The Age of Adaline (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Jeremy Anderson
  • 2 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By thebland
  • 1 Post By EPlay
  • 2 Post By Jeremy Anderson
  • 1 Post By NorthSky
  • 1 Post By blastermaster
  • 1 Post By marky301067
  • 2 Post By blastermaster
  • 1 Post By gonzalc3
  • 1 Post By blazar
  • 1 Post By Phrehdd

post #1 of 27 Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 5992
The Age of Adaline (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Ralph Potts reviews this tale about a young woman, born at the turn of the 20th century, who is rendered ageless after an accident.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: LionsGate - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 113 minutes
Genre: Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Blake Lively, Michiel Huisman, Kathy Baker, Harrison Ford, Ellen Busstyn
Directed by: Lee Toland Krieger
Music by: Rob Simonsen
Written by: J. Mills Goodloe, Salvador Paskowitz
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 8, 2015

"The world has changed in the last century. Adaline has not. "

My Take:

After miraculously remaining 29 years old for almost eight decades following a near death experience, Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively) has lived a solitary existence, never allowing herself to get close to anyone who might reveal her secret. But a chance encounter with charismatic philanthropist Ellis Jones (Michiel Huisman) reignites her passion for life and romance. When a weekend with his parents (Harrison Ford and Kathy Baker) threatens to uncover the truth, Adaline makes a decision that will change her life forever.

As I began watching The Age of Adaline I reminded of similar fantasies such as "The curious case of Benjamin Button" and "The time travelers wife". The narrative here is bereft of the thematic impact of those films perhaps however its heart is firmly in the right place. This is a visionary tale with a sweeping romantic tone as its center, which I found to be entertaining. Eschewing language, violence and sexuality, The Age of Adaline stands its ground as a whimsical and good natured tale that shouldn't be over scrutinized but taken within the context of its spirit.

I found the performances by Harrison Ford and Blake Lively to be the standouts although truth be told, I enjoyed the cast as an ensemble. I suspect that The Age of Adaline will probably strike a chord more so with romantics, but it has enough going for it to make for a watchable film on date night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for a suggestive comment and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 84

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Age of Adaline comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This film’s elements aren’t lent to overly vibrant colors and high gloss video quality. Images tend to lean toward sepia toned chromatic elements and teal splashed grading that provide the look that the filmmakers strive for to drive the story’s elements. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting sequences which gave those scenes better visual depth. Stable contrast and black levels allow scenes containing mixed content to appear dynamic with punchy dark highlights. Detail is rendered quite well with crisp textures and definitive resolution that brings forth subtle nuance within images onscreen. Colors are limited to darker tones with occasional splashes of vivid hues which stand out nicely against the film’s dark visual aesthetic.

The high resolution Dolby TrueHD 7.1 sound has excellent dynamic range and detail. Dialogue is articulately reproduced through the center channel and maintains a position of prominence within the front soundstage. This isn’t an aggressive surround mix but when applied the surround channels generate plenty of atmosphere and discrete sounds. Front and rear channel imaging is spot on as details and spatial cues, such as though used for near field effect during the car accident sequences, mate perfectly with the events transpiring onscreen. Low frequency effects are meaty and provide palpable richness to the music score and impactful sounds. I found this to be an entertaining and complimentary audio presentation.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the less aggressive variety but considering the source material that’s not a complete surprise. Its use of audio objects placed above is limited to atmospherics and occasional panning fills. This is done to good effect when implemented and created an enriching level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Examples can be found during the car accident in the first act. The entire soundstage is used to place you inside the vehicle as it tumbles down an embankment before landing in the water below. Later the sounds of pouring rain fill the listening area as Adaline walks along the street with her umbrella. The music score is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. While this mix doesn’t make constant use of discretely placed audio objects , I found myself completely involved when it mattered and found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that absolutely complimented the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio commentary with director Lee Toland Krieger
  • (HD) A love story for the ages – 29 minute featurette
  • (HD) Style throughout the ages – 18 minute featurette
  • (HD) Discovering "young" Harrison Ford: Anthony Ingruber, an online sensation – 8 minutes
  • (HD) Deleted scenes – 4 minutes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Age of Adaline is a light, good natured visionary tale that while not cinematically perfect, proves entertaining, thanks to its beautiful crafting and solid performances. It comes to Blu-ray from LionsGate Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, involving Dolby TrueHD/Atmos sound and a worthwhile supplemental package. The Age of Adaline probably doesn't have mass appeal but I rather enjoyed it. When you're looking for a decent film on video date night it's a good Blu-ray rental choice.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 09-07-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
This actress, Blake Lively, she's pretty to look @, soft spoken, and well cast for that role, I think.
She reminds me a little of another actress...but her name escapes me right now.
And when googling her around...she is indeed a beautiful young woman.

The concept of the story...is the dream of every woman on this planet...to never age...and to remain young and beautiful, always, forever and ever after.
It's not a new concept, but it's Blake Lively. ...The cute/peaceful girl living next door.

This flick should be popular with many women.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-07-2015 at 10:04 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Thanks for the detailed review Ralph!
I plan on picking this up tomorrow.

Ray

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Something told me you'd appreciate the Atmos mix on this one, Ralph. For the genre, it's a surprisingly immersive mix. I appreciate this kind of sound design just as much as the over-the-top sound of Mad Max Fury Road or Jupiter Ascending.

As for the movie itself, it reminded me a lot of Winter's Tale, which I loved. Way better flick than I expected it to be.
MichelleP and Dave Vaughn like this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 27 Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have heard that the actor who plays the younger Harrison Ford character in flashbacks has an amazing knack for capturing Ford's mannerisms. (Some say he should be on the short list if Disney decides to do any spin-off Star Wars movies about young Han Solo.) What was your take on him, Ralph?
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I have heard that the actor who plays the younger Harrison Ford character in flashbacks has an amazing knack for capturing Ford's mannerisms. (Some say he should be on the short list if Disney decides to do any spin-off Star Wars movies about young Han Solo.) What was your take on him, Ralph?
Greetings,

I couldn't agree more. At first glance you would think that his features were GCI generated to resemble young Harrison Ford. He has it down pat, from the sound of his voice, to his inflections, to his physical mannerisms.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 27 Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
My wife and I watched it last night. We generally enjoyed it. I thought Blake Lively, though beautiful to look at (and a smoking hot body), really lacked depth in her acting. Her lacking performance reminded me another one dimensional actress, Claire Forlani in Meet Joe Black. Just a few facial expression and little dimensionality of her roles.

I Redbox'd it and only got Dolby Digital. Though it seemed apparent they spent time in the mixing studio making the car crashes really big in the sound field.

SPOILER BELOW!!

Another bothersome part of the movie was the very ending where she pulled out a stray, gray hair - obviously significant as it indicated she is aging again. But then the narrator has to come on and give a full-throated pseudo-science explanation as to confirm the aging process had again begun. It was completely unnecessary and almost offensive in that the director felt a need to confirm the obvious significance that she would grow old with her lover..
blazar likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
This actress, Blake Lively, she's pretty to look @, soft spoken, and well cast for that role, I think.
She reminds me a little of another actress...but her name escapes me right now.
And when googling her around...she is indeed a beautiful young woman.

The concept of the story...is the dream of every woman on this planet...to never age...and to remain young and beautiful, always, forever and ever after.
It's not a new concept, but it's Blake Lively. ...The cute/peaceful girl living next door.

This flick should be popular with many women.
As a woman who doesn't gravitate toward films presumably aimed at women (I detest the 2-word name given the genre), I was intrigued enough by the trailer to see this theatrically. I really enjoyed this film, mostly due to Blake Lively's performance. I'd never seen her in a substantial role before, but she had a captivating elegance.

As for the actor playing the younger version of Harrison Ford, I read he had been famous on Youtube for years doing his Harrison Ford impersonations. I looked them up afterwards and he's good in them. And of course, he has the physical resemblance and most importantly, that grin.

I'd eventually like to add this film to my collection.
ImaStar likes this.

Last edited by EPlay; 09-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-10-2015, 02:40 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dObUL3xUzk
post #10 of 27 Old 09-12-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Watched this one again last night. I gotta' say that this is one of my favorite Atmos mixes thus far. It's not a genre where you should expect the gee-whiz audio of an action flick, but whoever did this mix made outstanding use of some very subtle placement in the sound field. It's subtle when it needs to be and not-so-subtle when you'd expect (like the car scene Ralph mentioned). There was a point in the movie where I actually paused it because I thought something was going on outside my house... and it was just a really great bit of ambient sound during one of the scenes in the city. No, this won't be demo material to show off the obvious benefits of Atmos to friends, but if you appreciate the art of audio in movies, this is a pretty damn fine example of it. And moreover, a good example of how Atmos can add to the audio experience for all genres of movies, not just bombastic action flicks.
blastermaster and Ralph Potts like this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #11 of 27 Old 09-12-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 915
I saw this movie via on-demand, it was enjoyable but I felt given the deep subject matter they could've done more. The explanation given for the non-aging process was surprisingly not total nonsense, since telomeres do in fact control aging. Blake Lively does a good job she doesn't need to convey a lot of emotions. As a lady of that period she'd naturally be very reserved, though in some areas she was really quite forward

