Jurassic World 3D Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #91 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Glad to have made your ignore list. Thanks for making your immaturity public

Right...

It wasn't me being "publically immature," it was an acknowledgement that I don't need to be involved with the kind of individual who feels better about himself by pissing on others. Period.

And I'm glad this whole thing is looked at as YOU taking the "high ground" when all I was doing was defending my position about what I heard on the disc with my own ears.

Incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 6415
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Glad to have made your ignore list. Thanks for making your immaturity public

Right...

It wasn't me being "publically immature," it was an acknowledgement that I don't need to be involved with the kind of individual who feels better about himself by pissing on others. Period.

And I'm glad this whole thing is looked at as YOU taking the "high ground" when all I was doing was defending my position about what I heard on the disc with my own ears.

Incredible.

Greetings,

Don't you see the common factor in all of this? You seem to find your way into these kerfuffles more regularly than I would prefer. Kindly tone it down or grow a thicker skin. Frankly speaking I don't care if you feel slighted by my remark as it was intended for you both not just Brian. Yeesh..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #93 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I mentioned it in my original feedback post, though it was not a "complaint;" I simply called it an "oddly ratioed" transfer...in fact, it nearly filled my screen up completely save for very small letterboxing areas, which I actually prefer.

I always argued that films about creatures such as dinosaurs should be given the "taller" rather than "wider" filming ratios (well, directors should SHOOT in them, I mean) as Spielberg did with the first Jurassic Park (in 1.85:1 or 1.78:1), as it gives the monsters a sense of tall scope. I thought this was a mistake with the last Godzilla...

I watched the digital copy on my projector and it was huge.. imax feel to it. meaning very big.

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Wow...

You're SERIOUSLY going to go there, with touching on people's gear and comparing it to others that may be more fortunate to own better setups? I am almost positive the people who commented DON'T run home theater in a box systems and regardless of what you say about "anyone with a quality system" - coming across like an audio elitist - and that this was a matter of professional EQ settings and such, I KNOW what my system is capable of delivering and when a well mastered disc passes through it....this was good, but not what it COULD have been.

Be very assured your intuition concerning intent of the member in question is supported by a well-documented track record of just such personal ridicule, denials and disingenuous apologies to Ralph notwithstanding. The member staged just such a patterned attack months ago in the MOVIES WITH BASS thread, prompting this from me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
...my system is not the best, no doubt about that -- represents only a little over $100K in electronics and speakers alone, but I do consider it quite adequate to accurately convey the flavor of a track....

That simple, completely accurate declaration had the member initiating, then spearheading, some sort of mob mentality campaign of personal ridicule that ultimately terminated by the intervention of Mike Lang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
100k in electronics and speakers?!?

Lol. Let me guess 1000$ cables?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...harts-735.html

^^^Toward the bottom of that page then proceeding to the next....

Never fear, Ralph has an extremely reliable record of policing this thread. I'm sure he quite understands that such bullying tactics are pernicious to the purposes of AVS in fostering/sponsoring open free-flow of dialogue, and that these pages must be kept free of intimidations which ultimately serve only to suppress broad and active participation.

Now tomorrow happens to be my big day in terms of being able to apply my ears to this track -- Ralph's judgment is the closest thing I've found to pure gold, but his is an impression as any other. I'll be looking to be entertained, first and foremost, so I can't say my critical ear will be onboard from the outset, but this film sounds as if it could be good enough to watch twice in a weekend!

I'll be listening on the second go round for possible anomalies, but I will be very candid -- I LOVE the sound of my system -- almost every modern movie released sounds wondrous -- waited a lifetime to assemble the system of my dreams, and have to say it pays off. Still....good to have the cooperation of the sound designer and mixer to aspire to greatness.

As to detractors, feel no compulsion to enter that fray -- I've found Ralph to be exceedingly steady in steering his section toward a positive appreciation of the cinematic confections we are gifted -- he himself always seems to strive to find complimentary aspects to highlight in even less than stellar efforts (PIXELS comes to mind).....

