Edward Scissor Hands: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Big Brad

post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Edward Scissor Hands: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this Tim Burton classic that arrives on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this 25th anniversary edition that features an all-new remastered 4k video transfer.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 1990
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Drama/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 4.0 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest, Alan Arkin, Anthony Michael Hall, Kathy Baker, Vincent Price
Directed by: Tim Burton
Music by: Danny Elfman
Written by:Caroline Thompson based on a story by Tim Burton & Caroline Thompson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 13, 2015

"No matter what, Edward will always be special"

My Take:

In this modern fairy-tale film directed by Tim Burton, Edward (Johnny Depp) is a gentle, naive creation with razor-sharp scissors for hands. When he is taken home by a kindly Avon lady (Dianne Wiest) to live with her family, his adventure in the pastel begins!

Once upon a time in a castle high on a hill lived an inventor who's greatest creation was named Edward. Although Edward had an irresistible charm, he wasn't quite perfect. The inventor's sudden death left him unfinished, with sharp shears of metal for hands. Edward lived alone in the darkness until one day a kind Avon lady took him home to live with her family. So begins Edward's fantastical adventures in a pastel paradise known as Suburbia. Thanks to his fantastic talents, Edward becomes a neighborhood sensation, but when he falls in love with Kim, things spiral out of control and he must go to extraordinary lengths to protect her.

One of director Tim Burton's best and most recognized works, Edward Scissor Hands is a beautifully spun gothic tale with a quirky coming of age essence and fundamentally charming warmth. Undeniably Burton from an aesthetic perspective the film's production design/sets are as much an integral element to the story as its characters. I enjoy everything about this film, from its engaging and poignant narrative, to the marvelous cast (led by Johnny Depp), down to the pitch perfect production elements and direction.

Edward Scissor Hands has a timeless appeal that allows it to be shared from one generation to the next. It's hard to believe that it has been 25 years since its release. Watching it today on this 25th anniversary Edition Blu-ray felt like revisiting an old friend.

According to the press documentation from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment Edward Scissor Hands has been remastered with this Edward Scissor Hands: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray featuring an all-new 4k transfer. This new release is also available in an Anniversary Gift Set that, in addition to the newly remastered video and Digital HD Copy, comes with custom paper dolls, a heart shaped cookie cutter and a topiary air freshener that smells like fresh cut grass.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, brief violence and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 76
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Edward Scissor Hands: 25th Anniversary comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 4.0 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.9 Mbps.

This remastered 1.85:1 framed high definition presentation looks great on Blu-ray. Blacks are punchy with appreciable dynamic range that makes them pop while onscreen with both light and dark elements. Skin tones appreciable tonal depth, delineated highlights and lifelike texture. Color balance is excellent as both primary and secondary hues along with the variety of pastels appear vivid with clean rendering and pleasing levels of saturation. Resolution and overall clarity is quite good although sharpness can be minimally inconsistent. This appears innate and generally affects sequences which include special effects shots. Shadow detail is noteworthy revealing varying levels of detail in darkened backgrounds and low level sequences. I didn’t see any signs of the application of unwanted noise reduction or excessive manipulation. Images are well resolved with discernible definition and fair rendering of fine detail during close ups and mid-level camera pans. Grain is rendered in fine even layers that can become more noticeable against dark backgrounds. I never found it to be objectionable. I found this be a rewarding and faithful rendering that easily bests the previous high definition release.

The DTS-HD 4.0 Master Audio soundtrack (the same one found on the original Blu-ray release) delivers crisp, full bodied dialogue in a mostly frontal presentation that offers splashes of ambience and a few discretely placed off camera cues through the surround channels. The blend of music, voices and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with excellent clarity, fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the elements in the recording sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:
  • Making of featurette – 4 minutes
  • Audio commentaries by Tim burton and Danny Elfman
  • Theatrical trailers A&B
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

One of director Tim Burton's best and most recognized works, Edward Scissor Hands is a beautifully spun gothic tale with a quirky coming of age essence and fundamentally charming warmth. It comes to Blu-ray in this 25th Anniversary Blu-ray release that features all-new remastered video via a 4k transfer, that presents the film in its finest light since coming to home video. Edward Scissor Hands: 25th Anniversary presents fans with the opportunity to experience this classic film looking better than ever on Blu-ray and is a worthy upgrade that comes recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
freeman4, KMFDMvsEnya and Phrehdd like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I have the original release which suffered from gate weave (the movie wobbled from beginning to end) and also used a dated MPEG-2 transfer. Looks like I may pick up the new one considering it is one of my all time favorites!

As always, great review Ralph!
Ralph Potts and Phrehdd like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I have the original release which suffered from gate weave (the movie wobbled from beginning to end) and also used a dated MPEG-2 transfer. Looks like I may pick up the new one considering it is one of my all time favorites!

As always, great review Ralph!

Greetings,

Thanks Brad! Enjoy it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Going only from screenshot comparisons here, I'd say the detail contained in the new transfer certainly bests the old. Minor changes to color timing in certain scenes and the image looks slightly reframed, but neither of those bother me. What is readily apparent is that it looks like most of the film was shot with diffusion filters and the preview transfers tried to combat the soft look by adding sharpening.

Needless to say, I'm hoping to pick this up today as it has been a while since I've sat through the whole movie. On a side note: the movie was filmed near my hometown. Sadly, it looks nothing like it did in the film.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #5 of 5 Old 10-19-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
picked up the deluxe edition saturday, only a few dollars more.

I will start by saying I literally work 2 blocks away from the neighborhood where it was filmed. My dad worked in the area when it was being filmed and actually had to have a work pass and sat in his truck at times and watch them film it. I do remember going thru the area and they kept the animals bushes at another area in storage. Watching it now and trying to compare what the neighborhood looks now its hard to recognize it. Ive driven by the house or street in the past year just to check it out.

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 4.0

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page