Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #271 of 318 Old 11-03-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The climax was am overkill.

Blu-ray : 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 318 Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Thanks Mr Potts for your great reviews. You really help me decide what to buy for my HT room. Having a 127in 2.35 screen' I really like to show the best quality movies I can get. Plus a decent plot helps. I like how you do not pick movies apart like many here but injoy them for what they are. Just good old Popcorn entertaiment. Thanks again.
I agree, Ralph has become my go-to reviewer . This was one of the more enjoyable popcorn flicks to come down the pyke in awhile and with a capable HT system, it is really a fun ride.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #273 of 318 Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I agree, Ralph has become my go-to reviewer . This was one of the more enjoyable popcorn flicks to come down the pyke in awhile and with a capable HT system, it is really a fun ride.
Greetings,

Thanks RMK. Much appreciated...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 318 Old 11-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
A simple question to expert observers: How many times did he die all together?

* It is not an easy answer by the way. ...You need to revisit the flick few times, and count.
But perhaps someone here, a member, did just that, and knows the answer.
post #275 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
A simple question to expert observers: How many times did he die all together?

* It is not an easy answer by the way. ...You need to revisit the flick few times, and count.
But perhaps someone here, a member, did just that, and knows the answer.
Do you mean total deaths or just "shown" deaths? Total deaths I assume you cannot count because i think some clips jump deaths. If you count show then I'm not sure but I assume could be counted if someone wanted.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #276 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
Do you mean total deaths or just "shown" deaths? Total deaths I assume you cannot count because i think some clips jump deaths. If you count show then I'm not sure but I assume could be counted if someone wanted.
There is only one person in the world I know of that would come close to even thinking of a question like that...

Spoiler!
post #277 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Total deaths, yes; shown, AND suggested. ...All together. ...And the clips that do jump deaths; they still are a clear indicator that he also died there.

* Hint: It is more than a dozen times.
post #278 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
There is only one person in the world I know of that would come close to even thinking of a question like that...

Spoiler!
If your suggestion is positive, that is good. I simply don't know that other member you are referring to.
Me, I'm French, and my real name is in my sig.

* Did you enjoy the movie? ...You like Ralph's review of it?

I like that flick very much myself; very different, innovative, and cool chemistry between our two heroes.
...The two main characters.
post #279 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Total deaths, yes; shown, AND suggested. ...All together. ...And the clips that do jump deaths; they still are a clear indicator that he also died there.

* Hint: It is more than a dozen times.
What I mean by jumped deaths would mean like one scene he dies then the next scene he shows could be 10-20 deaths later. There is no way to know that.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #280 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What I mean by jumped deaths would mean like one scene he dies then the next scene he shows could be 10-20 deaths later. There is no way to know that.
And that is exactly why I said that it wasn't easy.

It is like counting the ones you can for sure account for, and only best guessing the other deaths suggested by those scenes that are much more than unclear.

Basically, it is impossible. ...One thing is for sure though; he died many many many times...perhaps over hundred times. ...If not much more...

What a cool conceptual flick! ...The idea is tres haut de gamme.
post #281 of 318 Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And that is exactly why I said that it wasn't easy.

It is like counting the ones you can for sure account for, and only best guessing the other deaths suggested by those scenes that are much more than unclear.

Basically, it is impossible. ...One thing is for sure though; he died many many many times...perhaps over hundred times. ...If not much more...

What a cool conceptual flick! ...The idea is tres haut de gamme.
Agreed. I deffinitely think to get good enough to finally make it through and win the battle would take hundreds if not thousands of times.

I know it's not exactly the same and they don't have marking points like learning piano or ice sculpting in Groundhog Day but it's been claimed that that movie played out over as few as 30-40 years (director estimate) to 10,000 years(writer). Links under production section on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #282 of 318 Old 11-06-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Agreed. I deffinitely think to get good enough to finally make it through and win the battle would take hundreds if not thousands of times.

