Step Up All In (Blu-ray) Official AVSforum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By Aras_Volodka

post #1 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Step Up All In (Blu-ray) Official AVSforum Review

Check out our review of the next exciting chapter of the international phenomenon, as “Step Up” all-stars from previous installments come together in glittering Las Vegas, battling for a victory that could define their dreams and their careers.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD Atmos Mix (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core), Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Briana Evigan, Ryan Guzman, Misha Gabriel, Izabella Miko, Alyson Stoner, Adan Sevani
Directed by: Trish Sie
Music by: Jeff Cardoni
Written by: John Swetnam
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 4, 2014

"Every step has led to this"

My Take:

Step Up All In is the fifth installment in the Step Up film franchise and brings together many of the familiar faces from previous Step Up films. The plot here revolves around Sean and his dance crew “The Mob” who after having found some success is now struggling in Los Angeles and going to audition after audition with no offers coming and the rent overdue. Sean’s crew opts to head back to Miami while Sean makes the decision to stay in the hopes of something panning out. He turns to his old friend and fellow dancer Moose who is now working as an engineer and settled into a life with his girlfriend Camille. Moose hooks Sean up with a maintenance man job at this grandparents dance studio.

Soon after Sean learns of a VH-1 sponsored Las Vegas based dance competition called The Vortex wherein the winner will receive a three year contract to perform at Caesar’s Palace. In need of a new crew Sean convinces Moose to join him. Moose turns to Andie, a former dancer now working at a movie studio as a wardrobe mistress. Once Andie is onboard she helps them assemble the remaining members of what will become their LMNTRIX dance crew. After rehearsing and putting together an audition video they are accepted into the competition where they find themselves pitted not only against dance crews from around the country but against some old friends and enemies. For Sean this competition is not just about winning, it’s personal…

If you’ve seen any of the Step Up films than you have more or less seen Step Up All In. I wouldn’t say that any of them are necessarily bad or good. The formula is a basic narrative derived from predominantly shallow characters set against paint by the numbers plot points usually involving light romance/drama with the primary element designed to showcase the dance numbers. All IN is essentially the same and like its predecessors excels during the interwoven set pieces that feature the dance crews strutting their stuff, either facing off, individually or during rehearsal.

I had no real problem becoming involved in Step Up All In. I got a kick out of the opening segment which takes place at an audition and features a bit of levity blended with a sort of introduction to the film’s central theme of dance which is definitely the star of the show. Later in the film there’s also a cute little duet set to an old Bobby Brown ditty that for me was one of the film’s highlights. Things get a little sketchy when the cast is required to act but even then it’s tolerable as there is nothing that calls for the kind of interplay that extends beyond the film’s thematic tone.

At the end of the day Step Up All In does a decent job of blending its shorthanded plot with the spectacle of its dance numbers. It’s far from high art filmmaking but it’s light, easy to watch and for fans of the franchise falls in line with what you’d expect.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some language and suggestive material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Step Up All In comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and a DOLBY TRUEHD ATMOS MIX (including the lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel core used during the evaluation, which has an average bitrate of 5.2 Mbps).

This high definition video presentation looked great and boasted a pleasing palette of colors with eye popping primaries that jumped off of the screen. Fleshtones had a vibrant and natural quality that enhanced the varying tonal differences among the members of the cast. Boldly applied contrast added pop to colors and dynamic highlights to bright exterior sequences without white washing them. Resolution was excellent as images had crisp definition, revealing subtle delineation, and discernible depth during wide angle pans. Blacks were strong and depth of field in shadows and low lighting was appreciable. Sharpness fluctuated during a handful of shots but otherwise remained stable. I didn’t notice any compression errors associated with the encoding and thought that this was a solid high definition video presentation from Lionsgate.

Step Up All In is the first home video release from Lionsgate Home Entertainment to include a DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack. This is exciting news for home theater fans that have been waiting to see what Dolby Atmos has to offer in the home environment. Unfortunately my system has not yet been upgraded for Atmos playback although I do plan on doing so later this year (I plan on upgrading to the Marantz AV8802 AVP). For now all I can attest to is the lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel core which played back without a hiccup.

