Jurassic World 3D Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #31 of 224 Old 10-20-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 7140
Jurassic World, San Andreas, Pixels [Throws up] have some heavy and clear sound! movies that actually workout our systems. idk whats going on but i hope it continues right into Star Wars: Episode VII and beyond into the big movies we want to see.

Brian Fineberg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 224 Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Looking forward to the audio portion of this movie. As far as the movie itself; I was sadly disappointed with it. Very weak plot and contrived story line led to a pretty boring experience for me. Even the dinosaurs fell short for me in this one. It just didn't have the grandeur that the first or even the initial subsequent ones had.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #33 of 224 Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Thanks for the review I was curious about your audio score.

Frank

God Bless!.
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 224 Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 730
I agree 100% with you on this Ralph, awsome sound and almost perfect picture (2D Version), and I really enjoyed this one. It is not as good as Jurassic Park and why they did not do Atmos on this is unbeliveable, but the sound was awsome anyway and with DSU we get Atmos light...
post #35 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Watched it tonight in 2D. For sure the audio was impeccable and made more than ample use of the surrounds throughout the movie. The LFE wasn't as intense as when you watch a movie like Mad Max or Fast 7, but it was used appropriately and to good effect. What I really noticed about the movie from an A/V standpoint, however, was the incredibly crisp and vibrant picture quality. The lush forests popped with colour and the helicopter scenes revealed an immense depth to the picture while still maintaining razor sharp clarity.

As far as the movie itself is concerned, it is definitely a very fun popcorn flick. The close-up scenes with the sharp teeth bearing dinosaurs is getting old to be sure, but it's still fun. Chris Pratt did a more than serviceable job in his role, but I felt like there was something missing. I guess I was hoping for more humour, but this is an intense movie and he is confined to what's provided in the script, so...

All in all, though, it was a good purchase. I'm getting a bit pissed that it's the 2D versions that get the steelbook and not the 3D ones. I'm the one paying $8 more for the movie, shouldn't I be the one getting the damned steelbook?
post #36 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Awesome review!!!

Not that I personally care about immersive audio, but in terms of folks disappointed over the lack of Atmos... Honestly, it shouldn't come as a suprise on this specific title. This is Universal Studios and since "Jurassic Park" in 1993 was DTS very first official release why would they suddenly switch to Dolby for this? If anything it should have come with DTS:X immersive audio.

Universal + Jurassic = DTS.
The two sort of belong together.

NAD M17 V2 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #37 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Watched it tonight in 2D. For sure the audio was impeccable and made more than ample use of the surrounds throughout the movie. The LFE wasn't as intense as when you watch a movie like Mad Max or Fast 7, but it was used appropriately and to good effect. What I really noticed about the movie from an A/V standpoint, however, was the incredibly crisp and vibrant picture quality. The lush forests popped with colour and the helicopter scenes revealed an immense depth to the picture while still maintaining razor sharp clarity.

As far as the movie itself is concerned, it is definitely a very fun popcorn flick. The close-up scenes with the sharp teeth bearing dinosaurs is getting old to be sure, but it's still fun. Chris Pratt did a more than serviceable job in his role, but I felt like there was something missing. I guess I was hoping for more humour, but this is an intense movie and he is confined to what's provided in the script, so...

All in all, though, it was a good purchase. I'm getting a bit pissed that it's the 2D versions that get the steelbook and not the 3D ones. I'm the one paying $8 more for the movie, shouldn't I be the one getting the damned steelbook?
They had the 3D steelbooks at BB yesterday, but I bought the 3D slip cover one.
post #38 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Awesome review!!!

Not that I personally care about immersive audio, but in terms of folks disappointed over the lack of Atmos... Honestly, it shouldn't come as a suprise on this specific title. This is Universal Studios and since "Jurassic Park" in 1993 was DTS very first official release why would they suddenly switch to Dolby for this? If anything it should have come with DTS:X immersive audio.

===

If you read Ralph's review, and/or look at the back of the Blu-ray case, you'll see English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio. There's no Dolby listed.
post #39 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Very Entertaining.

