Interstellar (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 349Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: florida
Posts: 1,199
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 241
we need someone else to confirm on this
mars5l is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
we need someone else to confirm on this
'Interstellar' streamed in 4K/3D ? ...I just want to buy the Blu-ray, right now. ...I'd paid forty bucks for that one. ...Before tax.
...Make that fifty bucks, with a DTS:X audio soundtrack.

* That would finally replace my John Wick's deep obsession.
NorthSky is offline  
post #273 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: florida
Posts: 1,199
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I watched it cranked up pretty loud tonight, made me impressed with my $100 book shelf speakers and $120 subwoofer.
mars5l is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al K View Post
Yes. I called Ultraflix and they didn't even know that they were simultaneously streaming a 3D version. It seems to me that the 3D version was just extra data that the didn't need to stream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Wow, quite amazing...for 'Interstellar' to be viewed/streamed in 3D. ...And in 4K too!?! ...Just WoW!

Next, dts:X
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
'Interstellar' streamed in 4K/3D ? ...I just want to buy the Blu-ray, right now. ...I'd paid forty bucks for that one. ...Before tax.
...Make that fifty bucks, with a DTS:X audio soundtrack.

* That would finally replace my John Wick's deep obsession.
I severely doubt there is any legit version of Interstellar in 3D. Nolan has a real dislike for 3D, which I remember reading about before the Dark Knight came out. It's discussed in several articles, this one references Interstellar in particular: http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-n...orked-3d-isnt/
I don't think anyone would come along any do a conversion off their own bat, given the effort to do so or the knowing they'd most like raise the ire of Nolan, directly interfering with his intent for the film. I wish Nolan's disdain for 3D would have been the case for mixed AR's instead frankly. I'd love this film in 3D as well..
OzHDHT is offline  
post #275 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Oh well, there goes my friend's copy - I bought the best buy edition just in case I couldn't find the Walmart version (with the intent of giving him that version should I get it).

Walmart Canada appears to be sold right out...
Worf is offline  
post #276 of 745 Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I severely doubt there is any legit version of Interstellar in 3D. Nolan has a real dislike for 3D, which I remember reading about before the Dark Knight came out. It's discussed in several articles, this one references Interstellar in particular: http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-n...orked-3d-isnt/
I don't think anyone would come along any do a conversion off their own bat, given the effort to do so or the knowing they'd most like raise the ire of Nolan, directly interfering with his intent for the film. I wish Nolan's disdain for 3D would have been the case for mixed AR's instead frankly. I'd love this film in 3D as well..
Believe it or not, there were talks of converting Inception into 3D and re-releasing it in theaters.

I don't think Nolan has a disdain for those who shoot in 3D, but he never will himself, mostly because it cramps what you can do creatively and within the scope of a shot but also because it can dictate the narrative/shot itself. I don't think he would be opposed to something like Inception getting a post-conversion, or Interstellar for that matter. I'm sure he appreciates how James Cameron was able to do it for Titanic and how Steven Speilberg was for Jurassic Park.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #277 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I severely doubt there is any legit version of Interstellar in 3D. Nolan has a real dislike for 3D, which I remember reading about before the Dark Knight came out. It's discussed in several articles, this one references Interstellar in particular: http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-n...orked-3d-isnt/
I don't think anyone would come along any do a conversion off their own bat, given the effort to do so or the knowing they'd most like raise the ire of Nolan, directly interfering with his intent for the film. I wish Nolan's disdain for 3D would have been the case for mixed AR's instead frankly. I'd love this film in 3D as well..
Believe it or not, there were talks of converting Inception into 3D and re-releasing it in theaters.

I don't think Nolan has a disdain for those who shoot in 3D, but he never will himself, mostly because it cramps what you can do creatively and within the scope of a shot but also because it can dictate the narrative/shot itself. I don't think he would be opposed to something like Inception getting a post-conversion, or Interstellar for that matter. I'm sure he appreciates how James Cameron was able to do it for Titanic and how Steven Speilberg was for Jurassic Park.

