Interstellar (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 349Likes

post #91 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
^ But most theaters (i.e. non-IMAX) showed it in constast scope AR. So you can't really say the VA is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Apparently not, but if the centre crop is reasonable I'm going to rip it and re-encode with Handbrake at scope AR. That worked well for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire (1920x800 = 2.4:1), and for Avatar (which needed a slightly taller AR to avoid cutting off important stuff — I used 1920x848 = 2.26:1). Just make sure to use a high quality encode and it will look as good as the original.
Another AVS Forum member helped me do this for TDK and TDKR. He walked me through the process, but in the end my PC for whatever reason did not allow for the audio to properly come through or something.
post #93 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
^ But most theaters (i.e. non-IMAX) showed it in constast scope AR. So you can't really say the VA is better.
Not saying "better"....just more accurate to a filmmaker's intent. Especially since the IMAX scenes are not converted but were actually filmed using IMAX cameras. And that's how I expect to see it. (But much smaller of course!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ The director knew most theatres would show it in scope AR, so the IMAX scenes don't really add anything important. I can see why people watching in 16:9 would rather keep the scenes that fill their screen, but for those with scope screens the movie is more impressive when it's full width, which means cropping the top and bottom of those IMAX scenes.

The best solution would have been to offer both versions on the Blu-ray.
rboster, Toe, emergetech and 1 others like this.
post #95 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ The director knew most theatres would show it in scope AR, so the IMAX scenes don't really add anything important. I can see why people watching in 16:9 would rather keep the scenes that fill their screen, but for those with scope screens the movie is more impressive when it's full width, which means cropping the top and bottom of those IMAX scenes.

The best solution would have been to offer both versions on the Blu-ray.
So how do you watch 1.85 (or whatever) on scope screens? Wouldn't that eliminate picture from the top/bottom of those as well? (Since I'm conisdering going PJ, I'm curious). Because whatever set-up I end up with, I'll need to ensure that both ratios are not compromised.
post #96 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ If a whole movie is 1.85:1 I watch it that way and it fills the height of my scope screen but not the width. I have no problem with that, but most of these recent variable AR movies are mostly 2:35:1 (and frankly were intended to be seen that way, except at IMAX theatres), and if you set the projector zoom for 1:85:1 then the majority of the movie (the scope parts) ends up being quite unimpressive with black bars on all four sides when it could be filling the screen. In this case I'd rather zoom to fill the screen width and lose the top and bottom filler in the IMAX scenes (and I call it filler because the director won't put anything important there, knowing it won't get shown in regular theatres).

Having said that, a problem arises if the scope version shown in theatres is not just a fixed crop of the IMAX version. If the position of the crop changes throughout the movie then you might lose something important filling a scope screen, but I've been happy with the couple of movies I cropped so far.
post #97 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ If a whole movie is 1.85:1 I watch it that way and it fills the height of my scope screen but not the width. I have no problem with that, but most of these recent variable AR movies are mostly 2:35:1 (and frankly were intended to be seen that way, except at IMAX theatres), and if you set the projector zoom for 1:85:1 then the majority of the movie (the scope parts) ends up being quite unimpressive with black bars on all four sides when it could be filling the screen. In this case I'd rather zoom to fill the screen width and lose the top and bottom filler in the IMAX scenes (and I call it filler because the director won't put anything important there, knowing it won't get shown in regular theatres).

Having said that, a problem arises if the scope version shown in theatres is not just a fixed crop of the IMAX version. If the position of the crop changes throughout the movie then you might lose something important filling a scope screen, but I've been happy with the couple of movies I cropped so far.
I dunno...I'd assume that the IMAX scenes are not just empty starfields but contain a lot of effects that I hope would not be lost. Haven't seen the film yet so I can't say. However, I was on set during the filming of Nolan's DARK KNIGHT RISES and Wally Pfister and Nolan spent a lot of time making sure the IMAX frame was jam-packed with info. There did not seem to be any "safe" area on the monitor. I did hear someone say something about the hoped-for experience and the response was along the lines of "We're making this for big formats, not home video." Not certain if the reference was about ratio or not but it seemed to me like they were composing for full-frame IMAX with those VERY loud IMAX cameras.
Anyway, I hate to lose visual effects since even the unimportant parts add to the experience. But I'll certainly watch INTERSTELLAR with an eye to what might be missing if cropped.
post #98 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
You can buy it in CA via streaming sites like Vudu. Me, I always hope to re-create the theatrical experience as much as possible within my current set-up and I always opt for the VA. I was disappointed when the last TREK film came out in CA in 3D. A later release was VA but no 3D, so I had to pass. In a nutshell, I want to see it the way it was designed and shot to be seen. If I get a projector later this year, I know I'm going to want it to be able to display all ratios without compromise (include 4X3). Gee, those seeking CA must have been REALLY pissed with GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (THREE aspect ratios!)
Vudu is a compromise as well as you don't get the same quality A/V you get on blu ray.

