X-Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 6 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By Kensmith48
  • 1 Post By thebesthereis
  • 1 Post By gonzalc3
  • 1 Post By NorthSky
  • 1 Post By NorthSky
  • 1 Post By nickbuol
  • 1 Post By jdk504

post #1 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 5897
X-Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this all new extended version of X-Men Days of Future Past, that takes you deeper into the X-Men universe than ever before. Rogue makes her return as the all-star characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves and unite to battle armies of murderous Sentinel robots who are hunting down mutants and humans alike!

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13/Unrated
Feature running time: 131/148 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Halle Berry, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage, Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Nicholas Hoult, Anna Paquin
Directed by: Bryan Singer
Music by: John Ottman
Written by: Simon Kinberg
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 14, 2015

"Prepare to go Rogue!…Not really."

My Take:

This all new version of X-Men Days of Future Past adds approximately 17 minutes to the theatrical cuts runtime. The Rogue Cut primarily adds two distinct sequences to the film but incorporates a series of smaller and inherently less obvious alternate scenes (that may or may not necessarily coincide with the aforementioned added sequences). Since this has been deemed the “Rogue” cut I expected the additional material to add some sort of definitive element to the story’s arc. In reality it comes down to a fairly small narrative insert that added little (other than a way to bring the character into the story) but in no way detracted from the proceedings. I truly had no issue with that aspect of this version but truth be told it didn’t impact the essence of the film.

The other sequence had nothing whatsoever to do with Rogue and involved Beast and Mystique. Once again I didn’t find it added nor detracted from the narrative but enjoyed it all the same. The remaining additional scenes are littered throughout with some that might catch your eye and others so subtle you would miss them entirely. At the end of the day I think that either the theatrical version or The Rogue Cut works equally well.

The Rogue Cut includes both versions of the film as well as incorporating previously unreleased bonus material which his highlighted by a pair of audio commentaries that are well worth your time. As for which version is best to own I would say that depends. The Rogue Cut doesn’t include a 3D Blu-ray or the supplements found on the original release so if any of that is important to you (and you don’t already own the original release) than that is food for thought. The Rogue Cut will serve diehard more than casual fans and serves as more of an addition than standalone offering in my opinion. My overall thoughts on X-Men Days of Future Past remains the same. This includes the quality of the audio/video on Blu-ray. Here are my comments from the original review which still apply:

I saw X-Men Days of Future Past in the theater with my family and we all love it. The primary plot begins In the future, when an army of Sentinels are exterminating all mutants, as well as any humankind that either help or are sympathetic to them. The mutants known as the X-Men are essentially no longer a “group” but have banded together with other mutants in an effort to survive/evade the Sentinels using Guerrilla tactics coupled with the help of Kitty Pryde, who has developed the ability to project a person's consciousness into the past (allowing them to forewarn the group of pending Sentinel strikes). Pryde's group, Storm, Wolverine, Professor Xavier, Magneto, Iceman, Warpath, Sunspot, Blink, Colossus, and Bishop gather at a monastery in China where they develop a plan to send Wolverine's consciousness to 1973 to prevent Mystique from assassinating Dr. Bolivar Trask, the creator of the Sentinels. Current history holds that following the assassination, Mystique was captured, and her DNA was used by Trask's company to create the Sentinels, whose ability to adapt to any mutant power makes them almost invincible. Xavier and Magneto instruct Logan to find both of their younger selves and convince them to join forces to locate and stop Mystique.

This is the foundation of the storyline which predominantly takes place in 1973 but in sending back only Logan’s consciousness (his physical body remains in the future), which inhabits his body in 1973, the two time periods run parallel/co-exist as he struggle to achieve his goal and the group in the future struggle to stave off the encroaching Sentinel army. There is lots going on in the film as we get to see lots supporting plot devices that embolden the characters and thematic depth of the narrative. What I have always appreciated about the X-Men both in the comics as well as their big screen adaptations is their flaws, complexity and struggle to cope with their own humanity. That comes through so well in this film. Bryan Singer understands these characters and has a passion for the subject matter/material that allows him to convey this in an engaging, fun and dramatic way that isn’t overplayed but doesn’t feel glossed over.

