The Boy Next Door (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Summa

post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
The Boy Next Door (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this psychological thriller that explores a forbidden attraction that goes much too far.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 91 minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jennifer Lopez, John Corbett, Ryan Guzman, Ian Nelson, Kristin Chenoweth
Directed by: Rob Cohen
Music by: Randy Edelman & Nathan Barr
Written by: Barbara Curry
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2015

"Her mistake. His obsession"

My Take:

Jennifer Lopez stars as Claire Peterson, a high school literature teacher struggling to get back in the dating game after separating from her cheating husband (John Corbett). When handsome and charismatic 19-year-old Noah (Ryan Guzman) moves in next door, Claire has a moment of weakness that leads to an extremely intense and intimate night together. Noah’s attraction quickly turns into a dangerous, violent obsession, forcing Claire to her limits as she protects her world from being torn apart.

As you can probably surmise from the synopsis above this is a stalker thriller. I can live with an oft used formula provided that the implementation/execution offers some modicum of thought that at least strives for originality. Unfortunately not so the case with The boy next door which is not only painfully unoriginal but literally ticks off the conventional check boxes with everything from the plot points to the character design. The lazily written script lacks any effective thrills and at times borders on being silly as Claire struggles to cope with her young pursuer. I don’t find Jennifer Lopez to be an actress of high caliber however I think she can carry a film of this sort. Here she really had very little to work with and lacked any tangible chemistry with John Corbett, Ryan Guzman, Ian Nelson or her brief moments spent onscreen with Kristin Chenoweth.

The boy next door looks to engage via an erotic, gender role reversing stalker plot but ultimately comes up way too short to be taken seriously. I watched it with my wife and we both wished for our 90 minutes back.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, sexual content/nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The boy next door comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This is a pleasing video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, enriching contrast, natural colors and dimensionality. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are dynamic, vivid, and perfectly suited for the source material while exhibiting no signs of video related artifacts.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack had no trouble rendering clear and well articulated dialogue. Sound effects had notable dynamic energy so that they sounded full bodied and aurally satisfying. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere and low frequency detail from time to time. The mix does a decent job of creating the right sounds at the right levels and placing them appropriately in the sound field’s acoustic environment. Low frequency effects are used to add solidity to sound effects and the film’s music score. I thought the presentation served the source material well and sounded fine.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 5 deleted scenes
  • (HD) The making of The boy next door – 9 minute featurette
  • Feature Commentary with director Rob Cohen
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The boy next door looks to engage via an erotic, gender role reversing stalker/thriller plot but ultimately comes up way too short to be taken seriously. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video mated with a middling supplemental package. Unless you’re already a fan The boy next door is a pass.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just watched the trailer and I want my 2 minutes back!!..How do movies like this get funded?...pass.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I've really soured on J-Lo over the years. I used to be a big fan, and Selena is still one of my favorite films, but I find her incredibly annoying now. Hard for me to get excited about any of her projects anymore, unfortunately.

Sorry you had to sit through this one, Ralph lol.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I've really soured on J-Lo over the years. I used to be a big fan, and Selena is still one of my favorite films, but I find her incredibly annoying now. Hard for me to get excited about any of her projects anymore, unfortunately.

Sorry you had to sit through this one, Ralph lol.
Greetings,

Thanks AJ...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page