This is Where I Leave You (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Cal1981
  • 1 Post By JWhip
  • 1 Post By Phrehdd
  • 1 Post By Briguy65
  • 1 Post By Summa
  • 1 Post By Summa

post #1 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
This is Where I Leave You (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of this five star comedy/drama about an atypical dysfunctional family that proves it would be a mistake thinking people are the sum total of what you see.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver, Corey Stoll, Rose Byrne, Kathryn Hahn, Timothy Olyphant, Dax Shepard, Connie Britton, Debra Monk, Jane Fonda, Ben Schwartz
Directed by: Shawn Levy
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Jonathan Tropper
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 16, 2014

"Welcome home. Get uncomfortable"

My Take:

When their father passes away, four grown siblings, bruised and banged up by their respective adult lives, are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens. Confronting their history and the frayed states of their relationships among the people who know and love them best, they ultimately reconnect in hysterical and emotionally affecting ways amid the chaos, humor, heartache and redemption that only families can provide—driving us insane even as they remind us of our truest, and often best, selves.

Based on the novel of the same name by Jonathan Trooper (who also penned the screenplay) This is where I leave you is a marvelous comedy/drama that is rich in context and draws heavily from themes of familial dysfunction, coming of age (better late than never!), and the reexamination of self after years in the “dark”. I generally don’t go into detailed specifics about the plot but wanted to include a bit more in this case.

The film’s primary character is Judd Altman who up until recently saw his life through rose colored glasses, happy in his work, in love with his wife and having achieved the life he always sought. That is until he walked in on his wife Jen having sex in his bed with his boss, Wade. Now separated, unemployed, and living in a basement apartment, he receives the news that his father, who has been ill, has died and left a final request that his entire family sit seven days of Shiva. This will require Judd and his siblings to return to the suburban home where they grew up and spend seven days not only together but with their mother, whose candor can sometimes lead to THE most uncomfortable of moments. This sets the stage for the film’s foundation upon which everything rests.

During the week of mourning, a variety of familial dynamics play out. There is the relationship between Judd and his oldest brother Paul which is dominated by old resentment which is exacerbated by the awkwardness stemming from the fact that Paul's wife is Judd's old girlfriend. Judd's sister Wendy and her businessman husband Barry are unhappily married with two little one’s in tow, one of which is learning the pros of using a potty. During the visit Wendy has the opportunity to reconnect with her past love, Horry, whom she hasn’t seen since shortly after a devastating car accident left him with a brain injury. Then there’s Phillip, the baby of the family and free spirited screw-up, who brings home his much older and well to do psychiatrist girlfriend whom he wants to be faithful to be faithful to but….

The last piece of the Altman family pie is the family matriarch Hillary, a psychiatrist who when her kids were growing up wrote a bestselling book about parenting in which she shared specifics about their various ups, downs, ins, outs and awkward pubescent moments. Her infamous directness adds another layer of tension to the familial powder keg.

Aside from the five Altmans there is Annie Altman, Paul’s wife, who has been struggling to get pregnant for the last two years. Penny Moore, a local girl and old flame of Judd’s that he now sees in a different light. Horry Callen, Wendy’s high school love, who can’t live alone because of the brain injury he suffered when the two of them were involved in that near fatal car accident all those years ago. Linda Callen, Horry’s mother and best friend to Hillary whose support has seen Hillary through difficult times. Jen Altman, Judd’s cheating wife who desperately seeks to connect with Judd, perhaps to explain her actions. And Wade, Judd’s ex-boss, well he just plain isn’t worth synopsizing.

Each of these characters has an integral part to play in the Altman family soap opera as they struggle to contend with the loss of the father they loved while bearing the weight of relationships that have not born the fruit they envisioned. Hope is not lost though, as this week together will show them that amidst the chaos of familial dysfunction, love has a way of unlocking the best in them all.

I saw This is where I leave you with my wife when it first came to theaters and we absolutely loved it. These are wonderfully fleshed out characters set to a pitch perfect tempo about family, relationships, and all that can sometimes lie in between. The script is top notch and intelligently blends its elements of drama and comedy without wasting a single moment. I love the fact that you laugh when you’re supposed to as well as when you shouldn’t. There is a humanity and warmth that where appropriate tugs at your heart strings.

