Jurassic World 3D Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #61 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
yep...if this track doesnt blow you away..its time to take a look at your system...this is the best audio I have had in my HT that isnt ATMOS

dynamic, bombastic and DEEP!

Brian,

Take a look at comments in the Software section under the Jurassic World thread -- there are quite a few people who are finding the same thing about the audio. It's far from POOR or BAD, but something could have been better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
I went through a lot of the movie last night in 2D and 3D (using a JVC RS57 projector).

This was a movie I figured I'd hate but ended up enjoying when I took my kids in the cinema.

Beautiful sound (within the confines that I still have issues with modern movie mixes, but that's another story).

Gorgeous 2D picture! Sharp, vivid, dimensional, colorful, you name it.

Trying out the 3D version: (At least on my set up, and every other I've seen) there were the usual compromises with 3D, the dimmer image, the color not being as rich. That said, I'm always amazed both at how sharp the 3D versions remain on screen, and what 3D can bring to the experience. 3D really added to numerous scenes. There was often more of a "really being there" sensation due to the depth, and the sense of actually "looking up" at dinosaurs. The 3D also helps untangle fairly dense action scenes, e.g. the
pterodactyls attack scene, and the raptors running with the motorcycle at the end. Once there is the added information of spacial separation, it's not only more realistic but sort of easier to pick out and comprehend what's going on.

I can also see why many people don't think it adds that much, especially if you have a smaller screen. I can vary my screen size and the 3D really does come to life once you get a suitably immersive image size, and becomes less compelling the smaller the image.
post #63 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
yep...if this track doesnt blow you away..its time to take a look at your system...this is the best audio I have had in my HT that isnt ATMOS

dynamic, bombastic and DEEP!
Tron: Legacy would like to have a word with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I went through a lot of the movie last night in 2D and 3D (using a JVC RS57 projector).

This was a movie I figured I'd hate but ended up enjoying when I took my kids in the cinema.

Beautiful sound (within the confines that I still have issues with modern movie mixes, but that's another story).

Gorgeous 2D picture! Sharp, vivid, dimensional, colorful, you name it.

Trying out the 3D version: (At least on my set up, and every other I've seen) there were the usual compromises with 3D, the dimmer image, the color not being as rich. That said, I'm always amazed both at how sharp the 3D versions remain on screen, and what 3D can bring to the experience. 3D really added to numerous scenes. There was often more of a "really being there" sensation due to the depth, and the sense of actually "looking up" at dinosaurs. The 3D also helps untangle fairly dense action scenes, e.g. the
pterodactyls attack scene, and the raptors running with the motorcycle at the end. Once there is the added information of spacial separation, it's not only more realistic but sort of easier to pick out and comprehend what's going on.

I can also see why many people don't think it adds that much, especially if you have a smaller screen. I can vary my screen size and the 3D really does come to life once you get a suitably immersive image size, and becomes less compelling the smaller the image.
Sweet! I find that watching movies in 3D somehow can sometimes make the images seem even sharper than their 2D counterparts. Maybe because of the separation in 3D space? Anyway, I'm glad to see you enjoyed the 3D. I'm looking forward to watching it again, but this time in 3D. I use full on CFI for 3D as I find the action scenes can make things nauseating without it. On my Optoma projector it's called Pure Motion.
post #65 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
I was half expecting a few complaints about the unusual 2.0:1 aspect ratio. Is it at least constant throughout?

I mentioned it in my original feedback post, though it was not a "complaint;" I simply called it an "oddly ratioed" transfer...in fact, it nearly filled my screen up completely save for very small letterboxing areas, which I actually prefer.

I always argued that films about creatures such as dinosaurs should be given the "taller" rather than "wider" filming ratios (well, directors should SHOOT in them, I mean) as Spielberg did with the first Jurassic Park (in 1.85:1 or 1.78:1), as it gives the monsters a sense of tall scope. I thought this was a mistake with the last Godzilla...
post #66 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
@Ralph Potts Hello, I am curious as to why there was no extension rating on this one because the spectrographs on the Subwoofers sub-forum shows that this title digs very deep; <10Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post

A fun and entertaining action adventure blockbuster with excellent lossless audio, and the bass is awesome! Taken from the Blu-ray Universal sent me, it hits hardest in scenes with the Indominus Rex, reaching down to 12Hz with serious weight, but the final battle against the T-rex is definitely the showstopper, hitting 4 and 7Hz with strong dBs. Really enjoyed this more at home than in cinemas.