I watched this movie on Tuesday night, and though it was very entertaining with some great underlying themes about greed, selfishness, family bonding. I also thought the movie was in line with Ralph's review with reference quality picture as well as sound. I actually thought there was a little more bass extension in this movie as opposed to San Andreas. Altogether, a great movie, indeed.
post #40 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperOne View Post
===

If you read Ralph's review, and/or look at the back of the Blu-ray case, you'll see English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio. There's no Dolby listed.
Uhm... I know.
You must have read my post incorrectly. Read it again

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #41 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Awesome review!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperOne View Post
===

Greetings,

Actually I believe what he is saying is that it should comes as no surprise that Jurassic World doesn't include Dolby sound due to DTS' past affiliation with the original Jurassic Park (first DTS release) and Steven Spielberg's affinity for DTS.

Regards,
RickyDeg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #42 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

^ Yes... I was refering to various folks over the web complaining that this release does not have Atmos... which belongs to Dolby.

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #43 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3564
I watched it last night; very polished picture, spartan faces (humans and dinosaurs), good sound vibrations (new "guy" with big teeth), ...overall a well created ride...I enjoyed, very.

In (((3D))) of course, and I'm glad to put this one along my Jurassic trilogy Blu (the 1st Jurassic Park also in 3D).

...And looking forward for the next release...on UHD/HDR...and with DTS:X
RickyDeg likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-21-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: clarity
post #44 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I watched it last night; very polished picture, spartan faces (humans and dinosaurs), good sound vibrations (new "guy" with big teeth), ...overall a well created ride...I enjoyed, very.

In (((3D))) of course, and I'm glad to put this one along my Jurassic trilogy Blu (the 1st one in 3D).

Greetings,

I am glad you enjoyed it Bob.

Regarding this being the first JP is 3D, I have to let you know that the original Jurassic Park was re-released on 3D Blu-ray as well. Here is my review: Jurassic Park 3D Review

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #45 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just couldn't get into this one. Truly a "turn off your brain and enjoy it" movie if there ever was one....but my brain kept turning back on to remind I was watching a mess
post #46 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
This was a fun time and the sound was on point! I added it to my horror movie watching this month since these Dino's are pretty scary and it didn't disappoint!
post #47 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I am glad you enjoyed it Bob.

Regarding this being the first JP is 3D, I have to let you know that the original Jurassic Park was re-released on 3D Blu-ray as well. Here is my review: Jurassic Park 3D Review

Regards,
That's what I meant Ralph; the 1st Jurassic Park in 3D. ...I wasn't clear, sorry.

* I have the Jurassic Park BR trilogy, but the first one is not in 3D from that package, so I had to purchase it again separately...for that 3D version.
Universal Studios, like all other movie studios...they know how to get more money from us.

And your review of Jurassic World is dead on in my book...excellent picture (3D here, ...2D later on) and sound and cool ride too.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-21-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #48 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
I just couldn't get into this one. Truly a "turn off your brain and enjoy it" movie if there ever was one....but my brain kept turning back on to remind I was watching a mess
If I were in a bad mood watching this film I may have the same sentiments as you. But, I was in a good mood and watched this movie with no expectation of it being real, and just enjoyed the picture and sound along with its story that i already know is incredible. The whole franchise is incredible. It's just escapism. Give it another spin.
post #49 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 04:43 PM

It was a cool ride because I was feeling like "in a bubble" ... like ride inside it. ...And that new guy with large teeth was trying to get to me...inside my bubble...with his big teeth. ;-)
post #50 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked: 4586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Jurassic World, San Andreas, Pixels [Throws up] have some heavy and clear sound! movies that actually workout our systems. idk whats going on but i hope it continues right into Star Wars: Episode VII and beyond into the big movies we want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

In (((3D))) of course, and I'm glad to put this one along my Jurassic trilogy Blu (the 1st Jurassic Park also in 3D).

This is in deed, a bummer

If Steven Spielberg was the director, I would have expect-it, since he love using grains in his movie.
But since it was a different director and UHD/HDR just around the corner, one would think all movies should try to be as sharp as possible.

For me, grainy picture, should be in the past when film was the only way to make a movie.
Now a day with all this new and present technologies, the picture should be as detail has possible.

