Unbroken (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Unbroken (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this epic drama that follows the incredible true life story of Olympian and war hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini (Jack O'Connell) who, along with two other crewmen, survived on a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash in WWII – only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 138 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jack O’Connell, Domhnall Gleeson, Garrett Hedlund, Miyavi, Finn Wittrock, Jai Courtney, Luke Treadaway, John Magaro, Ross Anderson
Directed by: Angelina Jolie
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Joel Cohen, Ethan Cohen, Richard LaGravenese, William Nicholson based on the book by Laura Hillenbrand
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 24, 2015

"Survival. Resilience. Redemption"

My Take:

Based on the book of the same name by Laura Hillenbrand Unbroken chronicles the incredible true story of Louie Zamperini, a working class kid from Torrance, California, who transformed himself from juvenile delinquent to a 1936 Olympian by channeling his defiant energy into a shocking talent for running. Louie’s unfaltering determination and ferocious will then carried him through monumental tribulations during his military service and he became a true American hero.

Told from the perspective of the man who lived it Unbroken is a powerful dramatic film that engages at nearly every turn. Opening with Louie as a WWII bombardier on a perilous mission with his crew in the Pacific theater, the film moves back and forth between that and the poignant moments of his life beginning with his childhood. Coming from an Italian immigrant family Louie had his share of troubles as a youngster. It wasn’t until his older brother noticed his prowess as a speedster, a skill honed by brushes with bullies and the law, that he found his true calling. Louie was a born runner and athlete, which is something that would take him to new heights.

When the U.S. entered WWII Louie joined up, not knowing that his life would never be the same again. He was strong of spirit and not easily shaken even in the face of insurmountable peril. Louie’s fortitude would be put to the test when he and several of his crew members survived a devastating crippled airplane crash in the middle of the Pacific that would leave them stranded, starving and on the brink for 47 days. As luck would have it they were rescued. Unfortunately the luck wasn’t good as their rescuers were the Japanese Navy. Louie now became a prisoner of war. He would undergo the ultimate test of inner strength driven by the will to survive in the face of sheer adversity at the hands of a despicable war criminal bent on shattering his will.

Unbroken is an inspirational biopic film that tells Louie Zamperini’s incredible and true story which depicts triumph over tribulation and the resilient power of the indomitable human spirit. The segmented script provides a solid foundation for its protagonist as we follow his story via snippets of his childhood and young adult life as an athlete. The heart of the narrative begins with the struggle for survival after the plane crash, through the suffered atrocities during Louie’s interment as a Japanese prisoner of war. The film is stirring and at times disturbing as the depiction of the disdain and brutal tactics used by the Japanese are portrayed. Underneath it is a rousing sense of pride as Louie refuses to completely succumb despite the grave nature of his plight.

I generally tend to favor biopic films especially those that depict themes surrounding historic events and/or the extremity of the human condition. Unbroken doesn’t break the mold from a conceptual standpoint but that doesn’t make it any less impactful. I watched it with my son and my wife and we were all caught up in its emotion. The cast, primarily Jack O’Connell, gave strong performances which were aptly served by Angelina Jolie’s direction and the excellent cinematography by Roger Deakins.

Unbroken tells a story that many would have otherwise never known about. It may not be an original film but is strikes all the right chords and introduces us to an American hero that never gave up and never surrendered.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for war violence including intense sequences of brutality, and for brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Unbroken comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition rendering from Universal that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective during wide angle camera pans. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the daytime ocean vistas and small California town look terrific. The use of CGI occasionally softened the image but this didn’t infringe upon overall fidelity which I found to be high. Framed at 2.40:1 images onscreen have excellent depth and a stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Unbroken looks great on Blu-ray.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (core) soundtrack (this is a first on Blu-ray from Universal I believe) has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Alexandre Desplat’s music score, coupled with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sometimes active surround mix. The additional rear channels aren’t always in play however when applied the detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. Just listen during the opening sequence as the exterior and interior sounds of the airplane battle sweep through the room. The same is true during the storm at sea as the power of the wind and crashing waves are appreciably involving. The LFE channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the sounds of battle. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it complimented the film’s thematic tone.