Last edited by dtsdig; 10-22-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #67 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Tron: Legacy would like to have a word with you.
you have to be joking right>? that track is riddled with clipping...terrible imho

here is the data-bass report from measuring...the bass doesnt go deep either:

"Really good track, but look closely at the extension. Save for a few scenes, the average graph tells most of the tale. It's F10 is only 22Hz. The problem with this track is the clipping in the LCR and Surround channels (the LFE channel is suprisingly unaffected). An article reported that the director Joseph Kosinski went back and 'modified' the soundtrack for the BluRay release. Too bad. At first, I thought the clipping almost intentional, given Daft Punk's music style, but it is not always the case. 3 Stars for the clipping."

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; 10-22-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #68 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you have to be joking right>? that track is riddled with clipping...terrible imho
No, I'm not joking. Now you're being snide. Clearly my ears (as well as a plethora of Blu-Ray reviewers) hear something different than yours when watching Tron. I suppose we can agree to disagree on this. But since this is a thread on Jurassic World, this is all I'll discuss about it. Cheers.
post #69 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Brian,

Take a look at comments in the Software section under the Jurassic World thread -- there are quite a few people who are finding the same thing about the audio. It's far from POOR or BAD, but something could have been better...
i read 2 whole people who complained. (FAR from "quite a few").and I didn't see their list of system components so I have my doubts.

Ralph doesn't dole out 100's for audio like its candy...

I think anyone with a qualitysystem that is capable of high dynamics and is setup correctly (placements and EQ)...would have to be deaf to think this isnt one of the best audio blurays of all time
post #70 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
I always argued that films about creatures such as dinosaurs should be given the "taller" rather than "wider" filming ratios (well, directors should SHOOT in them, I mean) as Spielberg did with the first Jurassic Park (in 1.85:1 or 1.78:1), as it gives the monsters a sense of tall scope. I thought this was a mistake with the last Godzilla...
It was considerations like that which drove me to using projection with a flexible images size (using 4 way automated masking). I didn't want to be limited to any one image size that restricted all others (be it constant image width 16:9 screens, or constant image height 2:35:1 screens). For movies like Jurassic Park I always used to sit close to increase immersion and apparent image size. So Jurassic Park really were on my mind
in deciding on my priorities. So when I watched Jurassic World last night I just expanded the image to the fullest size possible (about 134" diagonal or so) and it felt like a walk-into-it vibe like I remember at the cinema.
post #71 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I think you didn't read my post properly. I said Jurassic World had great dynamics. It was the LFE that didn't pound as much, on my system, compared to Mad Max.
again...thats because Mad max doesnt extend as deep as this...so your system probably is better equipped to reproduce 30hz...as opposed to <20hz
post #72 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
i read 2 whole people who complained. (FAR from "quite a few").and I didn't see their list of system components.

Ralph doesn't dole out 100's for audio like its candy...

I think anyone with a qualitysystem that is capable of high dynamics and is setup correctly (placements and EQ)...would have to be deaf to think this isnt one of the best audio blurays of all time

Wow...

You're SERIOUSLY going to go there, with touching on people's gear and comparing it to others that may be more fortunate to own better setups? I am almost positive the people who commented DON'T run home theater in a box systems and regardless of what you say about "anyone with a quality system" - coming across like an audio elitist - and that this was a matter of professional EQ settings and such, I KNOW what my system is capable of delivering and when a well mastered disc passes through it....this was good, but not what it COULD have been.

I thought there were more than just two members who commented about the audio with regard to its slight shortcomings, but regardless, these aren't "complaints"....they're observations we've made.

My point was that other members heard what I heard as well and that it wasn't my system malfunctioning in some way.

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 10-22-2015 at 11:55 AM.
post #73 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Ralph - really appreciated your contrast and compare to J.P. I think your point was spot on why Park remains the most popular (to date) of the Jurassic movies.

I can't comment yet on this film as I have not seen it (and will definitely see it in 2D not 3D) but it seems to fit the pattern that the first movie will be the best as it requires more story telling and of course is "novel" where the audience experience is concerned. I am going to only guess that Park will remain my favourite of the lot and that this movie potentially would be my 2nd favourite. I look forward to renting it first, and buying it later to make a solid pair of Jurassic movies.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #74 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
again...thats because Mad max doesnt extend as deep as this...so your system probably is better equipped to reproduce 30hz...as opposed to <20hz
Yes, you are correct on that. My subs only go down to 17 hz, so the few that have subs that go lower than that will probably have a different experience. I think, though, that those who have subs that go lower than mine don't represent the majority by any stretch. I'm working on getting more subs in my setup, though. Three young kids makes free time nigh impossible.
Ralph Potts and SeeingWhite like this.
post #75 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Wow...

