The Indian in the Cupboard: Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EPlay

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
The Indian in the Cupboard: Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this endearing family classic about a boy who receives a cupboard as a gift on his ninth birthday and discovers that putting toy figures into it brings the toys to life.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1995
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Hal Scardino, Litefoot, Lindsay Crouse, Richard Jenkins, Rishi Bhat, David Keith, Steve Coogan
Directed by: Frank Oz
Music by: Randy Edelman
Written by: Melissa Mathison based on the novel by Lynn Reid Banks
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 22, 2015

"Adventure comes to life!"

My Take:

An Adventure Comes to Life! The most amazing adventure is awaiting. Are you ready to unlock the secret? On his ninth birthday, Omri is presented with many gifts - the most unusual being a cupboard. But this is no ordinary wooden box. It is endowed with magical power that transforms Omri’s plastic toy figurines into living creatures. The first miniature to be animated is a 19th Century Iroquois warrior named Little Bear, who is terrified at first by his alien surroundings but soon bonds with his gigantic playmate. But when Omri’s friend, Patrick, gets in on the act and brings a six-shooting cowboy to life, their fantastic secret is in danger of being revealed.

Based on the novel by Lynn Reid Banks, The Indian in the Cupboard is making its debut on Blu-ray in this 20th Anniversary Edition that is newly remastered in 4K. Growing up I had a pretty vivid imagination, and actually still do, and enjoyed stories like the one portrayed in The Indian in the cupboard. I never read the book but my kids did, and when the film came out on home video (and later on DVD) we scooped it up. . I appreciate its simple and well-crafted story that incorporates elements that speak to the importance of tolerance, cultural differences and the transcendent bonds of friendship. It has been years since I have seen it but revisiting it during this review revealed that it remains wholesome family entertainment that has a timeless appeal. As with other films of its ilk I am sure that its fans will appreciate the fact that they can share it with their children looking better than ever.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild language, brief violence and mild thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Indian in the cupboard comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

Having been newly remastered in 4K for this anniversary edition release, this is a pleasing high definition video presentation that appears to render the film’s elements faithfully. Resolution is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and two dimensional depth. The film makes use of natural lighting that combines with its use of soft chromatic warmth to set the thematic tone intended by the filmmakers. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. There is a light veneer of grain that provides a mildly textured and film like essence.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack yields crisp, well textured dialogue that renders even subtle variances in tonal character or vocal inflections clearly. Randy Edelman's music score is featured throughout and exhibits high level detail, strident free treble and excellent soundstage presence. The audio presentation is delivered across the front soundstage with intermittent splashes of ambience through the rear channels that broaden the sound field. Surround use isn’t prevalent but atmospheric effects and occasional panning sequences create a believable listening environment that blends well with the front three channels. There isn’t a lot of bass associated with this soundtrack but the mix reproduces appropriate low frequency response in support of the recording’s elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) *NEW Little Bear: Return to The Indian in the cupboard – 13 minute featurette
  • From the cast of Goosebumps
    1. (HD) *NEW Goosebumps Sneak Peek
    2. (HD) Reflection on The Indian in the cupboard with Dylan Minnette and Ryan Lee – 5 minutes
  • Director's audio commentary
  • Archival making of featurette – 3 minutes
  • Theatrical trailers 1 & 2

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book by author Lynn Reid Banks, this anniversary edition of The Indian in the cupboard marks its debut on Blu-ray and allows fans to enjoy its timeless and heartwarming story looking and sounding terrific in high definition. This offering, which incorporates new and legacy bonus features, from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I've been looking forward to this release and glad to hear the technical presentation is very good. I haven't seen it in so long but remember enjoying it very much. Thank you for the review!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2015, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
I've been looking forward to this release and glad to hear the technical presentation is very good. I haven't seen it in so long but remember enjoying it very much. Thank you for the review!
Greetings,

You're quite welcome EPlay. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The title of this movie is no longer politically correct. They are renaming it The Native American in the Cupboard.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 5.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page