I want to see the film the way it was meant to be seen in non IMAX theaters which was CA. There is a reason they don't use VA on traditional scope screens because it doesn't work and you don't get the intended effect. Me and other CIH folks just want this same option so we can see the film in the best possible way on our scope screens just like non IMAX traditional theaters.
rboster and emergetech like this.
post #99 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
So how do you watch 1.85 (or whatever) on scope screens? Wouldn't that eliminate picture from the top/bottom of those as well? (Since I'm conisdering going PJ, I'm curious). Because whatever set-up I end up with, I'll need to ensure that both ratios are not compromised.
For us that has scope screen, we don't have problem watching different aspect ratio movie. We have problem when one movie switches back-and-forth between 16x9 and 2.35 in the same movie. It's very distracting, one minute I am thinking "oh it's 16x9" then "oh its 2.35". It's like the director don't know what he wants. So he just put both AR in the same movie. It also feel like I am watching two different movie.
post #100 of 745 Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
To truly understand the high resolution of the IMAX camera and why it is better than other cameras you have to see the movie in an IMAX theater.
post #101 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAXAIDAN View Post
To truly understand the high resolution of the IMAX camera and why it is better than other cameras you have to see the movie in an IMAX theater.
Exactly. None of this "as intended" crap translates to home for three reasons:

1) Smaller screen. Sorry, but the IMAX screen filling up your periphery is half of the immersion. Screens that are eight stories tall and the rest wide, you're really not supposed to see it all at once. That's pretty much the point of it.

2) 1080p. Anything that was very significant in resolution has now been downconverted. Better than the non-IMAX shots I suppose, but that higher resolution really screams as more beneficial on those big screens.

3) 1.78:1. I have a lot of films that are like this, so "opening up" ain't quite all that. Not unless they went full 1.44:1 (or is it 1.43:1?). Not that you're getting that much more, but that really only works for the very reason that is #1 ... needs to be on the bigger screen in the end.
post #102 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Boy oh boy does the bass keep going. I rarely have to turn my Triax down since I have weird upper bass robbing room problems, but the lower bass on this movie almost physically hurts! Liked it better at home than at the theater.

post #103 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar and can't wait to pick up my copy. That, a steak dinner, and a brewski will make my day complete.
post #104 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 AM
hli

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Apparently not, but if the centre crop is reasonable I'm going to rip it and re-encode with Handbrake at scope AR. That worked well for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire (1920x800 = 2.4:1), and for Avatar (which needed a slightly taller AR to avoid cutting off important stuff — I used 1920x848 = 2.26:1). Just make sure to use a high quality encode and it will look as good as the original.
With subtitles and 2.4:1 fixed screen, VA is simply put impossible. I have the Panasonic PT-4000 set to fixed zoom to fill entire 2,4:1. When AR changes the subtitles will almost hit the floor. I will then have to zoom to 16:9 giving me a small centered letterbox picture for 2,4:1 scenes. Dynamic zooming is not an option. I was skipping this in theaters and was looking forward to the HT experience - bummer. I just wish this stupid VA idea would go away together with 3D!!!
NextLevel217 likes this.
post #105 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 360
So there are aspect changes during the film like the Batman films? Not really of fan of that when using a 2.35 screen in zoom mode.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
post #106 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it looks amazing in IMAX theater. but how many of us will be watching this on the IMAX theater at home? High chance of none!
And how many people do we know that can alternate the ratio of our vision? None.
post #107 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hli View Post
With subtitles and 2.4:1 fixed screen, VA is simply put impossible. I have the Panasonic PT-4000 set to fixed zoom to fill entire 2,4:1. When AR changes the subtitles will almost hit the floor. I will then have to zoom to 16:9 giving me a small centered letterbox picture for 2,4:1 scenes. Dynamic zooming is not an option. I was skipping this in theaters and was looking forward to the HT experience - bummer. I just wish this stupid VA idea would go away together with 3D!!!
At least with 3-D, you have a choice of watching in 2D
post #108 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony4k View Post
I'm sure it looks amazing in IMAX theater. but how many of us will be watching this on the IMAX theater at home? High chance of none!
And how many people do we know that can alternate the ratio of our vision? None.
Even on a TV I prefer the bars.
post #109 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Vudu is a compromise as well as you don't get the same quality A/V you get on blu ray.

I want to see the film the way it was meant to be seen in non IMAX theaters which was CA. There is a reason they don't use VA on traditional scope screens because it doesn't work and you don't get the intended effect. Me and other CIH folks just want this same option so we can see the film in the best possible way on our scope screens just like non IMAX traditional theaters.
I agree about Vudu. Anyway, if they use IMAX cameras, the ratio is not 2.35, even if shown that way in other theaters. While I would always opt for how it was filmed to be seen. But I certainly wouldn't mind a disc option that was CA for those who prefer that...as long as it's not an "either-or" situation. Actually, the CA option sometimes is available as a separate BD edition (as TRANSFORMERS 4 was). STAR TREK: ID was CA, but that was a loss for 3D users, since the later VA release was not in 3D...so there is NO version of that movie that reflects filmmaker's intent. And that is the real danger.
post #110 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hli View Post
Better letterboxing than eliminating IMAX and 3D...which many of us enjoy and value. Just stick to widescreen and let the 16X9 be cropped....as the filmmaking intent and 3D experience seems less important to you than compromised home technology. Personally, I always was against the 16X9 ratio for televisions, preferring something wider. But it is what it is so I make do. Just as i would when I do get a PJ.

