better written, as the trailers for all the Transformers films have been among some of the best action-movie trailers I've ever seen (imho). And then the have films been so... "meh".

It's a shame because I really like the Transformers IP and with {MUCH} better writing and more judicious editing - i.e. less of the cringe-worthy {un}comic{al} relief - there could have been more to these than meets the eye. But at least this "meets the eye" (and ears) with enough to serve as great demo material, so I will likely pick it up on those merits alone since I sat this one out for a cinema viewing. And if it's at least on par with Dark Of The Moon (which I liked 2cd after the first one) was I might even enjoy it in small doses.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
...I would have loved a 2D shifting aspect ratio version...
I would like to have seen this too, even though it sounds like there were some fairly random choices for which scenes to display in the more open IMAX AR. For what it's worth, if you ever have the means to check out or even obtain the LG 84" 4K set (84UB9800) I highly reccommend it. It allows you to watch 3DBR's in 2D.

Quote:
...I'll take a movie filmed with IMAX cameras over 3D any day of the week...so much more immersive
Respectfully, this doesn't make sense. A good percentage of movies filmed with IMAX cameras are both 3D *and* large format/IMAX resolution; 3D and IMAX format are not mutually exclusive. And regardless of anyone's personal preference regarding 3D, to imply it is less immersive is a misnomer imho.
post #30 of 213 Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thanks Ralph,
I saw the BD 2D version (Non ATMOS) over the weekend.....I was a bit disappointed with the movie itself but I do agree with your audio rating of 100 and especially your 2D video rating of 94, you, like always, are absolutely on point with those scores.
Glad to see the 2D video was not a perfect 100 (it wasn't IMO).....some other on-line reviewers have scored the video at 100 and I disagree.

Paul
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page