This is Universal Studios first use of Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray and the results are quite good. In listening to the surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospheric sounds, music and discrete effects. This is done to excellent effect and creates an engaging level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. The opening segment features a group of WWII bombers coming into view from the distance and flying toward and past the camera. The effect is quite good as the aircrafts start at the front of the soundstage and fly off overhead to the right and rear. Shortly after the sounds of battle fill the room as Japanese Zeros swoop in and around with machine gun fire from both them and the allied guns aboard the aircraft taking center stage. The various sounds emanating from above and around effectively place you aboard plane. This is done to similar effect later in the film during the crash and storm at sea sequences. Subtly works just as nicely as seen in the brief segment when soft rain begins to fall from above on the stranded flyers as they lay in their inflatable life raft. The music score is spread throughout the soundstage which adds an enriching element to the presentation as a whole. While this isn’t what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix it adds an engaging and complimentary element that truly enhanced the film.

Bonus Features:
  • * Exclusive(HD) 10 deleted scenes
  • * Exclusive (HD) Inside Unbroken (3 featurettes totaling 26 minutes):
    1. Fifty years in the making
    2. The fight of the storyteller
    3. Hardiest generation
  • * Exclusive(HD) Cast/Crew concert featuring Miyavi – 7 minutes
  • * Exclusive(HD) Prison Camp Theater: Cinderella – 6 minute featturette
  • The Real Zamperini – 29 minute documentary
  • * Exclusive(HD) Louis’ path to forgiveness – 6 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book of the same name by Laura Hillenbrand Unbroken is an inspirational biopic film that tells Louie Zamperini’s incredible and true story which depicts triumph over tribulation and the resilient power of the indomitable human spirit. It comes to Blu-ray featuring terrific Dolby Atmos/TrueHD multi-channel surround sound, excellent high definition video and a solid supplemental offering that includes lots of worthwhile exclusive content. I found Unbroken to be both a rewarding film and home theater experience. I recommend that you give it a spin on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
FerranGB, Squirrel!, RMK! and 2 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Lee Weber; 03-17-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Loved this movie, it was well directed and the acting was superb. It was inspirational and heart warming.
post #3 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Loved this movie, it was well directed and the acting was superb. It was inspirational and heart warming.
Greetings,

Glad to hear it MichelleP and welcome to AVS..

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Thanks... your reviews are always an enjoyable read. great news you enjoyed the Atmos Mix can't wait till my copy arrives
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #5 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Should be a good one by a good team; Jolie/Coen. ...Sure to get.

Ralph,

1. Coen ... "Cohen" (no "h")
2. [I]Unbroken]/I] ... Final Thoughts: (small correction ... Unbroken)

Best regards

Last edited by NorthSky; 03-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.
post #6 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Awesome, Im looking forward to adding this one to my ATMOS collection, might be my first really decent title lol ^_^
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #7 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Looking forward to seeing and contrasting how they handled the pow camp compared to railway man.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Looking forward to seeing and contrasting how they handled the pow camp compared to railway man.
Ralph,

Saw this in the theater, and agree with your review completely.
My only regret is having read the book first.
  • Movies with surround and ATMOS are great for impact.
  • However (for me); it seems books always tell a more complete story .
Thanks Again Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #9 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
My 8802 is in the lab for measurements and this shows up yesterday for review. It's going to be gathering dust until I get the 8002 back next week so I can listen to the Atmos track. You've definitely have me interested now Ralph!

BTW...I see that MichelleP is a ringer...you can't fool me, old man!
Ralph Potts and MichelleP like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #10 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
My 8802 is in the lab for measurements and this shows up yesterday for review. It's going to be gathering dust until I get the 8002 back next week so I can listen to the Atmos track. You've definitely have me interested now Ralph!

BTW...I see that MichelleP is a ringer...you can't fool me, old man!
Greetings,

Sorry your 8802 is temporarily out of service Dave. Mine arrived this morning and is up and running.

As for MichelleP, yeah, she is close to my heart but most definitely has her own opinions on the films that I review.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn, RMK! and MichelleP like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Thanks... your reviews are always an enjoyable read. great news you enjoyed the Atmos Mix can't wait till my copy arrives
Greetings,

Thanks so much for saying so bargervais. I hope you enjoy the Atmos mix as well..

Regards,
bargervais likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Great review Ralph, I too really liked the movie. It's inspirational and heartfelt, a true American hero.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #13 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Thanks for the review Ralph, very much appreciated !

