Accidental Love (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Accidental Love (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

A small town waitress gets a nail accidentally lodged in her head causing unpredictable behavior that leads her to Washington, D.C., where sparks fly when she meets a clueless young senator who takes up her cause - but what happens when love interferes with what you stand for?

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Alchemy/Millennium - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Jessica Biel, James Marsden, Jake Gyllenhaal, Catherine Keener, Tracy Morgan, Paul Reubens, Kurt Fuller, James Brolin
Directed by: Stephen Greene
Music by: John Swihart
Written by:Kristin Gore. Matt Silverstein, David Jeser
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2015

"Sometimes you nail love…sometimes it nails you"

My Take:

Alice's (Jessica Biel) perfect life is turned upside down when a freak accident leaves a nail lodged in her head, causing erratic (and erotic) behavior. After her fiancé (James Marsden) calls off the engagement, Alice sets off in search of a cure and falls into the arms of a Howard Birdwell (Jake Gyllenhaal), a sexy senator who champions her cause. Caught up in a love triangle held together by a nail, will Alice listen to her head or her heart?

The primary reason for my interest in reviewing this release was because I liked what I saw in the thematic tone and casting. The film is based on the novel “Sammy’s Hill” by author Kristin Gore. Gore co-wrote the screenplay and appeared to be going for a multi-faceted satire aimed at social commentary, the healthcare crisis, and political rib poking. It all comes together in a sort of screwball comedy mashup that has a fairly original flavor. The question is, is it a good movie? I guess the honest would be, not especially. Having said that I must admit to finding it entertaining.

After watching the first act I opted to let my guard down and get lost in the farcical nature of the story. I mean it all gets very silly and the slapstick can be heavy handed here and there but I found myself chuckling aloud at the deliberate nonsense, characterizations and wink and nod antics. I thought the cast pitched in with enthusiasm that lent a complimentary air of jocularity to the proceedings. It doesn’t end any better than it began but when all was said and done I appreciated Accidental Love for what it was.

The background on this film is rather interesting. Here are some of the details borrowed from Wikipedia:

[i] Accidental Love is a 2015 American comedy film directed by David O. Russell (under a pseudonym) and written by Russell, Kristin Gore, Matthew Silverstein and Dave Jeser, from the novel Sammy's Hill by Gore. Production started in 2008 under the title “Nailed”, but filming was frequently halted due to financial difficulties, leading to Russell quitting the project in 2010. The film was completed without his involvement and Russell has since disowned it, the finished product credited to "Stephen Greene."

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief sexual content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 76
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Accidental Love comes to Blu-ray Disc from Alchemy featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This video presentation offers little in the way of highly polished, razor sharp images that resemble the best that high definition has to offer on Blu-ray but it seems to represent the film’s elements well. Primary colors are tonally satisfying with deep reds and an inviting palette that mates well with the film’s subject matter. Complexions are texturally revealing with natural coloring that varies among the cast. Resolution is good but softer definition leaves the mid-level and wide angle views appearing less resolvable in terms of fine detail. Close ups are more revealing of subtle refinement but can occasionally lack defining clarity. Blacks are not especially deep but I thought that they stood out nicely when onscreen with mixed content. Contrast can be uneven but in most respects empowers colors and brighter elements without negatively impacting overall fidelity. Here and there the image took on an over processed, edge enhanced quality that exacerbated grain and added low level digital noise. Luckily it isn’t pervasive however it’s quite obvious and worthy of note.

This is essentially a dialogue driven film however there are aspects of the presentation that make effective use of the rear channels to expand the soundstage. Dialogue is crystal clear with discerning vocal description and refined texture. The mix relies heavily upon the front three channels. Separation, imaging and directional spacing are excellent as the mix of dialogue, music and recorded sounds are clearly articulated. The LFE channel is used primarily for subtle impact and for upper bass frequencies associated with the film’s music.

Bonus Features:
  • There are no bonus features

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel “Sammy’s Hill” by author/co-screenwriter Kristin Gore Accidental Love is a farcical satire that is more miss than hit but still proved mildly entertaining for me. It comes to Blu-ray from Alchemy featuring fair overall high definition video, clear lossless sound and contains no added features. Accidental Love is tough to recommend however when you’re in the mood for something that is well off the beaten path it might prove to be a decent rental.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews