Interstellar (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 349Likes

post #301 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Just finished seeing it an hour ago and disappointed because my AVR is dead and the casting/acting was ridiculous. Like others have stated this was a sleeper and I would have cut the movie down to 2 hours max. The visuals were good but imo there weren't enough to keep me fully immersed. I will revisit Interstellar next year when I get a tv (HDR/OLED) and AV receiver but definitely not in a big rush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked: 2216
Picked this up today can't wait till watch tonight.

Frank

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #303 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Region Code: A,B,C
Are you sure about that, Ralph? I'm seeing reports of this edition being region A locked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Fine View Post
Are you sure about that, Ralph? I'm seeing reports of this edition being region A locked.
Greetings,

As far as I know it isn't region locked.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #305 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

As far as I know it isn't region locked.

Regards,
Well, blu-ray.com, dvdworldusa.com and hdmoviesource.com say so. Where's your copy from?
post #306 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 265
This movie was such a disappointment. There was so much talk about the science, but for crying out loud, how far in the future is this and we're still using Dell pcs that look 5 years old? The cars too, retro controls on the space craft, I'm surprised they didn't throw in a crt. At least they had a robot with attitude.
post #307 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Fine View Post
Well, blu-ray.com, dvdworldusa.com and hdmoviesource.com say so. Where's your copy from?
Greetings,

North America, direct from the studio which is the retail version. I would imagine it is the same version as those received by the outlets you reference. I will check with the studio regarding the region and report back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #308 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
This movie was such a disappointment. There was so much talk about the science, but for crying out loud, how far in the future is this and we're still using Dell pcs that look 5 years old? The cars too, retro controls on the space craft, I'm surprised they didn't throw in a crt. At least they had a robot with attitude.
Spoiler!

Being an ex-miltary aircraft mechanic, I appreciated all of the details that went into building the ships.
post #309 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Spoiler!

Being an ex-miltary aircraft mechanic, I appreciated all of the details that went into building the ships.
That was one thing that confused me about this movie. Was this movie taking place in present time or 50 or so years in the future? Earth looked the same indicating present time but it seems the advancement they made in rocket technology indicated it was decades into the future. I really doubt we have a ship capable of going thru wormholes and cruising around black holes anytime soon.
post #310 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
That was one thing that confused me about this movie. Was this movie taking place in present time or 50 or so years in the future? Earth looked the same indicating present time but it seems the advancement they made in rocket technology indicated it was decades into the future. I really doubt we have a ship capable of going thru wormholes and cruising around black holes anytime soon.
It is set in the future, don't recall how many decades out...On the supplemental disc, Nolan says he purposely instructed his set and costume designers to not waste time guessing what things would look like in the future, mostly because one ends up guessing wrong, and, I think, to emphasize that all the focus was on sustaining life - there was no time spent on evolving design or fashion.
post #311 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
But they figured out suspended animation and a bunch of other tech like a surface vehicle that can get back into space, so not just parts off the shelf... The implication was that it was at least 20 years in the future.

I just happen to be reading "The World Without US" by Alan Weisman. It's about how we have trashed the planet, so it makes the premise of the movie a little more realistic. The book is well written but quite depressing. Things have only gotten worse since it was written.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 04-04-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added TWWU
post #312 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
It is set in the future, don't recall how many decades out...On the supplemental disc, Nolan says he purposely instructed his set and costume designers to not waste time guessing what things would look like in the future, mostly because one ends up guessing wrong, and, I think, to emphasize that all the focus was on sustaining life - there was no time spent on evolving design or fashion.
Yup... Nolan didn't want his crew using up resources coming up with futuristic-techno-gadgets that would ultimately be proven false down the road, and make the film look dated and silly. I actually don't mind this approach, because he's 100% correct. Also, in the future America in the film, remember that the authorities at large appear to be purposely shunning the advancement of technology i.e. Cooper's talk at the school about the "Moon landings". Technology doesn't always push forward. No country in the world has the capability to send people to the Moon at this very moment: the Saturn V rockets that carried the Apollo astronauts were more powerful than any existing launch vehicle currently available.

As far as propulsion technology goes, it hasn't really advanced that much either since its inception. The basic premise of using wormholes/black holes is similar to gaining momentum by slingshot-ing around a planet - you just insert your craft at a certain point, at which time you let gravity and the physical laws of the universe take over. So all you really need are conventional, old-school, chemical rockets.

In any case, I watched the movie at home two evenings ago. I enjoyed it for the most part, but was a little distracted and couldn't focus on the film entirely... I'll have to give it another go.