Last edited by Emaych; 10-22-2015 at 08:39 PM.
post #95 of 224 Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Well, while composing the above, I see that Ralph expressed himself in just that expected way I spoke of. Man! -- I do like constancy and reliability -- integrity, in other words -- in people!
post #96 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Really? I have been hearing that Mad Max is the current de facto standard of top-shelf audio...and you felt Jurassic World was BETTER?

Agreed; I thought the whole mix could have been a bit more aggressive, as surround usage seemed to be a bit "lean" to me...
Mad Max Fury Road (in my opinion) is a wall of sound (especially the bass) and bludgeons you into submission.

The Jurassic World mix on the other hand is well layered and uses dynamics well (and only when needed) to make the big set pieces (Mosasaur shark/pteradon eating and the final fight) seem bigger.

There does seem to be missing high frequencies, especially in the dino vocal sounds (when compared with JP1 and JP2 sounds), but then that could be explained by the genetic engineering done to create them.
post #97 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
There does seem to be missing high frequencies, especially in the dino vocal sounds (when compared with JP1 and JP2 sounds),
but then that could be explained by the genetic engineering done to create them.
That, I was just thinking the same. ...They're getting better @ it...less irritating sounding dinos, but still with a deadly "bite".
post #98 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Be very assured your intuition concerning intent of the member in question is supported by a well-documented track record of just such personal ridicule, denials and disingenuous apologies to Ralph notwithstanding. The member staged just such a patterned attack months ago in the MOVIES WITH BASS thread, prompting this from me:

That simple, completely accurate declaration had the member initiating, then spearheading, some sort of mob mentality campaign of personal ridicule that ultimately terminated by the intervention of Mike Lang.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...harts-735.html

^^^Toward the bottom of that page then proceeding to the next....

Never fear, Ralph has an extremely reliable record of policing this thread. I'm sure he quite understands that such bullying tactics are pernicious to the purposes of AVS in fostering/sponsoring open free-flow of dialogue, and that these pages must be kept free of intimidations which ultimately serve only to suppress broad and active participation.

Now tomorrow happens to be my big day in terms of being able to apply my ears to this track -- Ralph's judgment is the closest thing I've found to pure gold, but his is an impression as any other. I'll be looking to be entertained, first and foremost, so I can't say my critical ear will be onboard from the outset, but this film sounds as if it could be good enough to watch twice in a weekend!

I'll be listening on the second go round for possible anomalies, but I will be very candid -- I LOVE the sound of my system -- almost every modern movie released sounds wondrous -- waited a lifetime to assemble the system of my dreams, and have to say it pays off. Still....good to have the cooperation of the sound designer and mixer to aspire to greatness.

As to detractors, feel no compulsion to enter that fray -- I've found Ralph to be exceedingly steady in steering his section toward a positive appreciation of the cinematic confections we are gifted -- he himself always seems to strive to find complimentary aspects to highlight in even less than stellar efforts (PIXELS comes to mind).....
Greetings,

To me it's simple; stay on topic, keep personal problems (old or new) out of the threads where possible and post your impressions/thoughts of the subject's technical merits etc. once you have first hand experience.

I appreciate your comments and would ask that everyone respect the intended spirit of the Blu-ray review forum and AVS Community at large. Are we all perfect? No, but we can all agree that our intent is to share and enlighten. Let's keep personal agendas and thin skinned rhetoric off the table and continue to post without squabbling. You guys are all the BEST!

BTW - Be sure to post back after you've seen JW!

Regards,
Trebor Pyn, Nabs17 and lgans316 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #99 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
Ralph - really appreciated your contrast and compare to J.P. I think your point was spot on why Park remains the most popular (to date) of the Jurassic movies.