The concept is perfectly executed and using Logan as the vessel was absolutely the right call. The script draws you in right at the beginning and doesn’t let go. The inclusion of characters/actors from the original film series works like a charm but it’s the characters and story arc from X-Men First Class that carries the day, providing the substance that pulls the film’s various elements together. In addition to that I found the new faces in Blink, Sunspot, Warpath and Bishop to be nicely done as well. I do have to say that the new character that I enjoyed most was Quicksilver. He owned each scene he was in with the springing of Magneto being one of the, if not THE, highlight of X-Men Days of Future Past. I really liked this version of Quicksilver, much of which is owed to Evan Peter’s portrayal, and hope that however he emerges going forward that it’s just as good. Across the board the performances were simply great but Jackman, McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence stood out. The film runs for well over two hours and is paced briskly but covers the bases. The special effects/action is entertaining and underscored by the strong performances and excellent direction. As a fan of the X-Men film franchise I would have to say that X-Men: Days of Future Past has risen to become my personal favorite. ‘Nuff said…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence, some suggestive material including brief nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

X-Men: Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

X-Men: Days of Future Past looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent high definition video quality that exhibits high level detail, defining sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional description. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and empowers whites without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine and faithful encoding that looks terrific on my big screen.

The DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix is equally impressive and sounds superb. This soundtrack runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialogue and soft music to dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. Dialogue rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Things start off a bit on the reserved side however it ramps up as the storyline progresses and culminates beginning with the stadium raising through to the final Sentinel attack. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving. Dynamics can be demonstrative at times as the active elements within the surround mix play with superior authority and fleeting deep bass transients (I would preferred deeper emphasis/resonation) that thumped nicely. John Ottman’s music score is carefully integrated into the sound design and is wonderfully detailed, acoustically transparent and three dimensional. This is an impressive audio/video presentation that essentially mirrored its theatrical one and will make for great demonstration material.

Bonus Features:
  • Theatrical and Rogue Cuts of the film
  • Audio Commentary by Bryan Singer and John Ottman (Rogue Cut)
  • Audio Commentary by Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg (Theatrical Cut)
  • (HD) Mutant vs. Machine – 52 minute featurette
  • (HD) X-Men: Unguarded – 30 minute featurette
  • (HD) Storyboard/Costume/Concept Art Galleries
  • Second Screen App
  • (HD) Fantastic Four Sneak Peek
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Like its theatrical version X-Men: Days of Future Past – The Rogue Cut is a rewarding and well executed installment that presents fans with an entertaining action/drama that compliments the X-Men film franchise. It makes its way onto Blu-ray in superb fashion and features top notch audio/video quality along with a decent assortment of bonus material that presents an inside look at the making of the film. If you don’t already own X-Men Days of Future Past on home video and are considering it, the choice as to which version to get will depend on how important the elements contained in each release are to you. As a diehard fan I am very pleased with this offering from 20th Century Fox and have added it to my collection alongside the Deluxe Blu-ray Edition. In either case I highly recommend that you add X-Men: Days of Future Past on Blu-ray to your video library.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-16-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I almost got this on Amazon yesterday. The mini-helmet bundle was $39, but ended up passing on it.

In any case, glad to hear the the extended cut added something.

Thanks for the Review, Ralph.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #3 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Great review, as usual, Ralph.

I do think you meant, though, that the mutants in the future are using guerrilla tactics....unless they decided to "go all Donkey Kong" on the Sentinels...
Ralph Potts, audiofan1 and DeadEd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Great review, as usual, Ralph.

I do think you meant, though, that the mutants in the future are using guerrilla tactics....unless they decided to "go all Donkey Kong" on the Sentinels...
Greetings,

Now THAT is funny! It reads correctly now..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I picked this up thinking it was a new release. After a few minutes into it I realized I already own the 1st bluray. This is just another attempt by the studios to make more $$$. It's a good movie but if you already own or have seen it I would pass on this latest offering. I wish I could return it for a refund.
thebesthereis likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
I picked this up thinking it was a new release. After a few minutes into it I realized I already own the 1st bluray. This is just another attempt by the studios to make more $$$. It's a good movie but if you already own or have seen it I would pass on this latest offering. I wish I could return it for a refund.
Ebay it or Craigslist it or gift it to someone on AVS Forum.

I concur with your assessment of the "DDMG" (double dip money grab) so prevalent nowadays from movies to video-games. Just release the complete version the first time.