You're SERIOUSLY going to go there, with touching on people's gear and comparing it to others that may be more fortunate to own better setups? I am almost positive the people who commented DON'T run home theater in a box systems and regardless of what you say about "anyone with a quality system" - coming across like an audio elitist - and that this was a matter of professional EQ settings and such, I KNOW what my system is capable of delivering and when a well mastered disc passes through it....this was good, but not what it COULD have been.

I thought there were more than just two members who commented about the audio with regard to its slight shortcomings, but regardless, these aren't "complaints"....they're observations we've made.

My point was that other members heard what I heard as well and that it wasn't my system malfunctioning in some way.
please show me where i said "professionally eq'd" and a quality system makes no mention of money spent...YOU brought that up...a quality system can be had for VERY cheap if you shop correctly and know what to look for ...not to even mention DIY...I think some inferiority complex is coming out here...never have I stated "mine is better than yours or the like" nevermind take an elitist stance...but its hard to take someone who said "I had to turn up the volume as it was muted" on a super dynamic track seriously without knowing what they are listening on...i mean they could have a 1000.00$ center speakers jammed into a bookshelf cavity...which would blow the validity of anything they said about dialog...does that make sense? (its the EXACT reason ALL reviewers state clearly what the system they demo'd on was)

Quote:
Yes, you are correct on that. My subs only go down to 17 hz, so the few that have subs that go lower than that will probably have a different experience. I think, though, that those who have subs that go lower than mine don't represent the majority by any stretch. I'm working on getting more subs in my setup, though. Three young kids makes free time nigh impossible.
I know what you mean..I also have a 4yr old and an 18 mo old. And 17hz is very respectable (puts you in a very small elite group in the grand scheme of things)...I was merely referring to the "sweet spot" of your system...and how mad max plays to that strength better...so it can seem like MM was a better bass track....when in reality it actually is inferior..(not by much though lol)
post #76 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
@Ralph Potts Hello, I am curious as to why there was no extension rating on this one because the spectrographs on the Subwoofers sub-forum shows that this title digs very deep; <10Hz.

Greetings,

Complete and total oversight on my part! I have it in my notes but neglected to add the rating in the review.

Thanks for mentioning it. I will add it..

Regards,
dtsdig likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #77 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
please show me where i said "professionally eq'd" and a quality system makes no mention of money spent...YOU brought that up...a quality system can be had for VERY cheap if you shop correctly and know what to look for ...not to even mention DIY...I think some inferiority complex is coming out here...never have I stated "mine is better than yours or the like" nevermind take an elitist stance...but its hard to take someone who said "I had to turn up the volume as it was muted" on a super dynamic track seriously without knowing what they are listening on...i mean they could have a 1000.00$ center speakers jammed into a bookshelf cavity...which would blow the validity of anything they said about dialog...does that make sense? (its the EXACT reason ALL reviewers state clearly what the system they demo'd on was)

Really? I BROUGHT it up?

You did NOT say THIS:?

placements and EQ

There's so much I could go into about the way you're coming across but I simply don't have the time right this moment; and don't talk to me about an inferiority complex...that is NOT what is happening. You came across as being snide -- something Blaster picked up on initially too -- and elitist with regard to your setup, even if you didn't even realize you were, and I'm not wasting any more of my time on someone like that.

I KNOW what my ears HEARD and I AGREE with the other members who commented on the dialogue delivery and other quirks on this track; it definitely was NOT what it COULD or SHOULD have been.

Ignore list updated.
post #78 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Really? I BROUGHT it up?

You did NOT say THIS:?

placements and EQ

There's so much I could go into about the way you're coming across but I simply don't have the time right this moment; and don't talk to me about an inferiority complex...that is NOT what is happening. You came across as being snide -- something Blaster picked up on initially too -- and elitist with regard to your setup, even if you didn't even realize you were, and I'm not wasting any more of my time on someone like that.

I KNOW what my ears HEARD and I AGREE with the other members who commented on the dialogue delivery and other quirks on this track; it definitely was NOT what it COULD or SHOULD have been.

Ignore list updated.
You don't have the time but you wrote up a multi sentence response?

Correct I said placement and eq. YOU stated I said PROFESSIONALLY EQD. so again. How you interpret anything I said as my system is better than yours or there's is contrived and that's on you. Not me. I never once mentioned my setup. Period.