I didn't proport to say that Nolan had a dislike of 3D as used by any other film makers. He would though be able to have a direct say in how any of his films are treated after theatrical release. Sure you can speculate as to whether he'd be opposed to post conversion for say Inception, but it would be just that speculation till he weighs in on it. I don't know really how impressed he'd be with Jurassic or Titanic. I've got Jurassic 3D and while I love the idea, there's only so much you can achieve doing it in post conversion. Pretty much like a nicer version of built in conversion on good projectors.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #278 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Member
 
adun79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I don't find the daugther likeable either and the son was giving sparse airtime to really matter. The script gave us no reasons why Cooper should favor his daugther far more than his son. That's one reason I can't really relate to this movie. Wouldn't a hudsband and late wife angle work out better?

Really? The daughter was a (future) scientist, while the son was a farmer. Seemed pretty obvious to me
thehun likes this.
adun79 is offline  
post #279 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I didn't proport to say that Nolan had a dislike of 3D as used by any other film makers. He would though be able to have a direct say in how any of his films are treated after theatrical release. Sure you can speculate as to whether he'd be opposed to post conversion for say Inception, but it would be just that speculation till he weighs in on it. I don't know really how impressed he'd be with Jurassic or Titanic. I've got Jurassic 3D and while I love the idea, there's only so much you can achieve doing it in post conversion. Pretty much like a nicer version of built in conversion on good projectors.
I'll give you Jurassic Park, but I think Titanic is my favorite 3D film. It's just taken care of so well on it, and it's better than most 3D films because, just as I said before, 3D is the greatest afterthought of all of them. The awesome thing was him being able to go open matte with his original 2.35:1 film for the 3D representation.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #280 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I'd give Interstellar 7/10. My rating was a little less when I saw it in the theater; at home, some of the incompressible dialog was understandable.

I cannot see this close to raking as the greatest sci-fi film of all time, though pigeon-holing movies into a particular genre is fraught with inexactness for most films.

While there is a lot to appreciate about the film, and the topic being tackled, I find it at times somewhat sterile, and curiously lacking in mystery or awe for a topic so grand. Yes, I'm a father, but I did not find the early sepration scene deeply emotional; the climatic ending scene, where Cooper realizes how it all connects, was more effective for me.

Too often, much of the acting tone and character vocabulary is quite similar, creating a bit of monotonity, Ann Hathawy's performance grated me, and the whole Dr Mann "scene" was borderline laughable.

Technically, the dialog still was buried too much at times, and comparing it to 2001 as another film that eschewed the importance of dialog is not terribly valid. Interstellar is a dialog heavy film, and most of the plot moves on what is said. 2001 was void of dialog completely for much of it, and purposely banal in most cases where it existed. It was a much more of a visual film in regards to storytelling. In Michael Caine's final scene, his words are extremely difficult to understand, and several times during first-time viewing, guests would ask what someone said.

Not a huge fan of the robot design/mechanics and the approach to characterization, but that's minor...
Just watched it now and couldn't have said it better myself. Wasn't a big fan of Inception either and to me this was a space version of it. Nolan hits you over the head with the sentimentality to the point of enough already. We get it, love conquers all. Only problem is that it's hard to feel for Cooper when he left his family almost instantly to pilot the ship initially. I just found the love and family connection with the sci fi aspect rather ill fitting.

And the acting was pretty dodgy from almost everyone. Damon especially. McConaughy had some pretty cringeworthy scenes and Hathaway was her usual annoying and shrieky self. It didn't help the dialogue was rather juvenile at times. It seemed like Nolan was so preoccupied with the visuals and the style of the movie, that he forgot to tell the actors how he wanted them to deliver the dialogue. They all seemed to wing it.

And Nolan sure seems to like bending images upside down. I thought some scenes from Inception got spliced into this movie at the end. And with all the references to gravity in this movie, why was there gravity on the ship as they were travelling in space. They were floating around at the beginning but magically restored gravity the rest of the movie. Was that explained and I somehow missed it?

