Pitch Perfect 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Lee Weber
  • 1 Post By Nabs17
  • 1 Post By Aetherhole
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By fastoobern
  • 1 Post By Woobieizer
  • 2 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By gonzalc3

post #1 of 19 Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Pitch Perfect 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Check out Ralph Potts' review of this sequel that brings back the a cappella singing Barden Bellas squaring off against a new opponent.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Drama/Comedy/Musical

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS-5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Anna Kendrick, Skylar Astin, Rebel Wilson, Adam Devine, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow, John Michael Higgins, Elizabeth Banks
Directed by: Elizabeth Banks
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Written by: Kay Cannon based on the book by Mickey Rapkin
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 22, 2015

"We're back, Pitches…"

My Take:

Beca (Anna Kendrick), Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) and the Barden Bellas are back to pitch slap the world! After a scandal threatens to derail their last year at Barden, the three-time defending champs worry that they've lost their harmony for good. With one chance left at redeeming their legacy, they must face off against the toughest competition on the planet: German supergroup Das Sound Machine and fight for their right to win at the World Championships of A Cappella. It will take the power of sisterhood to find their voice and see what it takes to be the world's top pitches!

When Pitch Perfect debuted in 2012 I wasn't sure what to expect but after viewing it came away surprised. Here is what I had to say about it:

Pitch Perfect is as conventional a comedy as you will see both thematically and aesthetically. Taking a page out of the popular (or once popular) Glee TV series the plot here is college based and similar revolves around similar archetypes striving to be more than what most see as geeky nerds. On the inside the group struggles with issues both interpersonal and personal but as you might expect pulls together when it counts. I have no problem with conventional formulas as along as the characters are likeable and the narrative adheres to what works. That is exactly what you get here as the characters are well drawn and integrated via a decent script that contains some chuckle worthy moments, witty banter and several entertaining musical set pieces. I was pleasantly surprised to find Pitch Perfect to be a charming, contemporary comedy that made for a 90 plus minutes well spent.

Pitch Perfect 2 comes at you with essentially the same feel, which is a storyline built around a series of a cappella musical numbers featuring the cast. Unfortunately this sequel, which brings back all the original's cast, lacks the rewarding subplots and thematic balance that made its predecessor entertaining on several levels. Here the storyline is less interesting and adheres more to attempting to ply the audience with nonsensical slapstick than well rounded characters, romance and light drama. The musical numbers are typically fun to watch and staged nicely. The returning cast members fall right back into their respective roles and do well enough with what they are given to work with. As for the additions to the cast, I did rather enjoy Keegan-Michael Key in the role of Beca's recording studio boss but wasn't especially impressed with Hailee Steinfeld in the role of Emily.

Pitch Perfect 2 isn't a bad film, but as sequels go, it just feels like a rehashing with a mediocre script and heavy handed direction (sorry Elizabeth Banks!). My reaction to it would be best described as lukewarm.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for innuendo and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Pitch Perfect 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This film utilizes a variety of bright color schemes and emboldened contrast which augments its thematic tone. The results are complimentary as deep, oversaturated reds, and vibrant blues are capably offset by a lavish assortment of pastels that can be striking and a perfect match for the varied showcases and source material. Fleshtones are on the warm side but are tonally balanced and lifelike in depiction. Contrast is stable throughout and blacks are rich which enlivens both bright and dark onscreen elements. Resolution is strong as images have excellent depth and appreciable delineation with clarity that accents the fine detail in physical features and objects within the frame. Sharpness wavers here and there but fidelity appears intact. This is a pristine high definition rendering that looked terrific on my big screen.

