Fury (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #91 of 133 Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thumbs up

Watched Fury the other night and was impressed. Good story, good acting by all and great AQ and PQ.
darthray and Matt2026 like this.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just watched it and I thought it was well done but not anything I would need to watch again. Like some have said, the movie centered around these 5 characters virtually the entire movie yet I still felt there wasnt any depth to them and felt no connection. Also having Norman virtually transform from a scared inexperienced typist to a hardened and decisive soldier in a matter of a couple of days was a little hard to believe. Pitt's character also seemed a little superhuman in the climax.

The picture and sound was on par to what Ralph said. Nice dynamic range punctuated with really tight bass and some brief moments where it hit pretty deep but not enough for my liking during the battle scenes to consider the soundtrack demo material for us bassheads.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 02-08-2015 at 12:42 AM.
post #93 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
I enjoyed the film quite a bit .WEll actd. Good story.

I think the review was right on except, unlike the vast majority of films, I noticed some exaggerated dialog sibilants on occasion when actors were yelling.

But overall, solid review and soundtrack!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 6416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I enjoyed the film quite a bit .WEll actd. Good story.

I think the review was right on except, unlike the vast majority of films, I noticed some exaggerated dialog sibilants on occasion when actors were yelling.

But overall, solid review and soundtrack!
Greetings,

Thanks as always Jeff. I didn't note any problematic dialog reproduction but plan on revisiting this one and will see what turns up..

Regards,
thebland likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #95 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks as always Jeff. I didn't note any problematic dialog reproduction but plan on revisiting this one and will see what turns up..

Regards,
Thanks, Ralph.

It's there.. I am just a persnickety sort about dialog recording. I would likely grade most movies a 3-4 out of 5 on dialog but I am just a nut about vocal recordings and Foley effects. 1-2 two overly emphasized sibilants in a film would likely knock my rating down a one half to a whole point. Sibilants are natural but not so much so when caused by a hot mic or too close of a mic. It's a pet peeve of mine. When my reviews were stickied here in the at AVS many years back, it was also something I tried to emphasize in my own reviews. Your reviews, on the whole, are far more detailed. You do an excellent nice job and are my go to reviewer.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #96 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Excellent review Ralph. I watched the movie at home on my 100" projector/screen setup. My girlfriend was out of the house and I was able to crank up the sound and rattle the rafters!

I thought the soundtrack was excellent. The super low LFE effects were spectacular. The low rumble of the tanks and battle scenes really immersed you into the film.

I thought the acting was superb. You really felt the closeness of the tank crew and their daily fight for survival and trying to make sense out of the brutality of war. With every new mission, you could feel the anxiety building as each soldier wondered if their luck was going to run out.

Thoroughly engrossing and well worth watching. A good movie draws you in and while entertaining you, it also makes you think deeper about the subject matter and enables you to feel the emotions of the characters and time period.

I was moved by Fury and believe it's one of the better movies I have seen in a long time.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 02-08-2015 at 09:41 PM.
post #97 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
Just watched it and I thought it was well done but not anything I would need to watch again. Like some have said, the movie centered around these 5 characters virtually the entire movie yet I still felt there wasnt any depth to them and felt no connection. Also having Norman virtually transform from a scared inexperienced typist to a hardened and decisive soldier in a matter of a couple of days was a little hard to believe. Pitt's character also seemed a little superhuman in the climax.
I just watched it the other day and feel the same way. Good movie, but nothing epic.

Audio and video were both great, however. It takes a lot to get my wife impressed with anything home theater related, and at a few times during the movie, even she was impressed.
post #98 of 133 Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Yeah crazy sound effects... it gave my subs and dynamic range a workout.

Blazar!
post #99 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Watched it tonight. The character development was pretty weak, IMHO, but the LFE effects with the tanks were pretty spectacular. Overall a decent film, but rather meh after watching John Wick on Blu the night before.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #100 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Watched it tonight. The character development was pretty weak, IMHO, but the LFE effects with the tanks were pretty spectacular. Overall a decent film, but rather meh after watching John Wick on Blu the night before.
John Wick was just o.k. Zero character development - standard "shoot em up" and the heart string pull of killing a puppy to support the weak plot.

Absolutely nothing like the Matrix series which are really Keanu Reeves best movies. IMHO.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #101 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Thanks, Ralph.

It's there.. I am just a persnickety sort about dialog recording. I would likely grade most movies a 3-4 out of 5 on dialog but I am just a nut about vocal recordings and Foley effects. 1-2 two overly emphasized sibilants in a film would likely knock my rating down a one half to a whole point. Sibilants are natural but not so much so when caused by a hot mic or too close of a mic. It's a pet peeve of mine. When my reviews were stickied here in the at AVS many years back, it was also something I tried to emphasize in my own reviews. Your reviews, on the whole, are far more detailed. You do an excellent nice job and are my go to reviewer.
Greetings,

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #102 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 885
On the subject of rape during war... (I know this is a bit heavy for AVSforum)

Imagine all the wars and all the various instances of rape throughout human history... Imagine how much mixing of populations occurred indirectly as a result of it.

The strange thing about genetics is, that had this not occurred, those same populations may be at war today... There is nothing like seeing eye to eye with another population when that population is "your people"....

I am not certainly not condoning this process, but it certainly has occurred. I just wonder what the long term consequences of it are. Certainly a mixing of the warring populations would occur over time. The traits and features start to blend away the differences between groups over the centuries.

They certainly decided to highlight this to a degree in "Fury". I'm not sure why they portrayed this particular issue in this particular tank movie. It did seem like an odd interlude in the movie. They made it seem like the young girl suddenly fell in love with the piano playing American.