Last edited by tezster; 04-04-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added quote
post #313 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
If I recall correctly, the wormhole was created by 5th dimension people specifically for earthlings & its existing technology, and the black hole was a "loving" black hole or something to that effect.
post #314 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Glad im not the only one who was a little put off by how the tech looked in the future. Especially when Cooper is found near saturn and hes like 120 years old now. I just dont see medical equipment and clothing and LCD screens looking the same now as they do in what could be 200 years from now. Unless there was some big vintage revival.

I still have a lot of questions about how and why but I guess they are best left unanswered.
post #315 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 957
My local library has this on Blu and I'm watching it tonight.

So far it's the only Blu Ray they have but according to them they are going to buy the Blu/DVD combo whenever possible from now on.
post #316 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Really enjoyed the heck out this movie but was a bit long but hey home movies allow pause and a quick five minute break.

I had dialog issues at times as some others reported. I have some new mains and my center is not here yet and I have not decided on rears. With 2.1 I did have a number of moments where I could not quite understand dialog but figured may be to fact that dialog is coming from left and right and mixed in with soundtrack.

I will buy this one and try again when my center arrives and my speakers have some more run- in .

I enjoyed it greatly but it may be a watch it twice and done kind of movie. Will wait for center for second viewing.

Rick
post #317 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Quote:
But they figured out suspended animation and a bunch of other tech like a surface vehicle that can get back into space, so not just parts off the shelf... The implication was that it was at least 20 years in the future.

I just happen to be reading "The World Without US" by Alan Weisman. It's about how we have trashed the planet, so it makes the premise of the movie a little more realistic. The book is well written but quite depressing. Things have only gotten worse since it was written.
I did like the design of the hyper sleep chamber, it was a kind of like a depravation chamber so your body just floats. They did take pills so it probably lower metabolism/heart rate etc... It would have been cool for an explanation (way longer run time) on that but now we are focusing on the tech than rather than the story that Nolan was showing us. The main reason I liked the older/newer tech blend of the ship because we have things like the B52 (Buff for 50 years) and C130 that have been around for decades with some updates. They are reliable, get the job done and is 'cheaper' than newer tech. The other side of that coin is the F35. That plane has more tech than any flying machine out there. But the damn thing has so many bugs (i.e. it needs cool gas to make the engine work properly lol) and it is an embarrassment to the on going costs of this plane. Sure on paper this thing can do anything but the plane is having issues just getting off the ground. My point is (at least my take of it) in the movie everything has been put on the back burner for food production on earth. The military was disbanded so that means no more new tech (most tech comes from military applications/funded from them). The very few left over at NASA could only make a hodgepodge of a ship that could possibly get to where they are going. Of course reliability is a big issue when you are talking about space travel, so I think they took the minimum of newer tech (hyper sleep, propulsion system and navigation) and coupled it with the tried and true tested built stuff so it has the higher margin of success.

I like having discussions of films like this and I think that is why these types of films do exist. I will check out that book because I like reading about stuff like that.
post #318 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching it agian for a 3rd time, viewing it this time in 3D, letting my tv do the conversion. Its alright. I really had to turn up the settings to get any depth out of it. And not because it was in 3d, but the scene where they are floating past I think it was Jupiter and Romily is listening to coopers player. I think its a little deep with Endurance floating past the planet in space with the soundtrack of crickets and a thunderstorm rolling along
post #319 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I was pleased overall. I will join the group complaining about occasionally having dialogue issues, especially during scenes with heavy bass. Speaking of bass, there were several parts where I was impressed how much the bass was a part of the story. Going through the wormhole, for example, was great.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #320 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
This movie put me to sleep last night and was way too long IMO, but I am going to give it one more shot before it goes back to NF. Glad I rented!

Audio was a bit out of balance, but I had no major issues. Bass was certainly strong and powerful at times, but felt a bit incomplete for some reason and not sure why. It felt very focused in one narrow section of the frequency range if I had to guess and could have used a bit more fullness, but still a lot of fun moments of course! Nothing hits hard down low. Nothing I would personally add to my collection just for audio/bass though.

It framed fine to scope for the most part from what I watched even if it wasn't optimized of course with a straight center crop on the 1.78 scenes. PQ was a bit inconsistent switching in and out of the IMAX stuff.

