The Last Dragon: 30th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 7 Post By MIkeDuke
  • 3 Post By kamouflage
  • 2 Post By Phrehdd
  • 3 Post By totalownership
  • 1 Post By steve1106
  • 3 Post By EvilAlwaysWins
  • 1 Post By Djoel
  • 1 Post By Lethean
  • 3 Post By ALtlOff
  • 1 Post By Rootcanal
  • 1 Post By RochRx7
  • 1 Post By pab1219
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By audiofan1
  • 1 Post By RochRx7
  • 2 Post By rezzy

post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6120
The Last Dragon: 30th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this cult classic martial arts homage that follows Leroy Green (A.K.A. "Bruce Leroy"), who dreams of becoming a great martial artist like his idol Bruce Lee, as he searches for the "master" to obtain the final level of martial arts mastery known as "the glow." Along the way, he must fight an evil martial arts expert and rescue a beautiful singer from an obsessed music promoter.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1985
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 108 minutes
Genre: Martial arts/action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Portuguese/Spanish Mono
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
Starring: Taimak, Julius J. Carry III, Vanity, Faith Prince, Chris Murney, Leo O’Brien, Glen Eaton
Directed by: Michael Schultz
Written by: Louis Venosta
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 25, 2015

"Who is the Master…?"

My Take:

Berry Gordy’s The Last Dragon celebrates its 30thAnniversary by debuting for the first time on Blu-ray and tells the story of martial arts student Leroy Green (Taimak) who is on a quest to obtain the elusive all-powerful force known as “The Glow.” Along the way, he must battle the evil, self-proclaimed “Shogun of Harlem” – a kung fu warrior also known as Sho’nuff (Julius J. Carry III) – and rescue a beautiful singer (Prince protégée Vanity) from an obsessed video promoter.

The cult classic has been fully remastered in high definition for Blu-ray and features exciting all-new dynamic packaging art by acclaimed Mondo Gallery artist Gary Pullin, as well as the featurette "Return of the Dragon," a newly-created retrospective look at the making of the film, featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, including Taimak, Berry Gordy and more! Additional bonus features include commentary by director Michael Schultz and the original theatrical trailer.

It has been years since I have seen The Last Dragon. I have fond memories of watching it on cable TV back in the day. I remember enjoying the urban spin, martial arts and music track. Watching it today it doesn’t have quite the same appeal, but there is a timeless innocence to Bruce Leroy and a fun loving nostalgia that made it entertaining nonetheless. I also enjoyed seeing the likes of Chaz Palminteri and William H. Macy in bit parts like this early in their careers.

The Last Dragon is far from highbrow cinema but it’s kickin’ good fun and features a great Motown soundtrack, including music by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Vanity and DeBarge (performing their smash hit “Rhythm of the Night”).

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, martial arts action and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Last Dragon comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

According to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s press documentation The Last Dragon recently underwent a restorative process and the results are quite good. This film’s 1.85:1 framed high definition video presentation on Blu-ray looks terrific on my 100 inch screen. Colors are tonally balanced with inviting primaries, clean rendering and delineated secondary hues that all look terrific. Fleshtones are appreciably lifelike with discernible texture and natural depiction. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is noteworthy. Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual depth but most reveal subtle degrees of refinement and fidelity is never in question. While the film’s elements aren’t the type to yield razor sharp imagery resolution is excellent as the blend of interior shots and sets featured in the story offer clarity, detail and dimension that appear filmic and rewarding. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enlivens bright scenes and colors while maintaining an appreciable level of visibility and dimension during darker segments. Grain is present and appears undisturbed. Sony is to be commended on this gratifying and faithful high definition presentation that is sure to please fans.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 channel mix does a good job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has appreciable vocal character and above average room penetration. This is a more or less front oriented presentation that sporadically makes use of the surround platform. When called upon the surrounds are utilized for atmospheric extension while applied dynamics and mid to upper level bass frequencies combine to provide solidity that enhances both the music and effects. On occasion I found some of the low frequency effects to be somewhat unnatural (boomy) but otherwise the track didn’t sound over processed. In general I was pleased with this audio presentation and thought it complimented the source.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Return of the Dragon – 24 minute retrospective
  • Audio commentary with director Michael Schultz
  • (HD) Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:
Berry Gordy’s The Last Dragon is a cult classic that celebrates its 30th anniversary by debuting on Blu-ray for the first time. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring remastered high definition video, complimentary lossless sound and a pair of worthwhile bonus supplements that fans will enjoy. The Last Dragon isn’t a great film but that doesn’t stop fans from reveling in its spirited homage and memorable moments. This release is a must have for fans and in that light comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd and audiofan1 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Who's the master? Sho Nuff .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
This is interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I didn't know this was being released, thanks for the review! Will be picking this up day one next week.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Ralph I don't know if I would pick up this disc but might just rent it later. I admit to having a big smile on my face when I saw that you reviewed this movie and have to agree entirely with your take on it. It is a fun light-hearted stroll into the past with all the fixin's of the time (very dated which adds to the charm).

Thanks for the review. This is the type of movie I enjoy when it plays late night and call it that can't get to sleep guilty pleasure.
Ralph Potts and BasicBlak like this.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
Ralph I don't know if I would pick up this disc but might just rent it later. I admit to having a big smile on my face when I saw that you reviewed this movie and have to agree entirely with your take on it. It is a fun light-hearted stroll into the past with all the fixin's of the time (very dated which adds to the charm).

