Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #61 of 131 Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Arrow 'Jupiter Ascending' | 3D & Dolby Atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
I love sci-fi, so much so that it really doesn't take much for me to find something in a SF movie that I like.
Unfortunatly I didn't find it in this movie.
To be fair, and honest, I fell asleep so many times trying to watch this, I might as well just say I never watched it.
But I did, and I very rarely ever fall asleep watching a movie (that's the GF job,lol).
I will have to try and watch it again, and hope that I slept through all the good parts, cause the ones that I did see, Zzzzzz
♦ That's the reason why I didn't watch it yet (3D version), because I need to be totally ready and fully awake.
With some flicks that's the way it is; they demand full attention, predisposition, readiness, ...or it simply is best to not watch.
Only then, when I will do that, that I'll be objective with my own review (comments)...technically and subjectively (personal film's value).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I enjoyed this movie because it tries offer something new. Even if they didn't really succeed, at least their films are always different. For that I'll always think the Wachowskis deserve much more credit than they usually get.
♦ I'm like you; anything different (eg.; 'Under the Skin', 'Birdman') deserves full open mind to reevaluate our assessments. ...In film's contentment.

Films are like life; they evolve with time, with people in it. ...Hopefully for the better, but not necessarily the reality that we live in. ...Unfortunately.
So, evolution is NOT always for the better of mankind, including movies...and I just don't know yet about 'Jupiter Ascending' because I'm not yet fully predisposed to ingest and digest it 'equilibriumly'. ...But it's coming, soon...

Technically I don't see myself differing much from the general trend, with perhaps only few personal discoveries of my own.
It is the film's content (spiritual/philosophical value) that I'm interested equally, if not mostly. ...And that, is a very personal evaluation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 131 Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked: 2175
Received my copy today hopefully will get a chance to watch it tonight

Frank
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #63 of 131 Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Received my copy today hopefully will get a chance to watch it tonight

Frank
Greetings,

Great! Looking forward to your thoughts Frank..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 131 Old 06-06-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 584
My interest in checking out this title is to listen to the audio. Only have an older 5.1 setup so no Atmos processing, no upmixing.

Curious if this Atmos title will sound any more spatial in traditional 5.1 than my non Atmos titles.
post #65 of 131 Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 PM

I watched it last night; the audio is very loud @ times, and very busy too with all the sound effects and the music score together. ...And I mean that, LOUD.
Try it @ master reference level, and be prepared to be assaulted on all fronts, and from your subwoofers too...with scary bass impact @ times.

The visuals are nice but with 3D you lose the focus on busy scenes, unfortunately.

Some scenes seem to be out of context; they don't follow the proper order from the previous one...as if the editing was poorly done or something.

I was expecting more from the 3D visuals, but it just didn't happen.

And some scenes where the actors talk softly, you had to turn the volume up to hear what they were saying, and when the action scenes came in, watch out, it was real loud and if you weren't ready, you instinctively turn the volume down couple notches or three.

It started great with an interesting concept, but then it became a grandiose affair that reminded me of Star Wars films with those spacecrafts and laser guns and destruction @ the end.
The script was better than Star Wars, but not by much. ...And the softly spoken actors were more funny than convincing. ...And when they got mad no more soften words, @ least one of them (the last one).

So, audio was just too inconsistent, and the visuals too unfocused (3D version).
The decor sets and makeups and dresses were visually impressive. ...And the colors great looking.

The film itself didn't rock my boat overall, just few scenes, but that's not enough to make it a good film overall.

My own rating...
* Film: 6 out of ten. ...And that is being very generous (I have to revisit it to understand better some previous confusion).
{...So it might go up, or it might go down, next time, in 2D.}
* Audio: 8 (core Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio)
* 3D picture: 8

♦ Overall: 6.5

<<<>>> I was expecting more honestly.

Last edited by NorthSky; 06-06-2015 at 11:26 PM.
post #66 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I watched it last night; the audio is very loud @ times, and very busy too with all the sound effects and the music score together. ...And I mean that, LOUD.
Try it @ master reference level, and be prepared to be assaulted on all fronts, and from your subwoofers too...with scary bass impact @ times.

The visuals are nice but with 3D you lose the focus on busy scenes, unfortunately.

Some scenes seem to be out of context; they don't follow the proper order from the previous one...as if the editing was poorly done or something.

I was expecting more from the 3D visuals, but it just didn't happen.

And some scenes where the actors talk softly, you had to turn the volume up to hear what they were saying, and when the action scenes came in, watch out, it was real loud and if you weren't ready, you instinctively turn the volume down couple notches or three.

It started great with an interesting concept, but then it became a grandiose affair that reminded me of Star Wars films with those spacecrafts and laser guns and destruction @ the end.
The script was better than Star Wars, but not by much. ...And the softly spoken actors were more funny than convincing. ...And when they got mad no more soften words, @ least one of them (the last one).