I am not certain that these are characters and situations that I would necessarily categorize as genuine but there is no denying that you connect with, like and root for them. They are fallible and portrayed as such which is an important aspect of the story. Little Cole with his potty is THE one character in this story that has it all figured out. Each time he makes his appearance it rings a resounding and grounding bell that interjects perfectly but generally goes unnoticed.

The cast is simply marvelous. I have been a Jason Bateman fan for years and find his everyman charisma and spot on comedic delivery to be fun to watch. Corey Stoll is quickly rising to become another personal favorite as is Rose Byrne who has to be one of the busiest actress in Hollywood. Jane Fonda really shines in this role and gives of herself naturally. Tina fey shares excellent chemistry with Jason Bateman and holds her own quite well otherwise.

I really like Timothy Olyphant and was sort of disappointed the first time I saw the film as I felt the role he played was a minor one that didn’t take advantage of his talents. This second time through my opinion has changed. Small role yes, but he steals every scene he is in and does so in a subtle manner that could be easily overlooked. Lastly, I have to give props to Adam Driver who stands out among the many strong performances in this film. I was completely taken with his portrayal of Philip, the character who truly is the “glue” that binds the Altman family, they just don’t know it.

This is where I leave you is among my favorite films of 2014. It is a smart, touching, funny and superbly enacted/directed comedy drama that has a refreshing edge that makes it a perfect choice for fans of the genre. It held up extremely well under this second viewing and is the type of film that I look forward to revisiting from time to time. ‘Nuff said…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, sexual content and some drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

This is where I leave you comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting is estimable which enhances depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, and perfectly suited for the source material. I didn’t see any distracting signs of video artifacts or extraneous noise.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t noteworthy but the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Points of departure (4 segments):
    1. The brother-sister bond – 5 minutes
    2. The Matriarch – 4 minutes
    3. Sibling rivals – 5 minutes
    4. Choreographed chaos – 5 minutes
  • (HD) The Gospel according to Rabbi Boner – 6 minutes
  • (HD) 6 deleted/extended scenes
  • The Narrative Voice: A commentary with Shawn Levy & Jonathan Tropper
  • The Narrative Voice: A discussion with Shawn Levy & Jonathan Tropper
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of screenwriter Jonathan Tropper This is where I leave you is among my favorite films of 2014. It is a smart, touching, funny and superbly enacted/directed comedy drama that has a refreshing edge that makes it a perfect choice for fans of the genre. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound quality and a worthwhile supplemental package that includes behind the scenes footage and insights from the filmmakers and cast. This is where I leave you comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Great cast. Looking forward to it!

Thanks, Ralph.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #3 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
I couldn't agree more Ralph. I loved this movie and found myself frequently laughing out loud as the lunacy unfolded. This is a brilliant ensemble cast headed by Jane Fonda who is a freak of nature. I also share your enthusiasm for Corey Stoll. Even though he had done TV work, I first really took note of him in Season 1 of House of Cards. His portrayal of the deeply flawed and troubled Congressman Peter Russo was outstanding. Connie Britton looked great in this film. She gets more beautiful as she gets older. Anyone looking to, at very least, rent or stream a first class comedy with a tender undertone, should consider this one.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I couldn't agree more Ralph. I loved this movie and found myself frequently laughing out loud as the lunacy unfolded. This is a brilliant ensemble cast headed by Jane Fonda who is a freak of nature. I also share your enthusiasm for Corey Stoll. Even though he had done TV work, I first really took note of him in Season 1 of House of Cards. His portrayal of the deeply flawed and troubled Congressman Peter Russo was outstanding. Connie Britton looked great in this film. She gets more beautiful as she gets older. Anyone looking to, at very least, rent or stream a first class comedy with a tender undertone, should consider this one.
Greetings,

I agree Cal and you're right about Jane Fonda. She keeps herself so fit and for someone of her age looks incredible. I also first took note of Corey Stoll on S1 of House of Cards and enjoyed his performance. I am currently watching Season 1 of The Strain (review is forthcoming) and he stars in that as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 745
My wife and I saw this one in the theater and laughed out loud so many times, maybe because I have some people like those depicted in the film in my extended family, unfortunately.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #6 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
A rare 5 star rating from you on the film itself?
It has my attention and we'll watch it soon.
Thanks for the review.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-09-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I agree Cal and you're right about Jane Fonda. She keeps herself so fit and for someone of her age looks incredible. I also first took note of Corey Stoll on S1 of House of Cards and enjoyed his performance. I am currently watching Season 1 of The Strain (review is forthcoming) and he stars in that as well.
Fonda looks good in this film but in The Newsroom, on HBO, she looks astounding and delivered one of the greatest running monologues that I've ever heard (and which, I believe got her an Emmy nomination). It's the one where Jerry Dantana, a discredited producer, is threatening to sue her for wrongful termination. It's on the Tube.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, this is one of those films (out of respect for those that served) that I'll skip.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-10-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
jason bateman and adam driver (phenomenal in Girls) are two of my favorites.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ralph, why do you think the critics were pretty hard on this one?