I can't comment yet on this film as I have not seen it (and will definitely see it in 2D not 3D) but it seems to fit the pattern that the first movie will be the best as it requires more story telling and of course is "novel" where the audience experience is concerned. I am going to only guess that Park will remain my favourite of the lot and that this movie potentially would be my 2nd favourite. I look forward to renting it first, and buying it later to make a solid pair of Jurassic movies.
Greetings,

Sounds good Phrehdd. I think JW makes for a fun companion to the Jurassic Park series.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #100 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,
I appreciate your comments and would ask that everyone respect the intended spirit of the Blu-ray review forum and AVS Community at large. Are we all perfect? No, but we can all agree that our intent is to share and enlighten. Let's keep personal agendas and thin skinned rhetoric off the table and continue to post without squabbling. You guys are all the BEST!

BTW - Be sure to post back after you've seen JW!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph, I am in great anticipation for my today delivery of three savory treats -- JW of course, but TOMORROWLAND and SA with the Rock, as well.

I certainly will post back after seeing this film, and for all who are interested, be happy to post my system components as they greatly inform my impressions. Of course I had already posted the system details in the BASS IN MOVIES thread, a few pages beyond the link I provided above, after the calamity had calmed. Here is where it can be found, post 22090, again, for all who may have interest:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...harts-737.html

Also herein, I would like to clarify any ambiguity regarding my comment above:

Quote:
I can see that in a previous iteration of your response Ralph, that you may have interpreted this to mean that I think you try to drive people toward liking a movie they may not. This was not my intended meaning at all.

I did say "steering your SECTION" toward positive posts and comments -- not at all implying you are looking to redirect someone's possibly negative appraisal of a movie, but keeping commentary within productive and civil guidelines to promote an enriching exchange. I know my wording was unclear, especially linked to my impression of you as someone who would emphasize the positives you find in movies -- that would be a reflection of YOU specifically as an glass-half-full person, which I take you to be, but not that you are looking to see others necessarily fall in line with that.

You can speak for yourself, and of course you did by saying exactly what you did -- and that was in keeping with my meaning of how you maintain and monitor the productive communications within your space. I thought it was incumbent upon me to clarify my comments however, and hope I did that?
post #101 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Thanks Ralph, I am in great anticipation for my today delivery of three savory treats -- JW of course, but TOMORROWLAND and SA with the Rock, as well.

I certainly will post back after seeing this film, and for all who are interested, be happy to post my system components as they greatly inform my impressions. Of course I had already posted the system details in the BASS IN MOVIES thread, a few pages beyond the link I provided above, after the calamity had calmed. Here is where it can be found, post 22090, again, for all who may have interest:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...harts-737.html

Also herein, I would like to clarify any ambiguity regarding my comment above:

I can see that in a previous iteration of your response Ralph, that you may have interpreted this to mean that I think you try to drive people toward liking a movie they may not. This was not my intended meaning at all.

I did say "steering your SECTION" toward positive posts and comments -- not at all implying you are looking to redirect someone's possibly negative appraisal of a movie, but keeping commentary within productive and civil guidelines to promote an enriching exchange. I know my wording was unclear, especially linked to my impression of you as someone who would emphasize the positives you find in movies -- that would be a reflection of YOU specifically as an glass-half-full person, which I take you to be, but not that you are looking to see others necessarily fall in line with that.

You can speak for yourself, and of course you did by saying exactly what you did -- and that was in keeping with my meaning of how you maintain and monitor the productive communications within your space. I thought it was incumbent upon me to clarify my comments however, and hope I did that?
Greetings,

Thanks Emaych. After re-reading your post I realized that was the case which is why I deleted and reworded that initial reply. I very much appreciate your comments, contribution and support.

I look forward to your thoughts on Tomorrowland and Jurassic World.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #102 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Watched Jurassic World again on blu-ray last night, but in 3D this time, and found it to be even better than the first viewing (in 2D). Overall, I was pretty well satisfied with the 3D on this film, even if it was fake 3D. The audio sounded great, and maybe better than the first time, although I did crank it up just a few clicks more.

