• 1 Post By Gov

post #1 of 16 Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5850
Cop Car Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this engaging and eclectic thriller about a small town sheriff that sets out to find the two kids who have taken his patrol car on a joy ride.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Kevin Bacon, Camryn Manheim, Shea Whigham, James Freedson-Jackson, Hays Wellford
Directed by: Jon Watts
Music by: Phil Mossman
Written by: Jon Watts & Christopher Ford
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 29, 2015

"Their first drive could be their last"

My Take:

A pair of ten-year-olds find an abandoned cop car in a field. When they take it for a joyride, it seems like they could kill themselves at any moment. But things only get worse when the small town sheriff goes looking for his missing car. The kids find themselves in the center of a deadly game of cat and mouse they don't understand and the only way out is to go as fast as their cop car can take them.

One of the things that I really enjoy about reviewing movies is coming across films that you expect little from, that turn out to be quite entertaining. Cop Car is just such and film. It's a small film both in scope and narrative it tells an overtly simple tale that proves quite engaging. The script, co-written by director Jon Watts, has the feel of a short story, eschewing upfront character/plot development in favor of an escalating plotline involving two unassuming boys that on a whim, opt to throw caution to the wind.

What follows is a grimly chilling, and at times, darkly comedic thriller that plays out via a tautly paced, moment to moment series of events that play out through to the end. I would rather not reveal any details other than to say that the story's suspense and unanswered questions are what helps to make it entertaining to watch. Seeking answers isn't the way to watch Cop Car. Instead just go with it and root for the outcome that you'd expect although you may not get it. This isn't a perfect film by any stretch, but that didn't keep me from enjoying nearly every minute. Kevin Bacon is at his dastardly best (mustache and all) and the two young lads that get the lion's share of screen time absolutely make the most of it.

For genre fans that enjoy a film that beats to the tune of a different drum, Cop Car is just the ticket.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, violence and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Cop Car comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

By design this film doesn’t boast vibrant colors are eye popping visuals but the encoding appears solid. Colors have a muted level of saturation and those used are rarely bright which give the perception of a limited palette. Overall they are naturally rendered and appear to fall within the visual range intended. Fleshtones have appreciable complexional distinction but the lighting used can sometimes leave them appearing flat and lacking in texture. Blacks are respectable with above average delineation. Shadow detail is quite good which enhances visual perception during the scenes shot in limited lighting. Resolution is adequate so that varying degrees of detail can be seen in close ups but the video isn’t razor sharp or dimensionally strong. It isn’t a bright film which when coupled along with the reserved chromatic scheme gives it a dull finish. This seems to coincide with the creative decisions of the filmmakers and results in stable imagery that lacks the eye popping definition that some may expect from a newer film.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio mix does a nice job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has discerning intonation and clarity which resulted in excellent vocal reproduction. Dynamic range is respectable, providing appreciable pop to louder sounds and detectable presence to lesser ones within the soundstage. The short exchange of gunfire in the third act has solid punch and appropriate low frequency emphasis. I didn't find this to be a remarkable audio presentation but felt that is supported the film's thematic tone perfectly.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Their first and last ride: The making of Cop Car – 3 minute featurette
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Co-written and directed by Jon Watt, Cop Car is a small film that tells a simple yet fundamentally gripping tale that is both engaging and entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring faithful and satisfactory high definition audio/video mated with minimal supplement offering that consists of a bland making of feature. Cop Car is far from traditional fare but its eclectic approach and visceral elements make for perfect fodder for discerning genre fans on the lookout for something refreshingly different.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
freeman4 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-25-2015, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I saw the trailer for this and it looked very promising. I'm glad you liked it and will now definitely check it out.
Ralph Potts likes this.

please check out my cheap UV codes for sale including Double Indemnity,
post #3 of 16 Old 09-25-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
My son and I saw this at the alamo with a live stream Q&A w/ Kevin bacon. Really like the film. Looking forward to buying a copy for my own br collection
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 528
The trailer for this caught my attention before it was released, and when I saw I was not disappointed. It's a much more adult and thrilling movie than I expected. Solid B+ for me. (And don't just go handing out As - this was good.)
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-26-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Saw this also, Ralph's score is accurate. I give it a cool 78 cause it was boring, however i'm jealous cause they got 2 drive a police car.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Went into this having never heard of it and expecting little from it. I was blown away. Awesome movie that will keep you engaged for the duration and every person I've recommended it to, love it just as much. Easy 7/10 on the IMDB scale.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #7 of 16 Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Rented the movie last night. Completely agree with Ralph's review. I too enjoy the road less traveled films.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
Rented the movie last night. Completely agree with Ralph's review. I too enjoy the road less traveled films.
Greetings,

Great! Thanks for posting your thoughts pkeegan..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 16 Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I really enjoyed this movie, it was truly a gem. Thanks for pointing the way Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post
I really enjoyed this movie, it was truly a gem. Thanks for pointing the way Ralph!

Greetings,

Sure thing Warren! I am glad you enjoyed it as well..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 16 Old 10-17-2015, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Reading Ralph's excellent review has me stoked to see this...it's next on my list for sure, especially coming off another indy gem, Mississippi Grind. When it comes to movies, there just isn't much that is more satisfying to me than an original indy film that really connects. I feel that these films tend to have a more authentic feel in general, and some of my all-time favorite films fall into this category.

Thanks for putting this on my radar, King....cant wait to see it!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-17-2015, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Reading Ralph's excellent review has me stoked to see this...it's next on my list for sure, especially coming off another indy gem, Mississippi Grind. When it comes to movies, there just isn't much that is more satisfying to me than an original indy film that really connects. I feel that these films tend to have a more authentic feel in general, and some of my all-time favorite films fall into this category.

Thanks for putting this on my radar, King....cant wait to see it!!

Greetings,

Sure thing AJ. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 16 Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
So once again, I am in completely agreement with Ralph on this one...definitely a very solid and well-deserved 4/5!

This is the sort of film where I find myself appreciating the editing afterwards...now editing is NOT something I typically care about at all, but with a film like this, they could have very easily tried to water down some of these scenes to extend the running time. I think the way they put it together was perfect, though. The tension was created early on in the very first scene, and built pretty consistently through to the end. Acting was very solid, and I felt that the director was perfectly fine allowing the story's simplicity exist without feeling the need to enhance it with all sorts of manufactured elements. In other words, I felt the director respected the viewer here.

Really solid film!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-21-2015, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
So once again, I am in completely agreement with Ralph on this one...definitely a very solid and well-deserved 4/5!

This is the sort of film where I find myself appreciating the editing afterwards...now editing is NOT something I typically care about at all, but with a film like this, they could have very easily tried to water down some of these scenes to extend the running time. I think the way they put it together was perfect, though. The tension was created early on in the very first scene, and built pretty consistently through to the end. Acting was very solid, and I felt that the director was perfectly fine allowing the story's simplicity exist without feeling the need to enhance it with all sorts of manufactured elements. In other words, I felt the director respected the viewer here.

Really solid film!

Greetings,

Awesome. Thanks so much for offering your thoughts Aj. I am glad that you enjoyed Cop Car as much as I did..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 16 Old 03-20-2016, 04:39 AM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Finally saw this one yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Overall a very decent film that was able to build some tension and maintain it throughout. Kevin Bacon is always good in these types of roles.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-20-2016, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Finally saw this one yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Overall a very decent film that was able to build some tension and maintain it throughout. Kevin Bacon is always good in these types of roles.
Greetings,

Agreed! Thanks for posting your thoughts Gov..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 5.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page