Thanks for your re-review Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Thanks for the review Ralph. As a fan of this movie, I will certainly buy this version as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph. As a fan of this movie, I will certainly buy this version as well.
Greetings,

Sounds good Chris..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I too am having problems with this double-dip thing.

Having spent around $20 for the original Blu-ray already, I'm going to have to think twice about dropping another $20 for 17 more minutes. You know, the studio should just man-up and at very least offer the newer version at half-price to those that have already purchased it. Just mail in a copy of your receipt and cut out that little proof-of-purchase bar code on the Blu-ray jacket. So what about it 20th Century Fox?

Care to email that suggestion to them Ralph? Considering your position here at AVS, they might actually listen to you.

I must say it's an excellent movie, far better than the first one with the all new cast, IMO.

nx211

NX211
post #10 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Or better yet, just simply be able to go back to your original place of purchase, establish prior purchase through there own records, and then allow them to offer purchase of the new (added to) release at half-price.

nx211

NX211

Last edited by nx211; 07-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #11 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
No 3D, that's a tough sell. I paid over $33 (with tax) for my 3D version, so for 17 minutes more in 2D...I might as well pass on it...and wait for the $5 discount bin.

* Here's the original 2D version review: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28268922
dew42 likes this.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12578 Post(s)
Liked: 11750
MGO now has this movie in HDR for samsung tvs, and i can tell you the UHD and HDR versions are superior to the blu ray. (i downloaded both versions to compare). both versions are pretty awesome! the colors are great and the contrast is awesome. IMO the HDR version was easily worth the $30 bux even though i already own the blu ray. I did like the HDR version better, it was more "film like" but with better contrast/pop.

The rogue part itself was a cool little throw-in. Excited for the next installment with the young actors, they picked a good crew to carry the torch.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 07-16-2015 at 08:39 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Wow, that augurs very well for UHD Blu-ray coming up later this year.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
No 3D, that's a tough sell. I paid over $33 (with tax) for my 3D version, so for 17 minutes more in 2D...I might as well pass on it...and wait for the $5 discount bin.

* Here's the original 2D version review: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28268922
I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the 3D for this X-Men movie. Is it worth the purchase?
post #15 of 29 Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post
I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the 3D for this X-Men movie. Is it worth the purchase?
Me, I liked it, and in my book that's all it matters. ...The slo-mo scene in the kitchen with QuickSilver is pure awesomeness in 3D.

______

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NnyVc8r2SM
Barrettmr likes this.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 846
I wish that I could rent this somewhere. Not going to pay almost $20 for 17 more minutes of a movie that I already own... Not interested in streaming (I am a physical media snob that way), so I am probably screwed on ever seeing this version.
Djoel likes this.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This movie was a snooze fest. Bryan Singer did a great job on the original X-Men and X2 considering his shoe string budget. Matthew should have stayed on for the sequel. There were some good parts in DOFP, but as a whole there wasn't much action and I feel they could have done more with what they had. They had so many great mutants, but all they did was just walk through the 70's and make jokes. Xmen 1st class done by Vaughn is a excellent movie! I dread what Singer will do with the turd installment .. In the end, to each their own.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504 View Post
This movie was a snooze fest. Bryan Singer did a great job on the original X-Men and X2 considering his shoe string budget. Matthew should have stayed on for the sequel. There were some good parts in DOFP, but as a whole there wasn't much action and I feel they could have done more with what they had. They had so many great mutants, but all they did was just walk through the 70's and make jokes. Xmen 1st class done by Vaughn is a excellent movie! I dread what Singer will do with the turd installment .. In the end, to each their own.
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts jdk504. Sorry you didn't care for this one..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I agree the first one was much better.

Bottom line is a hero is only as great as his villian. First Class had great villians. DOFP had a dwarf and some robots. Not very compelling at all.
post #20 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1994 View Post
I agree the first one was much better.

Bottom line is a hero is only as great as his villian. First Class had great villians. DOFP had a dwarf and some robots. Not very compelling at all.
That is true. That is why I think the Iron Man films could have been better. I thought the first one was really good while the main villain was a bigger robot? The 2nd was worse since they recast Howard and the turd was 2 hours of him walking around in no suit lol!

Back to Xmen. DOFP was just bland and nothing to really get excited about. I hope the next installment they remedy the issues they faced with this version.
post #21 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts jdk504. Sorry you didn't care for this one..