Last edited by film113; 03-22-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #111 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
I agree about Vudu. Anyway, if they use IMAX cameras, the ratio is not 2.35, even if shown that way in other theaters. While I would always opt for how it was filmed to be seen. But I certainly wouldn't mind a disc option that was CA for those who prefer that...as long as it's not an "either-or" situation. Actually, the CA option sometimes is available as a separate BD edition (as TRANSFORMERS 4 was). STAR TREK: ID was CA, but that was a loss for 3D users, since the later VA release was not in 3D...so there is NO version of that movie that reflects filmmaker's intent. And that is the real danger.
I wouldn't call it so much a "preference" for me, but rather presenting the film as closely as possible to the intended viewing experience when using a scope screen and in the case of these VA films, CA is the best option which again is why CA is used instead of VA on non IMAX traditional scope screens and we need that same option at home for CIH users. Transformers 2 gave us this option as you had the big screen edition which was VA and the CA version as well and this option should be available for EVERY VA film released on blu ray.
post #112 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
A friend got a hold of a 1080P MKV file of Interstellar (I assume from a European BR release because they always seem to come out earlier than they do here) with a DTS5.1 audio track. We watched it on his 65" Panny ZT60. It did have the changing aspect ratios just like the IMAX version which I saw but it really wasn't that noticeable or intrusive. Maybe the very deep blacks on the plasma set had something to do with it in that when the AR changes occurred, the mattes and/or curtains were so black that the image just seemed to be fully integrated into the screen. I have a 55" VT60 with black levels pretty close to his (thanks again Chad) and now am really looking forward to getting this when it releases on March 31st.
post #113 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
A friend got a hold of a 1080P MKV file of Interstellar (I assume from a European BR release because they always seem to come out earlier than they do here) with a DTS5.1 audio track. We watched it on his 65" Panny ZT60. It did have the changing aspect ratios just like the IMAX version which I saw but it really wasn't that noticeable or intrusive. Maybe the very deep blacks on the plasma set had something to do with it in that when the AR changes occurred, the mattes and/or curtains were so black that the image just seemed to be fully integrated into the screen. I have a 55" VT60 with black levels pretty close to his (thanks again Chad) and now am really looking forward to getting this when it releases on March 31st.
Yeah this won't be much of an issue on most TV's, but for certain front projector users will have problems with it for obvious reasons. There are full BD rips all over the net that I could download tonight but I'll wait for my pre order to arrive.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #114 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah this won't be much of an issue on most TV's, but for certain front projector users will have problems with it for obvious reasons. There are full BD rips all over the net that I could download tonight but I'll wait for my pre order to arrive.
They truly are. The European rippers are always on the case. I have to admit that, even with a degree of compression, the 15 GB mkv looked pretty close to pure blu-ray quality and the DTS-5.1 soundtrack kicked butt. The Zimmer score just jumped out at you. I found the balance between the front speakers and the rear surrounds to be excellent and there was no muddying of the dialogue at all. If the compressed audio quality is this good, I can't wait to hear how the DTS-HD Master track sounds.
post #115 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Cool movie to add to the collection but IMO the replay-ability is pretty low for this one. As far as movie watching goes, it is pretty exhausting and clocks in at the 3 hour mark. I can't even imagine seeing it in theaters with no intermission.
post #116 of 745 Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Cool movie to add to the collection but IMO the replay-ability is pretty low for this one. As far as movie watching goes, it is pretty exhausting and clocks in at the 3 hour mark. I can't even imagine seeing it in theaters with no intermission.
my neck was killing me when I saw it in true IMAX. I was almost towards the top and still had to stare up a lot
post #117 of 745 Old 03-23-2015, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Watched this a couple of days ago and even if the movie has some flaws I would rate it like you Ralph With a 4/5 and almost perfect picture and sound.

Some scenes looked a bit soft, just like the focus on the camera was slightly off, but the rest was just amazing. Apart from the scientific flaws of the Movie I liked it very much. Very high on my list of "realistic" Sci Fi movies.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #118 of 745 Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
I believe that you can see it @ home too, from a quality HD front projector and a high-def flat panel display. ...Plasma or OLED.
Source: Good Blu-ray video transfer.
post #119 of 745 Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
I would suggest renting this one. IMHO, it is worth a watch, but I can't see wanting to watch it multiple times. As Ralph noted, there are several misses in the film. I really felt it could have been tighter and better. I felt like it ended up being a little hokie while trying to be too clever. Did anyone else feel that way?
I could watch the docking sequence on repeat all day every day - volume CRANKED.
post #120 of 745 Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version