The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D (Blu-ray) Official Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D (Blu-ray) Official Review

Check out our review of this Extended Edition of the continuing adventure of the title character Bilbo Baggins as he journeys with the Wizard Gandalf and thirteen Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield, on an epic quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain and the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 186 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: > English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ian McKellan, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Orlando Bloom Evangeline Lily, Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Luke Evans
Directed by: Peter Jackson
Music by: Howard Shore
Written by: > Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens, Peter Jackson , Guillermo Del Toro
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 4, 2014

"Beyond darkness…beyond desolation…lies the greatest danger of all"

My Take:

I reviewed The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug when it was released on Blu-ray in March. I will include my comments from that review and add my thoughts on the newly integrated footage.

The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug is the second chapter in Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. Follow Bilbo Baggins as he’s swept into a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield.

In the first installment their journey took them through treacherous lands swarming with Trolls, Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs. Along their route in the goblin tunnels, Bilbo met the creature Gollum who unwittingly became forever tied to by gaining possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities, tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth. Several key talent members from The Lord of the Rings trilogy reprise their roles, along with exciting new cast members and that continues here. The film picks up where it left off with the group being actively pursued by a pack of Orcs led by Azog whose hatred for Thorin is fueled by a vengeful thirst.

Their flight leads them to several encounters beginning with Beorn, the skin-changer who provides them with shelter as well as security while in his form as a large ferocious bear that even the Orcs won’t tangle with. With Beorn’s help they make it to the borders of Mirkwood the woodland realm of the Wood-elves. There they encounter giant spiders before being rescued and imprisoned by the elves lead by King Thrainduil who has a deeper understanding of the foreboding evil that threatens Middle-Earth but whose actions remain purposefully unclear.

With Bilbo’s “stealthy” aid the Dwarves make their escape but not before another brutal exchange with the pursuing Orc pack. After being smuggled into the Lake-town of Esgaroth they find themselves in the shadow of the Lonely Mountain. With the assistance of elves Legolas and Tauriel who followed them from Mirkwood they stave off another Orc attack before heading to the base of the mountain. Their plan is to utilize the talents of their “burglar” to recover the Arkenstone out from under the sleeping dragon Smaug. In the Meanwhile Gandalf investigates the portending darkness emanating from the Dol Gudur ruins to south. What lies in wait is the culmination of his darkest fears. Upon entry to catacombs of the Lonely Mountain Bilbo finds himself face to face with the most imposing, vile and bloodthirsty villain to pose a threat to Middle-Earth in ages. How do you stop the unstoppable…?

I saw The desolation of Smaug in the theater with my daughter back in December and really enjoyed it. The pacing versus “An unexpected journey” was smoother and I found myself engrossed in the plot, the action and the characters both old and new. The building storyline includes snippets of humor, engaging banter and elements of drama/action as it steams toward a rewarding final act and cliffhanger that segues into the next installment. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. The international ensemble cast is led by Benedict Cumberbatch, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Stephen Fry, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt and Orlando Bloom as Legolas. The film also stars Mikael Persbrandt, Sylvester McCoy, Aidan Turner, Dean O’Gorman, Graham McTavish, Adam Brown, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Jed Brophy, William Kircher, Stephen Hunter, Ryan Gage, John Bell, Manu Bennett and Lawrence Makoare.

This extended cut of The Hobbit: the desolation of Smaug includes 25 minutes of extra film footage that extends individual scenes. The sequences that contain the bulk of the additional material are the opening segment that takes place in the Prancing Pony, the encounter with Beorn (the skin changer), traversing the woodland realm of Mirkwood and Gandalf’s encounter at the Dol Gudur ruins. The extended sequence in the film’s opening features Thorin recounting to Gandalf the events surrounding his father’s involvement in the infamous battle with Azog. The sequence with Beorn involves Gandalf breaking the news to him that he has uninvited houseguests, that just happen to be Dwarves, followed by each introducing themselves (much to his dismay). The extended Mirkwood sequence follows the group as they contend with the forests maze and in particular crossing a dangerous stream, forewarned to them by Gandalf prior to his departure. There is some minor connective tissue in each of these extended scenes but neither adds anything appreciable of note save for some entertaining levity during the Beorn exchange.