Regards,
Thank you for responding Ralph! I enjoy your reviews that you do and usually will rent/buy the movies that you put up. I hope I didn't offend you since you gave this movie such high marks.
I respect your work and advice I just didn't really care for this installment.

Looking forward to many great reviews in the future!

Best,

Ken
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #22 of 29 Old 07-17-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Thank you for responding Ralph! I enjoy your reviews that you do and usually will rent/buy the movies that you put up. I hope I didn't offend you since you gave this movie such high marks.
I respect your work and advice I just didn't really care for this installment.

Looking forward to many great reviews in the future!

Best,

Ken
Greetings,

No worries Ken, no offense taken whatsoever. We can't always agree and I certainly have no issue with another's perspective. Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #23 of 29 Old 07-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My Favorite Xmen movie was the original , this one might be my new favorite one
post #24 of 29 Old 07-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I loved this one and bought the "Rogue Cut" on release day. If I remember correctly it was reported when the original release came out that the longer cut was on it's way.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-20-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Me, I liked it, and in my book that's all it matters. ...The slo-mo scene in the kitchen with QuickSilver is pure awesomeness in 3D.

______
I enjoyed the 3d version too. If this version was in 3d, I might be inclined up upgrade. but not going to buy it for a little more and not in 3d either

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #26 of 29 Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 PM

It is a bit like a music hybrid multichannel SACD of Pink Floyd well recorded. ...Then a year later or about, they reissue the same album on CD but with an additional 10 minutes (2 more songs) that were left on the cutting floor, or two different alternate takes/cuts.

Instead of having them included in the first release they waited for later on...to suck more money out of our pocket. ...FOX studios they love doing that.
And they know it will work; it always does with the most fanatic fans.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-20-2015 at 10:12 PM.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I enjoyed the 3d version too. If this version was in 3d, I might be inclined up upgrade. but not going to buy it for a little more and not in 3d either
Same here. Since the scenes were shot with 3D cameras, it's not as if the studio would have to pay for a 3D conversion of the scenes. It should have been included.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I didn't find this issue searching under Blu-ray Software here, or a general Google search.

I had a highly unusual audio error when watching the Rouge Cut version (bought brand new from Amazon this week) of this disc last night in my media room. For reference I am using an Oppo BDP-83 (latest fw), Marantz SR7007 and Epson 5020UBe (hard-wired). The only other disc I remember having troubles with late last year was (ironically) the first XM: DOFP via Redbox, but that was due to the previous Oppo fw and the "wrong disc" error message.

The Rouge Cut disc loaded up just fine, I selected the Rouge Cut and dts MA 7.1, and started the movie. Everything sounded just fine and balanced until just before the 4:00 minute mark when the Sentinels were drilling thru the ceiling. At that point the sound effects coming out of the surrounds got ridiculously louder, and any voices/action happening onscreen were nowhere to be heard from the front speakers. At first I thought my LCR amps (each driven by an Emotiva monoblock) might have shut down which has never happened before, but the amps were still functioning. Listening up close to the LCR speakers I could hear what sounded like the same music/sound effects coming out of the surround speakers, but at a much-reduced volume. I unplugged the Oppo for ten seconds, restarted the Rouge version from the beginning, and the same audio error happened again. Even my buddy who was over to watch it noticed something sounded wrong when it happened the first time - so good thing I didn't have more people over to disappoint.

So then I tried the Theatrical version from the disc with dts MA 7.1, and it played just fine all the way thru the movie. I sent an email to Oppo this morning documenting the above, so hopefully will hear back from them early next week. I did play the Rouge version on my everyday system just fine (Sony BDP-BX58, Yamaha RX-A810), though that is only a 3.1 system. But the voices/onscreen action were definitely heard.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening?

I know my Oppo 83 can sometimes have difficulties with Dolby TrueHD/seamless branching discs, so maybe it's time to break down and buy a 103D.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet

Last edited by mak99; 08-22-2015 at 03:41 PM.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 438
The Rogue Cut

Thanks for the review!
Although I enjoyed some of the non Rogue added scenes sadly one Rogue scene kind of messed it up for me, although I liked the concept the scene that really didn't fit was...
Spoiler!

Aside from that a nice addition.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1 , frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page