The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By IMAXAIDAN
  • 1 Post By film113
  • 2 Post By robnix
  • 2 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By Hagenstein
  • 1 Post By Hagenstein

post #1 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this family friendly big screen adventure that features the popular characters from the Nickelodeon TV show. When a diabolical pirate above the sea steals the secret Krabby Patty formula, SpongeBob and his nemesis Plankton must team up in order to get it back.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 92 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Voices: Tim Conway, Cree Summer, Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Jill Talley, Clancy Brown, Mary Jo Catlett
Directed by: Paul Tibbitt
Music by:
Written by:
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 2, 2015

"Making waves in our world"

My Take:

On a mission to save his world, SpongeBob SquarePants is headed to ours for the first time ever! When pirate Burger Beard (Antonio Banderas) steals the secret recipe for the beloved Krabby Patties, SpongeBob and friends come ashore to bring back the missing formula. To succeed, they must team up with former rival, Plankton, but soon realize that to defeat a super-villain, they must unleash their inner superheroes.

I was well past the point of watching cartoons when SpongeBob SquarePants came along however my kids were big fans so I caught some of the show here and there on Nickelodeon when they watched it. Being more of a Looney Tunes/Hanna Barbera fan I didn’t wholly connect with SpongeBob SquarePants’ brand of humor but I have to admit to finding a certain charm in its characters and zany comedy. Watching The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water that same charm, frenetic humor and effecting buffoonery comes across quite naturally. I found myself chuckling aloud as I enjoyed the two staged adventure that first takes SpongeBob and Plankton on a brief trip through time as they attempt to recover the secret formula. Later they team up with the rest of the gang on a trip to the surface that pits them against the one responsible for the formula’s disappearance, where they unleash their inner “strengths” in order to retrieve it.

It’s all in good fun and features the type of action, adventure and character driven situational gags that fans of the show have come to love. I am not so certain that I would consider myself a convert just yet but had a good time with The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water. At 92 minutes it’s paced just right and makes for pitch perfect family entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action and rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

3D Presentation: 94

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps.

This film is a native 3D film that positively translates to Blu-ray. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is excellent as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or characters layered in the near field/background which creates an involving sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes as well as their correlation to the camera’s perspective. There are a plethora of sequences that provide a gimmicky and fun reach out and touch sense of dimension. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water makes definitive use of the 3D platform, both underwater and above, and emphasizes effects that are designed to elicit audience reaction via objects coming out of the screen etc. It definitely made the experience a bit more fun. Contrast is spot on, blacks are rich and colors are vivid and deeply saturated. The blend creates a visually dynamic effect. I didn’t notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk. This is an active 3D presentation that compliments the format and should appeal to fans.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail, music and entertaining use of the surround platform, all of which is readily handled by this terrific DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 channel mix. John Debney’s music sounds great and features articulated instrumentation that smoothly integrates with the vocal performances and sound effects. Dialogue is definitively reproduced with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films room traversing sounds. Low frequency effects are not subterranean but there is ample bass response present where appropriate. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that is clearly audible even during active sequences. I found this to be a balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this entertaining family film.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps.

This video presentation features crisp, defining resolution that yields razor sharp and stable images that look great in high definition. The secondary pastel color palette has excellent tonal depth and primary colors are deeply saturated and visually pleasing. The deep reds, energetic blues, and underwater backgrounds pop quite nicely. The live action segments feature bold use of contrast which minimally overdrive whites but brightness levels are right on target which results in punchy blacks. Fleshtones are a bit sun splashed but fall in line with the film’s visual style. The 1.78:1 framing, deep splashes of color, rich blacks and razor sharpness all enhance the depth of image. It looks great.