The Dol Gudur sequence is one that I was surprised to see cut from the theatrical version. It includes a character that would seemingly carry some weight within the storyline (especially in light of the newly added sequence in the film’s opening), and in watching it I am amazed how the editor was able to cut around it without leaving the sequence in tatters. I am not certain what direction that aspect of the story will take, perhaps it goes nowhere, which is why it was omitted. I have decided not to reveal details as I don’t want to spoil it. Any remaining footage were remnants that had less of an impact. Overall, aside from the Dol Gudur sequence, I didn’t feel that the reinstated elements adding any noteworthy depth to the film however they didn’t detract from it and integrated well enough to be complimentary.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition will be available as a 5-disc Blu-ray 3D set (which is the subject of this review) that features the Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray versions of the Extended Edition; and a 3-disc Blu-ray both of which include a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet.

The nine-plus hours of new special features boasts audio commentary with Peter Jackson, the film's director/producer/screenwriter, and Philippa Boyens, co-producer/screenwriter, as well as “The Appendices,” a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy.

I can’t wait for what comes next and commend Peter Jackson for his attention to detail and handling of the production design/elements and well-chosen cast.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 94

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

* My comments here will be the same as my 3D review of The Desolation of Smaug as the presentations are identical. *

I have watched a variety of 3D high definition video both animated and live action. Prior to experiencing 3D in the home environment on Blu-ray, 3D wasn’t something that appealed to me. I had always found the gimmicky nature of 3D off putting and the imagery combined with the uncomfortable glasses always seemed to give me a headache. I must admit that over the last two years I have enjoyed its implementation on Blu-ray and the better quality releases have elevated the experience. I am pleased to report that The Hobbit The desolation of Smaug is just such an example and looks terrific in 3D. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. I was drawn in by the depth and realism of the three dimensional imagery. The separation of objects and or characters layered in the foreground/background creates an involving sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. This is done to superb effect.

Shot in 3D there is an incredibly natural sense of dimension and any use of screen popping effects never feels overtly gimmicky but rather serves to enhance the storyline. Just such an example occurs just as the Dwarves enter Beorn’s compound. There are plants, trees and small buildings as well as several giant Bees hovering and flying about. At one point the Bees circumnavigate the frame flying toward the camera and seemingly out into the room. The effect is really very good. Fidelity is intact as the film’s gorgeous array of colors, defining contrast and rich blacks bring Middle-Earth to life with visually arresting results. If I had to describe the experience of watching The Hobbit The desolation of Smaug in 3D I would describe it as natural and engaging. I didn’t notice one instance of Ghosting or video related anomalies.

* My comments here regarding the audio mix will be the same as my review of The Desolation of Smaug as the presentations are identical. *

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I enjoyed the audio presentation in the theater and looked forward to hearing it in the familiar confines of my theater room. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, dynamic, and rewarding listening experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet not overstated. The mix makes effective use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage as it reproduces the spatial and discrete sounds contained in soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during sequences involving sounds that travel through the room. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation.

Early to the middle parts of the film much of the bass response remains in the upper registers with occasional dips that engage the room. Once the third act begins, when Bilbo awakens Smaug things open up and shake quite nicely. Low frequency effects are reproduced with authority, coinciding with the recording’s excellent dynamic range resulting in room energizing bass transients that are palpable. Smaug’s footsteps, growling voice (love Benedict Cumberbatch!), bursts of flame and the rumbling/crashing of his pursuit of the “invading “ Dwarves illuminates the listening area with tactile bass response. I couldn’t say with certainty that there has been some filtering applied to the LFE channel but the lack of skin tingling infrasonic bass is notable. That shouldn’t be taken to mean that the soundtrack has anemic bass response. There is ample depth and richness to the low end however it rarely descends into the ultra low frequency realm.

