Still Alice (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Summa

post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
Still Alice (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this engaging and effecting drama about a linguistics professor and her family that find their bonds tested when she is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures Classics - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin, Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth, Hunter Parrish
Written & Directed by: Richard Glatzer & Wash Westmoreland based on the book by Lisa Genova
Music by: Ilan Eshkeri
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 12, 2015

"Struggle to stay connected"

My Take:

Alice Howland (Julianne Moore), happily married with three grown children, is a renowned linguistics professor who starts to forget words. When she receives a diagnosis of Early-Onset Alzheimer's disease, Alice and her family find their bonds thoroughly tested. Her struggle to stay connected to who she once was is frightening, heartbreaking, and inspiring.

Based on the book of the same name and written/directed for the big screen by Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland Still Alice is a moving and subtly powerful expose about a woman and her family that must come to grips with her deteriorating and slowly debilitating illness. I think we have all seen films that deal with this type of subject matter and while most follow the same path, what makes our favorites stand out are the performances. That holds true with Still Alice and the superb turn by Julianne Moore.

At 101 minutes the script moves right along but carefully develops the necessary plot points that allow the audience to see below the surface of the characters while correlating with the familial bonds and meaningful interpersonal exchanges that support the thematic context. I really liked the fact that there is a straight forwardness to the story that eschews overt melodrama in favor of tangible dramatic elements designed to offer a fly on the wall perspective into what it must be like for some like Alice who is faced with early onset Alzheimer’s. Coming back to Moore’s Academy Award winning performance, she delivers a wonderfully nuanced portrayal that tugs at your heartstrings but not because you feel sorry for her but because you’re inspired by her. In addition to Julianne Moore I found Kristen Stewart’s performance to be surprisingly good in support.

I have to imagine that those of us who are close to Alice’s age would easily identify with the stage of life she was at when diagnosed and how devastating it would be to someone so young. I felt that way, as did my wife, and we both found Still Alice to be an engaging, emotive and heartfelt drama that speaks to the human condition on a personal level.

Still Alice bonus features include deleted scenes and three in-depth featurettes. The first, “Directing Alice,” is a look at Richard Glatzer & Wash Westmoreland’s unique journey to create STILL ALICE. This piece includes inspiring footage of the adapted directorial techniques used by Glatzer and Westmoreland, as Glatzer’s battle with ALS progressed while filming. The second featurette, “Finding Alice,” explores the research and time dedicated by the filmmakers and cast to create an accurate portrayal of the disease. This featurette also introduces Sandy Oltz, a woman living with early-onset Alzheimer’s, who served as a consultant and advisor to Julianne Moore. In the third featurette, composer Ilan Eshkeri discusses how Alzheimer’s has affected his life, why he was drawn to this project and the role music plays in the film.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mature thematic material and brief language including a sexual reference.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Still Alice comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

This a solid video presentation that offers strong resolution, lucid imagery, and appreciable delineation during close up and mid-level camera pans. The sepia toned aesthetic and limited chromatic range sets the film’s mood with a purposely reserved palette that softens primary colors. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yields crisp, bright whites and blacks are stable but slightly elevated which leaves them appearing less dynamic and occasionally flat. I didn’t see this as a problem based upon the visual style of the film. This is a pristine encoding that showed no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack is above average for a dialogue driven film like this and features lively dynamics, clearly articulated dialogue, in an open sounding and airy presentation. The film’s music is spread over the entire system with primary instrumental focus being delivered by the front three channels with ambient extension bled to the surround speakers. I thought this surround mix was perfectly suited for the film and sounded wonderful.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 3 deleted scenes
  • (HD) Directing Alice – 8 minute featurette
  • (HD) Finding Alice- 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Interview with composer Ilan Eshkeri – 6 minutes
  • (HD) Trailer
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book of the same name and written/directed for the big screen by Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland Still Alice is a moving and subtly powerful expose about a woman and her family that must come to grips with her deteriorating and slowly debilitating illness. Spearheaded by the Academy Award winning performance by Julianne Moore it is an engaging, emotive and heartfelt drama that speaks to the human condition on a personal level. Still Alice comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video mated with a decent supplemental package that includes background on the filmmakers and processes that brought the book to life. Still Alice is a compelling and worthwhile film that comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
MichelleP likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Nice, Ralph...four stars is about what I was expecting, so glad to know this one lived up to the hype. Can't wait to see this one!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Okay, count me in... I've added this to my "to-be-ordered-blu-rays" list and very much looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Enjoyed your review Great Movie well worth watching . I won't be adding this one to my Blu-Ray colection but it's well worth watching.

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #5 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
There were a couple of things that I didn't like about this movie.

Mainly the time jumps. They go to the doctor, who tells them she has beginning Alzheimers. So far so good. In the next scene the children come to visit and it comes out that she is taking her medicine for months (?). There was no way to know that until she mentioned the medicine. This went on the whole movie. I don't need a day by day timeline but some little inserts like " 3 months later" or so would have been great.

Another big one is the fact that Julianne Moore is in about 7-8 movies a year. Whatever you buy or rent, there she is again. Even though she is a pretty good actress, it wears out and there are only that many faces you can make as an actress.

Good that someone made a movie about Alzheimers (I took care of my father in law until he passed away from that very disease) but this one is not yet what I want to see about that disease.

Good review but this movie is not for me.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow, kinda chuckling at your screen name boguspomp I couldn't disagree more. I thought it was a great movie and I enjoyed it more than most of the nominees for best picture.(also loved The Theory of Everything)
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page