Thanks again for the review, Ralph!

oz
post #103 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Watched Jurassic World again on blu-ray last night, but in 3D this time, and found it to be even better than the first viewing (in 2D). Overall, I was pretty well satisfied with the 3D on this film, even if it was fake 3D. The audio sounded great, and maybe better than the first time, although I did crank it up just a few clicks more.

Thanks again for the review, Ralph!
Yeah, got my shipment in! Started out on JW, at chap 8 before having to leave until another time. Got to say, I think I'm falling more toward the IntelliVolume impression here -- skirt not exactly blown up. Not finding the dialog detectably under-volume, but I'm experiencing distracting top-end shimmer and sibilance in the speech.

Little time now, and not finished with the movie, but I'm thinking this one might be one to evaluate relative to some others in much greater depth later....
thebland likes this.
post #104 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Yeah, got my shipment in! Started out on JW, at chap 8 before having to leave until another time. Got to say, I think I'm falling more toward the IntelliVolume impression here -- skirt not exactly blown up. Not finding the dialog detectably under-volume, but I'm experiencing distracting top-end shimmer and sibilance in the speech.

Little time now, and not finished with the movie, but I'm thinking this one might be one to evaluate relative to some others in much greater depth later....
Was there specific instances of the audio distortions? Could you provide general timecode the next time you watch it.
post #105 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Was there specific instances of the audio distortions? Could you provide general timecode the next time you watch it.

Greetings,

I would be interested in this information as well. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #106 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Was debating on ordering this or Avengers from Amazon but after reading this review I think I will go ahead and get Jurassic World 3d first. Can't wait to watch it next week.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #107 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Jurassic World, San Andreas, Pixels [Throws up] have some heavy and clear sound! movies that actually workout our systems. idk whats going on but i hope it continues right into Star Wars: Episode VII and beyond into the big movies we want to see.

Key word, Pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I watched it last night; very polished picture, spartan faces (humans and dinosaurs), good sound vibrations (new "guy" with big teeth), ...overall a well created ride...I enjoyed, very.

In (((3D))) of course, and I'm glad to put this one along my Jurassic trilogy Blu (the 1st Jurassic Park also in 3D).

...And looking forward for the next release...on UHD/HDR...and with DTS:X

Key words, very polished picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
This is in deed, a bummer

If Steven Spielberg was the director, I would have expect-it, since he love using grains in his movie.
But since it was a different director and UHD/HDR just around the corner, one would think all movies should try to be as sharp as possible.

For me, grainy picture, should be in the past when film was the only way to make a movie.
Now a day with all this new and present technologies, the picture should be as detail has possible.

Just my 5 cents

Ray

My reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I went through a lot of the movie last night in 2D and 3D (using a JVC RS57 projector).

This was a movie I figured I'd hate but ended up enjoying when I took my kids in the cinema.

Beautiful sound (within the confines that I still have issues with modern movie mixes, but that's another story).

Gorgeous 2D picture! Sharp, vivid, dimensional, colorful, you name it.

Trying out the 3D version: (At least on my set up, and every other I've seen) there were the usual compromises with 3D, the dimmer image, the color not being as rich. That said, I'm always amazed both at how sharp the 3D versions remain on screen, and what 3D can bring to the experience. 3D really added to numerous scenes. There was often more of a "really being there" sensation due to the depth, and the sense of actually "looking up" at dinosaurs. The 3D also helps untangle fairly dense action scenes, e.g. the
pterodactyls attack scene, and the raptors running with the motorcycle at the end. Once there is the added information of spacial separation, it's not only more realistic but sort of easier to pick out and comprehend what's going on.

I can also see why many people don't think it adds that much, especially if you have a smaller screen. I can vary my screen size and the 3D really does come to life once you get a suitably immersive image size, and becomes less compelling the smaller the image.

Key words for your post, "Gorgeous 2D picture! Sharp, vivid, dimensional, colorful, you name it."

I am a 2D person, so if it is the case, that would put a big in my face.
But the above are conflicting opinion with yours, one does not specified if it was 2D or 3D.
The other mention it was in 3D.