The film is predominant dialogue driven however its musical set pieces make excellent use of the surround platform. Vocal reproduction both spoken and sang is clear, well intonated and prominently placed within the front soundstage. The front three speakers have an open and detailed delivery with appreciable channel separation and discernible directional correlation that enhances depth. Surround activity comes in the form of ambience and some discretely placed effects that effectively extend the soundstage. The music/performances have appreciable top end air, discerning detail, and smooth highs that are sibilant free and make for a toe tapping and pleasing listening experience. The occasional use of low frequency effects and extended dynamics offer robust bass and enhanced energy that accent the presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Bonus Song Performed by the Treblemakers
  • (HD) Extended Musical Performances
  • (HD) Das Sound Machine Finale Breakdown
  • (HD) Deleted/Extended/Alternate Scenes
  • (HD) Gag Reel
  • (HD) Line-Aca-Rama
  • [b](HD)]/b] Green Bay Rap
  • (HD) Elizabeth Banks' Directorial Debut
  • (HD) The Bellas Are Back
  • (HD) Aca-Camp
  • (HD) The Making of the Riff-Off
  • (HD) The World Championships of A Cappella
  • (HD) Snoop Is in the House
  • (HD) Residual Heat Internship
  • (HD) An Aca-Love Story: Bumper and Fat Amy
  • (HD) Legacy: Hailee Steinfeld
  • Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Elizabeth Banks and Producers Paul Brooks and Max Handelman
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Pitch Perfect 2 is a lackluster follow up to its more entertaining predecessor. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in a solid offering that features strong technical merits and a fan friendly supplemental package. I suspect that Pitch Perfect 2 will appeal more to diehard, than casual, "Pitch Perfect" fans. In that light I would suggest a rental prior to purchase.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 09-12-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I agree with your take. I loved the first and this one just didn't compare story-wise or musically.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
I need to see it...I love the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Some movies really don't need sequels.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #5 of 19 Old 09-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I liked the first one - up until they thought it was funny to let them throw up for a while. That was the end of me liking it.

This one was so embarrassing, by what they were singing, the name of the groups and yes: The producers want to tell us that in all of Hollywood (or at least their crew) there is not ONE German that could have told them that the sound machine in German is "DIE Sound Machine" and NOT "DAS Sound Machine"? I know, I know in English it's all the same; in almost every other language on the planet the article is important. After they (DAS Sound Machine) came on, I couldn't even focus on the rest of the movie anymore. I really wonder how that is even possible with a big budget movie like this?

P.S. That the entire German group would sing with a horrible German accent was also entirely un-necessary. Of all German groups that made music in English over many years I promise you that the singer from the Scorpions has the worst accent of them all. Now compare that to this stupid group Das Sound Machine.

Last edited by boguspomp; 09-12-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 73
SPOILER

I am still struggling to understand how they won with such a ****ty and boring performance. Ze Germans was WAAAY better.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Redbox rental for us, whole family loved the 1st one.
Interesting thing is besides my 3 kids; ages 9 & 11 boys and 13 year old daughter we now have a 16 year old girl German foreign exchange student until June-2016.
(Janine, a really sweet girl, loves soccer, singing. This is our 2nd time hosting foreign exchange student)

So I'll get her take on who should have won, the Bellas or the Germans .... and report back here .
post #8 of 19 Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Reviving this thread a bit - I just wanted to chime in. Generally, there is a lot of negativity towards this one and maybe it's valid; however, I was actually quite pleased with this film. The plot was quite forgettable (honestly pretty bad), but I most certainly found myself laughing out loud more with this film, compared to the original. Days later, I still find myself giggling about some of the things in the movie.

Elizabeth Banks set out to make #2 bigger in every way and I think she did just that. I loved the songs for DSM. Their productions were downright amazing, even despite their overt German accents. It helps that I am a big Muse fan and their cover of Uprising was a whole lot of fun for me. Their final song, covering Fall Out Boy's song was also pretty great, too, Even the numbers chosen for the Bellas were a lot fun, despite them purposefully making them overly flashy/busy. Although, my favorite sequence was the underground riff-off battles, by far. There was just a whole lot of familiar music and fun there.

Also, I think the Bellas final song won the audience and judges over because of the "heart" behind it. I can't say for sure that it was a better song, compared to DSM's, but it had even more connection with me.

Ultimately, the musical numbers in this film and humor are what I wanted to see most, and in that regard the film delivered. It may not be better than the first one, but I certainly had as much fun, if not more, with this one.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #9 of 19 Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Reviving this thread a bit - I just wanted to chime in. Generally, there is a lot of negativity towards this one and maybe it's valid; however, I was actually quite pleased with this film. The plot was quite forgettable (honestly pretty bad), but I most certainly found myself laughing out loud more with this film, compared to the original. Days later, I still find myself giggling about some of the things in the movie.