Bonus Features:
  • The Sponge Movie: Sponge out of water (3D)
  • Deleted scene (3D)
  • The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of water (2D) (plus bonus features)
  • (HD) On the Surface (6 featurettes totaling 32 minutes):
    1. SpongeBob SquarePants: Out of His World
    2. When I Grow Up, I Want to Make Funny Sounds
    3. Becoming Burger Beard
    4. Making the Burger Mobile Chase Sequence
    5. It’s Hip to Be SquarePants
    6. A Day in the Life of a Sponge
  • (HD) Underwater Awesomeness (4 segments totaling 19 minutes):
    1. Plankton Rules the World!
    2. Bikini Bottom Confidential: Rock Stars of the Sea
  • International Sponge of Mystery
    1. Meet Bubbles
    2. The Speech
  • (HD) Bikini Bottom Boogie (4 segments):
    1. Thank Gosh It’s Monday
  • SpongeBob Sing-Alongs:
    1. Thank Gosh It’s Monday
    2. Teamwork
    3. Theme Song/Rap Battle
  • (HD)“Squeeze Me” Music Video by N.E.R.D.
  • (HD) 14 Deleted/Extended/Alternate/Test Scenes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of water brings the gang from Bikini Bottom to the big screen for a fun family adventure that makes for an entertaining experience for fans of the show. Paramount Home Entertainment brings it to Blu-ray in this three disc Combo Package that boasts excellent high definition audio/video and an entertaining 3D presentation that enhances the experience. Add to that a complimentary assortment of bonus supplements including Blu-ray Disc exclusives and you have a rewarding offering that is sure to put a smile on the SpongeBob fans in your house.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Aetherhole likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 06-01-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the review! Your 3d blu ray reviews always help me on whether to buy the movie in 3d or not. I'm looking forward watching this movie in 3d.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by IMAXAIDAN; 05-28-2015 at 07:19 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Damn. I was planning on a pass for this one. But native 3D that takes advantage of the format?? How can I refuse? Mr Potts, can you opine if Sponge Bob exceeds the 3D of MR PEABODY? (super 3D on that one, IMHO)
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Damn. I was planning on a pass for this one. But native 3D that takes advantage of the format?? How can I refuse? Mr Potts, can you opine if Sponge Bob exceeds the 3D of MR PEABODY? (super 3D on that one, IMHO)
Greetings,

Unfortunately I can't elaborate on the comparison between this and Mr. Peabody and Sherman as I haven't seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
OMG. I truly can't believe this review. This was hands down the worst movie I have EVER seen. And I've seen a lot of movies. We saw this one in the theater and even my kids wanted to leave a third of the way through the movie.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
OMG. I truly can't believe this review. This was hands down the worst movie I have EVER seen. And I've seen a lot of movies. We saw this one in the theater and even my kids wanted to leave a third of the way through the movie.
That's what makes art so fascinating. So many varied takes on the same work. And actually, this movie was critically well liked. Go figure! :-)
post #7 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... lives in a Pineapple and is shown in 3D! Spongebob Squarepants!

I can't wait.
Ralph Potts and turls like this.

Looky here!
post #8 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Haven't actively watched this yet, but skimmed through it and was surprised how long it took for the "real live" footage to start. I thought that was the biggest draw of the movie from an A/V standpoint from the trailer. The cartoon portions did look really good and well done however.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Ralph I'm putting in a buy on this one right now, as it will make a perfect outdoor movie night come August here in Michigan.
Will be a good test to my DIY Fusion-8 waveguides outside, they are very efficient, below from 2011 another great family movie.
Ralph Potts and superleo like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
Greetings,

Awww c'mon..it wasn't THAT bad.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
...Mr Potts, can you opine if Sponge Bob exceeds the 3D of MR PEABODY? (super 3D on that one, IMHO)
Comparing the theatrical showing of this SpongeBob film with the 3D Blu Ray of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, I would say The SpongeBob Movie is almost on par with Mr. Peaboady most of the time, and equal to it some of the time. The 3D is very good in it.

One caveat, and I don't think the following is a spoiler but I'll enclose in tags anyway:
Spoiler!

The above aside, I would compare the underwater/cell animation style portions to Disney's 3D conversions of Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, with the quality being somewhere between the two (closest to Beauty And The Beast though). They did a great job adding depth, shape, and even roundness in many scenes where one would expect more of a pop-up storybook look. The on-land scenes are mostly on par with Mr. Peabody, excepting Mr. Peabody's time-warp scenes... those set a very high bar I haven't seen surpassed as of yet.

The film itself felt almost like a SpongeBob reboot, re-introducing characters' quirks and motivations and prior used plot devices that are already going to be familiar to those that have watched more than a few episodes of Nickelodeon's long-running favorite. That didn't stop me or my 6yo daughter from enjoying it - and there were some laugh-out-loud moments. It just made it seem not as fresh or new as I would have liked. I'll still be picking it up day one if that says anything.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
...was surprised how long it took for the "real live" footage to start.
I agree and this is essentially what I mention in my "spoiler". I feel if the trailers hadn't emphasized the out-of-water sequences soooo much I might have had more accurate expectations and enjoyed it more. I'll sea how it fares (sorry, couldn't resist) upon second viewing.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-30-2015, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I was about 12 in 1999/2000 when Spongebob first came on the air, right in the target demographic. My friends and I still get a laugh every now and then talking about certain episodes. My brother who's about six years older than me never watched it until he had his first kid about three years ago. Now he loves it. My wife and I are generally fans of cartoons so this one will probably be a RedBox night in the future.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #14 of 20 Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenstein View Post
One caveat, and I don't think the following is a spoiler but I'll enclose in tags anyway:
Spoiler!

I'm only going by memory here, but didn't the first BOB movie take place almost entirely in the "real" world? If so, maybe they just didn't want to repeat that entirely. I'm not necessarily a fan of this character (and I don't have kids) so I'll be getting this just for the (apparently) excellent 3D. It will do until 3D RARITIES comes out in a couple weeks.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
I'm only going by memory here, but didn't the first BOB movie take place almost entirely in the "real" world? If so, maybe they just didn't want to repeat that entirely. I'm not necessarily a fan of this character (and I don't have kids) so I'll be getting this just for the (apparently) excellent 3D. It will do until 3D RARITIES comes out in a couple weeks.
No, only about 10 minutes near the end.

Looky here!
post #16 of 20 Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a quick question pertaining to the non-3D disc of this movie. I noticed that the ads and trailers prior to the main menu looked to be in standard definition. Has anyone else noticed this as well?? The actual movie itself was in hi-def but I thought it was odd that the content in the trailers was of such poor quality. Just curious and thought I'd ask here.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-05-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
I have a quick question pertaining to the non-3D disc of this movie. I noticed that the ads and trailers prior to the main menu looked to be in standard definition. Has anyone else noticed this as well?? The actual movie itself was in hi-def but I thought it was odd that the content in the trailers was of such poor quality. Just curious and thought I'd ask here.
Greetings,

I don't recall them being in SD Mark. I will take a quick look later and report back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 20 Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Comparing the theatrical showing of this SpongeBob film with the 3D Blu Ray of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, I would say The SpongeBob Movie is almost on par with Mr. Peaboady most of the time, and equal to it some of the time. The 3D is very good in it.
I would compare the underwater/cell animation style portions to Disney's 3D conversions of Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, with the quality being somewhere between the two (closest to Beauty And The Beast though). They did a great job adding depth, shape, and even roundness in many scenes where one would expect more of a pop-up storybook look. The on-land scenes are mostly on par with Mr. Peabody, excepting Mr. Peabody's time-warp scenes...
After purchasing and watching this at home, I'm going to have to recant my ranking of this movie's 3D just a little. In the theater the 3D in this was great. At home it's utterly fantastic, yes, imho, surpassing even Mr. Peabody and Sherman on the whole (again excepting the warp scenes, and Mr. Peabody is still the better of the two films I think). This may very well have become my go-to 3D demo disk for animated fare. It's that good. And my second viewing, with more informed expectations for the ratio of underwater cell-shaded animation to on-land CGI-live-action mixed scenes, was more enjoyable than the first. Several little jokes and gags I hadn't noticed the first time around. Anyhow, not the first time the 3D experience at home has been superior to a theatrical one for me.

Have to agree with Ralph's review on this one; recommended for Spongebob and/or 3D fans.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-08-2015, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
After purchasing and watching this at home, I'm going to have to recant my ranking of this movie's 3D just a little. In the theater the 3D in this was great. At home it's utterly fantastic, yes, imho, surpassing even Mr. Peabody and Sherman on the whole (again excepting the warp scenes, and Mr. Peabody is still the better of the two films I think). This may very well have become my go-to 3D demo disk for animated fare. It's that good. And my second viewing, with more informed expectations for the ratio of underwater cell-shaded animation to on-land CGI-live-action mixed scenes, was more enjoyable than the first. Several little jokes and gags I hadn't noticed the first time around. Anyhow, not the first time the 3D experience at home has been superior to a theatrical one for me.

Have to agree with Ralph's review on this one; recommended for Spongebob and/or 3D fans.
Greetings,

Great stuff Hagenstein.

Thanks for posting your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #20 of 20 Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I don't recall them being in SD Mark. I will take a quick look later and report back.

Regards,

Ok sounds good Ralph. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page