Thanks for the review. This is the type of movie I enjoy when it plays late night and call it that can't get to sleep guilty pleasure.
Greetings,

Thanks Phrehdd.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Ahh the memories. I was a high school kid living in the Bronx when this came out. I thought it was "ok" when it came out. I wasn't a huge fan of it or anything but it would be nice to see. I miss the 80's. The good and the bad, all except for the jerri-curls. I thought that was the STUPIDEST hairstyle ever to be put on planet. I'm not a "square" or anything (got REAL dreads going past my belt) but guys wearing jerri-curls was ridiculous to me. I'll give Michael Jackson a pass though, but only him.

This film has some entertaining elements to it. Tapped into the martial-arts thing that was going on in the "hood" at the time although it pretty much had died out when this film came out. From what I remember though the special effects weren't all that "special". lol Would be nice to see if that has improved any or still looks as low budget as before (or maybe more so now with the remaster possibly showing more of the flaws)
Ralph Potts, ImaStar and audiofan1 like this.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #8 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I remember catching this one night with a friend when we were just looking for something to do and being pleasantly surprised by the movie. I hate to say it but I liked the soundtrack enough to invest in the cassette (for the young like a CD....do they still make CDs???) and I am fairly sure I have the DVD (and maybe even the old cassette).

TMI warning: Even with karate and judo HR (elective) classes at the local junior college, I never could get the "glow". I miss the 80s when you could take a full load of "classes" (basket weaving, tennis, cross country running, bowling, movie appreciation, etc) for $200 at the local junior college. Today, my daughter's accounting book is priced at $356 with the rental being $109.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I didn't know this was being released either, I'll definitely add this to my collection as I already have the dvd version. This will give me a great reason to watch it again as though I never seen it before.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
25 years in Karate thanks to this movie. I watched this film over and over even copying some the moves. It was preordered as soon as it was announced.

Thanks Bruce Leroy
post #11 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I found myself skipping HS. school ,and finding myself inside a theater somewhere in Manhattan without knowing how I got there only to watch this film back in the day!

And it was tons of fun, would love to get a another crack at it with better perspective lol...

Thanks for the review Ralph.

Djoel
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Djoel; 08-19-2015 at 08:37 AM.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 99
So disappointed there's no 4K remaster and Atmos soundtrack.

Just kidding.

It's a real shame the audio scored so...average. I haven't seen The Last Dragon yet but I've heard it's hilarious. Now that I know there's a restored blu ray floating around I might have to check it out. I love good comedy and I love good martial arts flicks.
Phrehdd likes this.

post #13 of 24 Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Lol, thanks for bringing this to our attention Ralph.

A guilty pleasure of there ever was one.
dan4081, Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #14 of 24 Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Never heard of this movie, and watching that trailer just cracked me up.........

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #15 of 24 Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OoO! I want to peel this movie like a ba-na-na! Can't wait to check it out.
rantanamo likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ralph, are you a fan of the martial arts genre? Got any faves? Just wondering.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denon X4100W | Chane A5rx-C | Klipsch RW12d
post #17 of 24 Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Thanks ralph

Good fun and laughs,picking this up on tuesday.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
You gave me a time wrap moment Ralph, it's been so many years since I've seen this movie!
I remember in the late 80's seeing it on HBO while I was traveling for GM, launching the GM-10 Pontiac Grand Prix in 1988.

Decent flick back in the day.....

For some reason that also brought this movie to my mind, another 80's flick
The Brother From Another Planet 1984
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post
IF you're looking for some recommendations (not necessarily awesome Blu Rays) Jackie Chan's Who Am I, Jackie Chan's Legend of Drunken Master (a.k.a. Drunken Master II) is very entertaining (wife who recently got into martial arts loves it), Sidekicks with Chuck Norris and Jonathan Brandis, Best of the Best, Man of Tai Chi (-recent), Wheels on Meals (another JChan movie)
post #20 of 24 Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMackel View Post
IF you're looking for some recommendations...
If you're looking for martial arts films that are somewhat comical, I think nothing beats "Kung Pow! Enter the Fist" (2002). But if you want something more serious I think "The Raid: Redemption" and "Raid 2" are two of the best martial arts films I've ever seen.

But to stay on topic, I'll keep my eyes out for this and likely pick it up if it can be had for <$20. Lately I've been watching a lot of movies from the 80's and I remember seeing this one late weekend evening on cable - I just don't remember much about it though.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #21 of 24 Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
Looking forward to it Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
You gave me a time wrap moment Ralph, it's been so many years since I've seen this movie!
I remember in the late 80's seeing it on HBO while I was traveling for GM, launching the GM-10 Pontiac Grand Prix in 1988.

Decent flick back in the day.....

For some reason that also brought this movie to my mind, another 80's flick
The Brother From Another Planet 1984
https://youtu.be/kpgk2oz20Vc
Cool! Thanks Mike. I will have to see about checking that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
If you're looking for martial arts films that are somewhat comical, I think nothing beats "Kung Pow! Enter the Fist" (2002). But if you want something more serious I think "The Raid: Redemption" and "Raid 2" are two of the best martial arts films I've ever seen.

But to stay on topic, I'll keep my eyes out for this and likely pick it up if it can be had for <$20. Lately I've been watching a lot of movies from the 80's and I remember seeing this one late weekend evening on cable - I just don't remember much about it though.
I am a fan but not an especially devoted one. I like Enter the Dragon, The Chinese Connection, IP Man, and as mentioned above The Raid and The Raid 2, to name a few.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #23 of 24 Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You guys should def take a shot at Kung Fu Killer (released as Kung Fu Jungle in China)

One of Donnie Yen's releases this year.. it's stupid good.. the choreography is 110% top notch.

Ralph Potts likes this.

Denon X4100W | Chane A5rx-C | Klipsch RW12d
post #24 of 24 Old 08-21-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 811
This is not unlike Kung Fu Hustle, yet not quite as over-the-top. Still a fun movie, IMO.
steve1106 and Ralph Potts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 5.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page