Tammy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Tammy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

After losing her job and learning that her husband has been unfaithful, a woman hits the road with her profane, hard-drinking grandmother.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 97/100 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates, Sandra Oh, Gary Cole, Allison Janney, Toni Collette, Nat Faxon
Directed by: Ben Falcone
Music by: Michael Andrews
Written by: Melissa McCarthy & Ben Falcone
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 11, 2014

"She hit the road. The road hit back"

My Take:

Tammy (Melissa McCarthy) is having a bad day. She's totaled her clunker car, gotten fired from her thankless job at a greasy burger joint and, instead of finding comfort at home, finds her husband getting comfortable with the neighbor in her own house. It's time to take her boom box and book it. The bad news is she's broke and without wheels. The worse news is her grandma, Pearl (Susan Sarandon), is her only option-with a car, cash, and an itch to see Niagara Falls. Not exactly the escape Tammy had in mind. But on the road, with grandma riding shot gun, it may be just what Tammy needs.

It would be fair to say that I like Melissa McCarthy. She has excellent comedic timing, can be physically funny and in general plays very well opposite lead actors. Her movies for me have been hit or miss and the trailer for Tammy didn’t leave me with a burning desire to see it. When it showed up on my doorstep for review I lowered expectations and made every attempt to view it with an open mind. Co-written by McCarthy and her husband Ben Falcone, who also had a small part and directed the film, Tammy is a road trip chick flick that if you’ve seen her films, features McCarthy’s familiar brand of comedy which showcases her chuckle inducing physicality and wisecracking delivery.

The situational humor relies too heavily on uncouth trappings that lean more toward nonsensical than engagingly quirky with a helping of humorous charm. When it wants to reach out and warm the heart it misses the mark. Having said that there are a few enjoyable moments nearly all of which involve McCarthy by herself, plying us with her zaniness. The cast is loaded with talent, most of whom are only onscreen for tiny bits. Sarandon and McCarthy get the lion’s share but frankly I didn’t find their chemistry to be workable enough to carry the film. The script sort of moves in and around romance, comedy and drama but rarely feels like anything more than a series of laughs scattered between them. At the end of the day Tammy doesn’t make the grade except for diehard Melissa McCarthy fans who can look past its numerous shortcomings in favor of waiting for her to unleash a barrage of quips as only she can.

Warner Brothers Home Entertainment has included both the Theatrical version and a three minute longer Extended Cut, the latter of which I viewed during my evaluation.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language including sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Tammy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is a solid video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, boldly applied contrast, well balanced colors, and appreciable dimension. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting is estimable which enhances depth. Images can appear a little on occasion but overall are predominantly and perfectly suited for the source material. I didn’t see any obvious signs of video artifacts or extraneous noise.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t noteworthy but bass response works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level detail associated with the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Tammy’s road trip checklist – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) 4 deleted scenes
  • (HD)Gag reel – 3 minutes
  • (HD) Fun Extras (3 segments totaling 6 minutes):
    1. Poom-O-Rama
    2. Wave-O-Rama
    3. Mindless Chat-O-Rama
  • Theatrical and Extended cut of Tammy
  • Bonus DVD
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Co-Written by star Melissa McCarthy Tammy is an uneven and sporadically funny comedy that features a terrific but largely unused cast. I have to believe that with a better script this one could have turned out to be something memorable rather than a subpar effort. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video quality mated with fair supplemental package that fans will enjoy. Tammy isn’t a bad film, it’s just not a very good one. My advice would be to catch it when it comes to cable TV or if you happen to be a big Melissa McCarthy fan that hasn’t seen it, toss it in your rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-09-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Thanks for the review Ralph I'll check it out

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page