I know it's not exactly the same and they don't have marking points like learning piano or ice sculpting in Groundhog Day but it's been claimed that that movie played out over as few as 30-40 years (director estimate) to 10,000 years(writer). Links under production section on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)
Since he's resetting to Day One (or Day Zero?) each time, then in 40 years that's 14,600 deaths. Days beyond Day One have no real meaning, because that's the reset point. He may live ten hours on one reset and ten weeks on another, but when he dies, it's back to Day One.

Plus his success would not always be linear. Just rolling under the truck and getting crushed or not getting crushed is an almost randomized event. He messes up the first time, then maybe gets it right the next three times, then messes up on the fifth. He doesn't always get farther with each reset.

Okay, mind blown...

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #283 of 318 Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just watched this movie last night and the bass sweep audio at the beginning made my heart skipped a few beats because I thought something was about to explode in my mechanical room behind my front stage wall. In addition to my HSU VTF3-MK3 sub, I also have ButtKickers in my theater chairs. I was listening at -35db on midnight mode and so normally the Buttkickers do not engage. The only thing that kept me from leaping out of my chair and running to the mechanical room was that I finally recalled Ralph's review, which I had read a while back.

Now I am curious how this is going sound like at a higher volume level with night mode off. I am assuming my speakers will be fine since my AVR will send all frequency below my cutoff point of 80Hz to the LFE channel?

Still Learning

Last edited by mifronte; 11-08-2014 at 01:23 PM.
post #284 of 318 Old 11-08-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post
I just watched this movie last night and the bass sweep audio at the beginning made my heart skipped a few beats because I thought something was about to explode in my mechanical room behind my front stage wall. In addition to my HSU VTF3-MK3 sub, I also have ButtKickers in my theater chairs. I was listening at -35db on midnight mode and so normally the Buttkickers do not engage. The only thing that kept me from leaping out of my chair and running to the mechanical room was that I finally recalled Ralph's review, which I had read a while back.

Now I am curious how this is going sound like at a higher volume level with night mode off. I am assuming my speakers will be fine since my AVR will send all frequency below my cutoff point of 80Hz to the LFE channel?
Your speakers should be fine. If you use a commercial subwoofer, it should be fine, too. They usually have protections built into them to prevent damage. I dunno what protections are built into your buttkicker.

If you built your own subwoofer, it might not like it, depending on the design. Some do-it-yourselfers have reported their subs being damaged. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...eful-guys.html

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #285 of 318 Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I watched this movie this afternoon at pretty high volume and this film really comes alive! I own a VTF15H and my sub was fine at those volumes.
lgans316 likes this.
post #286 of 318 Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just watched this today at -15
My vtf 3 mk4 did just fine but the bass was Insane lol!.

I also hooked up my old 12 JBL it also handled it well I guess smaller subs Ralph is referring to is 10" and 8" subs.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
post #287 of 318 Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3573
I always watch films first run at -1 from ref, but I played the beginning at -5 just to be safe and WOW, it was crazy! My subs did fine, but my Buttkickers were knocking on that last part of the bass sweeps. Need to double up on the kickers and add another amp as well! Fun movie though and the A/V was great.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #288 of 318 Old 11-09-2014, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post
Just watched this today at -15
My vtf 3 mk4 did just fine but the bass was Insane lol!.

I also hooked up my old 12 JBL it also handled it well I guess smaller subs Ralph is referring to is 10" and 8" subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I always watch films first run at -1 from ref, but I played the beginning at -5 just to be safe and WOW, it was crazy! My subs did fine, but my Buttkickers were knocking on that last part of the bass sweeps. Need to double up on the kickers and add another amp as well! Fun movie though and the A/V was great.
Greetings,

Glad to hear you guys survived that opening..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #289 of 318 Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Glad to hear you guys survived that opening..