Just my 5 cents

Ray
post #51 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Okay. Ran this through the system last night (the 2D collectible tin edition) with the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track playing in 5.1...

First: I'd like to echo the comment from another member here who mentioned the film didn't hold the same magic or sense of awe as the first film did -- I totally agree with this, though I don't think it was a bad film because of it; did it feel like we've been here before? Yes. Do the CGI effects honestly look very similar to what Spielberg was dabbling in on his 1990s original...even though we're in 2015? They do. But I like the way the plot touched upon and paid homage to the original what with the references to Hammond, the jeeps they end up finding that belonged to "Jurassic Park" and the end chase sequences in which characters and then the hybrid dinosaur run through what appeared to be the Visitor's Center from the first film. What I didn't like? B.D. Wong as the only actor to reprise a role from the first one (I always thought it would have been so cool if Jeff Goldblum came back as Ian Malcom and was like "Damn it, I TOLD Hammond about this place!!") and that he kind of goes "bad guy rogue" by wanting to steal the embryos, Bryce Dallas Howard's annoying running-in-expensive-high-heels character and the two annoying mop-headed muppets that were the lead kids.

But nothing will ever touch Spielberg's original -- and even Michael Crichton's novel it was based on, which I read and which delved into a lot more than the film could -- in terms of sheer magic, wonder, sense of awe and astonishment and scope...I STILL get goosebumps when Sam Neill is turned towards the creatures eating from the trees in that first one and his jaw drops to the floor in amazement as Hammond says, "....welcome to Jurassic Park...."

As for the disc, it looks like I am either going to have to eat proverbial crow or look into getting a better system -- I had mentioned in I think it was the Age of Ultron thread that if Jurassic World's audio track doesn't work for me, "I give up"...well, folks, I don't understand it myself, but to be honest this track ALSO didn't blow my skirt up. Don't get me wrong -- sonics were heavier and more aggressive than, of course, Age of Ultron, but it just didn't really floor me. From the very beginning, I had to crank this Master Audio track up pretty high to make out dialogue comfortably, and by the time the dinosaur attacks came (even the early scenes with the "trained" raptors) I didn't really experience any ground-shaking, wall-busting LFE or incredible surround activity (yes, I AM calibrated). The only time this mix really heated up in MY system was towards the end when the flying dinosaurs take flight and begin attacking the guests at the park and when the hybrid creature stomps around, finally battling the T-Rex at the very end...would you believe it if I told you these sequences DIDN'T resonate with wall-breaking LFE in my room? They STOMPED and had some WALLOP, yes, but nothing like I was really expecting. To be honest, I'd put it in the category of the first film's DVD DTS mix, which I always thought was a bit overrated (unlike the LFE on The Haunting's DTS-ES mix that can TRULY break some subs in half). To me, Godzilla's DTS-HD MA track had more bass than this, but it was definitely "sloppier" in delivery, whereas the LFE on the Jurassic World track seemed smoother and better controlled.

I am truly beginning to wonder if my AVR is "doing something" to these 7.1 tracks when playing them in 5.1 (something that was suggested to me with regard to this particular Onkyo model and its tendency to somehow "dumb down" the sound when 7.1 tracks are played back in standard 5.1), but then I cannot explain why Age of Ultron sounded crappy on my setup like everyone else's; honestly, Jurassic World seemed to have that "take the blanket off the audio" effect I have been experiencing with other 7.1-encoded DTS-HD MA mixes...perhaps my AVR needs a firmware update (though I don't think that is what's going on here) or perhaps I just need a gear upgrade (I DEFINITELY need a new sub; but the sub I have DOES dig deep and shake the walls when called upon, such as in rockers like War of the Worlds, U-571, The Incredible Hulk and even Live Free or Die Hard)...but I just wasn't knocked out by this title's audio.

The VIDEO, on the other hand, was largely spectacular (the 2D version) with sunlit, outdoor sequences depicting the park and the island glowing in eye-opening clarity, color saturation and sheer depth of field; indeed, some shots were so razor-sharp you could make out nearly every blade on a palm tree, while at other times the depth perception took on a three-dimensional quality that was quite startling. In more than one instance, Bryce Dallas Howard's stunning red hair could be seen with flyaway frizzies that the hair and makeup department didn't fix or left in for effect; either way, the result was hyper-realistic, lending a real you-are-there experience. Some sequences, like on all video transfers, switched to flat at times, rendering skin details a bit crushed as if some DNR was applied, but on the whole there was nothing wrong with the 1080p encode on this oddly-ratioed widescreen transfer (leaving most viewers with the extremely small letterboxing areas on top and bottom of the image).