The movie reminded me of The Time Travelers Wife since it sort of deals with the same themes of scifi and love story across ages.

This must be every woman's fantasy - you're stunningly beautiful, at the perfect age and will never grow older, rich, intelligent, no obligations.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-12-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
She looks too old for that role. Back then when Gossip Girl started, I thought, she was supposed to be the mother of Taylor Momsen and the other chick.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 PM

She's only 28...and smokin' hot.
marky301067 likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-12-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
Watched this one again last night. I gotta' say that this is one of my favorite Atmos mixes thus far. It's not a genre where you should expect the gee-whiz audio of an action flick, but whoever did this mix made outstanding use of some very subtle placement in the sound field. It's subtle when it needs to be and not-so-subtle when you'd expect (like the car scene Ralph mentioned). There was a point in the movie where I actually paused it because I thought something was going on outside my house... and it was just a really great bit of ambient sound during one of the scenes in the city. No, this won't be demo material to show off the obvious benefits of Atmos to friends, but if you appreciate the art of audio in movies, this is a pretty damn fine example of it. And moreover, a good example of how Atmos can add to the audio experience for all genres of movies, not just bombastic action flicks.
I appreciate posts like this. I enjoyed the sound in Mad Max, but the sound in Ex Machina was equally impressive to me. It's not all about an onslaught of sound all the time, all throughout the movie - that becomes fatiguing and desensitizing. When quiet, ambient sound eventually meets up with aggressive surround sound, it becomes all that more engaging. It's like that with music.

I just purchased this movie, but sadly I found that when I set up my new amplifier I have the dreaded 60hz ground loop hum, so I have to wait until my isolation transformer comes in the mail in order to test this movie out. As much as I love action flicks, I really am a sucker for a movie with a love theme intertwined throughout it, and I feel like this is one I'm going to throw into my player time and time again.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I appreciate posts like this. I enjoyed the sound in Mad Max, but the sound in Ex Machina was equally impressive to me. It's not all about an onslaught of sound all the time, all throughout the movie - that becomes fatiguing and desensitizing. When quiet, ambient sound eventually meets up with aggressive surround sound, it becomes all that more engaging. It's like that with music.

I just purchased this movie, but sadly I found that when I set up my new amplifier I have the dreaded 60hz ground loop hum, so I have to wait until my isolation transformer comes in the mail in order to test this movie out. As much as I love action flicks, I really am a sucker for a movie with a love theme intertwined throughout it, and I feel like this is one I'm going to throw into my player time and time again.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Greetings,

Great stuff guys and I feel exactly the same. I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've taken care of the ground loop issue blastermaster.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 27 Old 09-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I totally agree with you, an amazing movie and a wonderful Atmos soundtrack in the most gentle way.

A solid 10/10 from me for picture and sound.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Audio Physic: Codex - Avanti - Orea centre 25+ / Paradigm: Sub 1 / Octave: RE 320 /
Plinius: Toko / Anthem: MRX 1120 / Oppo: 205 / JVC: DLA-X7500 /
Apple: IPad Pro 2017
post #17 of 27 Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I saw this movie via on-demand, it was enjoyable but I felt given the deep subject matter they could've done more. The explanation given for the non-aging process was surprisingly not total nonsense, since telomeres do in fact control aging. Blake Lively does a good job she doesn't need to convey a lot of emotions. As a lady of that period she'd naturally be very reserved, though in some areas she was really quite forward

The movie reminded me of The Time Travelers Wife since it sort of deals with the same themes of scifi and love story across ages.

This must be every woman's fantasy - you're stunningly beautiful, at the perfect age and will never grow older, rich, intelligent, no obligations.

