No Tears for the Dead (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By Ishniknork
  • 6 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By robnix

post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 6106
No Tears for the Dead (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of this Korean action drama from Lee Jeong-beom, the director of “The man from nowhere". A hit man traumatized from accidentally killing a young girl during a job is given the mission to eliminate her mother, and begins the ultimate fight to save her life.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: CJ Entertainment - 2014
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 116 minutes
Genre: Action/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Korean DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English
Starring: Jang Dong-Gun, Kim Min-Hee, Brian Tee, Kim Hie-Won, Kim Jun-Sung
Written & Directed by: Lee Jeong-beom
Music by: Choy Young-Rock
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 17, 2015

"His first mistake is his last chance for redemption"

My Take:

Abandoned by his mother shortly after immigrating to America, Gon is raised by the mafia and grows up to become a cold-blooded hit man. Though usually flawless in taking out his targets, Gon makes a terrible mistake of killing an innocent young girl. A flood of guilt takes over his life and the situation becomes worse when his boss assigns him the job of killing the young girl’s mother. Gon’s new target, Mogyeong, is a risk manager at an investment firm and has buried herself in work to bury her grief. She is completely unaware of her role at the heart of a dangerous conspiracy. Finally, she meets the man who wants to tell her the truth behind the death of her child.

Written & Directed by Lee Jeong-beom (The Man from Nowhere) No Tears for the Dead takes a fresh look at a relationship between a killer and his target, a woman who he has come to care for. As with The Man from Nowhere this film, born from the image of a killer apologizing to his victim, combines action and drama. The script is briskly paced and a bit uneven as character development is backed in rather than being established up front. It works, sort of, but leaves you with the feeling that you are being brought up to speed rather than deciding for yourself whether to care for the dilemma faced by the two primary characters in Gon and Mogyeong. I never truly felt any viable connection, romantically or otherwise, between them (which in retrospect better served the film) but found reward in the correlation between Gon’s struggles with his youth/past and need to redeem himself. The remaining character base is weak at best but provides a cache of villains with enough depth to support the thematic tone of the story.

The action isn’t constantly on display but when things ramp up it’s entertaining and nicely choreographed. From a production standpoint I found little to complain about and enjoyed that aspect of the film. Derived as a character studyNo tears for the dead isn’t as well rounded as “The man from nowhere” as it interjects a bit too much sentimentality/melodrama combined with an uneven narrative. Despite its shortcomings I found it to be entertaining in a similar way. When all was said and done it proved to be a decent way to spend an evening.

Parental Guide:

The film contains action violence, gore, language and thematic material that would garner an R rating.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

No Tears for the Dead comes to Blu-ray Disc from CJ Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering that looks terrific in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors range from warm, vivid and inviting, to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds. I didn’t see any obvious signs of video related artifacts as the video had a sparkling and generally pleasing quality.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA surround mix comes in both Korean and English dubbed flavors (I opted for the former) and delivers the soundtrack’s elements with aplomb. The higher fidelity inherent in this lossless audio presentation is readily apparent. Dynamic range is noteworthy which renders the film’s action based sequences with defining impact and energy. Dialogue is presented with crystal clear intonation, full bodied texture, and deep room penetration. Imaging across the front soundstage is excellent as sounds are integrated with precision.

This can be an involving surround mix that intelligently utilizes the entire system where appropriate. During the opening segment in the night club as well as the head on engagement in the finale the listening position is actively engaged by a mixture of spatial and discretely placed sound effects that place the listener in the heart of the action. Low frequency detail is clean, well-articulated and deep as points of contact resonate with palpable impact. This isn’t a bombastic or overly aggressive soundtrack but its blend of intricate detail and room filling dynamics make for a rewarding home theater experience.

* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area.*

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) The making of No tears for the dead – 27 minute featurette
  • (HD) Deleted scenes – 6 minutes
  • (HD) Interview with Brian Tee – 2 minutes
  • (HD) Character Spots: Gon/Mogyeong
  • (HD) Behind the scenes – 3 minute featurette
  • (HD) Action highlights – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) Trailers

Final Thoughts:

Written & Directed by Lee Jeong-beom (The Man from Nowhere) No Tears for the Dead is an effective albeit uneven action drama that would have benefited from a better script. It comes to Blu-ray from CJ Entertainment featuring excellent technical merits mated with a solid supplement package. No Tears for the Dead isn’t as rewarding as “The Man from Nowhere” but it’s still worth checking out on Blu-ray so feel free to toss it in your rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd, Nexgen76 and discone like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-09-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Did I read your review right?

"The high resolution DTS-HD MA surround mix comes in both Korean and English dubbed flavors (I opted for the former)"

You watch-it in English?
If so, a must buy, if not it will be a pass since my wife is not found of sub-titles.

For a few lines like in movies like John Wicks, it is all right/and work for the movie.
But not for full movie.

Ray
Phrehdd and Ishniknork like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This might work for middle-of-the-week, nothing on TV night as long as it is in English.
Like darthray I can't stand to "read" a movie. Kinda makes it hard for me to enjoy the film.

Thanks Ralph.
darthray likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Did I read your review right?

"The high resolution DTS-HD MA surround mix comes in both Korean and English dubbed flavors (I opted for the former)"

You watch-it in English?
If so, a must buy, if not it will be a pass since my wife is not found of sub-titles.

For a few lines like in movies like John Wicks, it is all right/and work for the movie.
But not for full movie.

Ray
Greetings,

Ray, I watched the film using the Korean language track (the film's native language option). I cannot stand listening to dubbed vocal tracks and prefer the use of subtitles.

So to answer your question, no, you misunderstood the quoted comment (above) from my review..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2015, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 804
this looks great - will check out in future -

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #6 of 15 Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Ray, I watched the film using the Korean language track (the film's native language option). I cannot stand listening to dubbed vocal tracks and prefer the use of subtitles.

So to answer your question, no, you misunderstood the quoted comment (above) from my review..

Regards,

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I am not keen on dubbed either, but some can be done very good.
But most movie is like the below member, it make it hard to enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
This might work for middle-of-the-week, nothing on TV night as long as it is in English.
Like darthray I can't stand to "read" a movie. Kinda makes it hard for me to enjoy the film.

Thanks Ralph.

Ray
post #7 of 15 Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I wish i could get my hands on this tonight i loved The Man from Nowhere..... Only way i can watch this is with subs, No dub for me i hate dub.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #8 of 15 Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Thanks Ralph for another review of a movie I'll add to my queue!

I seen The Man From Nowhere back in 2011 and gave it 4 stars on Netflix. This was long before I even heard of AVS. Did you review that film?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Thanks Ralph for another review of a movie I'll add to my queue!

I seen The Man From Nowhere back in 2011 and gave it 4 stars on Netflix. This was long before I even heard of AVS. Did you review that film?
Greetings,

You're welcome discone. I hope you enjoy this one as well.

As for The Man from Nowhere, yes I did review it. Here you go:

The Man from Nowhere Official AVSForum Blu-ray Review

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 15 Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Greetings,

You're welcome discone. I hope you enjoy this one as well.

As for The Man from Nowhere, yes I did review it. Here you go:

The Man from Nowhere Official AVSForum Blu-ray Review

Regards,
Thanks for the link!

I tried adding No Tears For The Dead to my Netflix queue and it is not there yet. I'll just have to make a note to try again at a later date.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you for the review!

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-12-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: No need to quote the entire review
post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
Looking forward to this one, and will definitely watch the Korean Language version. I find that dubbed versions never seem to properly convey the emotional intent from the original dialogue.
Ralph Potts and Djoel like this.

Looky here!
post #13 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Looking forward to this one, and will definitely watch the Korean Language version. I find that dubbed versions never seem to properly convey the emotional intent from the original dialogue.
Greetings,

Agreed. Hope you enjoy it robnix..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Watched subs most of my life, especially I'm already over the hill. Definitely enjoyed the Man from Nowhere. will catch this one sometimes.

Thanks.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Ralph, great review. I loved The Man from Nowhere and definitely need to check this out. Quick question though.. you say in the review Region Code A, B, C. Is the disc all region? Only reason I ask is that I live in the UK and would look to import the US copy! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page