Regards,
Did your SVS PB-13 Ultra & PC12-NSD combo survive the bass test at reference? Is your PB13U tuned to 20Hz / 16Hz?
post #290 of 318 Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Did your SVS PB-13 Ultra & PC12-NSD combo survive the bass test at reference? Is your PB13U tuned to 20Hz / 16Hz?
Greetings,

16Hz and yes..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #291 of 318 Old 01-17-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Just ordered this one in 3D. Sounds like it will be a very nice workout for my system!

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #292 of 318 Old 01-24-2015, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great Review!!

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-24-2015 at 04:24 AM. Reason: No need to quote the entire review
post #293 of 318 Old 01-24-2015, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamjam View Post
Great Review!!
Greetings,

Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #294 of 318 Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
how was this movie in 3d?
post #295 of 318 Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptunes2 View Post
how was this movie in 3d?
Well below native 3D in quality,IMHO. It seems like there are foreground objects in focus and background objects which are out of focus. Nothing in between.
post #296 of 318 Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Great review, and I have to agree with others who have praised Tom Cruise for hi performance in this movie. Seeing the character change as the movie progressed was definitely a great piece of work from Tom.

The extras were good too - and it seems that many directors and actors have nothing but praise for Tom and his work ethic. I seem to hear that more than other actors, although they all do tend to be quite praiseworthy of their colleagues when they talk about it, but Tom just seems to get it more so.

I watched it two days in a row and that's not something I do very often. I'll probably watch it again some time soon as well, especially when I get my new theatre underway.

I thought the score was pretty good too, so i have a copy of that as well (track 6 is my favourite I think "Find me when you wake up").

I have to agree, that Tom has made some pretty good movies recently (I watched Oblivion twice as well funnily enough), and he's certainly gone up in my estimations.

Looking forward to his next job

Gary
Ralph Potts likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #297 of 318 Old 02-13-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Intro of this movie almost made my sub jump out of window from excitement.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #298 of 318 Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys
Everyone seems to give Edge Of Tomorrow glowing reviews for it's 3D. I love the movie! However, whenever I view it in 3D, it doesn't look good at all. Shimmery, blurry, dizzying. The helicopters that are supposed to be far away, look closer than the larger ones that are supposed to be nearer.
All my other 3D movies are perfect and pristine...even older ones that were post converted years later (such as Titanic).
I thought perhaps I had purchased a faulty disc..............so I bought another....but nope, it still looks awful to me.
Can there me a cause for this? Do I need a better TV? A better 3d BluRay player? But as I said.......all my other 3D movies look perfect.
I have no idea why Edge Of Tomorrow looks bad.
Suggestions anyone?
Many thanks!
post #299 of 318 Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weston View Post
Hi guys
Everyone seems to give Edge Of Tomorrow glowing reviews for it's 3D. I love the movie! However, whenever I view it in 3D, it doesn't look good at all. Shimmery, blurry, dizzying. The helicopters that are supposed to be far away, look closer than the larger ones that are supposed to be nearer.
All my other 3D movies are perfect and pristine...even older ones that were post converted years later (such as Titanic).
I thought perhaps I had purchased a faulty disc..............so I bought another....but nope, it still looks awful to me.
Can there me a cause for this? Do I need a better TV? A better 3d BluRay player? But as I said.......all my other 3D movies look perfect.
I have no idea why Edge Of Tomorrow looks bad.
Suggestions anyone?
Many thanks!
I would first try and see if you need to swap L\R, (that could be movie dependent)

But can't really come up with much more than that.
Personally I have NEVER seen a 3d version of a movie I didn't think ruin image quality, usually I just wind up stopping the movie and put on the 2d version instead.

Only time so far I have seen a 3d movie from start to finish was when I was too drunk to switch :P
post #300 of 318 Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I loved this movie but my 19 yo grand-daughter thought it sucked (She thinks all time travel movies are dumb and frustrating to watch). Emily Blunt was perfect for the part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page