So, audio was just too inconsistent, and the visuals too unfocused (3D version).
The decor sets and makeups and dresses were visually impressive. ...And the colors great looking.

The film itself didn't rock my boat overall, just few scenes, but that's not enough to make it a good film overall.

My own rating...
* Film: 6 out of ten. ...And that is being very generous (I have to revisit it to understand better some previous confusion).
{...So it might go up, or it might go down, next time, in 2D.}
* Audio: 8 (core Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio)
* 3D picture: 8

Overall: 6.5

<<<>>> I was expecting more honestly.

Watching my copy tonight

Frank

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #67 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 AM

Watched this movie tonight, fantastic what a great flick. Loved every minute of it, will watch again soon. Great replay value.

Frank
Ralph Potts, Toe and dfergie like this.

God Bless!
post #68 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
Watched this movie tonight, fantastic what a great flick. Loved every minute of it, will watch again soon. Great replay value.

Frank
Thanks for the report Frank. How did you like the audio/bass?
post #69 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the report Frank. How did you like the audio/bass?

The audio was awesome !! This movie was great in atmos the lfe has some good moments as well, nothing that is going to win the LFE of the year but is was still quite good.

Frank
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

God Bless!
post #70 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM

I will revisit it too Frank...next time in 2D. I think it might be one of those where I would prefer the 2D version. ...I'll report back when I do.

* Speaking of bass, it's pretty good actually, @ times...but nothing like 'Interstellar'. ...And it is for sure a real busy audio soundtrack, with lots of mayhem going on all around.
Franin likes this.
post #71 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Just finish watching it.
My wife and I, both enjoyed it for what it was

Just pure popcorn candy

Ray
Franin likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #72 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The audio was awesome !! This movie was great in atmos the lfe has some good moments as well, nothing that is going to win the LFE of the year but is was still quite good.

Frank

I also thought the audio was great (7.2)
For the LFE, I thought they could have use more upper bass and less deep bass (my buttckicker, bottom out a few time and had to turn them down [sub are set at 20Hz]).

Ray
post #73 of 131 Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Frank
Saw at the Theater in 3D & D-Box, we were grinning from ear to ear the whole movie, haven't gotten to my 3D copy yet... soon.
post #74 of 131 Old 06-08-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Because of the reviews, I went in to the movie with low expectations. That sometimes helps. Ended up both my wife and I liked the film. I agree with some other posters that there was a lot of sound, so much so that it became an assault on the senses. Other than that, I did like it. It sure is nice to see the Dolby Atmos come up on the receiver, need more of that.
I was given a copy to view so that was a nice plus so I didn't have to pay. I am very impressed with Ralph's reviews. I have yet to come away from a movie and wonder to myself, what was Ralph thinking? He is spot on.
post #75 of 131 Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I enjoyed this movie because it tries offer something new. Even if they didn't really succeed, at least their films are always different. For that I'll always think the Wachowskis deserve much more credit than they usually get.
Quote:

Frank
Quote:

Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Just finish watching it.
My wife and I, both enjoyed it for what it was

Just pure popcorn candy

Ray
I am really glad to hear that you all liked this one. I do plan on a revisit and hope to find it
more enjoyable during the second go 'round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
Because of the reviews, I went in to the movie with low expectations. That sometimes helps. Ended up both my wife and I liked the film. I agree with some other posters that there was a lot of sound, so much so that it became an assault on the senses. Other than that, I did like it. It sure is nice to see the Dolby Atmos come up on the receiver, need more of that.

I was given a copy to view so that was a nice plus so I didn't have to pay. I am very impressed with Ralph's reviews. I have yet to come away from a movie and wonder to myself, what was Ralph thinking? He is spot on.
Thanks kkpro. I appreciate your comments and am pleased that you enjoyed Jupiter Ascending.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #76 of 131 Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to see, I am not the only that enjoy a popcorn movie for what it is
Looking forward to watch the "7th son" on my next days off

Ray
post #77 of 131 Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Glad to see, I am not the only that enjoy a popcorn movie for what it is
Looking forward to watch the "7th son" on my next days off

Ray
Greetings,

Sounds good Ray! I look forward to hearing your impressions of Seventh Son.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #78 of 131 Old 06-10-2015, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
My expectations were low going in, but the critics hated Chronicles of Riddick too and I loved that movie. On the other hand, I didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy that much, which was very well received. Sadly, the critics got it right this time IMO. This is probably the worst big budget movie I've seen in recent memory.

If I feel like watching a fun space romp, it's more likely that I will pull out The Fifth Element for the umpteenth time, than watch Jupiter Ascending for even a second time.
post #79 of 131 Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I watched it last night, like others I went in with low expectations as most critics gave it poor reviews, but I ended up liking it. Not a great movie, but not that bad. I do agree that the story/script was lacking a bit, but it was very watchable. I agree that the picture and sound was very good although I do agree with some here that the dialog at times was way too soft, found myself turning up and down the volume. I think Mila Kunis is a great actress and one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. Where did they find that pinhead that played Balem? Horrible actor, stupid character. Not a buy for me as I rented it and no real replay value. Just my $.02.
post #80 of 131 Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Where did they find that pinhead that played Balem? Horrible actor, stupid character. Not a buy for me as I rented it and no real replay value. Just my $.02.
It's hard to believe, but Eddie Redmayne won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything.