So yeah, overall this was a miss for me, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #321 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 770
I watched this in the theater upon initial release and now own the Blu-ray disc. It was too long in the theater and still too long when viewing. I did enjoy it more at home. Regarding dialog on my system, it was much better than the theater. It sounds like the main culprit is the music score which gets louder on occasion than the dialog. I was able to hear picture frames rattling in the adjacent room due to the low end content. I thought the scene in the flashback of Cooper's ship and it's re-entry at the start had some decent low end but at that I'm guessing around 35-40HZ level to give it some boost? I can see why it's compared to 2001 a Space Odyssey.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #322 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
This movie put me to sleep last night and was way too long IMO, but I am going to give it one more shot before it goes back to NF. Glad I rented!

Audio was a bit out of balance, but I had no major issues. Bass was certainly strong and powerful at times, but felt a bit incomplete for some reason and not sure why. It felt very focused in one narrow section of the frequency range if I had to guess and could have used a bit more fullness, but still a lot of fun moments of course! Nothing hits hard down low. Nothing I would personally add to my collection just for audio/bass though.

It framed fine to scope for the most part from what I watched even if it wasn't optimized of course with a straight center crop on the 1.78 scenes. PQ was a bit inconsistent switching in and out of the IMAX stuff.

So yeah, overall this was a miss for me, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Greetings,

As always Todd, your input is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks..!

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 04-04-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #323 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3rd this week watching it, put it in 3d and made it louder and skipped a few chapters to get to the good parts. I started to smell my AVR getting hot and my subwoofer vibrated across the wood floors a few inches
post #324 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
All explained on the bonus disk. They wanted the spacecraft(s) to look as if they were cobbled together from parts obtained from older sources as well as newer production. They also explained that most of the Earth's resources were being used to keep food production going with little left over for anything else.

It was also obvious from various scenes that little-to-no engineering or manufacturing was dedicated to anything other than food production and even the scene with the teacher demonstrated that the government dismissed space travel as "faked" and/or worthless.
ch1sox likes this.

Be seeing you!
post #325 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Audio flaw?

I can hear a faint but annoying high-pitched whine in the opening scenes (say from 30 secs until things get loud at 1m30s). If you go up to each speaker it's in the right front channel only. Seems like a flaw to me that's not supposed to be there. Anyone else notice this? (I have it on two different systems so it's not an equipment problem).
post #326 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, my frame is Romilly (David Gyasi) in a spacesuit talking to Mann (Matt Damon) shortly after he was woken up.

Be seeing you!
post #327 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I just got a chance to watch this last night. This is a film I really enjoyed. I think being a father myself really helps relate to the main character and his personal struggle as he balances family and his mission.

I think, for me, this was one of the better releases as of late. It was fresh and kept you guessing. The ending drug on for a bit, and IMO, they could have ended the movie
Spoiler!
but it was still well done and tied everything together nicely.

The audio was a little disappointing. The bass was extremely powerful (albeit in a very narrow range), and even though it was a little muddy, I enjoyed the back massage it provided.
cctvtech likes this.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #328 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wanted to see this in the theater but did not go. Just picked up the blu ray and plan on watching it this evening, will post back my thoughts. Have 5.1 system setup with an older but still very good Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR with Paradigm fronts/center, Sony sub and in ceiling rear speakers that came with the home. This system definitely adds to any film, for example watched Fury a few weeks ago, tank battles were like you were there with rocking sound. Read a few comments on this thread and it sounds like Interstellar is definitely a good but not necessarily great flick. One of my all time favs is 2001 A Space Odyssey so I think I will enjoy this flick tremendously. Will post back some impressions at a later time.
post #329 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The one thing I felt was not adequately covered is how could they have launched all of the exploration missions plus launched and assembled the Endurance in secret. With 12 hub modules, the docking module, all of the linking structures and I assume multiple launches of assembly crews, we're talking maybe at least 100 launches. The ISS required over 115 launches on five different types of launch vehicles to construct and it is relatively small and simple compared to Endurance.

The launch of rockets powerful enough to transport entire modules to even LEO would be both seen and heard for many miles. I've read that Space Shuttle launches could be seen from at least 400 miles away and heard from at least 300 miles away. So why didn't anyone notice?

Be seeing you!

Last edited by cctvtech; 04-04-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: expand
post #330 of 745 Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hmm, it would be interesting to take a poll on how many people are bothered by constantly changing aspect ratios, and how many aren't. And maybe correlate that preference with screen size and aspect ratio.

I'm in the hater camp. I find the variable AR completely distracting. Fill my screen and stay there. The Dark Knight didn't bother me, because the changes were infrequent. Interstellar, they're like every few seconds. Bleah.

In the same vein... a friend came over with Tron: Legacy in 3D. This movie has it all: variable aspect ratios AND switching between 2D and 3D. We found ourselves lifting our glasses and saying, "Is this in 2D?" Double bleah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page