Ben
post #11 of 20 Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Adam Driver's line to his nephew ,sharing his thoughts on potty training, was hilarious.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
Greetings,

No idea Ben. It's an entertaining and well done film.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 20 Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great review Mr. Potts. Definitely on my short list to watch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Fonda looks good in this film but in The Newsroom, on HBO, she looks astounding and delivered one of the greatest running monologues that I've ever heard (and which, I believe got her an Emmy nomination). It's the one where Jerry Dantana, a discredited producer, is threatening to sue her for wrongful termination. It's on the Tube.
Thanks, you've just made my HBO Go useful again.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
I skipped this in the theaters, even though I am a fan of the cast (HUGE Tina Fey fan)....the reviews were lack luster. Reading your review Ralph has gotten me excited about seeing this at home. Thanks for the heads up.

Ron
post #15 of 20 Old 12-13-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I skipped this in the theaters, even though I am a fan of the cast (HUGE Tina Fey fan)....the reviews were lack luster. Reading your review Ralph has gotten me excited about seeing this at home. Thanks for the heads up.

Ron
Greetings,

Sure thing Ron. I hope you enjoy it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 20 Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Very entertaining movie. I loved Jason Bateman and Tina Fey in this movie, among others. I also liked Jane Fonda's performance as well. I have no idea why the critics were harsh about it because I found so much of it to be enjoyable and fun to watch.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-22-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
Too vulgar for most critics and some forced scenes in order to make the movie come together. I thought the movie was pretty good. Worth a rental for sure. Not to own IMO.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #18 of 20 Old 12-25-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
This is one of those films that are interesting to me, because it gives me yet another chance to see how strong the correlation is between Ralph's takes and my own. This isn't a film that was on my radar, and as others have pointed out, the reivews have been good, not great. So when I saw Ralph gave it a 5/5, it really piqued my interest. I'm on record many times as saying that even when I'm not all that active on AVS in general, I still come to see what Ralph is up to with his reivews.

So did I end up agreeing with the King on this one? Actually...yes, I sure did. Not only did I love all but one member of the ensemble cast (not a Jane Fonda fan at all), I found the film funny, engaging, emotional, and nostalgic. I've really enjoyed Jason Bateman's films over the past several years and I'm glad he's moved higher up the food chain in terms of his projects. It was also my first look at Adam Driver, who I took interest in as the new Star Wars baddie, so it was nice to get a feel for his acting chops. Overall my lady friend and I gave this one a huge thumbs up and certainly were as impressed as the King was.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-26-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
This is one of those films that are interesting to me, because it gives me yet another chance to see how strong the correlation is between Ralph's takes and my own. This isn't a film that was on my radar, and as others have pointed out, the reivews have been good, not great. So when I saw Ralph gave it a 5/5, it really piqued my interest. I'm on record many times as saying that even when I'm not all that active on AVS in general, I still come to see what Ralph is up to with his reivews.

So did I end up agreeing with the King on this one? Actually...yes, I sure did. Not only did I love all but one member of the ensemble cast (not a Jane Fonda fan at all), I found the film funny, engaging, emotional, and nostalgic. I've really enjoyed Jason Bateman's films over the past several years and I'm glad he's moved higher up the food chain in terms of his projects. It was also my first look at Adam Driver, who I took interest in as the new Star Wars baddie, so it was nice to get a feel for his acting chops. Overall my lady friend and I gave this one a huge thumbs up and certainly were as impressed as the King was.
Greetings,

Outstanding news AJ. Thanks so much for your post and support over the years. I am always glad to see a post from you whether we agree or not. Of course it's all the better when we do..

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #20 of 20 Old 12-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Outstanding news AJ. Thanks so much for your post and support over the years. I am always glad to see a post from you whether we agree or not. Of course it's all the better when we do..

Happy Holidays!

Regards,
We agree far more than we differ, that's for sure.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page