I'll See You in my Dreams (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Orbitron
  • 1 Post By JWhip
  • 1 Post By JWhip

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
I'll See You in my Dreams (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out our review of this charming and eloquent drama about a widow and former songstress that discovers that life can begin anew at any age.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Blythe Danner, Sam Elliott, Martin Starr, Rhea Perlman, Mary Kay Place, June Squibb, Malin Ackerman
Directed by: Brett Haley
Music by: Keegan DeWitt
Written by: Brett Haley & Marc Basch
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 1, 2015

"Age is only a number…"

My Take:

I’ll see you in my dreams tells the vibrant, funny, and heartfelt story about Carol (Blythe Danner), a widow and former songstress that discovers that life can begin anew at any age. With the support of three loyal girlfriends (June Squibb, Rhea Perlman, and Mary Kay Place), Carol decides to embrace the world, embarking on an unlikely friendship with her pool maintenance man (Martin Starr), pursuing a new love interest (Sam Elliott), and reconnecting with her daughter (Malin Akerman).

I have been a Blythe Danner fan since first seeing her in Brighton Beach Memoirs back in the mid-eighties. I saw the trailer for I’ll see you in my dreams on another Universal title I had in for review and knew I had to see it. It’s a thoughtful and honest film that eschews conventional comedic and romantic themes that we typically see in movies about older generations. Instead we are treated to a wonderfully nuanced and bittersweet story built around a strong female character in the throw of advancing age, who has known her share of loss and has rarely ventured far outside of her comfort zone. What we come to find is that Carol’s seemingly reclusive nature shouldn’t be construed to mean that there isn’t a desirable, funny and complex woman waiting just beneath the surface.

I’ll see you in my dreams is a story about breaking down barriers, barriers built over time that can reduce life’s luster, leaving only remnants and distant memories. I loved the narrative’s framing as it is made up of a series of engaging moments, appropriate situational humor and fly on the wall perspective that peel away the layers of its protagonist in a meaningful and touching way. Blythe Danner is absolutely marvelous. If you didn’t watch this film for any other reason other than to see her Karaoke of “Cry me a river” it would be worth it. I enjoyed her chemistry with Same Elliott but found her scenes with Matt Starr to be even better.

I watched I’ll see you in my dreams with my wife and we both found it to be a charming, spirited and intelligently written drama that was made all the better by its well-chosen cast and their respective performances. I can’t recommend it enough for genre fans.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual material. drug use and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

I’ll see you in my dreams comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition presentation that is on par with most new release films that come to Blu-ray disc. It boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, warm, well saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are stable with good dynamic range and punch when onscreen with mixed light/dark elements. Visual perspective in low/uneven lighting is estimable which enhances dimensionality. Images onscreen are dynamic, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the film’s source material.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack is above average for a dialogue driven film like this and features lively dynamics, clearly articulated dialogue, in an open sounding and airy presentation. The film’s music is spread over the entire system with primary instrumental focus being delivered by the front three channels with ambient extension bled to the surround speakers. I thought this surround mix was perfectly suited for the film and sounded wonderful.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) A look inside I’ll see you in my dreams – 3 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

I’ll see you in my dreams is a charming, spirited and intelligently written drama that is complimented by its well-chosen cast and their respective performances. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring sparkling high definition video and crystal clear lossless sound quality. I thoroughly enjoyed I’ll see you in my dreams and highly recommend it for genre fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd and MichelleP like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Can't go wrong with a movie that stars Blythe Danner, she's delightful.
Ralph Potts and Phrehdd like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 745
You will have to put me in the opposing camp on this one Ralph. I saw it in the theater with my wife at a local art movie house that specializes in this type of film. My wife and I both disliked the film as did many of the patrons. The acting was good no doubt. However, I found the script to be rather disjointed shall I say. It was clear to all of us that the screen writer and director had no idea how to bring the story to a conclusion. The movie had very nice moments to be sure, some very funny, but no cohesive feel. The ending .... Don't get me started on that. Of course, as is always the case with movies and music, YMMV.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
You will have to put me in the opposing camp on this one Ralph. I saw it in the theater with my wife at a local art movie house that specializes in this type of film. My wife and I both disliked the film as did many of the patrons. The acting was good no doubt. However, I found the script to be rather disjointed shall I say. It was clear to all of us that the screen writer and director had no idea how to bring the story to a conclusion. The movie had very nice moments to be sure, some very funny, but no cohesive feel. The ending .... Don't get me started on that. Of course, as is always the case with movies and music, YMMV.
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Joe. I had no issue with the ending whatsoever and felt that it coincided with the flow of the film quite well. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you guys. My wife and I both really enjoyed it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am glad you and your wife did! In the end, that is all that really matters. It had the makings of a fine film IMHO if the director knew what to do with the material. My wife was in charge of picking the films we were going to but the weekend after we saw ths film, we sat through Mr. Holmes. So her selection powers were suspended. Thankfully, the next film was MI Rogue Nation! Thankfully, I am back in charge,at least of something! All the best!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
I am glad you and your wife did! In the end, that is all that really matters. It had the makings of a fine film IMHO if the director knew what to do with the material. My wife was in charge of picking the films we were going to but the weekend after we saw ths film, we sat through Mr. Holmes. So her selection powers were suspended. Thankfully, the next film was MI Rogue Nation! Thankfully, I am back in charge,at least of something! All the best!
Greetings,

When it was my turn to choose a movie it was MI: Rogue Nation and it turned out we BOTH enjoyed it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife enjoyed it too!