Maybe there is some hope for me, when I can watch-it

Ray
post #108 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well...audio distortions, I guess you could call it that, not sure I'm to that stage of analysis on it yet, and have not undertaken the resumption of viewing beyond chapter 8 as yet, but here is what I noticed: the very first moments Bryce Dallas Howard makes her entrance, there is pronounced sibilance, meaning unnatural prolonging, overemphasis of SSSSS sound in her speech, which is not an impediment, but a defect of the audio it seems. I then started to notice it throughout.

Part of what I was going to look at in detail later was comparing this to other tracks I have -- in what I consider to be the very best audio, one is never made aware of the sonic spectrum in human speech, in other words, you don't hear voice being channeled through your various drivers, it arrives as a sonic whole -- full bodied, natural, as in life -- and I happen to like voices large scale and intimate -- like the voice-over in MAD MAX -- very present, very much a whole.

In JW, I was bothered enough by tizzy, frazzled top end that I turned down my treble by means of the TONE section on my 7702, which I've never done previously. Don't get me wrong -- not sorry I have the disc, not a shameful effort, generally sounds pretty par, but....

And then the LFE -- more on this later, but compared to say the monstrous SOLID room-shuddering pressurization of RAGNAROC -- another monster lizard flick -- wow, LFE in JW leaving me pretty flat.

Shouldn't really be venturing the foregoing halfway through the flick -- I'm certainly willing to give it a chance, but I guess I sort of jumped the gun before, and so am explaining what I was referring to....
post #109 of 224 Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Picked this up tonight on 2D Bluray. Saw this in 3D at the theater and enjoyed it, but the audio at the theater was so low that I had a hard time hearing the dialogue over other people crunching on their popcorn. Can't wait to give this a spin this weekend.

I always you enjoy your reviews, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #110 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Picked this up tonight on 2D Bluray. Saw this in 3D at the theater and enjoyed it, but the audio at the theater was so low that I had a hard time hearing the dialogue over other people crunching on their popcorn. Can't wait to give this a spin this weekend.

I always you enjoy your reviews, Ralph!
Greetings,

Thanks Brad! I suspect that you'll find the experience at home to be much better..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #111 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright then, watched the remainder of JW. Watched TOMORROWLAND as well. Let me say that I'm not one to nitpick a reasonable effort, and JW is certainly that, but the sibilance issue earlier noted did not abate. It was mitigated by a TONE control adjustment, but the larger issue remained of the sound seemingly segmented into component frequencies which drew attention to the fact that it was an electronic facsimile. It never really seemed to come together as a cohesive whole for me.

Same observation vis a vis the low frequencies -- they didn't seem particularly bonded to the rest of the frequency spectrum. Sounded like sound effects to me. When lower frequencies were intended as part of the dino vocalizations, they did not generally seem fused within the roars, but erupted independently, albiet simultaneous to them. Also, and let me note, you're always likely to get out on a limb when trying to wrap words around a sound, but if I were to try to characterize the LF content of JW, it seemed of a more diffuse, "poofy", fog cloud type which kindof settled over or obfuscated the sonic landscape, as opposed to achieving instantaneous bonding with onscreen action.

To contrast, the LF in TOMORROWLAND slammed with solid impact like a dense fist, and some of the lowest tones had palpable, tactile gunk. Atmospheric flexion versus kind of a dispersed overbloom. Now of course there is great imprecision in those kinds of descriptions -- those were just the terms that came to mind to describe what I heard. Any impression is going to be room and system dependent, which is one very large reason why we seem to be hearing different things.

I'm fairly convinced the sibilance is a defect of the recording - it was distracting to me, took me out of the movie, but as to the LFE, I'm sure anyone else in a different environment will hear something entirely other. Now in MY environment, I'm fairly convinced most anyone else would hear what I'm hearing.