Funny Honest Trailer (major spoilers).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShAeafYCqxk

Last edited by Mikazaru; 06-10-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #81 of 131 Old 06-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Indeed, it was a funny one.
post #82 of 131 Old 06-14-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 762
What a mixed bag of a movie. There are moments of sheer brilliance, the walk through bureaucratic hell had me laughing. The beautiful baroque styling of the spaceships, the creature design, costumes, visuals, etc... just stunning. But then we get to the bad....while I understood the path of the plot, the delivery was just shoddy. Too much extraneous BS. Less is more you know. The dialogue.. OMG. Some of the worst dialogue I've had to suffer through this year.
Phrehdd likes this.

Looky here!
post #83 of 131 Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I liked it for what it was and went in knowing the reviews.
post #84 of 131 Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
On a whim, I decided to get this movie via streaming. I figured it would be a good way to pass a late evening before I retire for the night.

In this thread, I have read all sorts of comments and pretty much agree with a great deal of them. I admit I don't understand the draw that Mila Kunis brings (she always seemed just another actress but great for cartoon voice overs). Hmm to each their own.

For me, if someone told me the basic story line or showed it to me on paper, I would say it was a nice interesting view of a "big picture" with the Earth and population just being a commodity for a more technically evolved set of species that are just as base, primitive and capable of calculated cruelty (and in our case, a sense of cannibalism as humans are harvest by other humans).

What was amusing is that the presentation via character and dialogue appeared almost to be a mishmash or playing homage to several other films and fails in the process. When our lead villain travels between being something we might see in Dune to Lord Voldemort of Harry Potter fame (with that pained wispy voice) to moments I thought I was watching 5th Element, Blade Runner and well make your own list.

I'll just some it up this way as I have often commented to a few friends - sometimes the wrong part of the story makes it to the screen. Here is something to think about, the story could have been entirely from the PoV of the "hero" and his inner and of course outer struggles. The story could have skipped entirely Mila's character and her savior and be told from the Royal Family's PoV. So, if we are to have Mila's character as the main character - what exactly does this character bring to the table and how can it unfold the story in a less than formula way or if formula, provide at least some level of uniqueness.

I can't help but recall the commercial for the British mini-series of yore, I, Claudius. "This is the story of a family business, the business of running the world."
Ralph Potts and robnix like this.
post #85 of 131 Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Watched it over the weekend from the 3d channel on DirecTV, enjoyed it enough that I'll probably buy it on BR in the near future, like some the difference in the audio was a bit distracting, I thought even more so than Interstellar, but that could have been simply because I didn't feel as invested in the actual nuances of the story, with this it felt like as long a I got the overall gist of the film that was all I needed.
But yes, the audio and visuals of the film were enough to make my consider buying it.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #86 of 131 Old 06-18-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Watched this one last night with modest expectations, and even so still came away a bit disappointed. I always look forward to the Wachowskis take on things, and usually they deliver something fresh and interesting. This one was overly predictable, IMO, and it felt as if they cherry picked scenes and/or concepts from various other sci-fi films and used those to put this one together. One scene from Flash Gordon was almost shot for shot

Looked great and sounded great...and love Mila...but overall I'd have to say it lost me at "winged dog vulcan".
post #87 of 131 Old 06-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I bough it today with the 3D version and look forward to input the disc into my Oppo. I bought without any advance information,  just the box I liked very much and we did not see it in the cinemas when it ran. I decided to read the reviews here before viewing and as I can see, opinions vary :-)
I hope a very pleasant entertainment, and give my opinion after watching after the holidays. Thanks to the opinions, I know now, what to follow!

Dreambox DM920 UHD, QboxHD, Qbox Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD / Sony KDL-46W 905A / Rega BRIO-R 600 & NAD C 320BEE /
Oppo BDP-105D / Synology DS213J / new Apple TV / VIP5305 Compact UHD IP Set-Top Box / Sonos Play ONE Stereo pair on Bedroom /
Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz /
post #88 of 131 Old 06-21-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Finally watched it tonight in 3D. I rather enjoyed quite a bit. Good 3D look, looked stunning on a 4k tv and a decently big sound behind it. I wouldnt mind seeing another part to it, I cant imagine Jupiter wants to spends the rest of her life cleaning toilets knowing she has control of the earth. Plus I wonder if shes willing to sustain her life by partaking in the nectar like the others do. Some part of me says she would have to, to ensure the Earths long survival.

There is very few films I dont like and this isnt one of them. Not a constant repeat watcher but good enough to own on 3D

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #89 of 131 Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 2951
Hi Rralph

Lets just say I got it for the Atmos mix and leave it at that