Elizabeth Banks set out to make #2 bigger in every way and I think she did just that. I loved the songs for DSM. Their productions were downright amazing, even despite their overt German accents. It helps that I am a big Muse fan and their cover of Uprising was a whole lot of fun for me. Their final song, covering Fall Out Boy's song was also pretty great, too, Even the numbers chosen for the Bellas were a lot fun, despite them purposefully making them overly flashy/busy. Although, my favorite sequence was the underground riff-off battles, by far. There was just a whole lot of familiar music and fun there.

Also, I think the Bellas final song won the audience and judges over because of the "heart" behind it. I can't say for sure that it was a better song, compared to DSM's, but it had even more connection with me.

Ultimately, the musical numbers in this film and humor are what I wanted to see most, and in that regard the film delivered. It may not be better than the first one, but I certainly had as much fun, if not more, with this one.

Greetings,

Great post! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on Pitch Perfect 2..

Regards,
Aetherhole likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 19 Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oct-20 redbox rental I'll post my family review after that. As a matter of fact my 13 year old daughter is planning a girls sleepover to watch the movie! So our HT will be packed.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Oct-20 redbox rental I'll post my family review after that. As a matter of fact my 13 year old daughter is planning a girls sleepover to watch the movie! So our HT will be packed.

Greetings,

Nice Mike! Looking forward to your thoughts..

Regards,
mtbdudex likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 19 Old 09-25-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wow what a detailed description of the movie and review thanks so much for putting the effort into this
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoobern View Post
Wow what a detailed description of the movie and review thanks so much for putting the effort into this

Greetings,

Sure thing fastoobern. Thanks for taking the time to comment..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 19 Old 10-11-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

I'm looking fwd to this!
mtbdudex likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Nice Mike! Looking forward to your thoughts..
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
I'm looking fwd to this!
The girls had a soccer game on Sat Oct-24th, afterward (3) 13 year old's joined my daughter to watch Pitch Perfect 2 and sleepover.
One advantage of having a HT, it's also a "space" where these kids can hang out and just be themselves w/o parents around, yet we know they are "safe".
Their morning after: . . The sleep in room . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . The breakfast (yea I cooked pancakes, bacon, sausages)
. . .

They started watching it at 11pm, I was sleeping by then....
Their words:
"good movie, the first one was better"
"I liked it"
"it was ok"

Now, I had watched it the night before with my wife and 2 boys.
My take: "a formula movie, lacking the soul and feel of the first one", I truly liked the first one. The whole "German thing" was over the top too much IMO.
My boys: "it was ok"

Definitely a rental movie.
Universal, please don't make a Pitch Perfect 3.

Ralph's review, comments, and scoring is spot on here.
Ralph Potts and Woobieizer like this.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
The girls had a soccer game on Sat Oct-24th, afterward (3) 13 year old's joined my daughter to watch Pitch Perfect 2 and sleepover.
One advantage of having a HT, it's also a "space" where these kids can hang out and just be themselves w/o parents around, yet we know they are "safe".
Their morning after: . . The sleep in room . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . The breakfast (yea I cooked pancakes, bacon, sausages)
. . .

Their words:
"I liked it"
"it was ok"

My take: "a formula movie, lacking the soul and feel of the first one", I truly liked the first one. The whole "German thing" was over the top too much IMO.

Greetings,

Great stuff Mike. Thanks so much for sharing..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
. . .

Their words:
"I liked it"
"it was ok"

Thanks for sharing that with us. In Ralph's interview with Scott, 1h5m35s
... and your HT concept is spot on for content delivery. Thanks for breakfast and a movie review.

Last edited by Woobieizer; 10-28-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-30-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I watched this movie a few days ago and couldn't agree more with Ralph's scores. Audio is not bad, but it is not great. In terms of the video, sharpness and clarity is not fully consistent.
I was hoping for something better in the audio dept.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
I watched this movie a few days ago and couldn't agree more with Ralph's scores. Audio is not bad, but it is not great. In terms of the video, sharpness and clarity is not fully consistent.
I was hoping for something better in the audio dept.
Greetings,

Thanks Chris..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 5.1 , frontpage