The PACKAGING I give top ratings to -- for this Limited Edition Tin version -- as it looks pretty awesome sitting on my Blu-ray shelf facing outwards as a "special" title; unpacking it and getting to the discs inside the oddly-shaped cardboard holders was another matter, but it can be forgiven. Nice job here by Universal.

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 10-21-2015 at 07:37 PM.
post #52 of 224 Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@IntelliVolume ,

My sentiments are much the same as yours. I thought the audio was good, but I wasn't completely floored by it and although the dialogue seemed fine to me I did have to turn it up from -12 to -9 on my system in order to make it the same output as the vast majority of my other movies. That being said, the dynamics were great at that level and the LFE was good, but paled in comparison with Mad Max, for example. Am I being picky? Maybe. Perhaps other movies had overcooked bass and this one has "normal" levels of bass. Who knows? As far as the video side of things, again we're on the same page. It was, in a word, fantastic. It is definitely up there with the best of them and is without question demo worthy material.
IntelliVolume likes this.
post #53 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
@IntelliVolume ,

My sentiments are much the same as yours. I thought the audio was good, but I wasn't completely floored by it and although the dialogue seemed fine to me I did have to turn it up from -12 to -9 on my system in order to make it the same output as the vast majority of my other movies. That being said, the dynamics were great at that level and the LFE was good, but paled in comparison with Mad Max, for example. Am I being picky? Maybe. Perhaps other movies had overcooked bass and this one has "normal" levels of bass. Who knows? As far as the video side of things, again we're on the same page. It was, in a word, fantastic. It is definitely up there with the best of them and is without question demo worthy material.
Mad Max Fury Road had a compressed mix compared to Jurassic World.

The sound mix could have used distant dinosaur sounds (screams, roars etc.), especially as the IRex kills the herbivores. JP1 and JP2 used this to great effect and maintain tension even during the down scenes.
post #54 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post

The sound mix could have used distant dinosaur sounds (screams, roars etc.), especially as the IRex kills the herbivores. JP1 and JP2 used this to great effect and maintain tension even during the down scenes.
I think you didn't read my post properly. I said Jurassic World had great dynamics. It was the LFE that didn't pound as much, on my system, compared to Mad Max.
post #55 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I was half expecting a few complaints about the unusual 2.0:1 aspect ratio. Is it at least constant throughout?
post #56 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the great review, Ralph!

I watched the 2D version of Jurassic World on blu-ray last night and found it to be a fun ride. The video was great and the audio track had plenty of volume without me having to play with the audio controls beyond their normal settings. I'd even say that the audio sounded spectacular in certain scenes. I'll be watching this one again soon, but in 3D, so I'm thinking it might come off even better!

oz
post #57 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I usually watch movies in 2D because my dog chewed up 4 pairs of my 3D glasses 3 years ago and I never replaced them. I watched this with DSU enabled for Atmos (7.2.4)and it sure did sound great. Was a nice flick too! I probably invest in the 3D version and watch it again.

Side note: I watched my first full movie on my Oculus Rift DK2 and Bass Shakers attached to my chair with headphones. Outside of the crappy picture, it felt like I was at the cinema! I am going to invest in a nice set of 7.1 headphones and hopefully the release version of the Oculus will provide a better picture. I can imagine this movie would be epic in a setup like that.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #58 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
yep...if this track doesnt blow you away..its time to take a look at your system...this is the best audio I have had in my HT that isnt ATMOS

dynamic, bombastic and DEEP!
post #59 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Accidental double post.

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 10-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #60 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post

Really? I have been hearing that Mad Max is the current de facto standard of top-shelf audio...and you felt Jurassic World was BETTER?

Quote:

Agreed; I thought the whole mix could have been a bit more aggressive, as surround usage seemed to be a bit "lean" to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page