Lucy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

post #1 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 5982
Lucy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of this sci-fi action thriller about a woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior with abilities evolved beyond human understanding.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal – 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Choi Min-Sik, Amr Waked
Written & Directed by: Luc Besson
Music by: Eric Serra
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 20, 2015

"She has the power…"

My Take:

From the visionary director of La Femme Nikita and The Professional and starring Scarlett Johansson and Academy Award® winner Morgan Freeman comes an action-thriller about a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal who turns the tables on her captors. Accidentally exposed to a dangerous new drug Lucy’s body is altered and undergoes a metamorphosis that slowly begins to unlock her brain’s potential. The average person uses just 10% of their brain’s capacity. At 20% Lucy became capable of telekinesis, pain suppression and a seemingly infinite level of knowledge gleaned in mere seconds from the internet. As her evolution continues her powers grow with each increase toward her ability to use more of her brain’s capacity. Approaching 100% of using her brain’s capacity Lucy has evolved beyond human comprehension. You don’t want to stand in her way…

Written and directed by Luc Besson this is a fun sci-fi action thriller built around a strong female character, territory not unfamiliar to Besson. As with most of Besson’s films there are engaging visual elements blended within the narrative framework. The storyline is simple in tone while incorporating complex ideas that combine fact and fiction in a sort of mind bending mix that proves pretty entertaining. Lucy isn’t up to the level of Luc Besson’s best efforts but his signature style and flair for exuberance carry it through. When you combine that with a charismatic and complimentary performance by Scarlett Johansson (with an honorable mention nod going to the always reliable Morgan Freeman) genre fans are in for a treat. I saw it earlier this year in the theater with my wife and we both enjoyed it. This revisit proved no less entertaining and perhaps even a bit more fun thanks to a great presentation on Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, disturbing images, and sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Lucy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Universal that looks terrific in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The extensive palette of secondary hues featured in the story appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds. The CGI based and green screen photography softened some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity remained unaffected.

This Lossless DTS-HD MA surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film’s elements. This is a well-balanced and fairly active soundtrack that augments the dynamic impact associated with the films action and music score. The surround channels are appropriately engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience. Dynamic range is extended and accents the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were contained in the background. The mix facilitates natural integration of the front and rear channels which creates a stable and well-proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich bass that has excellent palpability and room energizing extension.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) *Exclusive* The evolution of Lucy – 16 minute featurette
  • (HD) Cerebral capacity – 10 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Lucy is a fast paced and entertaining sci-fi action thriller that comes from the mind of writer/director Luc Besson. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring reference quality high definition audio/video and a middling supplemental package that includes insights from the cast and writer/director Besson. Lucy may not be up to the level of Besson’s best work but it proves lots of fun nonetheless and is worth checking out on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Sweet! Tuesday is going to be fun!

Thanks for the review!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Yup, I've been waiting for this one also, although I do wish they would have given us a 7.1 master mix, but I'll probably buy it again once I can find a copy with the Auro mix anyway.
Ralph Potts likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Very nice review. I enjoyed this as well. I am looking forward to seeing and listening to this on my system. I also like the fact that it was mixed with pro Focal speakers and I used Focal speakers(except for my sub) in my system.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #5 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
May I ask how many times you watch the same movie to get all the ratings?
post #6 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Started off so good then jumped the shark and nose dived into pure crappola.

Oh well at least I got a good 30 minutes or so out of it.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #7 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Thanks for the great review Ralph! I have been looking forward to this one and I enjoyed your breakdown.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Good review.

Every Besson movie is a must have for us. I am a Besson fan since 'Subway'. As you've said, strong female protagonists are a signature for his movies. We saw this one also sometime in the summer and liked it. Great to see that the video and sound are very good on BD.

Cheers
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #9 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
May I ask how many times you watch the same movie to get all the ratings?
Greetings,

Full run through is only once unless there are circumstances that require otherwise. My default viewing in most cases will be using Dolby Surround (using all of the speakers in my system). After that I will watch select scenes using straight audio decode in order to check out the soundtrack in its pure form.

Regards,
hughh, thxman and darthray like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Very nice review. I enjoyed this as well. I am looking forward to seeing and listening to this on my system. I also like the fact that it was mixed with pro Focal speakers and I used Focal speakers(except for my sub) in my system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Good review.

Every Besson movie is a must have for us. I am a Besson fan since 'Subway'. As you've said, strong female protagonists are a signature for his movies. We saw this one also sometime in the summer and liked it. Great to see that the video and sound are very good on BD.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Thanks for the great review Ralph! I have been looking forward to this one and I enjoyed your breakdown.
Greetings,

You're welcome! Be sure to post back once you've seen it at home. I would like to hear your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Care to expand on this without giving any spoilers? I totally missed this movie until I saw an add for the DVD release just last night. I thought to myself, "That could be good...or it could be dreadfully awful."

