Dolby Atmos For Home Theater Celebrates its One Year Anniversary! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hold off installing that hardwood floor because soon you'll be asked to punch out holes in it for "Atmos Re-Floored XDDDDD.1" to have sound coming out of your floor to realistically reproduce footsteps in horror movies.

Then get ready for "Atmos: Wallet Assault" where the Atmos speakers and new Atmos receiver send sound frequencies so "enveloping" they disintegrate the cash in your wallet instantly without you having to get off your needy butt.

Thinking of getting that second subwoofer you don't need? Don't do it yet because "Atmos Sub" will make your entire floor a subwoofer by installing twenty subwoofers under it so that your feet can "feel" being in the movie.
pdasterly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Sound in video games have been object based for years, so as far as the PC market is concerned it wouldnt be difficult to incorporate a form of ATMOS, a lot of games already output in a dolby sound standard so yeah its possible.
I know that sound in video games is object based. The question is how they will get the Atmos out of the PC to the receiver. If an AVR needs it in TrueHD or DD+ to get the metadata, then your PC audio hardware has to be able to real-time encode to those formats. Unless the audio hardware is purpose-built for that, that adds audio latency. My point remains that on the PC, it's a far easier issue to tackle. They do say that you'll need an Nvidia or AMD video card with HDMI and updated drivers, which means they are presumably going to provide driver updates for those cards to enable DD+ with the Atmos metadata.

On the console side, it's a bigger problem... because neither system currently outputs either DD+ or TrueHD for game audio. It's a question of how to get the Atmos sound to the receiver, and neither console can currently do that. Perhaps it's something they can add in the future, but if it takes resources from other processes, you can bet that's going to be a REALLY low priority for Microsoft and Sony. If they have enough extra processing in their DSP solutions, perhaps it's doable. I know Microsoft's Tensilica solution has some overhead and can be reprogrammed as needed, but again the question is whether it will be worth it for such a niche market... and whether game devs would even support it if it takes more system resources to do so.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #63 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
I know that sound in video games is object based. The question is how they will get the Atmos out of the PC to the receiver. If an AVR needs it in TrueHD or DD+ to get the metadata, then your PC audio hardware has to be able to real-time encode to those formats. Unless the audio hardware is purpose-built for that, that adds audio latency. My point remains that on the PC, it's a far easier issue to tackle. They do say that you'll need an Nvidia or AMD video card with HDMI and updated drivers, which means they are presumably going to provide driver updates for those cards to enable DD+ with the Atmos metadata.

On the console side, it's a bigger problem... because neither system currently outputs either DD+ or TrueHD for game audio. It's a question of how to get the Atmos sound to the receiver, and neither console can currently do that. Perhaps it's something they can add in the future, but if it takes resources from other processes, you can bet that's going to be a REALLY low priority for Microsoft and Sony. If they have enough extra processing in their DSP solutions, perhaps it's doable. I know Microsoft's Tensilica solution has some overhead and can be reprogrammed as needed, but again the question is whether it will be worth it for such a niche market... and whether game devs would even support it if it takes more system resources to do so.
Well I know my dedicated sound card can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS and so on and has plenty of grunt to keep up but when I play games in my theater from my PC, I switch it over to output in HDMI to my receiver which is handled by my GPU which again has plenty of power to keep up, so I dont see it being much of an issue or adding much latency, so they either design a new chip for the sound side of the PC market that supports more than 7.1 channels or you output from HDMI to a dedicated receiver (more likely)...

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I know my dedicated sound card can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS and so on and has plenty of grunt to keep up but when I play games in my theater from my PC, I switch it over to output in HDMI to my receiver which is handled by my GPU which again has plenty of power to keep up, so I dont see it being much of an issue or adding much latency, so they either design a new chip for the sound side of the PC market that supports more than 7.1 channels or you output from HDMI to a dedicated receiver (more likely)...

Decoding isn't the question. It's a question of ENcoding, which takes more processing power. Hence the question about how they're going to encode it to transfer it to the AVR. But we'll see how it's handled.
kitti likes this.

post #65 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
Decoding isn't the question. It's a question of ENcoding, which takes more processing power. Hence the question about how they're going to encode it to transfer it to the AVR. But we'll see how it's handled.
on average the typical PC sound processing hardware can encodes up to 128 independently recorded sound bites to generate the given in that moment sound field as your play and this has been the norm for 15 years, so I dont see it as a matter of processing power anymore. Just a matter of getting people to use the concept and program for it, the power is there just need the adoption of such to kick in.
helvetica bold likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #66 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
But, I was glad to learn that Star Wars Battlefront will be Atmos compatible! I can't wait to try it in that format...