The PQ was excellent but I didn't find the SQ a bassfest that some people have been saying. It was recorded kinda low for a Nolan movie, dialogue was hard to decipher at times and not only because of excess noise around it (the Caine hospital scene easily the worst considering the exchange was a key point in the movie). The score was not overwhelming and was probably the quietest Nolan movie he's made which was expected when the majority of it was space travelling. They were some great demo scenes but it wasn't an all out aural assault. Compared to the throbbing soundtrack of Inception or TDKR, it was meek which was actually a welcome change. For Nolan movies if I play it -12 from reference my ears are ringing. I put this movie at -6 and found it comfortable to listen even during the chaotic scenes.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 04-03-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #281 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
You might want to emphasise your viewing experience as being with the Samsung 16:9 plasma in your signature when making a general statement about liking the variable AR used in the film. I can assure you, and I'm positive the other scope screen owning projector owners would agree with me, the VAR is absolute sh*t to watch with the way the AR constantly switches in and out during the film.
I have a 65" ZT60 plasma and the VAR drove me crazy ....... it was the constant back and forth. Movies like Hunger Games where it jumps to 1.78:1 for the games and stays there I get, but I found the constant back and forth for this, including within the same scene to be very distracting. I realize this is a personal thing and others have no problem with it, but it really distracted me. YMMV
OzHDHT likes this.
antennahead is offline  
post #282 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
I'll give you Jurassic Park, but I think Titanic is my favorite 3D film. It's just taken care of so well on it, and it's better than most 3D films because, just as I said before, 3D is the greatest afterthought of all of them. The awesome thing was him being able to go open matte with his original 2.35:1 film for the 3D representation.
You lost me with Titanic, 3D wouldn't make it any more bearable to watch for me lol. Every conversion I've ever watched looks just that, a conversion. I like 3D, but what I refer to as the 'diorama' effect doesn't cut it for me, it's cute, but it's not immersive enough to really excite me. I much prefer films that are really properly designed around 3D and work conceptually with it. Gravity was pretty remarkable in that regard.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #283 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 AM
 
Trigen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
Spoiler!
The spaceship was spinning (centripetal force) from Earth to Saturn (during the stasis) and after they emerge from the wormhole.

As to the sound mix being quiet, was that supposed to be sarcasm?
Trigen is offline  
post #284 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Member
 
teookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I did notice at the end with Ellen Burstyn's dialog while the music soared, that there was some digital clipping or some kind of anomaly, but it was very brief.
I noticed the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
The science was a mess to say the least. At most they would lose minutes, maybe hours by traveling that fast (the faster you go the more there is a time difference between those moving slower and those moving faster) but there is no way they would lose months let alone years without first getting stuck in the gravitational pull at the very least, or just downright killed.
You have some math to back that assertion up? Due to the fact that an actual astrophysicist (Kip Thorne) was an executive producer for the film, I'm going to go ahead and believe them on this point. And my understanding was that all the time dilation was due to strong gravity from the black hole, not from high velocities.
teookie is offline  
post #285 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigen View Post
The spaceship was spinning (centripetal force) from Earth to Saturn (during the stasis) and after they emerge from the wormhole.

As to the sound mix being quiet, was that supposed to be sarcasm?
No it wasn't. The scenes that needed to be loud were very impressive but as far as Nolan movies go, i was expecting an all out assault where the score is simply overbearing and wears you out because it's throbbing in the background 90% of the time as was the case with Inception and TDKR. This soundtrack was much cleaner and tasteful which was a good thing. The most problems I had with understanding the dialogue were the quieter scenes, not being drowned out by the action. I doubt that was intentional on Nolan's part unless he thinks Caine should be unintelligible because he was bedridden.

A poorly mixed movie with McConaughy's southern drawl is a recipe for disaster. In the first half of the movie I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #286 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,628
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
I guess I got the BD with the "good" sound mix .. did I have to listen carefully and maybe lean forward to hear Michael Caine's last words .. ? .. absolutely .. I thought that was the whole point .. he's dying, it's his last words, he's not going to be attempting to project them across the room ..