I agree with you, this film can remind one of The Time Traveler's Wife. I for one enjoyed the Time Traveler's Wife much more. I felt the characters in this movie were a bit shallow and not developed well. I totally agree with you that given the subject matter of the movie, they could have explored it quite a bit more.

please check out my cheap UV codes for sale including Double Indemnity,
post #18 of 27 Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just watched this movie and I have to admit I really enjoyed it! This is a kind of story that just grabs you, it's so fascinating.

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 09-30-2015 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Removed Link
post #19 of 27 Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok I finally sat down and watched this movie tonight. First off, the trailers sounded absolutely amazing. That cartoon trailer...the song even in my legacy surround setup sounded like it was in front of and above me. Truly awesome.

As far as the movie itself goes, I am clearly a romantic as I totally loved this movie. Blake Lively in this role is a veritable angel - she draws you in like gravity. Seriously. I've got a few quips about the movie for sure, but as a whole I found it to be very entertaining and certainly worth multiple viewings. This is date night material, that's for certain. Grab your popcorn, significant other and a healthy amount of Kleenex and enjoy the ride.
Ralph Potts and Phrehdd like this.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Ok I finally sat down and watched this movie tonight. First off, the trailers sounded absolutely amazing. That cartoon trailer...the song even in my legacy surround setup sounded like it was in front of and above me. Truly awesome.

As far as the movie itself goes, I am clearly a romantic as I totally loved this movie. Blake Lively in this role is a veritable angel - she draws you in like gravity. Seriously. I've got a few quips about the movie for sure, but as a whole I found it to be very entertaining and certainly worth multiple viewings. This is date night material, that's for certain. Grab your popcorn, significant other and a healthy amount of Kleenex and enjoy the ride.
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thought blastermaster. I agree of course..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 27 Old 10-11-2015, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Great review Ralph! I just watched the movie and enjoyed it.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-11-2015, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Great review Ralph! I just watched the movie and enjoyed it.
Greetings,

Great to hear Chris. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #23 of 27 Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 880
I agree that the pseudoscience narration was not really needed... lightning did WHAT? to the lady's telomerases?

And the comet... wtf was all that supposed to symbolize...

It is obvious that she was being influenced by forces outside her "control" (deterministic universe) but then what else is new... there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo about comets, tides, lighting, and defibrillators.

They could have simply left all this immortality to pure mystery and let people use their imagination. The movie is basically a study about the curse of immortality. Interview with a Vampire was another example of this via the stagnating vampire characters.

It's a good movie overall but basically a PG version of interview with a vampire... without the blood sucking.

One thing is for certain, the human mind is likely too weak to not become bored/nihilistic if we were to "live forever". It is a useful thought experiment / meditation on coming to grips with your own aging and mortality. To ultimately see the cycle of life as a benefit and not a curse is very, very difficult.
Phrehdd likes this.

Blazar!
post #24 of 27 Old 11-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 217
Having a gap to fill in, I was looking for a movie and came back to the review here again. Given that I enjoyed the movie adaptation of Fitzgerald's short story (Benjamin Button), I think I'll give this one a spin too. If I am lucky, it will also have an excellent film score like CCBB did which I'll also purchase.

Hmmm maybe there is room for review of supporting film scores, Ralph?
post #25 of 27 Old 11-23-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a chance to watch it with the wife last night. I haven't seen her cry that much since watching The Notebook. I wasn't expecting much of a workout for my new Full Marty sub but there were two scenes in particular (both car related) that made my walls shake. I thought my sub was distorting but it was just the duct work dancing in the walls. Oh, and Blake Lively is still unforgettable. Wow.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 217
Saw the film this evening (finally).

This is a "nice" film. As Ralph stated, it seems to be reminiscent of Benjamin Button as well as the Time Traveler's Wife. I liked all three films but found this one to be a bit more formulaic. There really is nothing not to like about this film. - It simply is a "nice" film.

Without being a spoiler here - I am unsure the end of the film really fit. Perhaps I saw the main character's fear as something to be conquered and dealt with rather than the ending chosen. Oh well, at least I got a nice bit of scenery depicting past eras which I am a real sucker for in film.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3740 Post(s)
Liked: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

One thing is for certain, the human mind is likely too weak to not become bored/nihilistic if we were to "live forever". It is a useful thought experiment / meditation on coming to grips with your own aging and mortality. To ultimately see the cycle of life as a benefit and not a curse is very, very difficult.
True, but I could use at least a good couple hundred years to really get done all the things I want to do. Assuming I was stuck at about 25 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dolby atmos ~ 84 , dolby truehd 7.1 , frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page