It would be better if Disney would re-release the entire Star Wars saga, on Blu-ray, with Atmos tracks and mastered in 4K.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9Ch. Network Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #67 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
It would be better if Disney would re-release the entire Star Wars saga, on Blu-ray, with Atmos tracks and mastered in 4K.
May the force be with us all.
kitti likes this.
post #68 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
on average the typical PC sound processing hardware can encodes up to 128 independently recorded sound bites to generate the given in that moment sound field as your play and this has been the norm for 15 years, so I dont see it as a matter of processing power anymore. Just a matter of getting people to use the concept and program for it, the power is there just need the adoption of such to kick in.

You know, of course, that what you just said has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of processing power it would take to encode a TrueHD track with Atmos in realtime though, right? We're not questioning the ability to steer sounds on the PC. That's a given. It's the encode to a format that an AVR can decode for Atmos that is the question.
kitti likes this.

post #69 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Dolby Atmos For Home Theater Celebrates its One Year Anniversary!

stacey spears worked on the Xbox One video processing confirmed that Atmos and even HDR is possible on consoles. Microsoft just needs the license to move forward with it. I'm sure a large firmware update would be involved. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1

Last edited by helvetica bold; 08-29-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #70 of 78 Old 08-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I definitely think the Atmos mixes played back in 7.1 sounds different than a regular 7.1 mixed film. I didn't intend to jump on the Atmos train so soon but after ordering a Marantz SR-7008 that came in with a blown amp Marantz sent me an Atmos enabled SR-7009. What are the chances Marantz issues a firmware upgrade for dts:X for the 7009?

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #71 of 78 Old 08-30-2015, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I definitely think the Atmos mixes played back in 7.1 sounds different than a regular 7.1 mixed film. I didn't intend to jump on the Atmos train so soon but after ordering a Marantz SR-7008 that came in with a blown amp Marantz sent me an Atmos enabled SR-7009. What are the chances Marantz issues a firmware upgrade for dts:X for the 7009?

Greetings,

Unfortunately the 7009 will not receive the DTS:X upgrade. Sorry about that, but you can certainly take advantage of Atmos and DSU...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #72 of 78 Old 08-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
Thinking of getting that second subwoofer you don't need? Don't do it yet because "Atmos Sub" will make your entire floor a subwoofer by installing twenty subwoofers under it so that your feet can "feel" being in the movie.
It's called a tactile transducer, and they are great!
I don't know how much an "Atmos Enabled" tactile transducer would cost, though. At least 2x more for lower performance, to be sure.
post #73 of 78 Old 09-03-2015, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
stacey spears worked on the Xbox One video processing confirmed that Atmos and even HDR is possible on consoles. Microsoft just needs the license to move forward with it. I'm sure a large firmware update would be involved. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking that the consoles hardware is more than capable, they probably just require firmware updates to enable Atmos/DTSX support.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #74 of 78 Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Unfortunately the 7009 will not receive the DTS:X upgrade. Sorry about that, but you can certainly take advantage of Atmos and DSU...

Regards,

This is why I'm waiting till all this mess is ironed out before upgrading my receiver (I'm about due for an upgrade anyway) Maybe will buy in late 2016 or early 2017.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #75 of 78 Old 09-03-2015, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Any considerations of ATMOS or platforms, aside for the time being, Ralph, I believe you upgraded from a 7702, which is what I have now, and went to the higher level offering from Marantz. What could you say were the improvements in pure sound quality? I like a lot of things about my unit, however the treble region seems at times granular, "double-vision", tizzy, and/or lacking precision. Was that your experience, and was it notably improved with the upgrade? Thanks!
post #76 of 78 Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone with a older Sony player been able to play a blu-ray with dolby-Atmos and have the Receiver/AV Processor decode it. (In other words will the older Sony blu-ray player pass Dolby Atmos to a receiver to be decoded)

Thanks
post #77 of 78 Old 10-02-2015, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal7of9 View Post
Has anyone with a older Sony player been able to play a blu-ray with dolby-Atmos and have the Receiver/AV Processor decode it. (In other words will the older Sony blu-ray player pass Dolby Atmos to a receiver to be decoded)

Thanks

I have tried a Denon 2500BTCI ( Transport player very old ) and a Sony BDP 5000ES and no issues playing Atmos on my Marantz AV 8802A

Frank

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #78 of 78 Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I have tried a Denon 2500BTCI ( Transport player very old ) and a Sony BDP 5000ES and no issues playing Atmos on my Marantz AV 8802A

Frank
Thanks

Sal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page