Now to a few system notes. I've been a member of AVS for many years -- possibly a decade or slightly more or slightly less. I don't advertise my system specifics -- not in my profile, have not generally made note of what components I have. As I pointed out above, I somehow got embroiled in a debate over the worthiness of a film track in another area, and kept getting this intimation that my gear must somehow be inferior -- that is the only thing that could possibly explain my disagreeing with the majority.

Eventually at length, I felt the need to disabuse the mob of this notion and used retail value as one shortcut indices of sonic fidelity -- not that a manufacturer can't put any price they want to on something, but if people pay that price, maybe there is a distinction of value there. Not only that, but my components have been very highly valued by reviewers who can critically evaluate all that the world has to offer. My main speakers, and I now have two pair, were purchased by the reviewer for STEREOPHILE after he reviewed some lesser MONTANA model.

That was very telling to me, but my ears had informed me years earlier that these were my speakers, but I was happy enough he agreed. I even assembled a good deal of what is now my permanent system before I even owned my own home -- that is how much sound means to me. As to my claim of $100K retail value -- that is not a boast, and comes about not because I am rich by any stretch of the imagination -- I assembled this system over a few decades and exploited every extreme technique to pinch pennies, including using disposable razors until they were more yanking out whiskers than shaving them, but this mission was high-priority!

-- Anyway, the basic system:

2 pairs MONTANA KAS speakers -- seven driver, four way, 400 lbs, 6' tall, works of art...

http://thesoundstation.com/pages/montana_kas

2 PLINIUS ODEON amps -- the best multichannel I've heard, tried PASS labs, KRELL, McIntosh, PROCEED, THETA, BRYSTON, SIMAUDIO, PARASOUND....

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/08/plinius-odeon/

2 JTR CAPTIVATOR S2s -- 4K watts apiece, 20 amp dedicated circuits for each

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s2/

1 pair MONTANA XPs for centers -- seven driver, four way, etc.

-- weak link is my MARANTZ 7702, but hard to invest in processors that lose value so precipitously after even months -- eventually I will upgrade, as did Ralph, to the 8802 or beyond...
post #112 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Alright then, watched the remainder of JW. Watched TOMORROWLAND as well. Let me say that I'm not one to nitpick a reasonable effort, and JW is certainly that, but the sibilance issue earlier noted did not abate. It was mitigated by a TONE control adjustment, but the larger issue remained of the sound seemingly segmented into component frequencies which drew attention to the fact that it was an electronic facsimile. It never really seemed to come together as a cohesive whole for me.

Same observation vis a vis the low frequencies -- they didn't seem particularly bonded to the rest of the frequency spectrum. Sounded like sound effects to me. When lower frequencies were intended as part of the dino vocalizations, they did not generally seem fused within the roars, but erupted independently, albiet simultaneous to them. Also, and let me note, you're always likely to get out on a limb when trying to wrap words around a sound, but if I were to try to characterize the LF content of JW, it seemed of a more diffuse, "poofy", fog cloud type which kindof settled over or obfuscated the sonic landscape, as opposed to achieving instantaneous bonding with onscreen action.

To contrast, the LF in TOMORROWLAND slammed with solid impact like a dense fist, and some of the lowest tones had palpable, tactile gunk. Atmospheric flexion versus kind of a dispersed overbloom. Now of course there is great imprecision in those kinds of descriptions -- those were just the terms that came to mind to describe what I heard. Any impression is going to be room and system dependent, which is one very large reason why we seem to be hearing different things.

I'm fairly convinced the sibilance is a defect of the recording - it was distracting to me, took me out of the movie, but as to the LFE, I'm sure anyone else in a different environment will hear something entirely other. Now in MY environment, I'm fairly convinced most anyone else would hear what I'm hearing.

Now to a few system notes. I've been a member of AVS for many years -- possibly a decade or slightly more or slightly less. I don't advertise my system specifics -- not in my profile, have not generally made note of what components I have. As I pointed out above, I somehow got embroiled in a debate over the worthiness of a film track in another area, and kept getting this intimation that my gear must somehow be inferior -- that is the only thing that could possibly explain my disagreeing with the majority.