-Suntan
post #12 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Full run through is only once unless there are circumstances that require otherwise. My default viewing in most cases will be using Dolby Surround (using all of the speakers in my system). After that I will watch select scenes using straight audio decode in order to check out the soundtrack in its pure form.
Thanks for adding that perspective. I like movies, but that is too much for me. I find I melt into the movie and if you ask me aftewards I problably would provide poor feedback and that is with D-Box too (yes you can forget D-Box is there because it can/does blend nice). Thanks for "taking one for the team" for each review.
post #13 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Care to expand on this without giving any spoilers? I totally missed this movie until I saw an add for the DVD release just last night. I thought to myself, "That could be good...or it could be dreadfully awful."

-Suntan
I have not seen the movie, but I have heard often that most that like or don't like the movie tend to agree the ending could be much better.
post #14 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 161
reminded me of Akira
post #15 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Thanks Ralph for the review.

I am a sucker for Luc Besson (ever since the Professional). I am really looking forward to this blind buy....I hate that my freaking projector is in the shop (DOA). I refuse to watch any movies on the small LCD TV. It will have to wait till the JVC comes back home.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This could have been a stinker if it drug itself out. Luckily it didn't. Fast pace, to the point, and done. No over-thinking it, to the point. ScarJo going from human to almost robot like was (whether some want to admit it for this movie) good acting. No emotion whatsoever. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/5 And thanks for keeping it short.

Coming Soon~ new gear~ NX-7, 125" 2:35 Cinescope Screen~ 9.2 Atmos System featuring Martin Logan speakers
post #17 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Thanks Ralph for the review.

I am a sucker for Luc Besson (ever since the Professional). I am really looking forward to this blind buy....I hate that my freaking projector is in the shop (DOA). I refuse to watch any movies on the small LCD TV. It will have to wait till the JVC comes back home.
Greetings,

Sorry to hear your projector is down Ron. Hopefully you will be up and running shortly..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

That's a lot more than I got out of it.

Possibly the worst movie I saw last year. The audience was laughing at how bad it was when the credits rolled.
Kini62 likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #19 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sorry to hear your projector is down Ron. Hopefully you will be up and running shortly..

Regards,

Yes, me too. LOVE the JVC projector and the image it puts out. My son and I were going to watch a movie last week and the projector appeared as if there was no power coming to it. No indicator lights on in front...complete DOA. Tried diff outlets, power cables etc. Nothing worked. So I sent it in last week. It's still being evaluated at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a completely different unit....something tells me it's down for the count.

Ron

We also have "What we do in the Shadows" a vampire comedy from New Zealand....from the same creative team as Flight of the Concords (but no Brett). It came this week while we are down.

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Cool.special effects sprinkled over a script written in dog excrement and acting so god awful, I had to double check if I was actually watching Sweet Home Alabama by mistake. I wasn't. Stay away. Or go ahead and watch it. I'll be the guy waiting to say, "I told you so."
bulls likes this.

Last edited by morbidcorpse; 01-16-2015 at 07:14 PM.
post #21 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I'll be picking this one up...been waiting for it. Hope I can comprehend it when she's using 100% of her brain power.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #22 of 118 Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Blind Buy!!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 AM

Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Cool.special effects sprinkled over a script written in dog excrement and acting so god awful, I had to double check if I was actually watching Sweet Home Alabama by mistake. I wasn't. Stay away. Or go ahead and watch it. I'll be the guy waiting to say, "I told you so."
I couldn'nt agree with you more.This movie is total garbage !!
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #24 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 06:00 AM

Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I'll be picking this one up...been waiting for it. Hope I can comprehend it when she's using 100% of her brain power.

I would rent this first
post #25 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 333
This looks like a rental for me for sure. Ralph I'm curious to know how you feel the pure dts track measures up to the upscaled version you listened to as well.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #26 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
This looks like a rental for me for sure. Ralph I'm curious to know how you feel the pure dts track measures up to the upscaled version you listened to as well.

Greetings,

It measures up just fine. Both are impressive and make for a fun home theater ride..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
I'm buying this Blu-ray already, ...Tuesday.
/// Just no way that I'm going to pass on a Luc Besson's flick, and not adding up to my Luc Besson Blu-ray movie collection.

* Some things in life you just owe to live by; and this, is only one of them.
The next one is Dolby Atmos and dts:x and Auro-3D.

Another one is to be true to yourself, always and forever.

________

Thx Ralph for a good review.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-17-2015 at 02:14 PM.
post #28 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 9056 Post(s)
Liked: 15957
I loved Lucy
Ralph Potts, GOLFVUE3 and pault1 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #29 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
I thought it was mildly entertaining .

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #30 of 118 Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The BluRay presentation may have been top notch, but the movie itself was crapola. A USB key to hold all her knowledge - yeah, not so much.
morbidcorpse and CalJake like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page