It’s easy to sometimes overlook the intricacies that go into the design of soundtracks such as this. In this case even seemingly inconspicuous minutia within the recording is detectable. The end result is a terrific audio presentation that compliments the source material. Be sure to give the volume knob a couple of extra clicks, sit back and enjoy the ride.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 Mbps.

* My comments here will be the same as my 2D review of The Desolation of Smaug as the presentations are identical. *

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a varied color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The nature of the photography isn’t lent to high gloss imagery and razor sharpness however there is an enriching and film like quality that abounds. High definition’s increased resolution is readily apparent as textural nuance and subtle refinement is apparent, especially during close-ups. Wide angle vistas views tend to look gorgeous more often than not but can be limited by the film’s post production effects. The color range is comprised of earth tones, shades of dark blue, brown, gray and black with splashes of crimson and green/blue hues. Like the color palette fleshtones shift accordingly to coincide with the mood, lighting and scenic theme. The overall result works perfectly within the film’s narrative construct. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites and grays with minimal loss of detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is equally discerning. The film’s deep grays, rich contrast and stimulating visual aura makes for a perfect companion to the story‘s elements. The use of CGI/green screens and photographic effects innately softens some elements but doesn’t detract in my opinion. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous noise. The result is a gorgeous high definition rendering that mimics that theatrical presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • Discs 1&2:
  • Parts 1&2 of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 3:
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 2D Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary with Director Peter Jackson & co-writer/producer Philippa Boyens
  • (HD) New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth – part 2
    Disc 4:
  • (HD) The Appendices part 9 – Into the Wilderland (13 segments totaling 5 hours):
    1. A warm welcome
    2. Business of the state
    3. Shelter on the long lake
    4. In the halls of the Elvenking
    5. Flies & spiders
    6. Queer lodgings
    7. On the doorstep
    8. Inside information
    9. Down the swift dark stream
    10. Barrels out of bond
    11. A chance meeting
    12. Erebor rekindled
    13. …Into the fire
    Disc 5:
  • (HD) The Appendices part 10 – Journey to Erebor (7 segments totaling 5 hours):
    1. Summing Smaug: Last of the Fire-Drakes (3 segments)
    2. The people and Denizens of Middle-Earth
    3. Realms of the Third Age: From Beorn’s house to Lake-Town
    4. The music of The Hobbit
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the second chapter in Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. To sum up my feelings on the film both in its original form as well as this new Extended Edition, it would be fair to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, reveling in its epic scope, familiarity and Peter Jackson’s flair for storytelling. The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug Extended Edition comes to Blu-ray featuring superlative and faithfully rendered high definition audio/video in both 3D and 2D flavors and a bountiful supplemental set that will give fans their fill. Warner Brothers Home Entertainment has delivered a terrific Blu-ray offering that delivers an enriching home theater experience. I look forward to the next installment The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies due to hit theaters in December.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I think one of the things that needs to be fixed is for studios to start releasing theatrical and extended version at the same time or only release the theatrical version with those deleted scenes.

Sony XBR55HX929 / LG OLED55C6P / Sony XBR-65X930E
Denon x4000 / PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200 / OPPO UDP-203
Roku 3 / Roku Ultra / WD TV Live /Chromecast / Fire TV stick
Speakers - SVS Ultra Bookshelf / DT PM1000 / PC2000 / Sony HTNT5
Sub - Power Sound Audio S1500

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-24-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: No need to quote the entire review.
post #3 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Can't you post without quoting the entire review? Geez....
thehun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Pre-ordered it as soon as it became available. Super excited about it!
post #5 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'm a sucker for all things Middle Earth.....can't wait!
xvfx likes this.
post #6 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Another cash grab by the studio. This is why I will wait for all the movies to be released and get the "Super Awesome Extended Edition Box Set"
Phrehdd likes this.