The soundtrack delivers an exhilarating surround sound experience which is highlighted by the music/dance numbers which based on the subject, should be the focal point. Right from the opening DOLBY ATMOS trailer I got a sense that there was going to be more to this presentation than one might think. This is a well-crafted soundtrack that exudes the purity and emotion of the central theme as the entire surround platform is used to engaging effect. The mix utilizes the rear channels to deliver rainfalls of ambience incorporated with discretely placed sounds in a seamless array that pan front to back and side to side. Probably the best example of this occurs in chapter 6 during the filming of the audition video the dance crew makes for the Vortex dance competition. It is set in a sort of Frankenstein like laboratory and along with the hip hop music accompaniment features bolts of electricity that travel toward the camera into the room and move around the soundstage. The effect, utilizing the 7.1 channel platform is impressive, I have to imagine that with the object based DOLBY ATMOS mix it’s even more enveloping. The film’s roots in 3D are obvious as there are several sequences that feature objects that are thrown at or move toward the screen that coincide with the soundtrack to good effect.

During quieter sequences the front three channels carry the bulk of the audio with the surrounds providing ambience that bridges the gap between the front and rear sound fields. Dialogue is clear but not always supremely intelligible which occasionally required a quick rewind some of this is owed to poor diction and some to the lack of prioritization but neither proved overtly problematic. The hip hop music is the center piece of the soundtrack and is presented via a spatially wide soundstage. Keyboards sound full bodied with smooth tonality and no signs of brittle or edgy highs. The bass drum supplies a tight, punchy low end that resonates nicely. The mix creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that the audible elements inherent in the recording can be realized. The result is an entertaining aural experience that is satisfying, involving and most importantly, fun to listen to.

* Keep an eye out for future coverage from AVS on this DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack.*

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) All in with the Crew – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Dance Breakdown: Final state – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) Clap, Stomp, Slide: The sounds of battle – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) Ryan’s favorite dance scenes with optional audio commentary
  • (HD) The Vortex Dance Index: Highlights each dance sequence in the film – 34 minutes
  • (HD) Deleted scenes – 9 minutes
  • Audio Commentary with director Trish Sie and actress Briana Evigan
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Step Up All In is the fifth installment in the Step Up film franchise and brings together many of the familiar faces from previous Step Up films. Like its predecessors it offers flair over substance that makes for a light, easily digestible film that is mildly entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray featuring solid high definition video quality mated with an enthusiast friendly DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack that contains a top notch Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel core and a decent supplemental package. Step Up All In doesn’t come recommended for everyone but it contains enough toe tapping dance numbers and a strong enough technical rating on Blu-ray to qualify it for a place at the top of the rental queue of home theater enthusiasts looking to have a little fun.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-31-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hey Ralph you have typo should be Briana Evigan not Brian.

Love your reviews!

Rew
post #3 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Any word on a 3d release? I see the UK will be getting a 3d release, but can't seem to find anything about it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
Any word on a 3d release? I see the UK will be getting a 3d release, but can't seem to find anything about it here.
there is no 3D release in the U.S.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 487
This comment sorta made me laugh, "Step Up All In is the first home video release from Lionsgate Home Entertainment to include a DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack. This is exciting news for home theater fans" yeah I dont think this movie is screaming ATMOS or rather one that had any true advantage to being in ATMOS... still waiting for a good Atmos movie to come out, so far its not been promising... *sigh*

Oh Im sure this is a great movie, Im not trying to be down on it at all, just not my kind of movie and not one that I think would have made that much of a difference if it had an atmos track or not...
Ralph Potts and Aras_Volodka like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #6 of 21 Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
This comment sorta made me laugh, "Step Up All In is the first home video release from Lionsgate Home Entertainment to include a DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack. This is exciting news for home theater fans" yeah I dont think this movie is screaming ATMOS or rather one that had any true advantage to being in ATMOS... still waiting for a good Atmos movie to come out, so far its not been promising... *sigh*

Oh Im sure this is a great movie, Im not trying to be down on it at all, just not my kind of movie and not one that I think would have made that much of a difference if it had an atmos track or not...
Greetings,

I can certainly understand your feelings. You have kind of taken my comment about the exciting news for home theater fans out of context as it was meant to be from a general perspective as studios are beginning to support Dolby Atmos. It was not so much aimed at this particular release.