Blazar!
post #103 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i totally agree! great movie
post #104 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This was a great watch with my father-in-law who loves war movies. Fury was much better than expected. In contrast to some of the comments above, I liked the character development. I felt like I knew the characters and understood how they got to where they were during the movie. I find myself still thinking about the movie, and more importantly, the big picture. I find it humbling and disturbing how much so many people have sacrificed in wars - and unfortunately, people still want history to repeat.

We did a double feature of Fury and True Romance from 1993. I'd never seen True Romance, but love Terrentino - it held up well over time, has an unbelievable cast, decent PQ, and is recommended.

Ben

Last edited by Ben Withrow; 02-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.
post #105 of 133 Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
True about wars; worst thing for humanity. ...Very uncivilized. ...The leaders who start them; no choice, they have to be stopped, or wars would be worst than what they are, or lesser in some cases.

Adolf Hitler was a bad ass, a very sick dude; no one could have let him reach his evil goal, just no way. ...'Fury'. ...Our planet is a beautiful garden on one hand, and on the other ....
/// 'The Imitation Game'.

_______

* 'True Romance' is a cool flick ; directed by Tony Scott (R.I.P. Tony), and written by Quentin Tarantino.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-14-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #106 of 133 Old 02-10-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Gonna give it a shot this weekend, sounds good.
post #107 of 133 Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thought the sound for this Blu was amazing...movie was good, obviously a fictional tale of heroism but well made none the less. Worth a watch on Redbox at least.
post #108 of 133 Old 02-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I felt like there were extreme black crush issues, especially during the end fight scene. Did others feel this way or is something failing in my home projector setup? Just bought got this BluRay this evening.

My Home Theater
post #109 of 133 Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
I felt like there were extreme black crush issues, especially during the end fight scene. Did others feel this way or is something failing in my home projector setup? Just bought got this BluRay this evening.
Greetings,

As I mentioned in my review this film requires proper black level adjustment of your display. The many scenes shot in the low lit environs of the tank's interior will result in a crushing effect if your brightness setting is set too low. Double check it using a proper calibration tool and watch that sequence again.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #110 of 133 Old 02-15-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
You are correct. There are black crush issues. Nothing to do with your projector or calibration.
post #111 of 133 Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Strange, I had to turn my brightness down to avoid the extreme dark scene issues I was seeing.

I turned the brightness up a bit to show what I was experiencing. Never seen it on any other movie before.. Almost like the black areas turned brighter than expected.

This is on my Sony HW50ES on Carada 118 inch screen in perfectly black room. Under his neck the black area was a bright weird area -- in some scenes I could almost see varying degrees of 8 bit color from the good ol' days. It was very strange.

My Home Theater
post #112 of 133 Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Fury does not get released till next week in the United Kingdom. Are the discs shipped on the USS Lollipop?
post #113 of 133 Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the great review, Ralph!

Just watched Fury on blu-ray and your review seems to be spot on, at least from my perspective. I really liked the way movie kept viewers feeling those same cramped conditions that the occupants themselves were dealing with inside the tank. The audio of course was really nice on this one, and all the different gun and grenade blasts had some real punch behind them. No troublesome problems here with video issues, so I didn't have to make any adjustments. I thought the entire tank crew did a great job acting out their roles. This one will spin again on my player in a week, or two, before it gets put away for a while.

Thanks again, Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
post #114 of 133 Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
a great movie, liked this a lot.
But I missed 7.1 audio on this one, the movie is created for surround back channels.
post #115 of 133 Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar1 View Post
But I missed 7.1 audio on this one, the movie is created for surround back channels.
Yep, even as good as the 5.1 audio track was, I agree that Fury would have been better served with 7.1 audio.

oz
post #116 of 133 Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Yep, even as good as the 5.1 audio track was, I agree that Fury would have been better served with 7.1 audio.

Agree, it should have been 7.1 instead of 5.1

That said, this is one of those 5.1 that was so well done that I did look at my Marantz to make sure it was 5.1 and not 7.1

If they can do that quality over 5.1, imagine would it could have been with 7.1

Ray
post #117 of 133 Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Great movie all around, I rank it up there with Saving Private Ryan! Which is another favorite war movie of mine...
post #118 of 133 Old 03-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Which audio mode best?

I have a Atmos AVR Denon x4100w...

The only options I have for sound modes are:

DTS-HD MSTR
DTS-HD + DOLBY SURROUND
DTS-HD MSTR A-DSX(Height)
DSX:NEO CINEMA (HEIGHT)

Which mode would be best?

I have 5.1 set up with front height speakers for 7.1(height) or 5.1.2 atmos. I saw one post saying 'dsu' but I've never seen that option.
post #119 of 133 Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I have a Atmos AVR Denon x4100w...

The only options I have for sound modes are:

DTS-HD MSTR
DTS-HD + DOLBY SURROUND
DTS-HD MSTR A-DSX(Height)
DSX:NEO CINEMA (HEIGHT)

Which mode would be best?

I have 5.1 set up with front height speakers for 7.1(height) or 5.1.2 atmos. I saw one post saying 'dsu' but I've never seen that option.
DSU*

Look for it; it's somewhere...check your online manual...must be under Audio Listening mode or some' similar.

* It's called Dolby Surround

Last edited by NorthSky; 03-16-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: * & color
post #120 of 133 Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
DSU*

Look for it; it's somewhere...check your online manual...must be under Audio Listening mode or some' similar.

* It's called Dolby Surround
Hi Northsky! Another thread, someone said 'DSU' is just a term people on AVS forums here specifically have coined. He said its just Dolby Surround. As you can see, my list of options had 'DTS-HD + DOLBY SURROUND' - can someone else confirm that is what you are looking for on Denons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page