Eventually at length, I felt the need to disabuse the mob of this notion and used retail value as one shortcut indices of sonic fidelity -- not that a manufacturer can't put any price they want to on something, but if people pay that price, maybe there is a distinction of value there. Not only that, but my components have been very highly valued by reviewers who can critically evaluate all that the world has to offer. My main speakers, and I now have two pair, were purchased by the reviewer for STEREOPHILE after he reviewed some lesser MONTANA model.

That was very telling to me, but my ears had informed me years earlier that these were my speakers, but I was happy enough he agreed. I even assembled a good deal of what is now my permanent system before I even owned my own home -- that is how much sound means to me. As to my claim of $100K retail value -- that is not a boast, and comes about not because I am rich by any stretch of the imagination -- I assembled this system over a few decades and exploited every extreme technique to pinch pennies, including using disposable razors until they were more yanking out whiskers than shaving them, but this mission was high-priority!

-- Anyway, the basic system:

2 pairs MONTANA KAS speakers -- seven driver, four way, 400 lbs, 6' tall, works of art...

http://thesoundstation.com/pages/montana_kas

2 PLINIUS ODEON amps -- the best multichannel I've heard, tried PASS labs, KRELL, McIntosh, PROCEED, THETA, BRYSTON, SIMAUDIO, PARASOUND....

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/08/plinius-odeon/

2 JTR CAPTIVATOR S2s -- 4K watts apiece, 20 amp dedicated circuits for each

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s2/

1 pair MONTANA XPs for centers -- seven driver, four way, etc.

-- weak link is my MARANTZ 7702, but hard to invest in processors that lose value so precipitously after even months -- eventually I will upgrade, as did Ralph, to the 8802 or beyond...

Your system is no doubt outstanding. Now please don't Take this the wrong way. But what is your room? It's size? Is it open or sealed. Is it treated? If yes. What treatments and where?

You (you in general NOT you necessarily) can have 100k in equipment but if you room is terrible than you might not be getting the best out of your gear. In a great room a 1000$ system can easily outperform a 100k$ system Ina. Bad room.

Again I NEVER want to intentionally be looking down on someone. There are WAY better setups than mine. And I am very humbled to have what I have. But I also know I spent lots of effort to create as close to perfect sounding room that I could with my budget. So my speakers possible can play higher than their relative cost.

Again my apologies for any misinterpreted comments. Written word never fully expresses what is truly meant.

B
post #113 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Your system is no doubt outstanding. Now please don't Take this the wrong way. But what is your room? It's size? Is it open or sealed. Is it treated? If yes. What treatments and where?

You (you in general NOT you necessarily) can have 100k in equipment but if you room is terrible than you might not be getting the best out of your gear. In a great room a 1000$ system can easily outperform a 100k$ system Ina. Bad room.

Again I NEVER want to intentionally be looking down on someone. There are WAY better setups than mine. And I am very humbled to have what I have. But I also know I spent lots of effort to create as close to perfect sounding room that I could with my budget. So my speakers possible can play higher than their relative cost.

Again my apologies for any misinterpreted comments. Written word never fully expresses what is truly meant.

B
Well, this is certainly not the venue to detail every aspect of my sonic environment, so I won't, but I have no trouble whatsoever agreeing completely with your stated premise. Room is HUGE in what you hear -- especially with regard to low frequency propagation and impact -- in one area of my room, I'm bouncing out of my seat -- in another, I'm questioning that that could possibly be four 18s and 8K watts.

With regard to the sibilance issue however, though I've not specifically done this, that could be easily ascertained near-field just by drawing close to the middle part of my speakers -- I'm thinking that would verify what I heard in the recording without room characteristics playing a part, but as you accurately point out YMMV!
post #114 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Mad Max Fury Road (in my opinion) is a wall of sound (especially the bass) and bludgeons you into submission.

The Jurassic World mix on the other hand is well layered and uses dynamics well (and only when needed) to make the big set pieces (Mosasaur shark/pteradon eating and the final fight) seem bigger.