Follow this link to some solid info on the "Science of Interstellar" anyone is interested ..
http://www.space.com/27692-science-o...fographic.html
dfergie and quad4.0 like this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #287 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Nodscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The problem with that is that to get the amount of time dilation they experienced by being affected by gravity would literally have crushed them well before then. I guess I should word that better, I ruled out gravity since that would have killed them where time dilation would have made (somewhat) more sense.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...mity-to-the-ga

That's an interesting post and some people have commented on Thorne's book in regards to the physics involved.

http://www.quora.com/In-the-movie-In...years-on-Earth

If you read the comment by Tim slack, he also mentions the book and how unlikely it is and how Thorne had to come up with some way to make the physics work. I still have my doubt about them getting out of such a gravity well. And just because they had Thorne, didn't mean they didn't take some liberties along the way

Here is an interview with the man himself in Scientific American which clears things up. Supposedly all the math is good although I would love to read the book to know for sure if either the gravity, radiation etc wouldn't have killed everyone. So for now I have to retract my statement about the time dilation. It is factual in regards to Gargantua and the black hole.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...st-kip-thorne/



Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
I noticed the same thing.



You have some math to back that assertion up? Due to the fact that an actual astrophysicist (Kip Thorne) was an executive producer for the film, I'm going to go ahead and believe them on this point. And my understanding was that all the time dilation was due to strong gravity from the black hole, not from high velocities.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot

Last edited by Nodscene; 04-03-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Nodscene is offline  
post #288 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Al K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
we need someone else to confirm on this

Thanks
Al K is offline  
post #289 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
And with all the references to gravity in this movie, why was there gravity on the ship as they were travelling in space. They were floating around at the beginning but magically restored gravity the rest of the movie. Was that explained and I somehow missed it?
I guess you missed the explanation that gravity was simulated by centripetal force. It should have been obvious since when the ship was rotating, there was simulated gravity but when it stopped rotating, there wasn't.

Be seeing you!

Last edited by cctvtech; 04-03-2015 at 11:52 AM.
cctvtech is offline  
post #290 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
quad4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: here
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I thought this one has fantastic special effects - the other world scenes, and the tsunami there was great, audio spot on. My room was rumbling as it should have, making it very realistic.
If I could only stay awake to sit through one viewing. awful boring story, Fell asleep 3 times, and I never do that. It's me, I expected more from it. Left with many questions, and too complicated.
quad4.0 is offline  
post #291 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
The most problems I had with understanding the dialogue were the quieter scenes, not being drowned out by the action. I doubt that was intentional on Nolan's part unless he thinks Caine should be unintelligible because he was bedridden.

A poorly mixed movie with McConaughy's southern drawl is a recipe for disaster. In the first half of the movie I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.
I had the same problem understanding dialog in the quiet scenes. The sound mix definitely has very large dynamic range. For a while, I had to keep adjusting the volume. Eventually, I wound up turning on my AVR's dynamic range control, which helped immensely.

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
post #292 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 9,892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
So that is the only noticeable clipping you found? Apparently the track has quite a bit of it going off the objective measurements. I just hope the clipping is not as obvious/distracting as something like Godzilla which is a mess! I know you have a good ear for audio, so your post caught my attention as the data-bass measurements have confirmed quite a bit of clipping in the track.

I'll be watching Fri so I am now also curious about this as well as how well it frames to a CA ratio.
Yeah only the dialog at that one point I've noticed something like that. I haven't seen the DATA-bass measurements, but if they talking about bass signal clipping, that will be hard to hear if at all, maybe if you isolate the offending channel, but who wants to that?

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is online now  
post #293 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,798
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked: 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah only the dialog at that one point I've noticed something like that. I haven't seen the DATA-bass measurements, but if they talking about bass signal clipping, that will be hard to hear if at all, maybe if you isolate the offending channel, but who wants to that?
It was measured in other channels as well. I'll be watching tonight.
Toe is online now  
post #294 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Member
 
lorenzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A movie definitely appropriate for a capable home theater. As for dramatics, it's kind of draggy and plot buggy. And 2.5 hours would have been plenty. I volunteer to do the editing.

Interesting to me how in fantasy/fiction each viewer has separate and distinct boundaries as to their suspension of disbelief. I watched it with someone who has a decent understanding of quantum physics as do I. Yet one of us found it plausibly suspendable while the other did not.