Glad to have made your ignore list. Thanks for making your immaturity public

Ralph. Apologies for interrupting your thread.
post #79 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Hmmmm, a rapidly aging Bryce Dallas Howard may as well have been wearing "mom jeans," throughout this movie, that's how little sex appeal she has. She was kinda cute in Lady In The Water, but now she's just......flat....and I do not mean that in any complimentary way.

As for the movie itself, I've seen more convincing acting in a FIFA soccer match! Just awful acting, awful writing, and the most ridiculous, contrived, predictable script ever formulated. I would say I hate this movie, but hate isn't a strong enough word. If I could, I would round up every copy and burn them in the town square, like it's 1933 Nazi Germany. Just thinking about the popularity of this film makes me feel like I'm living through the scene in Spaceballs where Dark Helmet discovers he is in fact, "surrounded by a**holes!"

post #80 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel
post #81 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Hmmmm, a rapidly aging Bryce Dallas Howard may as well have been wearing "mom jeans," throughout this movie, that's how little sex appeal she has. She was kinda cute in Lady In The Water, but now she's just......flat....and I do not mean that in any complimentary way.

As for the movie itself, I've seen more convincing acting in a FIFA soccer match! Just awful acting, awful writing, and the most ridiculous, contrived, predictable script ever formulated. I would say I hate this movie, but hate isn't a strong enough word. If I could, I would round up every copy and burn them in the town square, like it's 1933 Nazi Germany. Just thinking about the popularity of this film makes me feel like I'm living through the scene in Spaceballs where Dark Helmet discovers he is in fact, "surrounded by a**holes!"
\

And yet, this movie is the third highest grossing film in the history of cinema. It would appear that many people actually like leaving their brains at home.
post #82 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
\

And yet, this movie is the third highest grossing film in the history of cinema. It would appear that many people actually like leaving their brains at home.

Was it really, Blaster?
post #83 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Anyone else find that this DTS-HD MA track wasn't quite reference? Not only did I have to turn my master volume way up to compensate for a somewhat lower mastering level (though not as high as I had to turn the Age of Ultron mix), the wallops of LFE weren't as tactile as to take everything off my walls as I was expecting (this was, after all, a dinosaur picture)...
lgans316 and RickyDeg like this.
post #84 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
\

Hence, my Spaceballs reference.

post #85 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
It was considerations like that which drove me to using projection with a flexible images size (using 4 way automated masking). I didn't want to be limited to any one image size that restricted all others (be it constant image width 16:9 screens, or constant image height 2:35:1 screens). For movies like Jurassic Park I always used to sit close to increase immersion and apparent image size. So Jurassic Park really were on my mind
in deciding on my priorities. So when I watched Jurassic World last night I just expanded the image to the fullest size possible (about 134" diagonal or so) and it felt like a walk-into-it vibe like I remember at the cinema.

I wish I was as lucky as you, Hark, to have such a nice video system; as it stands, we don't even have room for a front projection setup and the way I'd want to do it to integrate it into our living room -- by installing a motorized lift for the projector to hide in the ceiling when not in use and having the screen also go up into a soffit -- is completely out of our budget.

In general, though, even with widescreen TV sets, I still say there's some "scope" to be enjoyed by filming these dinosaur titles in formats other than the super wide 2.35:1/2.40:1 variants...I was able to sense the "sheer sense of height" difference between Godzilla (in its 2.40:1 ratio, I think it was) and the Jurassic Park films even with my one-piece TV display; Godzilla's transfer appeared "squashed" in comparison (though the compositions were still right, of course) and on the Jurassic Parks, the creatures looked stories tall with a menacing height.
post #86 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Dang you guys like to rattle each other's cages (Dino Cages ha!)
post #87 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Dang you guys like to rattle each other's cages (Dino Cages ha!)

Hey! You're supposed to be confined to the Horror Film thread!

Just kiddin'; welcome to the dino discussion, Slipp!
post #88 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Glad to have made your ignore list. Thanks for making your immaturity public

Ralph. Apologies for interrupting your thread.

Greetings,

No worries Brian. Sometimes the high road is the best one taken..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #89 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Hmmmm, a rapidly aging Bryce Dallas Howard may as well have been wearing "mom jeans," throughout this movie, that's how little sex appeal she has.
It was all about the shoes.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #90 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

Ouch! C'mon morbidscope, she's got more going on than that!

Sorry this one didn't work for you but hey, I like the Spaceballs mention...

Regards,
morbidcorpse likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version