There does seem to be missing high frequencies, especially in the dino vocal sounds (when compared with JP1 and JP2 sounds), but then that could be explained by the genetic engineering done to create them.

I also found some high frequencies to be "missing;" in general, though, I feel like this could have been mastered either a bit hotter or more aggressively...there were moments when objects flying across the screen should have landed in the rear soundstage but didn't (or did very subtly) and I was disappointed in that regard.
post #115 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked: 3682
Picked up JW 3d today and looking forward to giving it a spin for the audio experience mainly, but also the 3d/PQ. I was not a fan of the actual film when we saw it in the theater (My GF and her 2 boys loved it FWIW) as the characters were horrible/cheesy IMO to the point that I had a hard time getting around it for whatever reason. I'm just going to focus on the fun dinosaur parts/action and technical merits though.

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-24-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Removed inflammatory response
post #116 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
I watched the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. The audio was excellent. My only complaint will be the lack of an atmos track. Nevetheless, with the DSU engaged it sounds pretty good.
On the 3D video, I didn't think it was that bad. On the 2D side, I think your review is spot on.
The lack of Atmos is astonishing, especially for a Jurassic Park Movie....
post #117 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you; I see what happened in that thread. It seems to be one to remain completely out of.
Well, looks like our friend Toe will be just as happy I've been out of that BASS thread too -- not that I'm not up to carving out a place there if need be -- I think I could -- but why? My purpose there was only ever to highlight some little heard about, unheralded bass gems I had encountered -- figured I didn't need to add to the traffic on widely anticipated and commented on known bass movies.

But then there is the wading through it all...fine, don't need to bring any movies to anyone's attention -- I already know about them. Besides, never made any secret of the fact I couldn't care less about graphs and such -- if JW measures superior to TOMORROWLAND, that was not my experience, so of what value is it? Even if it matched my experience?....

Please note: last two sentences above, entirely rhetorical conjecture, just an opinion, does not indicate answers solicited, explanations desired, what have you -- just my misguided judgment wreaking havok on reality again, as per usual.....
IntelliVolume likes this.
post #118 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, looks like our friend Toe will be just as happy I've been out of that BASS thread too -- not that I'm not up to carving out a place there if need be -- I think I could -- but why? My purpose there was only ever to highlight some little heard about, unheralded bass gems I had encountered -- figured I didn't need to add to the traffic on widely anticipated and commented on known bass movies.

But then there is the wading through it all...fine, don't need to bring any movies to anyone's attention -- I already know about them. Besides, never made any secret of the fact I couldn't care less about graphs and such -- if JW measures superior to TOMORROWLAND, that was not my experience, so of what value is it? Even if it matched my experience?....

Please note: last two sentences above, entirely rhetorical conjecture, just an opinion, does not indicate answers solicited, explanations desired, what have you -- just my misguided judgment wreaking havok on reality again, as per usual.....

Without wading through the myriad of white noise imbedded in the last couple of pages of this thread, did you find the LFE on Jurassic World lacking (on the Blu-ray)?

With regard to Tomorrowland, the video was absolutely jaw-droppingly reference; THAT is how 2D 1080p encodes should look. The sound was appropriately measured and balanced, but it wasn't quite a foundation-shaker...
post #119 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Quote:
Without wading through the myriad of white noise imbedded in the last couple of pages of this thread, did you find the LFE on Jurassic World lacking (on the Blu-ray)?

With regard to Tomorrowland, the video was absolutely jaw-droppingly reference; THAT is how 2D 1080p encodes should look. The sound was appropriately measured and balanced, but it wasn't quite a foundation-shaker...

Greetings,

Enough is enough. Any further mudslinging will result in thread banning. I haven't the time or energy to continue to sift through this senseless banter. Any further responses other than to discuss the topic of this thread will be deleted.

Regards,
Nabs17 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #120 of 224 Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Removed inflammatory remarks and or off topic posts. Let's move on...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page