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com
Home Theater: Marantz SR7010 7.2.4 - Emotiva XPA-5/Outlaw 770 - KEF Q Series 2017 Speakers - SVS PB2000 Subs - JVC DLA-X550R - Samsung UBD-K8500
Living Room: Denon S710W 5.2.1 - KEF/Polk Speakers/Sub - LG OLED65C7P - XBox One X
post #14 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
This may end up being one of my first Atmos discs. Too bad I'm waiting for a DTS:X equipped model before I can check it out in full Atmos.

Great review, Ralph!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #15 of 73 Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Like "The Railway Man" I was on the fence about this one and once again your review has convinced me to watch it. Now I'm sure I will like it just as much as the other one!

Thanks for the great review Ralph,
Ish

post #16 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I've wanted to give this a go but some of the plot outlines made it sound as though it could be overly preachy in quite the literal sense. Did you have that experience at all Ralph?

Thanks for the review!

post #17 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Unfortunately, the movie is just a shadow of the book.
post #18 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I've wanted to give this a go but some of the plot outlines made it sound as though it could be overly preachy in quite the literal sense. Did you have that experience at all Ralph?

Thanks for the review!
Greetings,

I never felt that way but can you expound upon what you mean by preachy?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I really enjoyed the book, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Pretty amazing story.
post #20 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Thanks for the review!
The book is definitely not preachy, it's a very detailed experience of his experience. It's worth a read.
post #21 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Red face

Yes, atmos mix can't wait!!! Thanks for the atmos reviews.Will you be revisting any atmos mixes you missed before your upgrade Ralph. Please do thanks Jim
post #22 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I never felt that way but can you expound upon what you mean by preachy?

Regards,
One of the outlines of the film talked about how it was the main characters faith and religion that got him through his imprisonment during WW2. I wasn't sure if that was more of a footnote about the character or a heavy part of the story.

post #23 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
One of the outlines of the film talked about how it was the main characters faith and religion that got him through his imprisonment during WW2. I wasn't sure if that was more of a footnote about the character or a heavy part of the story.
Greetings,

Definitely not..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Thanks for another great review Ralph. I did not see this movie in a theater but now I cannot wait to see it. But based upon the comments from others, I'll wait to read the book until after I have seen the BluRay movie.

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #25 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
Thanks Ralph for the review. Completely forgot it has an atmos soundtrack. For those interested, you can preorder the steel book edition (BB exclusive) for $19.99 and get 100 BB Bonus points for the pre-order.

Ron
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
"...but it strikes all the right chords and introduces us to an American hero that never gave up and never surrendered." Ralph's words here encapsulate what this movie was all about for me. Great review of a surprisingly very good movie. Louie was a "human" hero -- he stuck to his values and refused to sell out. Who could say he or she wouldn't have capitulated under similar circumstances? It was the short cafeteria scene that for me summarized who Louie really was -- it would have been so easy to have acquiesced and co-operated with the Japanese propaganda machine as a few other American servicemen had done to avoid the harsh reality of returning to the POW camp. Not Louie, he wouldn't compromise his values and take the easy way out -- he wouldn't and didn't succumb to the temptations on offer. This man was an exemplary human being as proven by his actions at the POW camp and following the war!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Thanks for another great review Ralph. I did not see this movie in a theater but now I cannot wait to see it. But based upon the comments from others, I'll wait to read the book until after I have seen the BluRay movie.

Cal68
Cal,
Good choice in movie first, book 2nd.
The movie will be quite the intro. to properly prepare you for the rest of this amazing real-life story - Enjoy!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #28 of 73 Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The wife and I read the book shortly after it came out. We saw it at the theater and were both very impressed with the film. While wishing for a little more depth in certain areas, it stayed true to the book.
Ralph Potts likes this.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #29 of 73 Old 03-19-2015, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Hmmm......... gotta check this out. Thanks for the review as always Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #30 of 73 Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 225
After reading the book, I can honestly say that Louie Z is one of my heroes. If the movie is half as good as the book, it will be well worth the time. And if so, it should have been an Oscar contender just based on the story alone. It is certainly a case of "truth being stranger than fiction". If Hollywood had just made up the story, you would not have believed that one person could have endured so much pain and horror.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page