OLED is a game changer.
post #7 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
Great review Ralph, thanks! I never ended up checking out the TE as I somehow forgot about it so looking forward to picking this up as I really enjoyed the film when I saw it at the theater.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Another cash grab by the studio. This is why I will wait for all the movies to be released and get the "Super Awesome Extended Edition Box Set"
Amen. I can't tell you how many 5th Element titles I've picked up over the years. DVD, Superbit, BR, Directors Cut, Collector Tin, Super Extended Edition, etc.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #9 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Another cash grab by the studio
I for one am happy that Jackson was able to complete the additional scenes and release an extended version. Adding 30 minutes or more to the film isn't a cash grab. The extended versions of second and third LOTR were excellent and I won't watch the theatrical versions any more.
Taranteacher, Luis5150 and xvfx like this.
post #10 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4721 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
been holding out on buying any of these Hobbit movies on Blu-ray until 2015 when the Extended Edition Trilogy box-set is released...sounds like the extended versions aren't as substantial in content or quality as the LOTR movies but that's to be expected...I'm surprised Peter Jackson was able to get 3.5 movies out of the book to begin with
post #11 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
anyone complaining about too many editions should really know better. From EVERY LOTR franchise movie produced by Peter Jackson there comes first the Theatrical Edition. Followed by the extended just before the release of the new movie in the theatre.

This has been the case since 2002 when the first edition of Fellowship of the ring was released on dvd. frankly anyone now still complaining simply doesnt understand how this works. By this way, people complaining that the movie is too long buy just the theatrical editions. and fans still extended (or both .

people still complaining maybe also complain that 2001 a space oddysey is about space, or that Kenneth Brannagh's version of Hamlet has too many words. tjeez, people.
ch1sox likes this.
post #12 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Great news, Ralph! Although, owning the 3D EE of The Hobbit Pt 1, it was expected this installment would be just as gorgeous! I've also been holding back till this Ed was out and cannot wait, unfortunately here in Mexico this won't be available till Dec 5 it seems...
post #13 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
Amen. I can't tell you how many 5th Element titles I've picked up over the years. DVD, Superbit, BR, Directors Cut, Collector Tin, Super Extended Edition, etc.
It's one thing picking up multiple copies of a single movie, but with a trilogy you're immediately getting into hundreds of dollars. Wish I could return my copy of the first Hobbit movie and re purchase it with the extended edition. Fifth Element is a great movie btw, one of my favorites.

OLED is a game changer.
post #14 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
I for one am happy that Jackson was able to complete the additional scenes and release an extended version. Adding 30 minutes or more to the film isn't a cash grab. The extended versions of second and third LOTR were excellent and I won't watch the theatrical versions any more.
I don't disagree that the extra footage is a bad thing, I just wish I would have been warned first. So I could have held off on purchasing the standard edition of the first movie.

OLED is a game changer.
post #15 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The Smaug scenes are awesome demo material. The video and the audio are so well done on top of the scenes being so engaging. I would have been a bit more generous with the audio score, although it isn't over the top on low-end bass, so I can see where a cut may have been deserved. However, the detail and clarity are just awesome to me. Smaug's voice is stellar.

Ralph,

If you could pick one for each category, what are your go to reference disks for audio, video, and combo audio/video?

Ben
post #16 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Atmos encoding?

From what I can tell, no Atmos encoding? Anyone know anything contrary? If so, I will just wait till the next "remastered" extended, box-set, holiday edition, collectors edition with special Map of Middle Earth, Collectors edition with free Frodo ring, 8 disc box set edition......
stef2 likes this.
post #17 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
From what I can tell, no Atmos encoding? Anyone know anything contrary? If so, I will just wait till the next "remastered" extended, box-set, holiday edition, collectors edition with special Map of Middle Earth, Collectors edition with free Frodo ring, 8 disc box set edition......
obvious troll is obvious.
post #18 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Peter Jackson has finally reached Michael Bay's status of master slockmister - as we say in Texas - he is so low he can slither under a rattlesnake with his hat on!
post #19 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
releasing over 12 hours of bonus features (including the commentary) makes this not just a money grab.
post #20 of 61 Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
releasing over 12 hours of bonus features (including the commentary) makes this not just a money grab.
Why not? The complaint is; why couldn't the studio include the extended edition upon initial release? It's because the studios are capitalists before all else. They know people will run out and buy the initial release as we have no patience nowadays (remember when it took 6 months plus for a movie to go from the theater to DVD?), and will buy a dumbed down version, only to re purchase it a few months later when they re release it with the extras.