I will say we both thought the movie shifted to comedy during the Damon scene. Maybe more to the point it seemed to us Damon thought the movie was shifting to comedy. Almost everyone I know carries a more serious tone while grocery shopping or driving on the freeway than Damon did fighting for survival.
lorenzzo is offline  
post #295 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blastermaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunny Okanagan
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Watched this last night on my CIH setup. No problems at all with aspect ratio changes and it was way less distracting than watching it on 16:9 when the ratios change what seemed to be every 10 seconds.

Quote:
I thought this one has fantastic special effects - the other world scenes, and the tsunami there was great, audio spot on. My room was rumbling as it should have, making it very realistic.
If I could only stay awake to sit through one viewing. awful boring story, Fell asleep 3 times, and I never do that. It's me, I expected more from it. Left with many questions, and too complicated.
Yes, the audio was great, but I am the opposite in that this is one movie where I actually was engaged throughout the whole movie and, amazingly, didn't fall asleep. That's saying something for me, as I usually don't make it through a whole movie these days before I decide to head to bed. I didn't make it through the whole movie on the second viewing, though...
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
blastermaster is offline  
post #296 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
darklord700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Watched it again tonight and I'm afraid I like the story even less. I cannot sympathize with the farther and daughter angle. Cooper has a however small chance to save human race and the value of this mission outweighs exponentially the lost of family time between Cooper and young Murphy. Mankind has given up those for far less, just asked anyone who have migrated from one country to another seeing for a better life.

This problem is exacerbated by the poor acting of young Murphy. They should have picked a better child actor for young Murphy but I think they'd gone for one that resembles adult Murphy's look instead.
darklord700 is offline  
post #297 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Watched it again tonight and I'm afraid I like the story even less. I cannot sympathize with the farther and daughter angle. Cooper has a however small chance to save human race and the value of this mission outweighs exponentially the lost of family time between Cooper and young Murphy. Mankind has given up those for far less, just asked anyone who have migrated from one country to another seeing for a better life.

This problem is exacerbated by the poor acting of young Murphy. They should have picked a better child actor for young Murphy but I think they'd gone for one that resembles adult Murphy's look instead.
I think you're missing the point about lost family time between Cooper and Murph. Yes, he didn't want to lose family time, but it was due to Murph's generation being the last generation on Earth meaning he would not only lose family time, but the entire human population on Earth would also be gone. Cooper even says he wants to save his his family and the rest of the people on Earth.

Last edited by ch1sox; 04-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.
ch1sox is offline  
post #298 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
darklord700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
I think you're missing the point about lost family time between Cooper and Murph. Yes, he didn't want to lose family time, but it was due to Murph's generation being the last generation on Earth meaning he would not only lose family time, but the entire human population on Earth would also be gone. Cooper even says he wants to save his his family and the rest of the people on Earth.
So what good will Cooper staying behind do? He'll almost certainly watch Murphy's generation die at the end. Obviously someone would have gone in Cooper's place. But the argument remains that people had missed family time to go to war for matters much trivial than our own survival.

And I think especially adult Murphy should understand this. I cringed when I heard adult Murphy lamented that Cooper left them to die. No Cooper didn't leave them to die but gave them a glimmer of hope. That to me is the essence of love and the angle the movie should have played off of.

Last edited by darklord700; 04-03-2015 at 10:53 PM.
darklord700 is offline  
post #299 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
So what good will Cooper staying behind do? He'll almost certainly watch Murphy's generation die at the end. Obviously someone would have gone in Cooper's place. But the argument remains that people had missed family time to go to war for matters much trivial than our own survival.

And I think especially adult Murphy should understand this. I cringed when I heard adult Murphy lamented that Cooper left them to die. No Cooper didn't leave them to die but gave them a glimmer of hope. That to me is the essence of love.
Spoiler!

Last edited by ch1sox; 04-03-2015 at 11:02 PM.
ch1sox is offline  
post #300 of 745 Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
This problem is exacerbated by the poor acting of young Murphy. They should have picked a better child actor for young Murphy but I think they'd gone for one that resembles adult Murphy's look instead.
That's a first.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off