Hang in there Daniel. There is more to come...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 21 Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Um....yeah...nah. Definitely not the type of movie I'd watch in atmos.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #8 of 21 Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I can certainly understand your feelings. You have kind of taken my comment about the exciting news for home theater fans out of context as it was meant to be from a general perspective as studios are beginning to support Dolby Atmos. It was not so much aimed at this particular release.

Hang in there Daniel. There is more to come...

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Um....yeah...nah. Definitely not the type of movie I'd watch in atmos.
I feel the same way being an early Atmos adopter and a film snob... but lets not hold it against Ralph. This is a great service he does for us... watching films we would never to show how good the audio visual presentation of these films are. I've bought films based on Ralph's recommendations... some of which are outside of my comfort zone. Based on my experience the reviews are solid. But yes this film, among many, are odd choices for Atmos candidacy. Nothing could be worse than Dolphin Tale 2... I actually went to the theater just to hear it's Atmos sound track... which apparently wasn't working at that Atmos equipped theater
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
no 3d for home is fail in my opinion as these movies really shine in 3d.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
we are really doing some serious variety on the movie reviews around here...

Blazar!
post #11 of 21 Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
we are really doing some serious variety on the movie reviews around here...
Greetings,

We try...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 21 Old 11-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I dislike this movie, but the ATMOS soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. Truly show that Van Baelen's statement of "Dolby Atmos can't do music" is baseless.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #13 of 21 Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4620 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
I dislike this movie, but the ATMOS soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. Truly show that Van Baelen's statement of "Dolby Atmos can't do music" is baseless.
I think he means live, time-aligned music recordings (such as a symphony orchestra captured with a mic tree), not synthetic studio mixes of separate elements, which are assembled in much the same way as a movie soundtrack.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 11-13-2014 at 09:21 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
there is no 3D release in the U.S.
I hate how 3D is being killed in the USA. Step Up Revolution was a really fun movie and I thought the 3D was pretty good.

Now granted, I never would have bought the movie if it wasn't for it costing 10 bucks, but hey, I still stand by it.

I have the sequences over and over for demo purposes, and it really was a simple entertaining movie. I have no idea about this new movie, but I am sure it will deliver in some fashion.

However, without 3D, it is a no sale from me. Guess I have to learn to start importing.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
I hate how 3D is being killed in the USA. Step Up Revolution was a really fun movie and I thought the 3D was pretty good.

Now granted, I never would have bought the movie if it wasn't for it costing 10 bucks, but hey, I still stand by it.

I have the sequences over and over for demo purposes, and it really was a simple entertaining movie. I have no idea about this new movie, but I am sure it will deliver in some fashion.

However, without 3D, it is a no sale from me. Guess I have to learn to start importing.
from what contacts I have within disney corp and Lionsgate and a few other studios is that 3D is selling abysmally within the U.S. and it's really not financially worth doing them for the most part
post #16 of 21 Old 12-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
from what contacts I have within disney corp and Lionsgate and a few other studios is that 3D is selling abysmally within the U.S. and it's really not financially worth doing them for the most part
Its like chicken and egg. It can't take off without support, but support won't come till it sells through the roof.

Most viewers didn't have a chance because while 3D tv's were being pushed bluray was truly getting traction. To much crap for people to keep track of. The push was silly...that and I think people are morons. lol
post #17 of 21 Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Ralph,

Did you ever tested the atmos track of this movie?

Thanks!

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Ralph,

Did you ever tested the atmos track of this movie?

Thanks!
Greetings,

Chris, I haven't gotten around to replaying the whole movie, only a few scenes.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Chris, I haven't gotten around to replaying the whole movie, only a few scenes.

Regards,
Ralph,

Is the Atmos track demo-worthy?

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Ralph,

Is the Atmos track demo-worthy?
Greetings,

Compared to the better demo-worthy Atmos tracks available, I would say not really. It has its moments but I am not certain I would blind buy it based upon its worthiness as a demonstration of Atmos. If you like the film and or genre and plan on picking it up then it does have something to offer as the Atmos mix isn't bad.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got it! Thanks Ralph!