Who can blame them. We have created the monster after all.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #21 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Peter Jackson has finally reached Michael Bay's status of master slockmister - as we say in Texas - he is so low he can slither under a rattlesnake with his hat on!
have you got any proof of backing up that claim or, oh wait you were just trolling.
post #22 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Why not? The complaint is; why couldn't the studio include the extended edition upon initial release? It's because the studios are capitalists before all else. They know people will run out and buy the initial release as we have no patience nowadays (remember when it took 6 months plus for a movie to go from the theater to DVD?), and will buy a dumbed down version, only to re purchase it a few months later when they re release it with the extras.

Who can blame them. We have created the monster after all.
because you had this info the extended version was going to be released later. you know this since 2002, when the first LOTR movie was released on dvd. Frankly the LOTR franchise is pretty laid back in his edition. Now if you look at Star Wars franchise, thats pretty clear cash grab, for every release.
post #23 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
because you had this info the extended version was going to be released later. you know this since 2002, when the first LOTR movie was released on dvd. Frankly the LOTR franchise is pretty laid back in his edition. Now if you look at Star Wars franchise, thats pretty clear cash grab, for every release.
You're missing the point. We all know how the LOTR releases go. We also know that they could release the extended edition initially. They don't because they know people will double/triple dip for new material or bundled editions. How is this not a cash grab? Just because we're all aware doesn't make it not so.

Like I said; we created the monster. If everyone chose to bypass the initial releases and only purchased the full content versions, the studios would be forced to kick them out upon initial release. We won't though, so they will keep on lining their pockets, laughing all the way to the bank.

post #24 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You're missing the point. We all know how the LOTR releases go. We also know that they could release the extended edition initially. They don't because they know people will double/triple dip for new material or bundled editions. How is this not a cash grab? Just because we're all aware doesn't make it not so.

Like I said; we created the monster. If everyone chose to bypass the initial releases and only purchased the full content versions, the studios would be forced to kick them out upon initial release. We won't though, so they will keep on lining their pockets, laughing all the way to the bank.
Lot of people are quite happy with just the theatrical version, actually quite a bunch of them dont even know about an extended edition. This extended edition its here for just the fans. For all the others the theatrical (or the version thats on netflix) is quite enough. Fans (like me) just wait for the extended edition, they dont care of the theatrical version, because its already material they already seen.
post #25 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
Lot of people are quite happy with just the theatrical version, actually quite a bunch of them dont even know about an extended edition. This extended edition its here for just the fans. For all the others the theatrical (or the version thats on netflix) is quite enough. Fans (like me) just wait for the extended edition, they dont care of the theatrical version, because its already material they already seen.
I would think anyone buying the LOTR would be a fan and would want all the content. It's a specific genre, that I can't see everyone wanting to see. I'm not going to sit through a 3 hr movie just because. JMO.

I'll digress, as we've derailed this thread enough, lol. My parting sentiments; I can't wait to pick up the extended edition.

post #26 of 61 Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
I'm going to pick this up as well. Thanks for review Ralph

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #27 of 61 Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Is the picture quality of this 3D Extended Edition better than the 3D Theatrical version (minus 25 minutes)?
About the sound quality; any improvement here over the other?
post #28 of 61 Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Is the picture quality of this 3D Extended Edition better than the 3D Theatrical version (minus 25 minutes)?
About the sound quality; any improvement here over the other?
You must have missed this quote from Ralph's review........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

* My comments here will be the same as my 3D review of The Desolation of Smaug as the presentations are identical. *

* My comments here regarding the audio mix will be the same as my review of The Desolation of Smaug as the presentations are identical. *
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 61 Old 10-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked: 3687
the less of this guy, the better...

I mostly enjoyed the second movie, after not enjoying the first hobbit movie --- but still the bird crap wizard almost single handedly ruins the movie for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigh.JPG
Views:	2252
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	332610  

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #30 of 61 Old 10-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
You must have missed this quote from Ralph's review........
Yes, I did miss that part; thank you. ...And I did look for it; but not hard enough.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page